Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Year of the Tiger

NABOO
THEED PALACE

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The Syndicate had done business with Naboo previously, ordering millions of credits worth of advanced sensor ships and equipment from the frustratingly peerless Theed Hangar. Equipment that had served them well in their "dealings" within the Pentastar Alignment. Beyond that, Tytos Ardik had been appraised of a less publicized transaction. Syndicate Enforcers had apparently apprehended one Vrak Nashar - some Sith criminal wanted for crimes against the crown of Naboo. No small task, all things considered. This had been a Sith, after all, and apparently a rather cunning one at that.

No wonder he had escaped.

Well, it wasn't as if the Helix Syndicate could be held responsible for that part of the story. Tytos read the reports. They hadn't exactly brought Vrak to Naboo in a condition that lent itself easily to escape attempts. But that was all water under the bridge now, wasn't it? The time to move forward was now, and evidently the monarchy still had some use for the services the Syndicate could offer. A man who could tie himself to petty aristocracy himself, he wouldn't insult the Queen by sending some third-tier flunky in his stead. Tytos came himself, waiting patiently outside of the Queen's office for his summons.

The escape of the Sith was still a thorn in the young queen's side. A constant reminder that the slimy little weasel had managed to escape, nearly destroying a maximum security prison in his wake. She had vowed to recapture him, though his current whereabouts had eluded the woman. Hardly on her list of priorities, given the state of the galaxy, she turned her attention inward, toward the security of her people and her home. For better or worse, the Alliance was in a state of nonstop war, and as it seemed, the losing side.

That didn't bode well for a planet sworn to neutrality and peace.

Not. At. All.

So how does one resolve to persevere when the galaxy appears so grim? By reassuring the people, and shoring up the defensive line in the wake of newly discovered threats to the borders. For the time being, Naboo's sensor probes and relay stations were quiet. That was a blessing in and of itself, but whether the system would remain in such a way was a gamble Jamie was not willing to make. She felt eyes upon her, and damned she would be if she didn't do everything in her power to ensure the sovereignty of her home. Relay stations were built. Planetary cannons installed. A shield of magnificent proportions linked directly into the plasma refinery complex. Despite the measures in place, Naboo was still not quite in the position to withstand a siege, at least, one that was waged from the ground. This meeting aimed to shift that balance, and give the people a sense of hope, and peace of mind.

"Mr. Ardik, the queen will see you now."

A large man, clearly a seasoned veteran of the RSF stepped back, burly arm pressing against the door to the office of the queen.

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Tytos rose, smoothed his jacket, and entered the office as directed. The Naboo had some sort of obsession with electing young and relatively untested monarchs. Something he could not personally understand, seeing as how the planet had quite nearly been destroyed or starved out several times in history. Maybe that was something that could be less attributed to the monarchs themselves, and more an overarching cultural tradition of incessant clinging to peace, neutrality, and status quo.

Though judging from the recent public works projects Jamie Pyne had started and finished... She clearly had a more coherent grasp of what troubles the future would hold than her predecessors.

Always observant of the necessary decorum, Tytos stopped about halfway to her desk and bowed. Not too deep. There was only so far old joints could go before he face planted. Just enough to be polite. "Your Majesty," he said. "What can I do for you today?"

Jamie stood from behind the wide desk as Ardik approached, pausing midway to bow, to which Jamie returned in kind. The man's age was clearly more than double her own, possibly even three times that of the young queen. A tired looking man, if she had ever seen one, but one who carried the look of determination and aspiration.This was the man who headed Helix, an organization she knew scarcely little of, but one that had personally delivered one Vrak Nashar directly to her doorstep, without so much as an attempt to drive the price of the bounty further.

In that regard she respected the organization, even if she knew little more.

"Mr. Ardik, I understand that your men are to thank for the return of a fugitive some months back. Despite his recurring escape, his capture was most welcomed. That, however is not the discussion I had in mind for today."

The blonde gestured towards a seat directly in front of the desk, offering it to the elder man if he wished to sit.

"Aside from the knack Helix seems to have for located criminals, I am led to believe that your organization also manufactures and sells a number of droid models well equipped for war." Perhaps war was a strong term to use right out of the gate, one that might confuse his idea as to her intentions, but nonetheless she carried on. "I would like to discuss with you the feasibility for Naboo to acquire a supply of these. Our defense force is modest, and we do not have the luxury of funding a large military presence through conventional means. That being said, while we believe in peace, and remaining a sovereign neutral people, we must face the harsh reality that not all in the galaxy share our sentiment. My aim is to develop a contingency to that possibility. Perhaps you can assist me."

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Tytos Ardik took the offered seat, listening attentively and raising an eyebrow as the subject drifted to droid armies. A droid army for Naboo? Tytos was no historian - otherwise he might have found something ironic about that. Instead, he was but a simple businessman. Hence why his pupils only just stopped short of adopting the shape of the credit symbol. Strictly speaking, the Syndicate's battle and service droids were manufactured for internal use only, though that hadn't stopped some from slipping through the cracks into the black market.

There was something prestigious about them being sought out by Naboo, however. They had good credit, too. An exception would just have to be made. "The Helix Syndicate would be happy to contribute to Naboo's defense. How large of a force did you have in mind?"

He wondered if something planetary was in the cards. But given Theed's strategic importance to the entire planet's defense, such a thing might not be necessary. Enough droids to defend the city, or even just entrench around the palace, would likely be sufficient.

The young woman looked down at the datapad atop the table between the two. On the screen were a laundry list of items. Chief among them was a budget that the crown had spent a great deal of time mulling over. The concern here was that Naboo was not a galactic superpower with near limitless funds and resources. Her people were but a single economy within the grand scheme, and thus had finite credits to devote to such a defense project. While at the same time Jamie was certain that if necessary, Naboo could be given a loan to back the purchase, she understood well that owing money that the planet did not have to another entity, be it a galactic bank or government could, and would spell trouble for them down the line. It was best to simply not overextend ones self.

"I cannot afford the luxury of securing all of the planet from perceived threats. We simply do not have the means nor budget for it. A force sizeable enough to protect Theed, and its key infrastructure would be our goal. We would ideally delegate the more expensive, and therefore fewer in number models to key locations while the remainder are assigned as infantry resources to buffer our own RSF. I believe that coupled with our Gungan allies, we should have the necessary strength to repel an invasion force beset upon Theed."

Jamie was not quite certain as to the exact cost of these droids per capita, and thus decided it best to let Tytos explain what this would set them back, and for just how many he could or would be willing to part with on their behalf.

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Gungan allies? Did those primitive, inarticulate lake-dwellers even have... Guns? Or were they still using catapults? Perhaps historically they had held some relevance as a sufficiently large distraction, but against a modern force - especially a well-drilled army of Stormtroopers from wherever direction they happened to come - they would not even qualify as a distraction. If anything they would only succeed in making the attackers look indomitable. And demoralizing the surviving Gungan natives, if they even lived long enough to be demoralized.

Empires rarely had qualms with wiping out uppity, non-human natives in totality.

Well, he could ask about that after delivering his own assurances. "If you were to furnish a map of the city and the structures in need of defending, we will be able to provide estimates on the number of droids necessary and the costs of fielding them, as well as the relevant maintenance costs."

Tytos paused a moment, then asked. "Pardon my curiosity, your Majesty, but do the Gungans have access to modern equipment? I have been led to believe they are more preferential to catapults and cavalry than fighting vehicles and modern artillery..."

The blonde sat back in the chair, arm bent at the elbow whilst positioned atop the arm rest, finger playing at her lips.

"We could provide a layout of the city and its key infrastructure, as well as the main points of crossing that would need to be fortified." Right. 'maintenance costs.' In other words, continued debt. Ardik was a businessman after all, it was his job to look for that bottom line, whereas Jamie had to juggle the costs for the entirety of Naboo's defense budget, and orchestrate its implementation. Of all the duties she held as the head of state, that was the job that gave her the most sleepless nights. "You should have the information you need in just a few moments." Her finger swiped against the transparent screen of her datapad several times before pulling away and delivering her attention to Tytos once more.

Terrorist attacks were one thing -- A terrible thing, but a war on her planet? That was something entirely different, something she wanted to be prepared for, even if the odds were stacked against her.

"As for the Gungans, they do tend to prefer more simplistic forms of technology, but that is hardly to say they are without use. And in the times we live in, allies, at least true and honest ones, are hard enough to come by. I would be remiss to disregard their support, should it come to pass."

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Tytos nodded sympathetically. "I agree."

Yes, true and honest allies. Of course. Sounds like an army composed of fodder to me. Well, even fodder had their uses. Like clogging up the barrels of an invading army's guns, or obstructing their passage with mounds of corpses. If there was anything he had faith in the Gungans to do, it was just that. Meanwhile, the Syndicate's premier droids and the RSF would be just enough to hold off whatever enemies remained after the no-doubt disastrous Gungan counter-offensive. What a happy scenario that would be, Tytos could already feel the intergalactic prestige and recognition flooding in.

That and the money. Mostly the money. In his pocket, Tytos felt his own datapad rumble. Text messages from the Queen of Naboo. Truly a surer sign that he was still moving up in the galaxy had never presented itself.

"If you so desire, we can arrange for the droids to be shipped already outfitted with weapons and equipment. That should offset the lighter armaments of the Gungan forces."

"Ah, the up-sell." A remarkably small smirk painted her fair features. "The mark of a true businessman." And buried beneath the visage of a compliment. Shrewd.

The blonde nodded, knowing she had little room to maneuver in this situation. Naboo was hardly a military might, and acquiring weapons from outside of the system was a mountain of bureaucratic tape on both ends of the spectrum to which she would avoid if possible. Not to mention the logistics of having weapon systems shipped to Naboo through diplomatic means meant the possibility for more eyes than necessary being set on the defensive measures being put in place to secure the sovereignty of Naboo.

"I would like, if possible, Mr. Ardik, to see a live demonstration of these droid units. I assume such a thing can be arranged?"

As queen it was her duty to ensure that the credits spent on behalf of the crown were well placed. What better way than to witness a live exercise of their capabilities?

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The Umbaran smirked weakly and rolled his shoulders. "I try my best."

That was what he was getting paid to do, after all.

Any lighthearted expressions were quickly banished from his face when she requested a demonstration. Now the stakes were being raised. Even if the Queen and her retinue were the only ones in attendance (which he doubted would be the case), word of a successful demonstration would spread and generate market interest. Or word of a botched presentation would spread through gossip back channels like wildfire. The Helix Syndicate could probably contain the narrative in the Pentastar Alignment if it put its mind to it, but the bruised ego would be a permanent fixture for the rest of Tytos' tenure. And we just can't have that.

"We would be thrilled at such an opportunity to present our wares," he said, without missing a beat. "I can arrange for several units be shipped in, though I imagine it will take several days before they arrive on Naboo."

In reality, most of that time would go to planning the affair. Tytos would probably leave that duty to Felix, the Arconan who functioned as the Syndicate's head researcher. He had been around for the development of the droids, so he could be the one to explain them sufficiently. Although his speech impediment could pose a problem...

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

Jamie quickly clasped her hands together with a thunderous clap, bright smile over her youthful face. She seemed thoroughly pleased with Ardik's response. "Fantastic! That will give us the time necessary to facilitate an area for this testing out of the way of the city." And also out of the way of any potential damage caused. A few downed Zaela trees were much less problematic than a dozen blaster filled homes and a congregation of angry nobles. Listening to their bickering any more than absolutely necessary was welcoming a headache.

"I would be more than happy to arrange for living quarters to accommodate your stay, if you wish to remain on Naboo while awaiting your droids to be delivered."

After all, Naboo was a lovely sight to tour, and it seemed Mr. Ardik had not frequented her home much in the past.

"Free of charge of course, as a thank you for the demonstration."

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Tytos nearly flinched, but instead blinked hard. Did she just clap? Like he was a trained Entrallan baboon performing a trick. How unnerving. Back in the Alignment, no one clapped during these sorts of meetings. They usually didn't have any reason to. Conduct was more austere there - structured. A culture inflicted with ancient Imperial ideology would lend itself to as much. He did his best to look pleased anyway... With mixed results.

Well, let's not dwell on it. Better to think about that she had just offered to put him up for free. "That is very kind of you to offer, your Majesty, and I humbly accept."

He'd transfer over his hotel reservation to Felix and extend it later. Hopefully they didn't keep table salt out in the open. Felix was something of a straight-edge as it stood, but it was better not to tempt the Arconan into a nasty habit that would lower his overall usefulness.

"If you could forward me the details on the venue once you have them, I'll ensure the demonstration makes ample use of the area."

Or, perhaps more likely, modulate the size of the explosions accordingly.

"Very well. I hope you will find the accommodations appealing."

The establishment he would be staying in was located just a ways away from the palace, minutes away in fact, with a clear view of the Nabooian skyline and falls. That information would be transmitted, along with the location for the demonstration via the man's datapad, though the latter would be determined later in the evening, once they had appropriated said location for such a thing.

Jamie nodded, affording the man a momentary smile. "We should have a suitable location in mind in the next few hours. I will make sure that you are informed as soon as that happens."

The defense of Naboo was beginning to shape up nicely, she thought.

"Until then you're welcome to tour Naboo, or retire to the room I've arranged. The city is quite a sight, though, if you're one for tourism."

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"I'll be sure to look into it, your Majesty," said Tytos, which was code for "I am at a very advanced age and my bedtime is typically around five thirty PM on my days off."

Tours were for people who went to be sometime after 7 PM on their days off. At some point he would have to pick up a souvenir before he left, if only to hang it in his office and use it for a conversation point. This statue here? Ah, I had picked it up in Theed. I was meeting the Queen of Naboo. You know, that Queen. Please give me your money. That sort of thing. Aside from the usefulness a token of his visit might have, Tytos was terribly uninterested in the rest of this locale. Theed was but a place. Tytos preferred the neo-industrialist architecture of Cantras Gola anyway. Too much nature agitated the sinuses.

Very advanced age, indeed.

Tytos began to rise from his seat, "If it pleases, I'll take my leave now and work on making arrangements."

Jamie had nearly her entire life on Naboo. The phrase "I'll look into it" was well within her repertoire of noble bunkum. The man was being polite, certainly, but he had to have known that she knew just as well that he was hardly sincere. Of course it hardly mattered one way or the other, Jamie simply took great pride in her home and its natural beauty, and Ardik was being respectful in a manner to that end. After all was said and done this was still more or less a business transaction, and so long as that went well enough then she could hardly complain that he didn't feel the desire to stop and view the flower gardens on his way out.

"Of course."

She nodded, "We'll not keep you waiting long, I assure you." A flash of a smile followed.

"I do hope you enjoy your stay."

[member="Tytos Ardik"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom