Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Fresh Start

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof1.png
Wearing: XoXo
Equipment: Concealed lightsaber
Tag: Aiden Rennek Aiden Rennek

Briana shoved her hands deep into the pockets of her overcoat to warm them against the crisp autumn air that whipped loose strands of chestnut hair across her face, quietly waiting at one of the many tables atop one of Coruscant's very few rooftop garden cafes.

The space itself was large and open, with pillars carved to look like curving vines of exotic blooming flowers and delicately sculpted fountains tapered in such a way that it blocked out the scene of the metropolis rising from below them.

One of the few places a person could go and pretend for a blissful moment that they weren’t on the city planet. Of course, nothing compared to the once picturesque views of her homeworld, but it did manage to bring her a modicum of peace.

A serene, hidden jewel. Sheltered from everything else. A perfect meeting location between old friends.

When Briana had found Aiden in that alley way a few nights before, she hadn’t hesitated to drag him home or tend to his wounds, and it was because of him that she’d managed to drag herself away from the Jedi and her little sister long enough to enjoy a small reprieve.

The circumstances for their reconciliation had been unfortunate, but simultaneously fortuitous, causing something unexpected in the young Sal-Soren who found her normally guarded resolve slip.

A certain understanding laid between herself and the burly Corellian, a common thread of loss that connected them on a similar plane of existence, finding that his presence could quiet the relentless squalls that tore at her soul. Around Aiden, she knew that she neither had to explain herself, nor even need to speak at all. Briana could simply be.

Moments passed.

When, at last, the sensation of his presence in the Force broke through her reverie, Briana lifted her eyes and smiled. As a strong-willed girl, she’d never been the type to wilt easily at the influence of girlish flimsy to the more masculine persuasion. Growing into an even stronger-willed young woman, this trait was nigh missing from her entirely. A likely result of the various women who held influence in her life, resolving in Sal-Soren that she would never be one to easily melt.

And yet…

Being within Aiden’s orbit once again made her test that resolve. Roughly three years older than her, give or take, and at least seven inches taller, he'd always cut quite the imposing figure in a crowd. Briana shook off the thoughts.

She didn't need to be thinking of him that way. She was not looking for a relationship, there was enough on her plate as it were and she assumed the same could be said for him.

This was just... a meeting between old childhood friends. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Swallowing softly after catching his eye, Briana waved him over.

JediD.png

Last edited:

div1.png
For weeks now, Aiden had been moving from one cantina to another, drinking and fighting away his problems without actually addressing them at all at the same time. But as if the Force was with him somehow as well, everything changed when one altercation forced him down against the pavement and reunited him with an old friend. Almost immediately, Briana had turned everything around for him, and not just because she patched up his injuries.

She had given him hope that things could change and get better.

That wasn't the only reason he was looking forward to meeting her again for lunch, though. Whenever he saw her, he felt something inside that could actually break his confidence and calm exterior. She wasn't the overly competitive girl anymore he used to challenge to just about any type of game — she had changed into quite the extraordinary woman.

So after she had given him the details of her favorite place, he had actually done his best to look presentable. Some nice jeans, a clean shirt, shaven properly and he had even gotten some cologne as well. The only problem was — it took him a little longer than he expected to find this place. So by the time he arrived, he was practically sprinting up staircases until he burst through the door and reached the rooftop cafe.

He looked around somewhat frantically, hoping he hadn't gotten here too late but was relieved to see her sitting at a table. She waved him over with a smile, and for a second or two, he straightened his posture, adjusted his shirt, and took a deep breath. Be cool, he told himself before he made his way over to her.

"Sorry I kept you waiting... I entered the wrong skyscraper and, well uh, there are a lot of stairs." He flashed a slightly nervous grin and lowered himself into a seat, where he finally relaxed some.

"It's a great day for lunch outside though, and you picked an amazing spot," he continued as his green eyes met her blues, and he found himself lost for just a second or two.

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof1.png
Equipment: Concealed Lightsaber

"I guess I can forgive you this time," Briana teasingly remarked, feigning exasperation as her lips pulled up into that trade-marked Corellian grin she shared with her father. "but don't make a habit of it."

Aiden was all at once that same boy she remembered from her frequent childhood trips to Corellia, and yet a different man entirely, shaped by his harrowing experiences within the Alliance, boasting a maturity that had been lacking before. In certain respects, it was difficult to reconcile that he was the same person she'd grown up knowing.

"It's a great day for lunch outside though, and you picked an amazing spot," Aiden told her, holding her gaze long enough that it caused an unexpected heat to simmer through her veins. Briana made herself look away from those lovely green eyes, picking up the menu on the table to distract herself as she mustered every fiber of her being to keep her expression impassive, feeling wholly ridiculous at the sudden rush of shyness that came over her.

"It is nice, isn't it? One of my favorite places on Coruscant," She replied casually, finally finding the courage to look up at him and offer a smile, "much more relaxing than being down in the city itself. You're actually the first person I've had the chance to share this place with."

When they seemed to be settling into the flow of conversation, a member of the waitstaff appeared to take their orders, quickly jotting down several notes of their individual items before hustling back to the kitchen.

As soon as they were alone again, Briana leaned forward, folding her hands beneath her chin. "You look really good by the way, and smell better, too." She teased, raising her brow at him before going on to prob about his personal life. They had covered some of it, but there were still a lot of unknowns. "So, what have you been doing lately? Ya'know, beyond waiting for pretty girls to rescue you? What's brought you to Coruscant?"

JediD.png

Last edited:

div1.png
"I wouldn't dare to," he said with a smirk in response to her teasing, something he was quite used to from her. Yet at the same time, she still felt so very different from the old days. Considering it had been five years, it was only logical, but there was a lot more to it than just time. They both reached new heights in their lives, they have both been to hell and back, and now they were fighting hard to go into the future stronger.

Through both suffering and success, they had matured.

With a smile, he kept his gaze locked until she finally broke it to glance down at the menu, which sparked him to do the same. As confident and calm as he likely appeared to her, it wasn't that easy to be like that around her, so he needed the momentary distraction. But when she began to speak again, he couldn't help but quickly look up to admire the beautiful smile, "Yeah, this is a lot better than some of the places I've been to recently," he admitted with a chuckle. "And the first person? I'm flattered," he teased back a little.

A waiter then finally appeared, and he placed his rather large order — he was a big guy, so he ate a ridiculous amount. It almost made him feel embarrassed to order it, but he was far too invested in his conversation with Briana to really feel self-conscious.

When the waiter finally left, he watched as Briana leaned forward and continued her teasing, "I did my best for you, and you look stunning... as always." Briana had always been amazing at maintaining a very appealing appearance, but for some reason, he could only answer if he looked deep within, it really stood out to him now.

"So, what have you been doing lately? Ya'know, beyond waiting for pretty girls to rescue you?"

"Hey, it did work though," he winked and smiled for a moment longer before his expression turned a little more serious, "I'm here on medical leave, although physically I've mostly recovered from the ambush. They just felt it was best I took more time away from the war, so I've been doing a lot of nothing. It has been driving me insane, so I'm feeling very relieved to have someone familiar to talk to."

He paused and turned as the waiter set their drinks down on the table before he relaxed in his chair and kept his eyes on her, "I assume you're here because you're staying at the Temple? I heard it was opened again recently. The training going well there?"

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof1.png

"I did my best for you, and you look stunning... as always."

Briana fought the blush that bloomed over her dusky skin, trying to play it off as she took a sip from the water glass in front of her, secretly pleased with his comments after having put intentional effort into her appearance.

Not that she would openly admit that.

"Thank you," she responded coyly, looking up at him over the rim of her glass, unable to help her grin. The easy flow of banter between them felt uncomplicated and easy, for once, helping her forget the problems that existed outside of this moment. With her friends, her family, the constant barrage of war. It was the sense of finally being grounded in a bit of normalcy - something Briana felt was sorely lacking in her life since Naboo.

As the conversation pulled on and Aiden explained his situation, there was something in the way his demeanor shifted that tugged at her.

"I'm here on medical leave, although physically I've mostly recovered from the ambush. They just felt it was best I took more time away from the war, so I've been doing a lot of nothing. It has been driving me insane, so I'm feeling very relieved to have someone familiar to talk to."

"That's understandable," she replied, nodding along. "I imagine that'd be quite maddening, so I'm happy being able to offer a distraction." The idea of being stuck with nothing to do but think about everything that had gone wrong after an assignment, of being stuck in your head with no recourse, nor anyone around that could understand what you were going through was a terrible position to find oneself. She knew firsthand how exhausting that was, making more sense of why she'd found him in such a stupor a few nights prior.

"I assume you're here because you're staying at the Temple? I heard it was opened again recently. The training going well there?"

As Aiden spoke, Briana's eyes widened marginally, watching as a growing mound of food arrived. She subtly surveyed the assortment, trying not to snort. Brandyn had always been a bottomless pit as well.

"I have a room at the temple, but I don't typically stay there. I share an apartment with my partner, Iris Arani Iris Arani ... which is... a long story." she responded casually, slicing into her bit of quiche and speaking between bites. "As for training, I'm actually just getting back to it myself. I'm a little rusty. I took an extended leave of absence after Naboo, and honestly? For a little while I wasn't sure if I wanted to return to the Jedi, but eventually I realized that the life I thought I wanted didn't really fit who I am now. So, I decided to come back."

Briana reached for the porcelain teapot left on their table, pouring herself a steaming glass and offering one to him before promptly wrapping her hands around the mug, enjoying the warmth that seeped in through her skin. "Currently I'm a Padawan to Valery Noble," she admitted, a hint of pride sparkling in her eyes at that admission. "but I'm hoping once I'm deemed up to snuff again, that I'll be back in the field and working on assignments. Hopefully with a Knighthood in the future."

JediD.png

Last edited:

div1.png
While Aiden had been a little nervous about coming here, he was still attentive enough to pick up on the way she responded to what he said. The gentle blush, the way she hid behind her glass — it was so unusual for Briana's confidence to be shaken by anything that it stood out to him, as a friend who really understood the strength of her personality. It also didn't show, but the way she smiled or teased him made him want to hide his face in much the same way.

So it wasn't something he'd comment on, but deep down he felt strong emotions stirring, now that he had even just the slightest feeling that his feelings could be mutual.

"I imagine that'd be quite maddening, so I'm happy being able to offer a distraction."

"It makes a huge difference," he said in response to confirm it again after he had explained his situation. Now that he had someone to talk to and some things to look forward to, that desire to retreat to a cantina in the lower levels had really started to fade away. Sure, going out for drinks or to have fun was still something he'd enjoy, but no longer would he drink just to numb the pain he felt inside.

Aiden then shifted the conversation to her own situation as a Jedi, and listened with a bright, and especially encouraging smile. She seemed happy about the decision to return to the Jedi, and proud about who she was training under and alongside. It made him remember the fun he had in training and on his first assignments. "If anybody can become a Jedi Knight, it'll be you. Whenever you really go for something, you've always been able to succeed," he said as he accepted a cup of tea as well and held it between his hands.

"Within a few years, I'm sure we'll see your face everywhere alongside your Master's," he said with a grin to challenge that competitive side a little in her. "Just... you know, stay safe out there, yeah? I'm sure I don't need to tell you of all people that the war is hard, but take good care of yourself." And without really saying it out loud, he'd also make sure to be there for her, the way she was here for him now.

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof2_2.png

Briana had spent a good portion of her life being trailed by boys and stringing many of said boys along, always keeping them at arms length. Only one other had ever made her experience that same meaningful swell of emotion that now rose afresh beneath her breast, an unspoken weight that would take more than a single afternoon for Briana to properly sort out as she listened to him speak.

She wasn't eager to repeat the mistakes she'd made with Vizion Trozky Vizion Trozky , especially not with someone as equally important to her as Aiden.

"If anybody can become a Jedi Knight, it'll be you. Whenever you really go for something, you've always been able to succeed," he told her, accepting the cup of tea she provided him. "Within a few years, I'm sure we'll see your face everywhere alongside your Master's,"

"No pressure or anything." Briana laughed softly, giving him a look that told him she knew what he was trying to do. "But thank you. That means a lot coming from you." They were both strong-willed and determined individuals, and Briana had always felt like Aiden understood her better than most, first forging a bond when they met at the humanity athletics competition on Corellia, discovering a mutual love for a good challenge and the thrill that came with victory. She'd taken home the gold medal that time, though it had been a close race between the two of them.

"Just... you know, stay safe out there, yeah?" Aiden told her, his tone taking on a more somber note, noticing a tick in his jaw. "I'm sure I don't need to tell you of all people that the war is hard, but take good care of yourself."

"You don't need to worry, I've always been able to handle myself.” Briana tried to reassure, quietly touched by his concern and the warmth that came from it, it made her feel cared for. “but if things get too bad, I know who to find.” A cheeky smile graced over the rose of her lips, then finally, she took a cursory sip of her tea, finding that it’d cooled enough to enjoy a proper sip. “So, do you have an idea of when they want you to return to the field?”

JediD.png

Last edited:

div1.png
"You don't need to worry, I've always been able to handle myself."

That was quite an understatement, and Aiden knew better than most that she could handle herself. He had, after all, gotten his ass handed to him in more competitions than he'd ever want to admit. But she also knew that his worry came from a good heart, and not the belief that she wasn't able to keep herself safe.

"Good, I've always got your back," he promised with a smile. They had gotten in trouble together a few times in their childhood as well, and never did he have to fear her running and leaving him alone. Similarly, he always stood his ground as well.

"So, do you have an idea of when they want you to return to the field?"

"A few weeks at most, but it depends on..." his voice trailed off and his eyes disconnected from her own, instead shifting passed her but in a way that suggested he was gazing off into the distance. His brows furrowed into a frown and very suddenly, he jumped up from his seat and towards her over the table, "Get down!" he called out, less than a second before the loud blast of a sniper rifle echoed between the chasms created by the tall skyscrapers.

Using his body and the momentum he had, Aiden knocked Briana to the side and onto the ground, thereby putting himself in the line of fire instead. The crimson bolt of plasma struck his chest, and without even a slight yelp of pain, he hit the floor as if no life flowed through his body anymore. But after a few seconds that likely felt much longer, he began to twitch and tried to muster all his strength to speak. "Bri..." he muttered, but he wasn't able to get out anything more than that.

The sniper was already starting to move, realizing that there wasn't going to be a second shot. Briana had a choice to make — attend to Aiden or ensure the one responsible was caught.

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof2_2.png
Equipment: Lightsaber

What happened after she heard him yell for her to get down. and in the chaos of the moments after, passed by in a blur.

ZZZZZAPPP

The high pitched scream of a thousand shards ripped through the air, a portion of the glass railing that encompassed the cafe exploding into radials of glittering dust as the shot passed through.

A frenzy of shouts rose out of the voices of the cafe's other guests, Briana finding herself shoved to the ground, a litany of curses sworn down her tongue as her mind raced to register all that was happening, slowly rising from the floor to watch Aiden’s massive body crumple in a heap. She loosed a shuddering gasp, each breath echoing every thunderous heartbeat inside her ears. Without hesitation she lunged to his side, hooking an arm beneath his massive body to try and prop him up. The idea of losing him after only just being reunited with him, unsettled her more than anything else ever had.

Years after this incident, Briana would wonder if she’d ever felt as much relief as she did after those excruciating moments when Aiden finally whispered her name…

“It’s going to be okay,” she rasped, cautiously looking over the gaping wound that would ultimately kill him, if she didn’t act fast.

It made her wish she was a more well practiced healer, knowing only one technique that could save his life now, the same one she'd performed on Valery when she and Iris had rescued her from Kahlil's clone all those months ago. Closing her eyes, Briana once more placed her trust in the Force - in summoning that kernel of power, her own life's essence that resonated when she reached out for it, like plucking a stringed instrument.

Her long fingers hovered shakingly over Aiden’s bloodied chest, imaging herself dropping that bit of light that she’d summoned into his flesh, concentrating the energy as the tatters of skin knit itself back together.

Once she was certain that he was going to be alright, Briana pulled herself achingly to her feet, her breath fast and her bones aching with weariness, but pressing on. Transference never came without its consequences, but as she always did... Briana pushed through the pain, grasping her lightsaber in hand and rushing off to find their attacker.

JediD.png

Last edited:

div1.png
"It's going to be okay,"

In his current state, nothing that happened around him really registered. His body was in pain and soon he'd likely pass out from just that or the blood loss. But somehow Briana's words cut right through all the noise within his mind, allowing his eyes to open and find her own. She had him propped up and he could see the fear in her eyes when she looked at the massive wound in his chest. But there wasn't just fear.

He could see strength as well, and that determination she always had when she needed it most.

Aiden did his best to offer a reassuring smile but closed his eyes again when her hands settled on his chest to heal him. He was starting to black out, but before he did, his mouth opened and he managed to speak softly, "Go get him, Bri," he whispered to encourage her to go after the assassin but most of all, to let her know it was okay to leave him here. "But when you get back, and if I make it..." he paused and opened his eyes once to look at her. "Let's do this again? Just... you and I."

He felt cheesy asking for it at a time like this, but he didn't know just how potent her healing was — he barely knew anything about the Force. So for all he knew, this could be the last time he ever saw her.

div1.png
While Briana patched up the wounded Marine, the assassin decided it was time to leave. The attempt to kill Briana had failed, but she was on high alert now, and no matter how trained he was, messing with Jedi was too much. So as quickly as he could, he disassembled the large sniper rifle, put it back in its case, and began to run down the staircase of his apartment building.

Surely, there was no way she'd catch up, right?

Bri4_1.png

JediD.png

Brianaprof2_2.png
Equipment: Lightsaber

"Go get him, Bri," he whispered to encourage her to go after the assassin but most of all, to let her know it was okay to leave him here. "But when you get back, and if I make it..." he paused and opened his eyes once to look at her. "Let's do this again? Just... you and I."

"If? Count on it." she said with an adamant smirk, trying to keep that small seed of fear from edging her voice, trying to reassure him in any way she could as he drifted off. "You die on me and I'll be dragging your sorry ass back from the Netherworld, you hear me Rennek?" Briana didn't leave until she could be sure that Aiden was still alive after he'd drifted into unconsciousness. "I'll be back, I promise." she said, more for her own comfort than his, at this point, a sense of urgency driving her to find the one responsible.

---------------------------------​

She knew from the trajectory of the bolt and the angle it shot through Aiden, that whoever was targeting her had been shooting down at them, which meant they would be up high. Extending her awareness upwards and sensing what seemed to be a human presence in a hidden alcove up top, was enough to send her vaulting in that direction.

The Force propelling her, Briana moved like a swift juggernaut on the wind, cutting through the air in hot pursuit of the person who tried to murder her and put Aiden's life at risk. By the time she'd narrowed down his location, Briana was in a near trance, her pulse racing from the hot adrenaline coursing in her veins and her cerulean lightsaber ignited by instinct, sprinting the final distance to reach her quarry who was starting to run down the staircase.

Reaching through the Force, Briana grabbed and pulled, jerking him into the air and gesturing him back towards her. It would have been easy to pull him onto the tip of her lightsaber and run him through... bloodlust and anger was not the Jedi way.

With a decided bob of her throat, Briana deactivated her lightsaber and returned it to her belt, holding him suspended.

"You should have known better than to try and out run a Jedi," she said, slowly letting him down, but keeping her grip. The man's hair was black as a starless sky, with darkly tanned skin and features so sharp and angular that he looked like a predator in the shadows. His clothes seemed well made, suggesting he wasn't some street thug or petty criminal, but a professional. "Who sent you?"

JediD.png

div1.png
"You die on me and I'll be dragging your sorry ass back from the Netherworld, you hear me Rennek?"

Aiden snorted and finally rested his head against the ground, relieved that he had been able to ask her out and thereby reveal just a part of his deeper feelings, and he was even happier that she accepted the offer. Now there really was no doubt left in his mind — he was going to make it for her. "I know you will," he then said, both in response to being dragged back from hell if he were to die here today and to her promise that she'd come back for him.

She always did when he really needed it.

His eyes closed and slowly, all sound around him began to fade as his vision blackened and the lack of energy, blood loss, and pain sent him into a deep slumber. But one he would awaken from because of Briana's help.

div1.png
There was no running.

He hadn't even made it down a single floor before an invisible grip pulled him back, and the voice of the woman he had wanted to kill echoed in his mind. This was the risk of the job he had accepted — to try and kill a Jedi was risky, and she was trained by some of the best, and known to be a type one shouldn't mess with.

He took his chances, gambled, and lost it all.

"You think I'll tell you anything, Jedi?" he grinned, as he looked up into her eyes, deciding to spend his final moments tormenting her. "How is your boyfriend doing? Never seen a man drop so fast." He expected to get hit at this point, so he braced himself for whatever she'd do, before continuing.

"You'll never find us, but I can assure you... I won't be the last. You and those close to you will never be safe," he warned her before he fiddled around with something in his mouth, bit down, and cracked open a pill with a lethal dose of some kind of chemical. Within a second or two, his mouth filled up with foam, his body began to tremble, and the light in his eyes faded out.

He was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom