Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship YX-1224 "Bearclaw"

Status
Not open for further replies.
starship-b.jpg

Source: http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/starship-b.jpg

Intent: To create a starship that is durable, fast, and easy to make for production line purposes, and a base for Luke's ship.
Development Thread: None
Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering Corporation
Model: Freighter
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: None
Production: Mass produced
Material: Durasteel, transparisteel
Description: The Bearclaw is a fine example of the average smuggler's ship. With it's compact frame, laser cannons and missile launcher, it excels at defense and speed. It's sleek and thin design makes it difficult to detect on basic scanners, though not impossible. Packing two laser cannons, one below the cockpit and the other in the rear, the ship has protection from all sides.. Another addition is that of a single concussion missle launcher in the front. The launcher carries five missiles, which can be individually deployed, and will explode on impact. Deployable flares are another feature that aid in quick escapes, and can be used for many situations. The interior houses a general area, two bedroom suites, and a storage bay. The cockpit holds two people, however two are not required to pilot the ship.

Classification: Balanced freighter
Role: Personal ship/freighter
Height: 12.21 meters
Width: 24.5 meters
Length: 36 meters
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Quadex power core
Hyperdrive Rating: 4
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 2
Armaments:

• Two twin laser cannons
  • One concussion missile launcher
Hangar: N/A
Non-Combative Attachments:

• Communications Array
  • Escape Pods
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Standard Deflector Shield Generator
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Sensor Array
  • Standard Targeting Systems
Passenger Capacity: 4
Cargo Capacity: 40-100 metric tons
Consumables: 1.5 months
Sublight Speed: 4

@[member="Luke Beleren"]

There are a number of issues here that need addressing.

• First off, we prefer people talk to company owners before using the company to make things. This is for a number of reasons, not least among them that the company might be hostile to your faction, might not have the experience to make your product, or simply might not make your product. For example, Kuat Drive Yards focuses primarily on capital ships. The Corellian Engineering Corporation however focuses on things like freighters, which leads me to my next point.
  • This doesn't look or feel like a starfighter. Certainly not with its size. Starfighters and bombers tend to stick to the 8 - 15 meter range. This looks more like a freighter than anything, like the Millennium Falcon, in both design and dimensions.
  • Its armament is off for a vessel this size. Turbolasers are immensely powerful anti-capital ship weapons that require large reactors to power. Starfighters and freighters traditionally use laser cannons for their offensive armament.
Right now it looks like you've got a general idea but you're not sure how to go about getting it done. If you'd like to PM, I'd be happy to help you iron everything out for this. It looks like a very interesting ship.

@[member="Luke Beleren"]

Good first round of edits. There are some additional things we need to cover.

Star Wars uses the metric system for its ship dimensions and other details. You'll want to change all instances of 'feet' to 'meters'. Cargo capacity for a freighter this size would be anywhere from 40 to 100 metric tons.

Consumables represents more than just air. It represents things like drinkable water, food, medical supplies. It's basically a marker of 'If this ship were marooned out in the middle of space right now, how long could its occupants survive?'.

A good ship to look at for comparison and design ideas is the YTA-1300 Light Freighter.

@Mention me when you're ready for me to look at it again.

@[member="Luke Beleren"]

Excellent work. Just a few more details to iron out.

• Fuel cells are most often used on cheap starfighters. Freighters use dedicated power plants, like a Quadex Power Core or Ionization Reactor.
  • In your description, you changed the mines to missiles, which becomes problematic since missiles aren't just dropped and detonated. My suggestion is to make the missile launcher forward-facing and put one of the two laser cannons aft-facing to cover the rear.
  • The metric conversions are solid, but now the ship's dimensions more closely resemble a fighter. Freighters are a bit bigger, with the added benefit of the crew being able to move around and sleep comfortably. Freighter's are typically anywhere from 7 to 12 meters tall, 20 to 26 meters wide, and anywhere from 30 to 40 meters long.
Finish off those edits, and I think this will be ready for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom