Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Day Late And A Credit Short

There were few things Amani enjoyed less than the prospect of discussing the audibility of her sex life with a former student. Thankfully, Kai was just as eager to leave it exactly where it was and never speak of the topic again. They moved on quick, with Kai offering her the littlest of the pups for study, "Aww, hello~" She cooed, taking the runt in hand.

Kai's training was more niche than she had expected. But definitely effective. The idea of being cut off from the Force was something Amani had experienced firsthand, "Took me quite a while to get used to not having the Force when my connection was severed. Definitely a useful way to disorient a sensitive opponent." Being used to it had unexpectedly helped Amani during her encounters with Alina, who could effectively switch off her connection on a whim.

After a bit more study, Amani laid the runt back down with the others, "Looks to be doing alright, other than his size, obviously. Just make sure he's staying warm and getting fed enough. If he isn't, make sure to bottle feed him instead."

The runt whined pitifully, though he settled down after he was returned to the warmth of his mother's side. Kai nodded in acknowledgment of Amani's instructions, pushing a few locks of white hair out of his eyes. He seemed preoccupied with his thoughts.

"Sister Persis thinks I'm tied to a prophecy," he said suddenly, a thin smirk curling his mouth. "She wouldn't be teaching me otherwise." He glanced up, meeting Amani's gaze. "Why did you want me to be your apprentice?"

He didn't ask because he wanted to be her apprentice still - he knew that path was closed off to him now. It was simple curiosity. She had told him in prison that she had considered taking him on, but she never said why.

Amani raised an eyebrow, suddenly suspicious of the circumstances behind this woman's arrival, "A… prophecy?" She had little opportunity to dwell on it though, as Kai soon turned his thoughts to her, and something she had admitted to him when he first arrived in prison.

"I…" Amani blinked, and let out a low sigh, "Cause I just wanted to help. I know you struggled with some of your peers, but I thought maybe if I could be a guiding hand…" She shrugged, "I dunno. We had worked together in the past. It just made sense in my eyes."

"...Why?"

"Some hokey ancient prophecy," he muttered. "Probably just a bunch of boosh."

Though he seemed dismissive of the idea, something about him seemed tense. Perhaps deep down he really did believe in the prophecy, or at least was willing to accept the possibility that it was about him—and was uncomfortable with the implications. In addition to the parts which Persis claimed were related to Kai, the ancient vision foretold things that had yet to pass. Things which, if they were part of his destiny, gave him a great deal of anxiety about his future.

Kai fell quiet as she answered his question, letting one of the pups lick and nibble at his fingers. “I used to think that if I had a master, any master, all of my problems would disappear. I wouldn’t have been so jealous of everybody, at least,” he said. “But jealousy isn’t what wound up sending me to Azrael.

He handed her the last pup, glancing over the rest with a grim smirk. “Who am I kidding—I hated the system. All those kids who were plucked from their homes and trained their whole lives to become Jedi, only for the Masters to come and take their pick of the litter while the rest got shuffled off to the AgriCorps or whatever. Then when some of those rejects inevitably fall to the Dark Side because they want more than what the ‘Will of the Force’ has for them, they either wind up dead or as madmen clawing at the walls of the Asylum.

But he was just complaining. Life wasn’t fair. Why should the Jedi Knights, the heroes he had looked up to and idealized, be any different?

I want all these puppies accounted for,” he said, his tone softening. “Make sure they find good masters.

Amani sensed Kai's apprehension, and had a similar feeling herself. Fate was a curious aspect of the Force. Even when things did come true, they didn't always do so in the expected manner. She said nothing else about it for now, as the topic shifted.

"It's not always that simple, Kai," Amani sighed. For the NJO in particular, for a long time there was simply a trouble with number disparities between masters and padawans. Add in all the other factors that come with finding a compatible apprenticeship, and there was bound to be a bit of a mess. Not that she could blame him for being upset. Their numbers had since risen, but there were still going to be students without teachers, and teachers without students. What he said wasn't entirely without truth.

And he was also right that, despite it all, he wasn't expelled by the Order because of a bout of jealousy. There was merit in him recognizing that, "I'll do what I can."

Another pause, before curiosity got the better of her, "…What is this prophecy she's telling you about?"

Sometimes it is that simple,” he replied.

With the puppies all checked out, Kai gave Sophie a final reassuring stroke on the head before rising to his feet. “Thanks. I appreciate it.

He had thought the meeting would come to a close, but then Amani asked about the prophecy again. Kai hesitated. “You know, I don’t normally talk this much out loud,” he said. It wasn't only a lie to delay the inevitable—he was genuinely tired of talking. He'd gotten into the habit of speaking out loud in Azrael, where he was cut off from the Force and couldn't use telepathy. Singing in the band had similarly helped to quell his fears of sound waves. But he would always prefer mind-to-mind communication, even if others loathed him for invading the sanctity of their minds.

Amani had historically not been so concerned about telepathy. Perhaps knowing what he had done to Iris had changed her mind since, but he was willing to take that chance.

He gestured for her to follow him as he turned and walked into the bedroom. While the rest of the apartment was plain and modern, Kai’s room was more rustic. Most of the furnishings were made from natural materials. It smelled of wood and leather.

Kai stooped to pull something out from underneath the bed. The object was long and covered in a fine black cloth. He carefully unwrapped it to reveal a beautiful greatsword.

<Touch it,> Kai said, switching to telepathy. <And you’ll see what the prophecy is about.>

Last edited:
Amani blinked confusedly at first. It barely even registered to her that Kai was speaking aloud, rather than telepathically, until he brought it up. She was, however, able to register the weariness in his tone, and responded softly, “Well, you don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

There was indeed a part of her that was instinctively hesitant to extend the offer, after what had happened. But she pushed such thoughts aside. After all, Amani genuinely believed he was turning over a new leaf. She had no reason to suspect he would abuse the ability now.

Amani followed Kai to his room, glancing curiously over his shoulder as he revealed a large, exquisite sword. Though not exactly an expert in weapon crafting, she immediately recognized the blade as songsteel: The same material in the haft of her saber pike. Amani looked back and forth between Kai and the sword, before slowly reaching down to seize the handle.

Kai dipped his head in appreciation before leading her into his room and presenting her with the sword.

The metal seemed unusually warm to the touch, the dragonskin leather binding the hilt radiating heat like fire in a dragon’s belly. It had a strange aura in the Force.

Carefully, Kai reached out to Amani’s mind, giving her a glimpse of a memory…

He was standing in a garden on Chaldea, fresh out of the asylum. Birds chirped and a stream bubbled nearby. The air was heady with the scent of flowers.

Kneeling on the ground in front of him was Persis Solusar, garbed from head to toe in blue robes. In her hands was the sword, a cloth serving as a barrier between her and the sacred relic. “This is the sword of Tania Bayern, the founder of our Order,” she said.

Kai stared at the blade with wide eyes. <It was broken,> was all he could think to say.

“Yes. But I had it reforged.” She held it out to him. “I want you to have it.”

<Why?>

“Because it is destined to fall to you.” Persis glanced around to make sure no one else was listening, then lowered her voice. “‘A ‘sibling-soul’ of Tania will take up her sword to defeat the forces of darkness in a holy war.’ That is what the prophets before me said.”

Kai went very still. He had called Gerda, the only other Bamarri he had ever encountered, his “sister-soul”. But that was just a way of explaining a relationship that didn’t fit any Basic terminology. They were not siblings the way humans understood it, but they were of the same kind.

“Do you understand what this means?” Persis’ whisper was insistent. “Tania Bayern was a Bamarri! We always suspected it—she never seemed to age, you see, and those who witnessed her death claimed they saw a strange light leave her body. Not to mention ‘Bayern’ is what the people of the Yellow Plains used to call Bamarre in their own language…”

<All that means is that the prophecy is about a Bamarri,> Kai interrupted. <Any Bamarri. It doesn’t have to be me.>

“‘Three times they will die, and three times will they be reborn; their flesh will change, but their soul will not.’” She recited the account of the ancient vision as if it were staccato poetry. “‘They will wear many faces, and parts of all; crowned with stars, wielder of light, dark of heart.’”

<’Dark of heart’? Is that what you think of me?> He tried to joke, but it ultimately fell flat. His shoulders sagged, suddenly weary. <I have died and been reborn three times. Twice in different bodies, then… back to this one.>

“And you are a changeling, wielding a lightsaber, walking in the Light despite the taint of the Dark in you,” she added. “Take the sword, Kai.”

<Not so fast. What does it mean by ‘crowned with stars’? I’m not royalty.>

She gave him a faint, ghastly smile. “It could be the color of your hair. It’s white, like starlight. Or it could be a reference to the Alliance insignia, the Starbird. Or it could be something completely different that we haven’t considered. Either way, I am giving you this sword, because I believe you are the one meant to have it. If I’m wrong, you can return it.”

Still hesitant, Kai reached out. The moment his fingers closed around the hilt, Persis let go, forcing him to hold it up on his own. It was lighter than he expected. The songsteel blade gleamed like silver water in the sunlight.

<What else does the prophecy say?> he asked. Persis’ face grew drawn…

Kai cut the connection between him and Amani, ending the memory there. He watched her face, trying to read her reaction.

Amani silently lowered the sword as the memory faded. Her expression remained fixed on it for a few long moments, betraying only solemn thought, "…That's it?" She finally asked, looking back at Kai. She was unconvinced, given what she saw.

"What does it actually mean? For you?"
There had to be some deeper purpose behind his taking the sword. Some reason it was all relevant. They didn't make prophecies about passing down collector's items just for the sake of it.

Kai curled one corner of his mouth up, rewrapping the sword first rather than answering her immediately. <That’s it,> he said, kneeling to hide the ancient weapon under his bed again.

He didn’t care whether she believed it or not. In truth, her incredulity was comforting. Made him feel like he wasn’t so crazy after all for not wanting to be the chosen one of some prophecy foretold long before his birth.

"What does it actually mean? For you?"

<If it’s really about me, then I’m going to wind up serving a fallen master.> It sounded so like Kai. Putting all his love and devotion into a single person, only for them to fail him. Except this time, he would fall from grace along with them. Becoming a servant of evil.

Why had he not wanted to tell her this? Apart from the fact that it might motivate her do something foolish to try and stop the inevitable, he was terrified that the fallen master of the vision might be none other than Alicio Organa Alicio Organa . But he doubted she would accept that possibility. She was too much in love with him. Alicio was safe... but Kai might not be, if she decided he was a threat or a liability. He wouldn't blame her if she tried to have him fired.

His expression faded into something more melancholic. <I've been in this body for long enough to know it isn't just the Dark Side that makes people do bad things. I don't think I'll be in service to a Dark Lord anytime soon.>

Amani seemed to peer at Kai more intently, "That so…?" Prophecies were tricky. Some came true, others didn't. More often than not, trying to stop one only made it self-fulfilling, and vague wording left too much uncertain. The Jedi of old probably didn't expect for their Chosen One to murder them all and turn Sith for a few decades before bringing 'balance to the Force'.

Still, sitting around and doing nothing about it didn't seem like a good course of action, either. Tentatively, Amani placed a hand on his shoulder, "Well, you're with us, now. So no, I don't think you will either," She tried to offer a reassuring smile. Looking down at him, she still saw that same padawan he used to be.

"…Just who is this Sister Persis, exactly?"
Amani asked suspiciously. Not of Kai, but of the woman. If this prophecy risked bringing about darkness, why would she be so eager to instigate it?

Sure enough, she glossed over it entirely. Not even a hint of anger. Instead, she seemed to reserve her suspicion for Persis. Kai tried not to show his feelings, nodding his head meekly as she patted him on the shoulder. Part of him had been hoping she would be mad enough to demand he be sacked. At least then it would ensure Alicio wasn't the one.

He couldn't bring himself to just leave. He had nowhere else to go. And he was afraid.

She is Sister Persis. The Head Mystic.” He looked down at her with guileless blue eyes. No doubt she wanted to know more. “I could give you her info if you want to contact her…

"Head Mystic of what, exactly?" Amani inquired further, her skepticism obvious, "Maybe…" She paced a few steps away in thought, then spun back around to face Kai, "…Do you trust her?" That would be one of the most key factors. Did he actually believe her to be well-meaning, or was he following because she was the only teacher giving him the time of day?

<The Head Mystic of the Order of Mystics,> Kai replied. <I doubt she cares about the struggle between Light and Dark. Jedi and Sith are all the same to her—they’re just people with too much power.>

"…Do you trust her?"

<No,> Kai answered bluntly, crossing his arms over his chest. <I think she’s only interested in keeping her planet and its people safe, and furthering the interests of her religion.> He smiled thinly. <Pretty par for the course. If she wants to believe I’m a celestial being destined to save her world, okay good, okay fine. Oh, I forgot to mention that part, didn’t I? Yeah, I’m supposed to save Chaldea at some point between serving a fallen master and dying an early death. At least I’m still getting training out of it whether the prophecy is true or not.>

<The Head Mystic of the Order of Mystics,>

"Kai-"

<I doubt she cares about the struggle between Light and Dark. Jedi and Sith are all the same to her—they're just people with too much power.>

"Doesn't care?" Amani pinched her brow. It wasn't exactly a riveting endorsement. Of course, he admitted outright immediately after that he didn't trust her. More surprising, was the part of the prophecy he decided to withhold until now, "What?" She spat, "You didn't think that was important to include sooner?!" It was the 'early death' part she was decidedly most concerned about.

<It basically means she’s their leader and primary representative. Like a Grandmaster or Knight Commander.>

Kai inclined his head, peering at Amani in silence. He had to admit, this kind of reaction from her was predictable. She was a Jedi, and so her views were shaped by their philosophy. What she was hearing was foreign and suspicious to her way of thinking, hence the negative reception.

Not as negative as her reaction to the rest of the prophecy, of course.

"What? You didn't think that was important to include sooner?!"

<I’m under no obligation to tell you any of this, Your Excellency,> he replied with more coldness than he intended. He knew she was upset because she cared about him, but he still felt a need to put his foot down. Maybe because he felt that she was still treating him like a child, some naïve little Padawan she had to shepherd. <As far as I’m concerned, it’s a personal matter. I’m talking about it because I choose to talk about it.>

Having said that, he sought to soothe her worries. <It’s only Sister Persis’ interpretation of the prophecy,> he assured her. <The vision is written in very vague language, full of symbolism and metaphors. It might not mean what she thinks it means. But if it does, well…> He spread his arms. <An early death by the standards of a Bamarri could be several centuries of life. We live to be over a thousand standard years old. You and Count Alicio and everyone else I know now will probably be long dead when it happens.>

<I’m under no obligation to tell you any of this, Your Excellency,>

Amani blinked and shrunk back, off-put by Kai's sudden harshness. Her lip curled, and she was on the verge of shooting back; Considering this young man was now responsible for her husband's safety, she felt there was more obligation to be truthful about these things than he seemed to. But Amani said nothing, uninterested in arguing with Kai over something so esoteric. It troubled him as well, she knew.

Amani crossed her arms and listened, but was not exactly assuaged by his explanation, "...And you believe that?"

Amani looked away from Kai as the buzzer went off, lost in conflicting thoughts until he spoke again.

<Count Alicio is headed to Alderaan...>

"I'm aware," She raised an eyebrow, and unfolded her arms, "Just stay safe, Kai. And keep him safe," There wasn't much else to say, not that she assumed he'd want to hear, anyway. Amani walked back towards the front door, giving Sophie a few scratches under her chin, before leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom