Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Wounded

<It’s painkillers,> Kai answered, his tone weirdly cold. He finally turned to face Amani again. <Opioids. Stuff to help with the pain after I get tossed around in battle, or to help me sleep at night. It’s perfectly legal. I have prescriptions and everything.>

That didn’t explain why he was so reluctant to let her see it, he knew. So he added, <Only one of these holes is from anything else. I went to Denon recently to see a friend. We did glitterstim together one time. That’s it.>

Opioids can be dangerously addictive. So can glitterstim.” She added sternly. “And- why a needle? Why not, like, pills?” Amani sighed and seemed to deflate. Kai earned a long stare, the internal conflict apparent on her face. Was he lying? She wanted to trust that it was really all as he said. But she wouldn’t ignore her concerns, either.

“You’re going to show me those prescriptions. And I’ll be checking in regularly to make sure we're staying on track.” If he got addicted, or was lying, she wanted to find out before it got bad.

<Needles work faster.>

Kai was somewhat intimidated by Amani, though he tried not to show it. He had done what he could to hide his addiction, but she had still seen through it. Would she hold to her principles of doctor-patient confidentiality, or would he be dragged before the Council after this doctor's visit?

<The prescriptions are listed in my file. And… okay, I guess.>

“Hm.” Amani was unsatisfied. On top of everything else he was playing with highly addictive drugs. Kai didn’t need that risk over his head. She scrolled down his file to check for the prescriptions but said nothing, merely offering him another squinted look.

Another sigh escaped her before she spoke again, now more soft and sincere, “I just want to make sure you’re being safe, Kai. I won’t be telling anyone about this, but that means I need you to play along with me here. If this gets worse, or it’s already worse than you’re telling me, we need to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.” She squeezed the boy’s shoulder, “Deal?”

Amani said nothing, but lifted the cuff back up to take his blood pressure. It strapped to his arm, and the device began to squeeze tightly before loosening once more. The result earned an expressionless glance from the healer before she undid the fastener.

“‘Kay.” There was an undercurrent of sadness to her now. But she said nothing else, and stepped out of Kai’s way to allow him to leave. Part of her wondered if it really would be better, for his sake, to just oust his drug risk to the council. It felt like this was an opportunity for things to get worse. At the same time, if she did her job, then perhaps it wouldn’t become anything worse. And Kai wouldn’t have to feel like another person had turned on him.

Was that worth the risk?

It was something she would spend the rest of the day thinking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom