Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Y.N.D. (Ysalamiri Neural Disabler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A
Intent: To create a Ysalamir countermeasure that works similarly to and in the same radius as their force negation abilities.
Development Thread:

• Invasion of Wayland - After winning the invasion, Fort Monroe and its assets became property of the Primeval. Including two-hundred Ysalamiri contained in a single Bral.
  • Trial Runs - Conducting tests on the specimen to develop the final product.
  • Zealots, R&D, and Ysalamiri - Further development of the final product.
Manufacturer: The Primeval Fleet
Model: N/A
Affiliation: The Primeval
Modularity: No.
Production: Limited

Material: Basic emitters, microprocessors, and remote parts; nothing fancy.

Description: How do you negate something as pesky as an 'anti-force bubble?' The short answer is you don't; at least not in this case. Rather than trying to negate force negation itself, the Y.N.D. is a device that can be either handheld or attached to an armband which emits a signal to the Ysalamiri, triggering cardiac arrest and thus swiftly killing the creature in a mere moment. The device itself emits a frequency that only the Ysalamiri react to in 3 meter cone radius. Meaning that any creature outside of 3 meters in any direction the device is pointed in will not be affected.This is designed to not affect other species, although that isn't of course to say such technology couldn't be applied elsewhere. Yet somehow the Ysalamiri were simple enough to be affected by such a device.

The technology does have its limitations, however. Ironically; the emitter is only effective within the creature's bubbles themselves. One is required to be within the bubble to incapacitate the creature. Like all technology, the device can be disrupted by any form of EMP, rendering it useless. Its greatest perk is being that due to the nature of the emitter, the signal is able to pass through solid matter, making the nutrient packs no form of protection for the Ysalamiri.

Strengths
Can 'disable' Ysalamiri: Literally the device's single purpose, it does the job well.
Handheld Remote: It's easy to carry, looks inconspicuous, and is not difficult to utilize; taking only a second to activate.

Weaknesses
Limited Range: Anything outside of its 3 meter cone will remain quite well and alive, meaning the creature's ability to 'stack' range remains an advantage.
It's a Remote: It can be EMP'd, crushed, stolen, and misplaced. There's nothing special about its parts and it's not particularly sturdy.

Primary Source: N/A

Anja Aj'Rou said:
emits an artificial neurological pattern that exclusively targets Ysalamiri brainwaves
You mean it causes a Ysalamir's brain to release a neurological signal? Just a quick google search shows that a neurological pattern is just a pattern of neurological signals, so I am not quite certain what exactly you would mean by this.

• How is it being transmitted? Radiowaves, radiation..?
  • How does this effect the Ysalamir's brain in a way that it causes a heart attack? A simple signal isn't going to cause cardiac arrest, much less immediate death.
  • You state this can pass through solid matter (the signal) - I suppose this really depends on the first question's answer, but if it isn't a form of penetrative radiation and relies on sound waves or something similar, how is it able to pass through solid objects?

Anja Aj'Rou said:
Trial Runs - Conducting tests on the specimen to develop the final product.
This development thread needs to reach 10 posts at a minimum to be considered a part of this submission.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

Working on getting that post out.

And to answer your initial question, I would say it works similarly along the lines of hyperwave signals; at least the basis of the technology behind it. Science fiction honestly has a bad habit of explaining things without actually explaining them, so I'd be my assumption that hyperwaves are transmitted in a form limited quantum nonlocality. But rather than going paragraphs deep in quantum theory, it'd be a lot easier just to compare to what exists in Star Wars already. In so many sources, many signals in Star wars have been received through solid matter, in the vacuum of space, and vast remote distances all without fail.

That is to say, this remote takes that level of technology but instead utilizes it to create a short-ranged pulse signal which communicates with the creature's brain in in the same 'language' it uses to communicate with its nervous system.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]
Hyperwave signals are transmitted through hyperspace, allowing for such transmissions. Hyperspace is an entirely separate dimension from realspace (where we exist), to utilize hyperdrives and reach faster-than-light speeds a ship moves into that dimension, is coated in a stasis field (to prevent the ship and its contents being lost in time), and it utilizes the equivalent of shortcuts to reach intended locations. They are signals which, like a radiowave, are transmitted from the ship, but through the use of a hyperwave receiver and transmitter they are sent and received through the use of hyperspace.

They are a form of radiation, some form of a radiowave or similar, which is penetrative in basis.

A brain and nervous system, on the other hand, works off of electrical impulses. A radiowave, short or long, as well as a signal transmitted through one, is not going to effect it in any way other than perhaps causing an increased chance of cancer by way of radiation exposure that living beside a radio tower would give. The way to effect the nervous system, which is what regulates the cardiovascular system, is through either electric shocks of varying voltages, or an electromagnetic field that transmits the same frequency that would trigger the brain to stop the heart from beating.

The question, after this, is what is to stop someone from taking this and modifying it to effect humans and other species?

[member="Braith Achlys"]

Is it honestly a requirement for me to explain these types of sciences? I wasn't saying it used hyperwaves, just that would be my explanation for what type of technology this device utilizes to send out signals. But then again, Star Wars has things like the force. Things work quite differently because it's science fiction, the fictional aspect is what provides the creativity and allows for imaginative properties.

This isn't something terribly scientific outright, when compared to some of the many things that exist in canon. So I'd like to forego giving such a specific explanation if it's not a requirement.

Braith Achlys said:
The question, after this, is what is to stop someone from taking this and modifying it to effect humans and other species?
Well, that'd require you to know exactly how their species' brains worked; which would make it an entirely different device (thus not applying under this submission.) So someone would have to sub that, if they wanted that effect.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]
I'm not going to approve of this with a 100% kill rate of all ysalamir in 10 meters. The moment someone goes up against another writer who is utilizing one and someone uses this and writes off the NPC, that other writer will report this submission right away.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]
The purpose of this is because there are materials which block certain forms of radiation, EM, and electricity. People have a way to prevent the device's usage if they know how it works. The way it works cannot be figured out and established after the submission has been approved.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

With all due repect ysalamir have a 100% negation rate within 10 meters (more if they're stacked), this is a countermeasure to a weapon. Arguably, if no countermeasure of equal strength would be allowed wouldn't that make the weapon in question more powerful?

I didn't see your second mention, sorry. An EMP is more than able to stop it. You can remove it from someone's hand, and it'll be hard to pull out a remote if you're dueling someone regardless (since you'll likely be holding a weapon, under constant attack, running around, etc.)

Anja Aj'Rou said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]

With all due repect ysalamir have a 100% negation rate within 10 meters (more if they're stacked), this is a countermeasure to a weapon. Arguably, if no countermeasure of equal strength would be allowed wouldn't that make the weapon in question more powerful?

I didn't see your second mention, sorry. An EMP is more than able to stop it. You can remove it from someone's hand, and it'll be hard to pull out a remote if you're dueling someone regardless (since you'll likely be holding a weapon, under constant attack, running around, etc.)
Ysalamir stop the use of the force within ten meters, they do not kill everything within ten meters. If you are looking for a way to get around a Ysalamir's canon ability to stop the manipulation of the force within those ten meters than I would suggest looking into a device or something of the sort which would nullify their ability to do so, not a device which immediately kills every Ysalamir within a ten meter radius.

To clarify, I am going to deny this submission if it does not have its ability to immediately cause cardiac arrest of every Ysalamir within 10 meters, regardless of physical barrier or otherwise, removed or greatly toned down.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Braith Achlys said:
Ysalamir stop the use of the force within ten meters, they do not kill everything within ten meters. If you are looking for a way to get around a Ysalamir's canon ability to stop the manipulation of the force within those ten meters than I would suggest looking into a device or something of the sort which would nullify their ability to do so, not a device which immediately kills every Ysalamir within a ten meter radius.
Ysalamiri did not actually negate the Force; since all existence was infused with Force energy,[4] this would not be possible. Rather, they projected a bubble inside which users were unable to exert any influence over the Force. A single bubble measured up to 10 meters in diameter; large groups of ysalamiri could extend their collective bubble by kilometers, but only in great numbers.[
Such a device (under the suggested alternative) would be tech which manipulates the force itself, preventing them from creating their bubble or at least changing the nature in which it works. Which would be more complicated, and less easily countered than my suggestion above. The device requires one to get in close, but in the case of a large group of these creatures (which the Bral is a good example of) that bubble would be kilometers large, meaning in the end they still have more advantages than the countermeasure.

So with that said, what if the device merely put them into a temporary coma. Since their ability is manipulation of the force itself, which couldn't be done if they were pacified.

Is this a reasonable alternative?

Anja Aj'Rou said:
Such a device (under the suggested alternative) would be tech which manipulates the force itself, preventing them from creating their bubble or at least changing the nature in which it works. Which would be more complicated, and less easily countered than my suggestion above. The device requires one to get in close, but in the case of a large group of these creatures (which the Bral is a good example of) that bubble would be kilometers large, meaning in the end they still have more advantages than the countermeasure.
There exists multiple forms of technology which exist to hinder a force user's ability to utilize or touch the force, such as Ixetal Cilona found in Death Sticks. (See the latter link, Characteristics portion, to see relevance to force usage) You don't need to use the force to combat the force, we have board-canon grenades which release a modified Ixetal Cilona toxin to disable force users from using it upon inhalation via gas.

You can incapacitate them, as your temporary coma would do, and that would be fine. I do suggest, though, to look into prohibiting the Ysalamir's ability to utilize the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom