Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spy

Eshan
Capital City

The offices were less than stellar by comparison to what he had on Coruscant, but he realized that the reason for this was the fact that the Echani were less focused on political endeavors. An ambassadorial office was not going to receive as much attention as a fighting arena would. This was something that was known, and something that really didn't bother Kamon all that much under the circumstances. Having lived and worked in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant for as long as he had, this was actually rather nice.

A giant stack of paperwork sat on his desk, delivered by his attache. Some of it he'd taken more interest in than others, specifically the new information regarding a growing government on the border of the Republic. He knew nothing of them despite all of his years in the Republic, serving as a Jedi. Might be it was time to look into it, and he thought he knew who to ask for help.

"Nevia, would you please send for the Whiphid named @[member="Velok"] which is living amongst us. I wish to speak with him."

"Yes, Ambassador."

It was interesting the way that the Compact work. They shunned no one, and operated under the belief that the Force was secondary to the whole, which was true. Putting aside differences to work together was the essential reason that the Echani were such master combatants. While each had their own, distinguishable personality, they were not at each others throats when it came to matters of the state.

It would be different to work WITH a Sith, rather than against. A new challenge. He liked that.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
The Whiphid shambled in, seven-foot-seven of lean old warthog in ragged robes.

"Master Vondiranach," he said with every sign of friendliness. "This meeting is long overdue. I'm told you're something of an apex predator, the number two man in the Jedi Council."

He took a seat, uninvited, and steepled his great three-clawed hands. "There was a time, not so long ago, when I would have tested myself against you as an equal. But young men rise and old men fall. I've had a portion of my strength stripped from me by the consequences of my misdeeds, and I am two hundred years old with a hole in my kidney and a bag of urine on my thigh. For now I still have my mind, and my curiosity. That curiosity burns bright today, Master Vondiranach. What Jedi madness is in the offing?"

"That's a bit more information than I needed to know..."

He shook his head at @[member="Velok"] and focused back on the task at hand. Sith or not, they were going to be working together, and even a Sith could be reasonable. That and this particular Sith seemed focused on learning to be one of them.

"What I need is information. Not from the Republic, but from an outside source. There's a new government that's making itself known on the border of Republic space that calls itself the Atrisian Empire. Considering I serve as our ambassador to the Republic, this is somewhat beyond my station, but I have concerns and when I have concerns, it means something's up.

"The reason I called you in is that you might have connections, or serve as a possible... distraction, that wouldn't be tied to us. Do you know anything about these people, or who I can contact to find out?"

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
@[member="Kamon Vondiranach"]

"Atrisia, yes...one wonders whether the ancient nastiness of Palpatine's era might still exist, somewhere within Atrisia's ranks. I find myself very, very curious. Curious enough to 'serve as a distraction,' as you put it. I know an infobroker who does business in Omega Pyre space, near Atrisia. He might have some details." The gigantic Whiphid scratched his chin. "Master Vondiranach, if Atrisia has agents anything like the ancient Inquisition or Dark Adepts or Prophets of the Dark Side, they'll react -- without question -- if I make myself known within their space. But what you and I need to know is...how will they react? I'm an old man, Master Vondiranach. I don't work alone anymore."

Steepling his fingers, Kamon frowned as he watched @[member="Velok"] and listened to what he had to say. This was some information he did not know.

"You think it's possible those old organizations have lain dormant for all this time?"

If that was the case, this was certainly disturbing news. How much was this new Empire like the old one? If they were anything like the old Galactic Empire, then that was something to be considered. And if these organizations still existed on Atrisia, that was something that Kamon needed to know and needed to make the rest of the council aware of. That's why Velok was there.

"What's the infochant's name? Or, how do I get in touch with him? As far as your role, I can't be involved in anything in Atrisian space because of my work, but it's possible we could hire someone to work with you. Someone from Omega Pyre? They hire out a lot. My fiance has a hired guard from them."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

Velok snorted. "At arm's length, then. A class-based analysis would be, at this point, most instructive."

He stood. "The information broker's name is Jorus Q. Merrill, a smuggler who works for both the Hutts and Omega Pyre. His comms number is 47377738953. He's been a source of mine for a long time. I'll be waiting for your call. I'll leave this particular bit of operational planning entirely in your hands, but Master Vondiranach, if you sell me down the river..."

He whuffled softly and made for the door.

"...or if you start thinking of me as your contractor, your inferior, your agent or anything remotely subservient to you, well, I'll leave the consequences to your capable mind."

"Don't try and scare me, @[member="Velok"]. I'm half-Corellian. I don't scare that easy."

He smirked a little bit and then nodded.

"All the same I don't plan to sell you out. You're too valuable to the Compact. As for what you are, you're a valuable liaison in determining just who, and what, this Empire is. That's all I'm focused on. Good day, though. I'll be in contact eventually."

Dipping his head towards him, he went back to his stack of paper work. There was some that he needed to get done before he put in a call to this man, Merrill. The name was no familiar to him, but he was certain that he'd know enough soon enough.

He waited for Velok to leave and then picked up an encrypted comm to make the call.

Jorus, as it happened, was onboard the Gypsymoth, so the hologram that appeared was in some state of domestic disrepair. Not to put too fine a point on it, the infobroker was wearing a muscle shirt and burping a pinkish baby.

"So you're Vondiranach. Velok said he'd put you through. I keep tabs on the Jedi Council members -- famous faces, in some circles. Anyways, I'm Merrill. What is it you need?"

Kamon's first focus was the child.

"Zeltron baby?"

He was familiar with the species, and the color of the child's skin certainly fit the bill. That wasn't why he was calling, though, and he needed to focus on the work at hand before the man got annoyed with him. Kamon might not be that politically inclined, or rather he wasn't that inclined to politics, but he wasn't dumb.

"Two things actually. I'll start with the harder one first. I need to know what information you have on the Atrisian Empire. Everything, if at all possible. They're a new player on the galactic level and my people want to be informed about them."

@[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Jorus burped the baby vigorously. "Why is everyone so focused on children? First Velok starts rambling about potential leverage on your daughter, whoever that is, and now this. Yeah, I'll sell you what I've got on Atrisia, maybe even some tidbits I shouldn't share, but it'd be a lot. A narrower focus would help. Greatly."

A snort escaped Kamon.

"Leverage on my daughter. Good luck with that. She won't break for anyone."

Save for her brother, but he was definitely not going to say that out loud. An infochant did not need to know all of the details about his children's lives and their connections to one another. Though, it was nice to know that Velok was looking into using his children against him, or just hurting them. He was going to have to keep an eye on the Sith, it seemed.

"The things we most need to know are their ambitions and military capabilities. Strictly speaking, we need to know how big of a threat they are to us, and what their purpose is. Secondly, we want to know just how much of the old Empire is present there. How much of it has survived? Lastly, we want to know if any of the old Imperial organizations, like the Inquisition, Prophets of the Dark Side, or the Dark Adepts, still exist within their culture or government. These are all potential threats that we'd like to know about."

Jorus's eyes widened slightly. "A tall order. Let me see what I've got."

He went offscreen and began sorting through records while changing the baby's diaper. His voice still carried through clearly.

"There's some mention of something along those lines, but not a lot of detail. I can find things, depending on what time frame you're talking about. Send me twenty thousand creds and I'll copy you on everything I have and everything I can find."

Kamon nodded and picked up his datapad, transferring funds from an untraceable account that wasn't tied to anyone, and bore a name that belonged to absolutely no one. Since it was never accessed in person, it would be hard to find out that he was the true owner.

"Done. While you're digging around, perhaps you could tell me the name of a good merc I can hire for a job. I'm in need of one that's trustworthy and doesn't cut corners, but knows how to be subtle."

"A mostly simple one on Atrisia itself. They'll be assisting a Whiphid in his task."

He shuffled through a couple of notes and pulled out a piece of flimsi which he studied quickly before speaking again.

"The task is simple. The merc will be visiting Atrisia, sightseeing. That's their cover. In reality, they'll be there to support the Whiphid. In the event that he draws unwanted attention, the Merc will assist in getting him free of it and leaving the world. Simple support mission. Chance of combat is minimal, but possible."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom