Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P8tWzJK.png

Nar Shaddaa | Taago the Hutt’s Blood Dome
He wiped the blood from the corner of his mouth. Respite would be short lived, and he didn’t really want to have the taste of blood be his companion. Especially not someone else’s blood.

The last blow had been gruesome. It had given Brandyn just a moment’s pause after being announced as the winner of the bout. He may have gone too far. The man looked like he could have been dead, if not the unconscious for a rather long time. If his face had healed that way, the man’s own mother might struggle to recognise him.

This was not the way of the Jedi.

Brandyn blinked away the sweat, and the words in his mother’s voice that echoed in his mind. He was doing this for her. For them all. And he would not be stopped. Those that committed such heinous deeds would be brought down, and he increasingly felt that any means may be justified.

He sat in a bullpen off to the side of the arena where he had just finished his fourth cage match for the day. He was sore. Very sore. During the breaks, he tried to focus on the light side’s ability to heal. Much to his increasing frustration, he found that he was unable to heal faster than the norm. With each match he had turned more and more into the pain, using it as fuel to complete his victory. But it was taking its toll.

Take me with you.

The words of his beloved, Cybelle Elyance Cybelle Elyance , repeated in his head. No. She didn’t need to see this. She was pure. She was the light. His light. He would finish his mission and return to her, his anchor to the light. But she could not see this. She could not see him like this. He was doing this for her. For Briana. For Blaire. For Bastila. For...himself.

The cheer of the crowd indicated that another bout had just been completed. The bracket was nearing its completion, and Brandyn had found himself the winner of one side. He would soon face off against the one that had so quickly dispatched their semi-final opponent. Thankfully, there was a grace period, time for the other to recover. This gave Brandyn a little more of the desperately needed time to find the light and heal his wounds. He winced as his bloodied side hurt. A nearby attendant began dabbing at the wound in his side, but Brandyn shrugged them off.

”The Master will wish you change and present well. Please. I wish not to undergo punishment for disappointing him.”

“Very well,” Brandyn muttered as he stood and the attendants began tugging his clothes off and tending to his wounds.

One more opponent stood in his way. Then he would be granted attendance to Taago’s table. A table that currently hosted one Davion Parx, underworld entrepreneur and more importantly benefactor to The New Way. Most importantly, he was the money behind the purchase of a particular droid. Brandyn would have words with this man. Nothing would stop this.

Club and shield in hand, Brandyn was now dressed in what amounted to a loin cloth of loose hanging fabric tied around his waste and pulled up around his legs and then over his left shoulder. It was abhorrent. He felt almost naked. It was probably the idea, putting on a show for the paying crowds. The Hutts had a way of milking their performers for everything they could. His attire was testament to this.

The door rose, revealing the riotous crowds pressed against and shaking the cage around the arena. They lusted for spectacle and death. Brandyn was more than happy to oblige. That was, until the door across the arena finished opening.

”You?” The crowd drowned him out.

The gladiatrix stepped out from her alcove into the sun. She flourished her club. Though the crowd's clamor had masked his question, Iayn echoed the sentiment, albeit in her own way, after scoffing.

"I knew I had a bad feeling about you."

She huffed the last word as she spun her weapon once more. In a flash of movement, she closed in on him, her club approaching the side of his head.

Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

His shield came up to block her blow. Stepping back he let her club fall towards the ground before shoving her away with his shoulder. “Iayn…what are you doing here?” He said, cursing Shiraya’s will.

The crowd roared with the first contact of club and shield, but the noise quickly changed to sounds of confusion as Brandyn back-peddled Instead of engaging as he had done previously.

”I have to win this…but…”

Iayn’s appearance brought the previous opponents lives into focus. They were not obstacles but people.

”…do you need help? I can help you escape!”

Brandyn counted with a defensive posture again, deflecting the blows. Multiple steps were taken away and then around in a strafing walk. “I don’t want to fight you,” he said, forehead deeply creased in frustration.

Her statement about family took him off guard, as did her next attack. Brandyn stumbled back. Given the moment, he did not immediately connect the dots. “Your family? I barely know you!” He said, thinking how he could possibly have offended her.

"Then you're in the wrong place!"

He had killed four already, just as she had, to get here today. The idea that he had suddenly grown a conscience now of all times would have been more than enough to fuel her anger at him had she had no other reason. But, oh, she did.

She swiped her shield in a horizontal arc at his head. The crowd began to cheer again, even if the fight was currently one-sided. "All for a fething droid! The rich, lawful boys really do have no shame!"

Even as he ducked the blow, Brandyn’s face lit up with recognition. His eyes flashed a sense of understanding, and he stepped towards her. She was related the Malcoma Hesse? How closely? It didn’t matter.

The crowd jeered at Brandyn as he failed to take the opening to attack beneath her swinging shield. Instead, he grabbed her arms and pulled with all he had to pin them at her side. “That…fething…droid…killed…my…”

He struggled to finish the words.

”…it killed my mom,” his words mixed sorrow and anger into a tide of emotion that rose quickly. The death of Baros Sal-Soren would go unmentioned as it deserved to be.

Her weapon and defense clattered to the bloodied metal floor as he secured her arms at her sides. "So you get to almost kill..." She cut herself off by throwing her head backwards suddenly. She didn't know at first if she had actually hit him or simply startled him into ducking out of the way, but either way the blow allowed herself to wrench herself free of his hold. As she seized forward, she stepped on the hilt of her club in such a way that it flipped up into the air. "...mine?!" It somersaulted and Iayn grabbed the handle.

She turned on her heel towards Brandyn again. "Seems fair," she sneered sarcastically. For now, she only stood there, not attacking.

Last edited:
It was the impact of the back of her head with the bridge of his nose that left him in tears. Her words rang in his ears as he stumbled back, hand rising to check if his nose was bleeding. “I had it in control!” He yelled, “there was no risk to…”

He picked up his shied again, as a frown formed in place of his grimace. “…your mother?”

“Do you know…your mother…is like…a really bad person?”
He said, a pitiful attempt to excuse his actions.

As far as Iayn was concerned, Brandyn couldn't hope to deserve an explanation, even if the unlikely duo were anywhere but here. Instead, she opted for simplicity:

"I'm a bad person!" After a short, running start, Iayn struck again. "These are bad people!" The club sought to connect with him again. "Are you a bad person?!"

She knew the answer but asked nonetheless.

Block.

“That’s not the impression I got on Naboo…”

Block.

“That’s why I haven’t felt bad about what I had to do to get here…”

Missed block.

The impact of the final question registered a half second before her club hit him in a glancing blow on the side of the head. He stumbled backwards, falling to his knees and dropping his shield. The crowd roared. Many of the patrons were standing and either jeering or cheering. Others were shaking the chain fence that separated them from the arena.

Brandyn looked up. A gash in the side of his the latest of his gladiatorial injuries. Blood ran quickly, and freely, down the side of his face. His loose fitting garb was quickly soaking up the thick red result of his distraction.

”Yeah…probably,” he said, through double vision, “but you don’t seem to think so….I mean….disappointed as you.”

Iayn came to stand over him slowly, the back of her dark-haired head blocking Bran's view of a particularly bright fluorescent rod hanging on the high ceiling and a bleacher-ful of rowdy onlookers. For a string of moments, she only breathed steadily. "You don't know me," she said finally, voice quieter than before but still seething. "I don't know you. I couldn't possibly be disappointed."

She didn't want to kill him, not for the person he was or wasn't but for what he represented to her. He was her vacation to Naboo, the last time that she had been truly happy and the first time she had heard whispered doubts about the path she was going to, and had now, set herself on.

"But Mercy will be."

She should have listened to the latter, savored the former. In the quietest of moments of her hectic days just before she fell asleep, she knew that she had become who Malcoma had worked restlessly to empower: a de-horned hybrid, left to bleed to death on a bed of hay underneath a coliseum. If she killed Brandyn now, the figure that came to mind at that small fraction of the day would no longer be animated enough to stoop down and encourage her to right herself. She never did, but the gentle encouragement was something she could not give up. Nor would she have anyone but Mercy to keep her dependable company. Selfish stranger as he was, he was not outright toxic to her, at least not in her mental image of him.

Without moving her gaze from the Jedi, Iayn tossed her weapon aside. For a moment, the only sound in the arena was a dull thud of metal on metal. She backpedaled two large steps before the spell holding the crowd still shattered and their disapproval became evident.

"pleasure to meet you. Name's Brandyn...Sal-Soren, Jedi Padawan and all around...lousey first impressionist."

"For the record, you're lousy at second impressions too."

She knew that Taago would respect her refusal to fight, even though he and most of his patrons would be angry about it. There were a few reasons that a pit fighter might turn down a challenge, even in the middle of the resulting fight, though the likelihood that their choice would not end in death was a different matter entirely. She was lucky that she was a good enough gladiator who meant more on this scene alive than dead. She was normally very entertaining too, which allowed her just a little bit of slack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom