Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Drop in the Ocean (Diplomatic Reasoning)

Kaer 1, Kaer
Siskeen System

The honeymoon suite was located on Level 2. Included in the price was anonymity. Only the richest of the rich or those who knew someone important could afford such a decadent display of exorbitant spending. And the honeymoon suite was perfect for discretionary rendezvous. There were two personal shuttle pads and a skyhook available for this particular suite. The central room had one way glass that offered a titalizing view while retaining privacy for the residents within. Circular in design, a couch ran the edge of the recessed center with muted colors of lavender and stark black accents. The table before the sofa had every upgrade imaginable, which included a top of the line holo projector.

The two empty landing pads rested on the balcony with walkways leading to the exterior doors that opened into the suite. The skyhook floated serenely above filled with a select number of his own personal guard, chosen from his most devout guards and calling from his brother’s clan. Muad had offered only a few words of advice. “If you’re getting your rocks off, don’t choose a balinka, that's all I’m saying. And if this is of more import, take care to remember we both have allegiances that must not be severed. Otherwise have fun! Oh, and the bed is fire retardant ner vod.”

Sitting quietly on the sofa was a man dressed in a smartly angled obsidian colored suit, a crimson tie fitted snug to the collar that matched the ruby glow of the man’s dark eyes. Black hair was accented by the suit while his paler skin almost gave him a sickly pallor. Lips were perused as he read through several files while glancing at dossiers and maps that corresponded directly with his imminently arriving guest. A clandestine meeting to leave no trace or record of having ever occurred.

Fingers steepled slightly as eyes flickered from one holo image to the next, his body remaining in stilled repose as only his eyes revealed the rapt attention and concentration offered. This would be an interesting meeting, perhaps ending disastrously or possibly coming to a mutually beneficial arrangement. The end result was, as of yet, undecided. All he knew was as the President of the United Siskeen Coalition and appointed Viceroy that the situation must be handled delicately. He refused to damn his people to blood and war at their very doorstep.

War would not be fought on his planets if he could help it.

There had to be an alternate path, one that would save thousands, and possibly millions, of lives. One wrong step could doom them all whereas the correct step could make the Siskeen System even stronger.

Time would tell if he would be remembered as a liberator from certain war and savior … or he would be cursed for bringing about an armageddon.

Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter

re3GLA.png

Derek Dib Derek Dib | Annasari Annasari | Myrium Okar Myrium Okar

She was always nervous when she had to go into Confederate space. It was hardly any secret by this point that one morning, the Confederacy had woken up to find themselves missing one of their busiest combatants, along with her sister who was one of their combatant leaders, and a handful of other people. Since that day, Scherezade had been incredibly careful about coming back, always choosing to use Sith Infiltrators or other stealthy ships to get there.

Since the Confederacy First edicts though, she had become even more careful. Using stealthy ships now wasn't enough. Not by a long shot. Now she was using old tactics she'd before used when dealing with the Sith Empire, changing ships, names, papers, leaving a crumb trail that could take weeks to finish following. By the time its origin could be located, she was already gone.

And today… Today was something she'd yet to quite do.

It wasn't too long ago that it was Roon she had come for, saving her aunt and a handful of more people from the tyrants that wanted to crush them for reasons she didn't yet fully understand, after so many years of relative silence. But Roon, despite the traumas it had floated, had been easy. It was a come in and get out job.

Siskeen though… Siskeen was different. She was not here to get anyone of-fplanet, she was not here to kill anyone on the planet. She was here to talk.

Normally, Scherezade sent other people in her place when talking was needed. She was too blunt for this work of politics, and even as a spy had fared much better by peacocking than being sneaky. But there was no place to peacock now. A gut feeling, down to the very depths of her stomach, let her know that this was that one time in which she wanted to remain extra careful.

Changes of clothes, wigs, and eye contacts had been brought to this mission for that purpose, not just for her but for her associates as well. Even skin color tints were available. Though neither Myrum nor Annasari had never been Confederates and were probably unknown to them, she preferred to play it safe than sorry.

And all this for what.

Scherezade had always known that the Confederacy thrived on lies. Every planet she had helped them add to their net, she knew would never see freedom unless it was taken from them by violence, or until the Confederacy collapsed under the weight of itself. And now Siskeen, a planet that in all truth, had mostly been overlooked since the day it might as well have become occupied, wanted… Freedom.

And that was the promise, wasn't it?

Scherezade could admit that this… This was the hardest thing she'd chosen to do so far, since leaving the Confederacy. She knew that if the meeting was successful, those who thought themselves to be above her would dance over her potential grave, would try to make the mockery she had received seem like a fond memory as they set the bar for it higher. And yet, after a few minutes of genuine worry, all she could do was laugh about it.

Let them.

The Scherezade who was part of the Agents of Chaos was an entirely different beast than the Scherezade who had been part of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. She was calmer, happier, and better in every way, especially the deadly way. If they wanted to hurt her, they would have to kill her. Her heart was no longer available to them. To any of them.

Stepping off the platform with her companions, the smile on her face was genuine as her eyes looked for Derek Dib Derek Dib behind a large pair of statement sunglasses. This was not the capital, but it was easy enough to understand why the capital was not their meeting place.

Derek Dib wasn't there, but she… She could smell him? the Blood Hound shook her head. She could scent several, and some of them seemed familiar enough, but she couldn't place a face to the scent. It didn't matter. Whoever they were, they weren't an immediate danger, especially since she was not without any of her usual weapons.

Motioning for her companions to follow her, she walked carefully into the suite, her senses always searching for that danger she hadn't noticed quite just yet. Just because you were sometimes paranoid didn't mean that they weren't after you.

"Derek Dib?" she asked, looking at the man on the couch. Yes… She remembered him. Well no, not she, but a memory taken from her sister who had guarded one of those boring viceroyal meetings, "Hello, Viceroy."

As the ship landed, Annasari's nervousness grew. Since boarding earlier that day, she had been a ball of both excitement and anxiety. For some time she had wandered the galaxy, looking to find a cause to devote herself to- and Agents of Chaos had given her what she was searching for. Never had she been on a political mission though, and flying into Confederacy space amid the recent events made her extremely uneasy. She attempted to shake the feelings and tell herself she could do this. Though her mouth had gotten her into trouble before, there were many scenarios where it had done her favors, and she hoped this would be one of those times.

As the crew exited the vessel, Annasari pulled her hood over her head in an attempt at concealing herself. Though Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter had said the green contacts and blonde wig she had been forced to don would be enough, Annasari couldn't help but feel exposed. As they entered the suite, she was taken aback by the resplendence of the decoration. It had been very secretive as to who they were meeting, but apparently whoever it was had saw the need to flaunt their wealth by renting the best room in the place. She scanned the room, and spotted the man sitting up on the couch. She raised an eyebrow and offered a shy smile as way of a greeting.

As Scherezade spoke, Annasari sucked in a sharp breathe, hearing the mention of "Viceroy". Though she wasn't well versed within the world of politics, she knew what kind of weight the title held. She felt as though she should bow, then reconsidered, not wanting to cause any awkwardness. She instead would settle for words.

"It's nice to make your acquaintance, sir." She offered up, the smile staying on her face in an attempt to turn up the charm.

He watched as the two women approached from outside, noticing the slight turning of one of their heads as though a hound catching an interesting scent on the wind. But one of little import. Then they continued toward the doors leading to the suite. He glanced once more to the dossier he was reading on Scherezade, his eyes briefly viewing known abilities and apparent personality changes. A slight frown tickled his lips downward as he waved a hand clearing the projections into nothingness. The women entered and advanced as he slowly began to rise to greet them as a gentleman should.

Scherezade acknowledged him by name, and then title, and the second woman lent him a courteous greeting as well. Cautiously he gave a slight bow of greeting to the ladies, being sure never to break eye contact with them. Yes, this was a meeting of diplomatic aspirations of sorts, but he learned in his time to never offer full benefit of doubt to strangers. Or to reasonably known acquaintances. His right hand out swept over the circular table activating the motion detectors to raise an assortment of beverages from hidden compartments below. Straightening he clasped his hands at the small of his back, his tailored suit jacket opening just enough with the movement to reveal the 48. Enforcer pistol in a shoulder holster. He wasn’t flaunting the fact that he was armed but neither was he attempting to conceal the fact. It merely was.

“Ms. deWinter, it is with hope that we may curtail certain pleasantries and step off the abyss into the depths of purpose set before us. And please, avail yourself of the refreshments. I have already partaken myself.”

He nodded to the single crystal decanter and flute which rested near where he was previously seated. An emerald ale rested in the finely crafted flute. Crimson ringed eyes nodded silently as he mused over the introduction.

“Let us dispense with formal titles, especially as the coming conversation would seek to remove such fancy and empty airs that those within the Confederacy seek to cloak themselves with. I am Derek, a concerned citizen of the United Siskeen Coalition. And the two of you are advisors from without the government and its cloud of influence. Make yourselves comfortable.”

He eased back to his seat and slowly sank once more into its cushions while never taking his eyes from his guests. Reaching out he collected his glass with fingers lightly gripping the stem. One leg crossed across the other knee as he took on a relaxed pose upon the sofa. Arching a brow, he waited for the women to make themselves, as the old saying went, at home.

Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter I Annasari Annasari

"If you're Derek, I'm Scherezade," the Sithling grinned in response to the Viceroy's statement. If there were any surveillance microphones that he had lying around, or had not removed, it was too late anyway, from the very moment he'd said deWinter. Scherezade had run several times through the Confederate databases during her time with them, both before and during her service with the Ministry of Secrets. She knew exactly who the deWinters were that were there - a single viceroy for Ando, who had never had contact with the rest of her family. The girl would most likely remain safe, and if she didn't, it would be grounds for another attack on the Confederate Empire.

Still though, now that they were all open about it and whatnot, Scherezade removed her brown wig; for some reason she had decided to take on the I want to speak with your manager look and sported a short bob that was longer in the front. The wig was carelessly placed on the edge of the table, her actual hair, a mixture of blondes, reds, and ravens that mixed into a brown, fell down to the middle of her back. Her glasses came down next, and she slapped the back of her own head, letting the contacts fall into the other hand. Dull brown eyes were now replaced with the intensive glow of her own green. And then came the wide smile.

Not much to do about the clothes though; the generic young adult jeans and tee would have to keep fulfilling their purpose. If Annasari Annasari wanted to do the same, she was more than welcome to, but Scherezade had no intent of telling her that. The girl was new, but also untested. This.. Would hopefully give her the experience she could use to grow into one of the formidable Agents within the organizations.

Grabbing a seat on the other edge of the sofa, Scherezade was already holding a glass in her hands, though there was no liquor in it; instead, she'd used the cold cream often poured into certain cocktails, with a few ice cubes instead.

"We're here because of the message we received," she continued, her voice light, as though they were discussing the latest holoflicks. But someone who paid attention, would easily note the more serious tones beneath the way she formulated her words and tone around it, "Our goal in this galaxy is open and does not require interpretation. If the United Siskeen Coalition seeks to be independent… We are available. The only thing remaining to discuss, unless I am about to find a knife between my shoulder blades, are the details."

Scherezade looked to Annasari Annasari . Damn. She hoped the woman wasn't taking too many lessons from her. In battle, in fighting, sure. In politics? Her bluntness and inability to hold proper small talk was probably not any sort of good for these things.

Annasari's shy smile grew into her larger, more confident one she normally sported as the man spoke. She walked over to the table and poured herself a gracious drink, almost filling the glass to the brim. She then found a spot on the couch where she nestled in comfortably. If the amenities were there, she was going to take advantage of them. She watched Scherezade's actions closely and followed suit, first pulling down her hood, then removing the wig and contacts. She blinked a few times and flipped her hair over her shoulders, feeling much more at home in her own skin without donning the disguise.

As she listened to the woman speak, she began putting two and two together in her mind. It sounded as though their leader was trying to put allies together for a potential assault. Judging by where they were and the recent Confederacy First edict, she thought she had put together what was being planned.

"The only thing remaining to discuss, unless I am about to find a knife between my shoulder blades, are the details."

This last sentence made Annasari cringe on the inside. She may not know how to play the diplomat, but her time on the streets had taught her you never want to give the potential enemy any ideas. She leaned forward and bit her lip, hesitating. She was unsure of speaking out of turn, but she felt as though she should soften the bluntness. She let out a soft laugh in an attempt to hide her own uneasiness.

"I'm sure resorting to violence is the last thing any of us wants. We are here to serve the people of the galaxy and deliver them the freedom that should be their birthright. Judging by the fact you are meeting us here today, I presume your goals must fall in line with our own. I won't speak for you, but I will say that the Agents of Chaos plans to do everything in its power to help rid the galaxy of tyranny, and the toppling of that power is about to begin. The only question that remains is how you plan to help us in bringing this freedom to your constitutes."

Annasari leaned back once again, first looking at Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter for approval, then at Derek Dib Derek Dib for a reaction.

Last edited:
He leaned back, listening to their responses even as he took a sip from the cool alderaani ale. A tart yet refreshing liquor, the ale reminded him of less tumultuous times, times when war and the threat of war didn’t hang so heavy in the air. Yet even in such times of unrest he knew that peace wasn’t just a mirage that flickered in and out of existence based upon the whims of nature. Peace could be obtained, yet he wasn’t so naive to believe peace was a lasting existence. War and peace were two sides of the same coin. Cycles that circled one another endlessly. It was a simple truth that the majority of sentient beings couldn’t fathom or grasp.

It was the same reason neither the Jedi or Sith would ever win a final outcome against the other. Nature didn’t work that way. Not even in such simplified and important terms of life and death.

“The Agents of Chaos have many definitions by many interested parties. Terrorists and liberators. Killers and soldiers. Righteousness and tyranny. A desire to lend aid to those unable to help themselves and a gluttonous villainy based on their own lust for chaos. Who will decide what your legacy will be? Those that come after with the clear vision of hindsight and eyes looking through the filters of the victors. For the winners write the history books and, more oft than not, their knowledge on the very subject they write about is skewed by their culture. So who are you, who will you be, and how will you be remembered?”

He sighed while rubbing his face with one hand and returning his drink to the table before sinking once more into the embrace of the lavender sofa. Crimson eyes wearily watched the women as he thought for a few moments of silence.

“Everything is open for interpretation. Live in the world of politics and you will discover every word has a double meaning, every look a nuance, and friends become foes while enemies become allies. Everything is open for interpretation. As for a threat upon your life I shall take a phrase from my brother. If I ever decide to kill you we will be looking at one another, you will know I’m coming for you, and it will not be a surprise. Pretty straight forward I believe. Yet another interpretation is I will kill you if I deem it appropriate, however I could order your deaths or even simply alert certain authorities to your presence deep within Confederate space and now it doesn’t become a direct threat from me but rather an indirect menace of your personal well beings. Interpretation and wordplay are more dangerous than a fight, ladies.”

He turned to Annasari where she perched on the couch.

“Violence and the threat of violence are what brings peace. If someone tries to tell you otherwise, I wouldn’t drink what they are selling. And I would never say you won’t fight to topple power. But that’s the easy part. Fighting for a cause is freeing and the justification of your decisions is liberating. The hard part comes after. Finding a way to live after the victory is won. And that, that is the purpose of our meeting. The details.”

He reclaimed his flute of ale.

“The question becomes, what do you want from your participation? What do you expect? And will you follow a plan or do you expect to lead? What qualifies as a victory for you and your people?”

Scherezade's gaze flickered to Annasari Annasari as the woman spoke, managing to just keep the expression of surprise off her face in reaction to her words. The passion as she spoke was almost contagious, though Scherzade would never say something about that in their present situation. The girl spoke almost like a zealot, her belief in her own words thick and tangible.

Taking a sip from her drink, she looked to Derek Dib Derek Dib again as he answered. And answered. And answered. Not for the first time since embarking to this planet, she wondered if she'd been the right person to send on this mission. She had the most experience in smuggling herself into these territories, but the speaking… She wasn't even certain whether or not the man was playing with words to make her feel threatened, or playing with words to make her think whether or not she was being threatened.

Much as she wanted to philosophize with this man, she knew she was under equipped for the moment.

Thankfully, he ended his monologue with questions, and those questions were of the type that she was well equipped to answer, even in rapid-fire mode.

Scherezade smiled. "I want to push the Confederacy back from its Eastern border," she said. No dancing around the point, no talking in circles, "And that is precisely what a victory will mean. Siskeen, free of Confederate rule, free of Confederate taxes, and free of Confederate presence unless they're paying as tourists. A place in the galaxy that they can no longer claim is theirs. That is what I want, and not only for Siskeen. I want to break their organization, step by step, until the southern systems can sing of their freedom. And you… You, present an opportunity for the first step in that direction."

Taking a sip from her drink, she paused a moment to gather her thoughts before answering the remaining questions.

"Lead or be lead would depend on the plan," she continued, "I don't know your system as well as you do. You don't know my Agents as well as I do. The only way to make an effective plan if we want to cooperate, is to cooperate from the start." Again she paused. How often had she followed the plans of others? A mere year ago, it was war after war after war. She had fought for the Confederacy, going against the Jen'ari Empire, the Mandalorian Empire, and the New Republic. She had fought with the Silvers and the Core Confederacy against the United Mandalorian Clans. And she had always followed the plans made by others. It was only in recent months that she had become an active part of the planning, but for the chance to succeed, to make it in an attack against one of the strongest organizations in the galaxy… She would follow a plan, and with pride, if she agreed with it.

And when it came to violence, most found Scherezade incredibly agreeable.

"I do not send anyone to fail," was the answer to the last question, "If we come here, I expect us to be victorious. There are more fun ways to die than to throw yourself in front of the Confederate machine is you don't care why you're dying."

Smiling, she took her final sip from her drink, "If you want to see evidence for our word," came the last words, "Take a look at Alderaan and Kuat. We have managed to push both the Republic and the Grayson Imperium from those areas, and we are in good standing with the Queen of Alderaan. Once the two planets were liberated from their would-be oppressors, we left. Neither Kuat nor Alderaan owe us no credits, owe us no military stations, owe us absolutely nothing, and know that the next time, they can call back on us and we will do what we can to either defend it, or if timing is an issue, help liberate it again."

Last edited:
Annasari had almost choked on her drink as the Viceroy spoke. He was a cheeky one, she'd give him that. He had managed to deliver what felt like a backhanded insult while maintaining the demeanor of pleasantry. Annasari knew there was much to learn from him, especially if she was going to delve any further into the world of politics.

When the other woman replied, a moment of shock washed over Annasari. Hearing the full scope of what was planned for the first time, her excitement grew, barely being contained at this point. When victory was mentioned, she attempted to maintain a straight face, but a cocky smirk flashed across her cheeks for a second before she regained her composure. She had never seen a full-scale battle before, but she imagined herself emerging from a fight, knowing she had managed to wound one of the vast and tyrannical organizations of the galaxy. It was an easy thing to picture, and she found herself desiring it deep in her soul.

"My colleague is correct. If we enter battle, we don't die trying, we win." She said matter of factly. She took another sip from her glass before continuing. "That being said, there will be casualties- but that is a sacrifice we are willing to make if it means ending the terror the Confederacy has created. In my personal belief, what comes after should be up to the people. We just give them the ability to choose. And if someone was to make sure their people knew what kind of role they had played in helping them reach this point... who would we be to say otherwise? You could be a martyr, a liberator, the saint that delivered them from evil. In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity."

She took a big gulp of her drink after she finished speaking. Annasari thought she had encountered stress before, but her other experiences paled in comparison to this. She was stumbling through the dark, trying her best not to trip over every syllable. She could feel her face slowly becoming red, and all she could hope was that the Viceroy would be slightly convinced by her words.

Derek Dib Derek Dib | Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter | Myrium Okar Myrium Okar

Last edited:
The fever and belief in their words resounded in their voices. They 'believed' what they were saying. Their impassioned statements filled him with emotional jubilation. And fear. Charismatic was the word for the day and yet, logic was ever at the forefront of Derek's mind. He personally witnessed the power of the Confederacy, so did Scherezade, and knew that the simplicity of her plan was far from benign in the potential for long lasting consequences. Rising from the sofa he slowly walked to the glass windows to watch the evening sky, his back to the guests, as he contemplated the best way to navigate through the turmoils of the approaching scenarios.

Watching the slow approach of a storm upon the winds of Kaer he also studied the women in the reflection of the glass. DeWinter spoke as a fanatic, not in tone or thought but, in the very words she offered. She spoke of victory and nothing of failure. She heralded success as though a harbinger of triumph, notwithstanding the ripple effect that would sweep across this sector of space from the gargantuan Confederate forces. She lauded assistance from the Agents of Chaos, offered freely, and then the withdrawal of their military might. A battle in the Siskeen system would only ignite a war that would sweep through their space leaving nothing and no one untouched.

Annasari lent her words in support to DeWinter, the naivety of youth and innocence of righteous justification. He wasn't sure he ever experienced such levity of heart and purely driven purpose free of repercussions. It was a nice illusion, but one he never possessed the opportunity to see. Instead he was faced with the aftereffects of such a momentous act that a battle with the Confederacy would offer. Consequences that would reverberate far into the future of his people. Another sigh escaped as he drained the remaining ale and turned to face the women, all hints of thought and emotion smoothed from his face.

"Do or do not, there is no try. A worthy adage to live by. However, after the battle for Siskeen you and yours get to return home to whatever planet you harken from and leave the consequences to unfold here, in my space. And yes, I've heard of your contributions in Kuat and Alderaan. I've read the action reports. Collateral damage and acceptable losses are not terms I accept lightly. Make no mistake I will not condone a course of action that will condemn my people to death, destruction, and a loss of freedom that they currently have."

He turned his eyes upon Annasari.

"Throwing lives upon the altar of War is not an option I will make lightly. We may win victorious in the battle against the Confederacy at the first engagement yet the war could very well be lost. We are not speaking about a government that spends nearly a few systems but a war machine that encompasses a reasonably large percentage of the Galaxy. Siskeen cannot hope to prevail against such overwhelming odds. Even with the support of the Agents of Chaos."

Walking forward he wanted a have over the table and a map of Confederate held space leapt to existence in hologram form.

"We cannot hope to prevail in the face of such a presence, Empire or not. If it comes down to a strength of arms and a conviction of purpose, we will lose the war. That is a certainty. Consider the Eternal Empire who chose to uproot from their planet and find sanctuary, home, and space controlled not by the Confederacy, a place untouched by the cloud of influence the Confederacy wields. If Wolfe and his militarily oriented people chose to leave rather then face certain destruction and annihilation at the hands of the CIS, this too must be considered. Because what comes after the battle of Siskeen would be war, so my people would have no choice for what happened next."

He set the empty flute glass on the table and used his hands to zoom in on the system of Siskeen as well as its neighbors. His hands slipped behind his back once more as he looked at the borders of Siskeen and Ryloth which lay against a neighboring system, Geonosis … the homeworld of geonosians and capital of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

"We cannot win a war against the Confederacy through strength of arms. A victorious battle, perhaps, but a lengthy war of attrition and assets will doom my people. I cannot and will not give my blessing for this invasion which will lead, unerringly, to battle and destine my people for eradication through war."

He allowed a slight quirk of his lips to reveal an amused line of thought.

"No, a test of arms to win complete freedom will fail, either immediately or in a prolonged war. But a battle of ideals, in the public eye, reinforced by the conviction to follow suit with arms, if necessary … now that could potentially be possible."

"The collateral damage on Kuat and Alderaan was not our doing, for a change," Scherezade grinned.

But she could understand her point. Her personal stand on letting lives end on the battlefield was a very loose one, and collateral damage rarely concerned her. But… But she believed she understood what Derek wanted. He cared for his people. He wanted them safe. There were a lot of things that happened when you started a war, and not even victory meant all the consequences would be desirable.

There were only a few places for which Scherezade would hold the same concerns.

"It is not an option to take lightly at all," she agreed with him. "The Confederacy will not take the mere assault lightly. Win or lose, we will both come out of this with their ire earned, until either they or us cease to exist. There is no point to be naive about this; there is a probability that what they have done in their part that brought the collapse of the Mandalorian Empire would seem like child's play compared to what they will try to do to us."

Putting her glass down, the Sithling rose from her seat, taking a step towards Derek - not with the intent of intimidation.

"And numbers will never win against them either," she continued, "I have fought so many of their battles and wars that I know very well. But we don't need numbers to win - we just need to strike where it hurts. And while I have a few ideas… I believe you have some as well.

And it is as you say, a battle of ideals… The view of the galaxy has already shifted, and the dear Confederacy isn't in as good of a standing as it once was. Intrigue, games of words, passionate speeches! These, would serve further. But we can't ignore the possibility that violence is very likely to occur."

Scherezade paused. Unless the Confederacy would yield, which she sincerely doubted they would, violence on Siskeen would be almost impossible to avoid. Even if they'd win, Derek's people would most likely die in the process, at least in part of the population. A dead Siskeener was just as dead as a Siskeener whether he died by a Confederate torpedo or an Agent of Chaos one.

"If you would be willing to open your borders to us," Scherezade said after a pause, "We could take your people to safety in advance of the possible fight. We have a large space station built for refugees. Your people will be more than welcome there, and inside of the Scintilla, until the battles here are concluded and they are safe. And it's all brand new, no slum-like stuff unless that's what they're into. You might have heard of it maybe; we call it HOPE."

She let her arms drop to the sides of her body. An open motion, an inviting one, for the cause.

"If you do this," she added, "more will follow. You are not the only Viceroy we have had communications with. But if you take the first step, there will be more that will no longer fear having their preference to go truly independent revealed."

Mmm. Maybe she wasn't that bad at talking?

Annasari's gaze remained locked on the man before her. The silence before he spoke seemed to stretch on endlessly. She couldn't help but feel the polar opposite pull; where Derek Dib Derek Dib seemed to be thoughtful and logical, Annasari was impulsive and passionate. It was something she had yet to get a handle on, despite dealing with it her whole life. However, speaking zealously did not seem to be enough to get through to him. When he replied, a slight frown crept onto Annasari's face. She herself knew if they wanted to bring about the end of an empire, destruction and loss of life was unavoidable. But the Viceroy seemed to love his people, and she thought maybe she was approaching the situation all wrong. Perhaps she had judged the man unfairly- anytime anyone was involved in politics, she just assumed their gain would come before all else. That did not seem to be the case here.

When he mentioned a war of ideals, the cogs in Annasari's head began turning. Recent events had been cause for shock and fear all over the galaxy, even far from Confederacy space. She knew many leaders had responded with aid to those who needed it. The frown on her face deepened as she continued thinking. The love for Agents of Chaos was scarce, and if they came out openly against the Confederacy without the intention of going to battle, she couldn't see it ending well for them. But if it was dealt with in the shadows, a single leader at a time like they were doing right now.. perhaps they'd stand a chance.

When Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter spoke, her expression transformed into one of delight. Perhaps the offer to help his people avoid the atrocities of war would soften the man a little.

She rose and joined them in crowding around the map, studying it carefully. She certainly wasn't a soldier by any means, but a tactic was beginning to form in her mind. Her hand went up, finger following the outline of the confederacy border, before pausing on Siskeen. Her eyebrows furrowed slightly, causing the wrinkle in the middle of her forehead to show, a common thing that happened when she was fretting over something.

"A full-scale evacuation would be a hard thing to manage..." She began cautiously. "But, if the Confederacy were distracted, perhaps we could carry it out. I may just have a plan. If we can gather support from a few others, we should stand a chance on the battlefield. There is no lack of animosity towards the Confederacy, and I have heard rumors of some who may also be open to taking meetings with us. If we can get an in with them and they agree to support our endeavors, then we move to phase two. It would consist of launching two small fleets. One of which would move to Ryloth, taking the planet, causing a ruckus. While that's going on, the second fleet would move in, headed to Siskeen from the back, and evacuate the citizens. Reinforcements should join after that is done to help hold Siskeen."

She paused for a moment, thinking about her words carefully, before continuing.

"It's a bold move, and would have to be timed perfectly, but I think we could do it. On the off chance we lose, your people may be exiled, but at least they will be alive. If-- no, when, we win, your people shall be free. We may need to come back and help hold off the Confederacy from retaking the planet, as a proposal this audacious will put a target on your backs. If that is the case, we will not turn on you; we will be there again, with ongoing support. I don't see a way to resolve this without violence, due to the fact if we speak out openly, the Confederacy will come for us. But if we get ahead of it and strike first, on the battlefield of our choice, we have the upper hand."

Annasari took a step back from the map and returned her eyes to those who accompanied her, awaiting a reaction. The words she spoke had sort of shocked herself, having been she had no experience with this kind of thing. The plan was a daring one, perhaps possibly even reckless. She just stood there, hoping it was at least a solid start for what they would do come the time of the battle.

A soft smile creased his lips at the offers. It was perfectly reasonable, and likely, that the common individual or family would leap at the opportunity to escape the path of a juggernaut. Yet siskeeni were neither common nor given to flights of fancy. Even before the Confederacy took the system into the umbrella of influence, years earlier, the siskeeni were proud people. And since the edict of military power that invoked every adult age individual into a mandatory service in one of the branches of the military, the law inspired even more pride and sense of unity to the cause of the United Siskeen Coalition. The majority of his people would not run, would not retreat, would not be cowed by the advance of a greater power. No, they would stand shoulder to shoulder against the encroaching force. Human, togorian, cathar, and balinka were united by the righteousness of their cause. Freedom.

“Those plans, Annasari and Scherezade, are not necessary. Though appreciated. Almost all of my people would refuse to take the offer because it would offend them, strike at their core beliefs and pride. Though there could well be several thousand who would take such an offer. It would be easy enough to take a quiet census and get the scant thousands out through normal channels aboard U.S.C. vessels. As we are a system on the border of the confederacy we are one of the systems who are responsible for enforcing the border patrols. Give us either the coordinates or a destination to meet one of your numbers to guide us there through slaved hyperdrive and it will circumvent the need for elaborate schemes.”

The smile eased away into a grim line as he took a step closer to the others, both literally and figuratively, as he gestured to the map of the Siskeen System and its border of free, unclaimed space.

“On one side of us is the freedom of open space and the other the Confederate territory. If a mass exodus becomes absolutely necessary it cannot be stopped. But one thing, I'm sure you know from your experience Scherezade, is that the greatest and most tenacious soldiers are those who fight for their homes. Every adult in my system is a veteran, and every adult will fight to the last breath for what they believe in. Almost nothing is stronger than the primal urge to protect what is yours.”

Sighing Derek turned away, contemplating deeply to what was the correct course of action. His decisions and choices in that very moment weighed heavily on his mind. The intel that he received about an approaching contest of will and force on Ryloth led to this meeting, and now the results of the meeting began to swirl about offering many different outcomes. On one hand he could turn on the Confederacy, a government he aligned with and fought for since its infancy. And while he rarely agreed with the laws, bylaws, and other propositions from his fellow viceroyalty and almost never with the Vicelord, he never betrayed them in deed, though oft enough in thought.

On the other side of the spectrum was the Agents of Chaos. Help and assistance was offered almost freely. He was not a member of their growing force nor was he particularly fond of how they acted. Yet they did get results. And it was results that he would need in order for his people to survive. They fought with erratic and manic energy and conviction, finding justification in the ends to legitimize their actions. The idea seemed somewhat similar to some Confederate actions in the path. But he did not owe allegiance to the Agents of Chaos and they did not hold sway over his system, his planets, or his people.

Siskeen was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The reality began to dawn on him. He knew what his legacy would be. He would be the one who navigated his people and system to freedom, and yet he would be remembered as a traitor, as a deceiver, as a Judas. He would be viewed as untrustworthy. He would be a scion. Smirking he nodded almost imperceptibly. He could live with that, as long as it meant his people were truly free.

“The Confederacy claims all its citizens are free, and this is true. As free as an adult still living under his father’s roof. We are free. We could have monetary assistance, new constructions offered by the CIS, schools and hospitals built, opened, and staffed by confederates. But there is always an underlying price. Nothing is free in this galaxy. But look around the worlds of the galaxy and you will see the cloud of the confederacy offers freedom unparalleled by the standards of others. But I want more for my people. You offer help freely, yet your words betray the true purpose within. You want to, ‘break the organization, step by step’, I believe your words were. Truly this does not affect me or mine.”

His eyelids drooped half closed, his next words audible yet clearly a form of self inflection.

“The Confederacy is seeking for pure saabac and the Agents also look for saabac. I have three cards in my hands. The first is a value of three, representing the vicelord and two exarchs, and the second is the queen of air and darkness, Scherezade. The third card is me, and it is shifting with random fluctuations. I can’t win unless I pull the Idiot. Moment of truth … Do I fold? Do I lose and cut my losses? Or do I go all in and bluff that I am the Idiot in hopes that time will fluctuate the situation into reality?”

His eyes closed as he warred internally for the best course of action. It was a short battle, for he already decided his fate years earlier when he fought on Siskeen to free the system from the tyrannical government that controlled the system with an iron fist that frequently hammered the people into submission. And just as then, he would always side in the best interest of his people. In the course of his leadership he made decisions that played out in the shadows of alleys that removed obstacles when necessity required devious machinations. This was just another moment of shadow play oft required of politicians and diplomats. The ambiguity of morally compromised situations thrust upon those in power. Derek would not break before what was required, though he may bend. But he would not break.

His eyes opened with clarity and determination.

“Let us discuss the details of the venture.”

The thin, silky garments wafted across his flesh as a gentle breeze caressed him. Wind was the same throughout time, carefree and indiscriminate. Through a series of strange and foreign events, he had crossed the River of Stars to come to unknown lands and learn more of this Galaxy that was nothing like the Homeworld he knew.

The King appraised in silence as he approached from the designated landing area. He could smell the ocean not far away, and the crispness of the air that was born of it. This was a world not as young, and in spite of that, still retained a semblance of cleanliness. His experiences in the Outer Rim were not all thus.

His fingers traced the metal of the doorframe as he stepped through, eyes fixated on the craftsmanship, in muted awe of how subtle some of the metalworking appeared. It was so smooth, so angular, so... devoid of imperfection.

Craftsmen had truly progressed to new heights in some twenty thousand years.

He followed the directions they had given and ascended to the clandestine chambers, where awaited the party from Siskeen. This was the man Enlil wished to meet with. He had... questions.

When he arrived, he did so at the tail end of a conversation. The man was the current speaker, and this was not the King's own world. He was a guest. He waited his turn.

"The Confederacy claims all its citizens are free, and this is true. As free as an adult still living under his father’s roof. We are free. We could have monetary assistance, new constructions offered by the CIS, schools and hospitals built, opened, and staffed by confederates. But there is always an underlying price. Nothing is free in this galaxy. But look around the worlds of the galaxy and you will see the cloud of the confederacy offers freedom unparalleled by the standards of others. But I want more for my people. You offer help freely, yet your words betray the true purpose within. You want to, ‘break the organization, step by step’, I believe your words were. Truly this does not affect me or mine.”

The nature of the Galaxy was Chaos. In time immemorial, all things existed erratic, disorganized, and without life. Chaos created new life from the lack of it, and swiftly the scales balanced. Order came into being to maintain that which chaos wrought.

At times, chaos again became necessary to wipe clean the slate. Chaos, as a tool of order, to restore it. He was beginning to understand the conversation he sought to enter.

The Viceroy led the world of Siskeen. To these people, he was as a King- and yet, he was subjugated by a higher power. This Confederacy of Independent Systems, this interstellar superpower took together hundreds, perhaps thousands of star systems and forced them to collectively exist beneath the rule of a single entity.

Impossible. Impractical. Frivolous.

He had the insight he needed to speak, and once the Viceroy finished, Enlil spoke up. "A good ruler understands that he cannot always meet the needs of his people; and so, a good ruler understands that the scope of his rule is finite."

He remained standing, not so far now from the trio. "I am called Enlil," he greeted, "and I came in attempt to understand the conflict you are facing. Forgive me, I have some knowledge of leadership and what it means to rule by right. I do not presume to understand all of your circumstances, but I do understand what is just."

His Ruby gaze trailed to Scherezade, the woman who spoke on 'breaking the organization.' He was immediately wary, however, there was a greater enemy in the aforementioned Confederacy. They believed themselves paragons of freedom, while espousing rule of law. They did so flagrantly and without fear of reproach.

This could not be allowed to stand.

"Freedom and the Law are mutually exclusive. To have freedom, you must be unrestricted. By nature, the Law binds Chaos. To say you are a system of governance that promotes freedom..."

He looked now back to the Viceroy of Siskeen. "The ruler of such a government is either a tyrant, or he is lying. Justice requires honesty: and so, any man who lies to his people is unfit to rule over others.

I may be only one man, but Viceroy, if you seek to protect the interests of your people, and to remove from them the fear of this False King, I would gladly offer you and your people my aid."

Derek Dib Derek Dib / Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter / Annasari Annasari

A new individual entered the arena of political intrigue and discussion for potential plans. As he was unaware of the new arrival, Derek glanced sideways to Scherezade and Annasari assuming that Enlil was connected either to one of the ladies or the Agents of Chaos at large. Considering the fact the man was allowed to reach the suite, the Siskeeni viceroy speculated that the man calling himself Enlil didn't offer an immediate threat. Of course Derek well knew what a single person was capable of. The weight of his own weapons and abilities were a small comfort.

Listening as Enlil spoke he married his eyes to the insight offered. When the man finished he nodded slightly.

"A government that promotes freedom offers an enslavement, this is true. But then every single government offers manacles to their citizens, mine included. Laws are forms of restrictions. And I am a tyrant. I use my position and authority to move my own nation to a purpose that must be achieved. And, as we have already covered, interpretation is always open. I do not lie to my people, but often enough, I do not tell everything. Omissions are sometimes worse than lies."

He allowed a playful smile to creep upon his face.

"Though I believe I know what you meant. Now just how would you propose removing the fear of the 'False King'? And what talents do you wish to be utilized in the endeavor?"

Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter I Annasari Annasari I Enlil Enlil

Scherezade looked to Annasari as the younger (younger? Maybe? Only technically? Long story.) spoke. She didn't want to say out loud that this very event would be the one to decree whether or not they would get the support they sometimes needed. If their stand against the Confederacy, either by simply having Derek's back or by winning a battle, was a successful one, things were going to change very rapidly. People were already whispering, rumors and coded messages moving down the grape vines. She was no longer a bird in the Ministry of Secrets, but a lot of information still made its way to her, even without any sort of official leadership title.

"We will not leave Siskeen open to the Confederacy's ability to reclaim it," she nodded to Annasari's words, and then looked to Derek again. "There are... many ways to ensure the Confederacy stays away, if they leave in the first place, whether by words or by violence. But that… That, I believe, will be easier. Much easier, than the beginning."

Looking to Annasari again, she paused first. "There are ways to handle Siskeen without violence," she smiled softly, "What does the Confederacy value above almost anything else? Their pride. Put them in front of the cameras, show the galaxy what they're made of… Even if war breaks out loose here, they will have to pull from the edges to strengthen what will very likely be a domino effect. But this will work only if we work very carefully. Probably a long game of Churi or something like that."

Plans for transfering civilians out were best not used then, based on everything Derek said. "Maybe just the children?" she dropped the last offer. If not the adults, then at least save some of the kids a lifetime of PTSD. You could always develop that at a later age if you set your mind to it. Quickly though, she quietened herself, letting Derek have his words.

Yes, she had the experience with the Confederacy. She was pretty certain her record in successful mission rates and numbers had yet to be broken by other people serving it. She had a pretty good idea of what they would utilize, what they would do, and how they would try to play it. Honestly though, looking at all the wars she had been at the front of while wielding the Confederate banner, it wasn't hard to figure out. And big, gargantuan empires, did not so easily change their ways.

Nothing is free in this galaxy.

No. Nothing ever was.

"Three exarchs, last I heard," she pointed out, "The nepotism is strong with that one," referring to... Well. Everyone knew, there was hardly any need to waste more words on it.

But I'm neither queen, nor belong to the air or to the darkness, she wanted to add, but let those words float around her mind for a moment. If Derek wanted to use that imaginary to describe her… She really wasn't going to resist though.

And for a moment there, Scherezade shivered. It was a small thing, a blink and you'd have missed it, but it happened nonetheless. And that was because Derek had all the reasons to say no. Agents of Chaos, were a huge gamble. It was true, they had won the battle for Kuat and Alderaan, but it had thus been the only battle of note that they had won. Their other victories were spread among the Unknown Regions, with kingdoms and planets that would never interest anyone slightly closer to the core. But Zonju? People knew of their loss there. Kesh? People knew of that as well. Atrisia? Never even attempted to make it a secret. They had failed more than once in the galaxy proper.

And part of her, a very loud part of her, wanted to scream that it didn't matter, that every time they lost, they bounced back stronger and harder. That for every planet aided, regardless of a win or a loss, ten more rose and asked for help or wished to mimic their results. The Age of Empires was coming to an end, and the Agents of Chaos would be there to revel in it.

Krak. When had she become such a believer in the cause? These past few months, she'd mostly been happy to be given blades and pointed which direction to stab them.

And yet, those heart beats, those few, precious, heart beats, had been a lifetime to her.

Looking to Enlil Enlil , who had already entered by then, she said nothing just yet either, not even when that ruby gaze focused on her. She followed his own monologue doing her best to understand truly if he had come for the same cause as her, or would now venture to change his mind and alignment. But, despite her fears, he… Was still in. Totally in! Okay. That was good. That was great.

And then Derek said, “Let us discuss the details of the venture.”

Scherezade smiled, and sat back down, motioning for Annasari to do the same.

"I believe, other than those already mentioned, there are more avenues we can explore," and with a smile on her lips, she flickered a holo of the galaxy into the suite, zooming in on the Siskeen System, as well as Ryloth.

After all, there was no need to pretend about anything at this point.

"It is not the duty of one burdened with leadership to be loved, but to serve those he leads." A lifetime of rule played out behind his stern gaze as Enlil spoke, though his expression softened. He did love his people, for the time that he was their King. How could he not?

But to be King was an unrequited love. And now, those who he loved were gone long ahead of him. He considered Derek Dib quietly as the man spoke. "It is my intention to make certain no harm comes to those people who you serve. Oft times when those in power wage war, it is the common man who's back breaks in their pursuits.

War does not profit a nation. War returns order to chaos, and fractures the balance. War brings only death. In the past, I failed to stand between my people and an enemy that sought to subvert my rule, enslave them, and slaughter them in droves. I will not idly stand by and watch it happen a second time."

Enlil folded his arms and closed his eyes as Scherezade spoke with the Viceroy. He drew a breath, then exhaled slowly. "I do not have armies or weapons to offer you, but if you would accept the aid of but a single man, I will stand in opposition to illegitimate rule and debased leadership."

He looked now to Scherezade, who though he did not know, made it possible for him to be in this place, at this time. "I am learning more of this Galaxy, and you have made that possible. For that, I am grateful- but I will see Justice served, and Order restored. I will aid you in liberation of this world from its jailers, but I will not abide the subversion of Natural Law, which transcends borders and banners. You must swear that the people will not suffer, and only those who have done wrong will pay."

Derek Dib Derek Dib / Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter / Annasari Annasari

Tags: Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter | Derek Dib Derek Dib | Enlil Enlil

As Scherezade looked to her and spoke, Annasari considered her words carefully. She thought perhaps she herself was too quick to jump on the idea of violence, fueled by her rashness and drive to make everything right within the galaxy. She took a deep breath in, attempting to calm and center herself. The other woman was right- it was time to play the long game.

When Derek refused the offer of an evacuation, a slight grimace washed over Annasari's face, but she nodded, understanding. She herself was a fighter, and she acknowledged the need to defend their home, even slightly admired it. Maybe it's for the best, she thought. Should Siskeen end up falling to violence, they'd probably need body they could get to hold off the Confederacy. The Viceroy probably wouldn't take kindly to that musing though, so she chose to retain her silence.

When the new gentleman entered, Annasari's eyes locked on him. She did not recognize the man, but judging by the fact that the other two did not jump to violence, he probably meant no harm. As the men tangoed back and forth, Annasari's face remained locked in a cold and callous expression that was unusual for her. When the other woman took a seat, she joined her on the couch, leaning forward slightly as if she was intrigued by something. In her head, she was making note of every word the men spoke, taking lessons for the next time she embarked on a political venture.

When Enlil finished, her face softened a bit, her expression growing a little more inviting. It seemed the young man's own goals fell in line with her own. When Annasari had joined the agents of chaos, she wasn't a fan of their view on civilian lives, but it seemed to be something she'd have to learn to live with, in order to obtain allies. It had never sat well with her though, that the people she was trying to help may lose their lives in the endeavor. Though the man was speaking to Scherezade, Annasari cut in.

"I find myself agreeing with you. We must protect the people while finding a way to bring the tyrants down. After all, the cause of liberation pales in comparison to leaving a world ravaged by war and death. Surely though, there is a solution that would satisfy us all."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom