Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech X-03b "Tempestarii" Class Storm Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin-bergquist-snowscapeenv-concept-storm-a-v001.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a spooky intimidation tactic for the Lords of the Sith's navy.
  • Image Source: Sanctuary 2 MarvelMartin Bergquist
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Nihil Cloud Generators
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Jaeger Solutions
  • Affiliation: Sith Eternal
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: X-03b "Tempestarii" Class Storm Generator
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Limited
  • Material:
    • Various Storm Components
    • Durasteel Casing
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Generates massive space storms many kilometers in diameter.
  • Blocks both internal and external sensors.
    • Is obviously unnatural.
  • Can shroud fleets and their makeup, while making fighter combat extremely dangerous while in the cloud.
  • Shoots lightning at unsuspecting ships at random.
  • Can be used through hyperspace.
STRENGTHS
  • Void Storm -
    • Simple and sweet, the Tempestarii creates a massive space storm capable of shrouding an approaching fleet in an artificial tempest sensors can not broach. This creates an intimidation factor that doubles to hide a fleet's makeup and create an encroaching cloud of war. Together, they can give planets more than just a heads up of an approaching fleet, but to have a semblance of the unknown - as a massive black cloud drives ever closer to their fleet, their planet, and their homes.
WEAKNESSES
  • Double-Blind -
    • While the system itself blocks the outside looking in, it also blocks sensors from leaving as well. This means that once inside the storm, any ships that remain within it are simply beholden to the same cloud that masks them - heavy and thick, massive and imposing, it deafens them as much as it deafens the enemy.
  • Lightning Strikes Twice -
    • Since the lightning generated from the Tempestarii has no aiming protocols, it can both strike friendly starfighters and enemy starfighters - though does minimal damage to anything larger than 100 meters. While random, this can create a dangerous environment for dogfighting within the cloud for both friendly and unfriendly starfighters; a dangerous effect for everyone involved.
DESCRIPTION

CourteousAfraidBream-max-1mb.gif

Following the reintroduction of the Nihil fleet tactics into the Lords of the Sith; the Tempestarii was a massive storm generator scaled to kilometers to compensate for modern fleet sizes. While not a new technology, it still took the Jaeger techs some time to redevelop the lost technology to modern requirements - adding in the benefits of the sensor blocking cloud. This allows for it to be equal tactically viable as well as intimidating.​
Just as the Nihil, the storm cloud is used to close the distance between the enemy and the fleet in question through blinding accurate fire. Reducing the chance to be shot while within the cloud since targeting computers generally don't work through it, it allows the fleet to hide fleet composition and tactics until they leave or disable it. Additionally, it allows reasonable protection from fighters and small ships while the fleet is utilizing the system due to its lightning strikes.​
Overall, this makes the system not so much a 'stealth' system, as much as it is an overtly obvious synthetic storm cloud that shrouds fleet signatures to a reasonable degree. This means enemy sensors can detect that it is a hostile and artificial construction, but not know the exact details of what it contains. Intimidating, morally damaging, the storm generator serves as both a sensor blocking cloud and a tool for demoralization.​

Last edited:
Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean | William Bradley William Bradley

This is an interesting idea but there are just a few things I need to clarify before we can move forward.

1) Primary Source.

• Primary Source: Nihil Cloud Generators

Please could you provide a link to the Nihil Cloud Generators

2) Space Storms

Could you please provide a link to these space storms? The only storms I know of that occur in space are force generated, is that what you're referring too here?

John Locke John Locke

I, oddly enough, can't. Theres a chapter in the Light of the Jedi book that the NIhil leave a storm cloud in space to attack a freighter - where lightning within it manages to shroud their ships until the freighter was right along side them. Then all the ships burst from it.

It wasn't force generated, it was just 'there', but there aren't any direct references to it I can find.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Apologies for the delay. The more I read this submission the more I love it as a signature set-piece for a faction.

I've browsed around and I have also found no evidence that this was a generated storm over a natural storm, which leaves me with a few issues for us to deal with.

1) This is in effect a large scale cloaking device, which would allow mass-produced ships to hide while they're within the area of the storm. This would be against Chaos rules for the simple fact that it would allow them to benefit from the stealth without the required downside (semi-unique production). I don't want to take away the coolness of this submission though, so could we say it's an imperfect cloak, allowing glimpses inside but distorting and obscuring sensors, much like reflec does?

2) While I haven't been able to find any reference to these space storms either, their effects do seem to be remarkably similar to those of Nebula, which it is possible to artificially create. Given that I'm happy to pass it off for the visual aspect of this nebula/storm bearing down on a planet/fleet rather than just a distorted area on the sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom