Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Zerek Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Intent: A much less powerful, much less volatile, entirely secret strain of Alpha Red.
Development Thread:
  • Selka hires Orcus to help her procure Alpha Red (start, finish, with delivery)
  • Orcus obtains Alpha Red (here)
  • Selka shows Carach the development of Zerek Red (here)
Manufacturer: A secret disposable unit within Silk Holdings, transitioned into a secret unit within Akure Executive Interstellar
Model: Zerek Red
Affiliation: Personal
Modularity: No
Production: Minor
Material: Bioweapon

Description: Zerek Red is a stable strain of Alpha Red. Its symptoms and communicability are comparable, but less severe, and take longer to manifest. This is for two reasons. First, a longer incubation period improves Zerek Red's ability to spread without notice. Second, the bioweapon's reduced power is the cost of increasing its stability. It is believed to be less likely than Alpha Red to mutate and attack non-Vong-derived life-forms, though Alpha Red itself was labeled similarly. In truth, Zerek Red will certainly mutate to affect other species, but only rarely and at random; Caluula-level extinction events are off the table. Zerek Red might operate with complete reliability until it suddenly spreads to peko-peko or Ghostlings or something else equally random, allowing researchers to compare similarities and close off one of Zerek Red's avenues of attack. Being a variant strain, Zerek Red is not likely to be susceptible to unlikely potential countermeasures against Alpha Red; being adaptive, immunization is very problematic, certainly requiring a different regime for each sort of biot.

In terms of symptom severity, while Zerek Red can be lethal and produce the symptoms noted with Alpha Red (yorik corak weakening, villips losing function, amphistaffs experiencing dysfunction, Yuuzhan Vong bleeding from their eyes, etc.), there is no recorded case of a Zerek Red test subject liquefying. Instead, death usually occurs through multiple organ failure within a matter of days rather than hours. Due to individual genetic quirks, natural immunities, highly variegated subject body mass, etc., individual cases can vary widely too. As bioweapons go, Zerek Red is toward the lower end of the lethality spectrum, but maintains Alpha Red's high transmission rate and multiple infection vectors. Like Alpha Red, Zerek Red is communicable by air, contact, or fluids. If crop-dusted Alpha Red can turn armies to sludge, a similar dispersal of Zerek Red can give them a collective migraine, and kill them and their dropships on their way home. Though not to the same extent as Alpha Red, Zerek Red is adaptive, and three main stable substrains have been noted and cultivated. The above changes to Alpha Red were enacted via horizontal transmission, combining Alpha Red with genetic elements of an obscure flu from a pre-technological world in the Rishi Maze. Zerek Red can be treated with massive amounts of market-grade bacta or kolto, or large amounts of better healing substances, which are prohibitively expensive. In a sense, it is an economic weapon as much as a biological one.

Primary Source: None

[member="Selka Ventus"] - I see substantial development in the preparation and obtaining of Alpha Red itself, which is excellent. But substantial modification has been done to the original virus to make it MUCH more stable and usable. That was really the only 'weakness' of Alpha Red was it's mutability and wild nature. This has the treatment via high grade medical applications, which is good for weakness.

But i'm going to request a 5-10 post dev thread, even via NPC scientists (minimum) to detail just how it was altered, and showcasing it affect a subject in one of those posts. Doesn't have to be a novel in length, but of comparable length as the previous dev threads. Feel free to involve other writers as well.

In order to be allowing for people to produce counter effects on a pathogen/immunological level, they will need to know what process it is altered by, so they can then compare and contrast your contagion against the canon Alpha Red process and make their own counters beyond just bacta and kolto. So keep that in mind. If you have any questions of the process I want detailed, feel free to contact me through any various means and I will happily make myself available to help explain things in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom