Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won't you be mine?

Vilhelm Balfour

V
Concordia Mandalore's moon, yet it did not carry the scares of it's homeworld. It was temperate, wild, full of the jungle. It wasn't ready for Mandalore's destruction, for the repopulation. Had it's issues, what with the Mandalorians and the Mando'ade collapsing. Many of the mandalorian 'milita' had dispersed to mercenary or bounty work, finding other ways to feed their families. Perfect timing for a raid.

There was fight going on right now, unbeknownst to Moff Balfour. Even without that knowledge, it didn't take a genius to figure now was the time to strike. They were disorganized once again, spread across the clans, not holding a national identity. The perfect time for a raid.

"DeeTee 1600." Balfour called [member="Anjin Kent"] to attention. He was one of less than a dozen in the meeting room of the Moff's Star Destroyer. "You are to lead the ground squad at entrance Aurek." He pressed a button on his datapad and a portion of a mine was highlighted. "Your squad will encounter heavy resistance. You are to clear the main entryways and secure the position, after which you'll be joined by squads Besh, Desh, and Zerek. They are to take care of stragglers but their primary focus is to load as much as they can onto the repulsorlifts."

Anjin Kent

A
Squad Lead 1-1 1600 toggled his helmet mic, briefly disabling the vocal warbler. Anjin took a pointer from the plate-glass table deck and drew his own notations across the sectioned AO hologram. He glanced over the orbital imagery capture, at ID’d refinery derricks, several hulking bucket-wheel excavators, boxed ore repulsor-vics, stationed speeders, and the minute head-shoulder blips of multiple guard outfits.

“Zeta-1 will make approach south-south-west, under cover via a natural knoll declination,” Anjin rasped. “At one KM out, we will disembark transport and continue on via fast-attack 74-Z’s. At 09:00, Zeta-1 will engage all EI at Entrance Aurek. Captain Graves will follow suite with his back-up infantry and armour elements.

“With, Aurek Entrance secured, Zeta-1 will pursue and purge remaining EI in the mine proper. ...I recommend installing mobile artillery, in case outside reinforcements arrive to contest the mine,” Anjin powered the pointer off and replaced it to its recharge-well, clicking in boots, saluting the command assemblage smartly. “With your leave, sir.”

[member="Tobias Schmitt"]

Vilhelm Balfour

V
Moff Balfour listened to the death trooper [member="Anjin Kent"] as he suggested a course of action, then turned his head over to one of the men across the table.

"Major Ballast?" Balfour prompted, and the man responded in kind.

"Commander Sirion's Gozanti has brought light walkers ready to deploy at your command sir. If Zeta-1 makes the approach south-south-west than we can deploy north by north-west and divert firepower away from Zeta-1's trajectory." The Major replied, taking his own pointer and highlighting deployment paths as he spoke.

"Do it." Balfour ordered, and the Major nodded in reply. "Captain Gellis, has reconnaissance detected any sign of potential space support?"

"They have detected some cloud car and starfighter bases within range, but we haven't detected any signs of heavy resistance within the system. We don't know what MandalMotors will do"

"We will take them if they mount a resistance." Balfour interrupted Captain Gellis with a hint of annoyance in his tone. "Lieutenant, get your squad to their shuttle. Major, get those walkers ready to deploy. Captain, prepare communications jammers. I want us on the ground in the next thirty minutes, and at the mine within the hour."

Anjin Kent

A
//ISD Imperial-I Class Iudicatrix : IF DSID|1914-1918\\
[LST: 08:55]
//ISC Sentinel-Class Landing Craft Razor\\

“Take-off t-minus five. Sealing cabin. Cycling on primary power. Shield generators and turrets powering. All flight systems nominal, Razor go for green, Control, copy. ...Roger ...We are approved for flight plan. Buckle up back there, spooks.”

Zeta-1 keyed their HUD links and synced with the shuttle’s onboard readouts. A running timer blinked just up in the corner of their vision, spinning out by the milisecond. Zeta’s Seven-Nine, Four-Five, performed last minute hardware checks and readjusted their seat crash webbing. Anjin felt the decking thrum up through his boot soles. Beside him, Ash, Zeta Four-One, his unspoken ‘second’ in Zeta Squad, performed another umpteenth adjustment to her rifle’s telescopic shoulder-stock and laced the webbing straps round her cuirass plate tighter.

At t-minus two minutes, Anjin ordered finalized suit inspections and a webgear inventory cataloguing. In turn, each Zeta pinged off ready, wordlessly and clinically filtering through their chosen gear load outs. Ash looked again that her E-11S was properly safetied. Zeta-Lead glanced over his favoured E-11D, eyeing the shrinking timer, waiting for the familiar stomach-flip that came with the initial take off.

T-minus zero-three, two, one. The forward pilot broadcasted a curt warning and the Sentinel lander disengaged from its berth moorings. Zeta-1 felt the combating lurch temporarily rearrange their hard organs before the shuttle’s gravity generator righted them as they began orbital and then atmospheric descent. Further in the troop hold, six tarp draped 74-Z bikes jostled in their wire grapnels. Anjin uttered a swift bark of vocal commands, blinking on a corner topographical read out, targeting cross-hair, vital readouts for the entirety of the squad, ammunition counter, and more. The rest of his fighters followed suit, linking from suit to suit.

“We’ve not fought Mando’ade, Pilot,” Said Six-Three. “But they’ve reputation.”

“They do, and so we will respect their prowess,” Anjin said. “But we will take them apart nonetheless. Remember: ‘Death always wins.’”

“Death always wins.” They intoned the mantra. DT-1600 regarded his helmet read.

“...T-minus one minute to ground fall! Zeta-One! Ready weapons and prepare for dismount! On my mark!”

“Landing in thiry secs!” The cockpit chattered over static. “Activating braking jets! ...Fifteen seconds... Ten!”

They shook in their seating, rolling loose with the vessel yaw, feeling the hard shunt of planetary gravity catch up beneath their rumps. The shout of compacting air under the pectoral wings and the belly-mounted correction thrusters nearly upended their stomachs. Hard g-force bunted them against their seat webbing. When Anjin felt they were settled just enough, before the landing stanchions were yet fully deployed, he was up and sprinting for the forward bike.

“Zeta! Go, go, go! Pilot, extend ramp!”

“We’re not - !”

“Extend ramp now!”

The shuttle officer performed as bidden. The debarkation ramp, proper safeties disengaged, hinged open. Cold Concordian morning air rushed across Zeta Squad, seated a man to a speeder. Anjin tested the steerage grips and throttled on the aft engine, pressing heat to the waking afterburner. Discarded tarp covers and grapnel steel cords twisted and snaked back across the shuttle hold, as their backwash howled. Zeta-Lead let slip the breaks, and shot forward into the chilly clearing beyond.

Vilhelm Balfour

V
"We've messages from Major Ballast on the Blood Crow. Walkers are deployed and en route to target." Comms officer Baera announced.

"Sensor readings and visuals on holo." Balfour ordered, and another bridge officer put up a display of a five kilometer radius around the mine. They showed a squad of four AT-DP walkers heading through the cold of Mandalore's moon, towards the mine, backed up by a token assortment of stormtroopers. Mandalorian speeders began to mobilize towards the walkers. "ETA on incoming speeders?"

"Four to six minutes depending on acceleration sir." One of the sensor technicians replied.

"Get me a smaller window on that estimation Ensign." Balfour ordered, then turned to the comms officer. "Lieutenant Baera, do we have confirmation Zeta squad is on the ground?"

"Shuttle Pilot reports Zeta Squad is on the ground and heading to target sir. They are returning to port." Baera replied.

"Ensign get them on screen and tell me when my walkers are going to make contact." Balfour ordered, his tone getting ever so slightly louder. His men were about to be underfire, and he didn't like to be without information.

[member="Anjin Kent"]

Anjin Kent

A
The mine head was attached to the side of a bare hill settled on the beginnings of an ancient glacial flat. A half-dozen other slopes popped up from the stony landscape, crowned with hoist derricks and ventilation ducts. Machinery depots fenced the operation property, parked with idling ore loaders, disused steel-cast rocker loaders detached from their tether rails, a handful of heavier bucket loaders mounted on traditional fluted tracks, and barrel-fulls of broken piston-hammers and worn laser-picks.

At five hundred metres, blowing the afterburners open, Zeta Squadron caught sight of the remains of a grid fence. The remaining posts were fifteen metres tall at peak height, drilled, bolted, and welded into place. Disconnected power feeds snaked and rolled in the breeze from plug-in sockets. Beyond, Entrance designate ‘Aurek’: a wide entrance portal framed in cheap ferrocrete pylons. DT-1600 charged the belly-mounted bike cannon, drawing a line toward the port-hand side of the declination portal. He blitzed the security station and the alarmed Mandalorian within, ripping the roof down. Anjin cocked the control rods and planed his fire arc wide, cutting down another three. At that silent mark, Zeta Squad opened fire.

Low-yield cannon fire prologued their on-foot arrival. Anjin boosted the onboard comm-jammer and drifted into a smart, halting skid. It took him into cover behind a row of rock overburden laid in marked durasteel barrels. He loosed the E-11D’s safety, snapping off a shot-burst, clipping a trudging Mando’ade to scorched pieces. Next, a pair trying to take scant cover at the mine portal; blowing open a T-visor and cooking the skull behind, catching their partner through an eye and out the back of their occipital plate.

Zeta’s Four-One and Six-Two charged the west flank, Four-Five and Six-Nine cutting east across the machine lot. Seven-Nine skidded in beside Anjin behind their barrel cover, adding to his shooting vector. Blast rounds picked at the packed rock dross, slagging the plastic. The fume was acrid. Seven-Nine pinned a sharpshooter taking patient shots from a derrick crane overlooking a secondary ore hoist shaft; their corpse folded in, boneless, and dropped from sight. Across the ore extraction operation, the rest of Zeta Squad rained in curt, precise cannon fire, wrecking standing ore transport haulers into burning hulks. Pitch, oily smoke bloomed over the mining heads.

“Zeta Lead. We are engaged, Castle Actual,” Anjin announced on comms. "Proceeding into Mine Proper, copy."

Vilhelm Balfour

V
Balfour watched the holoscreen as the speeders came closer to meeting the walkers and snowtroopers.

"Mobile Armor has visual confirmation. Shall they engage?" Comms officer Baera reported.

"Mobile armor is to engage. Command snowtrooopers to seek flanking positions." Balfour ordered. They would continue on of course, the pride of their warrior culture demanded it, not to mention the value of the mine itself.

"Reports of shots fired. Mandalorians counter-firing. Snow troopers and Mobile Armor engaging." Comms officer Baera replied. It had begun. "Transmission coming in from Zeta-1 sir."

"Patch it in Lieutenant."

Zeta Lead. We are engaged, Castle Actual. Proceeding into Mine Proper, copy." [member="Anjin Kent"] reported. Everything so far had gone according to plan.

"Copy that Zeta Lead. Proceed when ready." Balfour responded as he observed the holomap. He cut off the line and directed again to the bridge crew. "Give me 100x reduction on the holomap, I want to see the skies."

Anjin Kent

A
An ambush in the hoist house briefly slowed them. Another squadron, six bodies in painted duraplast and black visors, rose from cover amidst the powered tether-winches and refused them entry. Four-Five primed a fragmentary cylinder grenade behind his waist and then bowled it through the door frame. A concussion roar broke apart the interior machinery and sent a long steel-corded rope screaming out of its moorings, into the primary shaft beyond. The hoist shed itself somehow kept erect but a torched thing in burning armour staggered out into the light. Shuddered in the brief cold. Then knelt collapsing, falling literally to pieces. The rest they found broken, pasted across the corrugated walling, in funerary dress now composed of ripped body sleeves and buckled plating.

They advanced through the mouth of the declination portal with care. HUD displays directed them to detected implosive chemical emissions. Every third meter was covered by a mine, stuck in ceiling, wall, or floor mounted under pebble refuse. Six-Three was ordered forward to defuse, under squadron cover. On the fourth device, another improvised model, Four-One’s E-11S twitched. Her shot snagged the other sniper down the long level, tossing them back, feet over burst skull. A riot-cone of bright tracer fire lanced back. Anjin grasped Six-Three by the back of their plate collar and hauled her into the cover of an ore hopper.

“Four-five,” He called up calmly, tracing a firing plan with eye motion across the tactical HUD screen. The trooper clicked confirmation

DT-1945 readied his Smart Rocket launcher, bracing just out of cover. Wrist-missiles slammed into depowered ore trolleys. One whisked brightly past Four-Five’s helm. He sighted the targeting scope, outlining four EI huddling behind a crude barricade hastily welded at the mouth of the far end of the level. His first rocket salvo singed out. A beat; shouted warnings, a panicked utterance in Mando’a. The rocket dove in through a part in the crossed support girders. Four-Five allowed a very small, tight smile as hard light erupted and shook the tunnel length.

“...Six-Three,” Anjin clapped her on the shoulder. She chirped a roger, resuming mine defusing. We could shoot out the IED’s from cover, he thought, I ought to. Yet if they’ve chained further charges drilled deeper into the walling and ceiling? The main level collapses and Moff Balfour is stuck excavating out a new passage. With the added threat of any explosives not yet discharged. No. I won’t give chance to Mandalorian guile.

Soon they were passing the ore access stopes, side-long tunnels bored into the main ore pocket. Further handfuls of armed Concord miners harried them at each tunnel mouth. Anjin’s E-11D accounted for four kills, and Six-Two’s DLT-19D slagged half a dozen. Fragmentation grenades slew, crippled, or forced the remained out of cover. Seven-Nine paused over one half-dead resister, planting his boot-treads against their racked rib cage, and emptied out their skull casing with a cool pistol bolt.

“Access ramp loops round three times, next sub-level’s at the end of the third loop,” Said Four-One, after tossing and rebounding a sensor grenade down the ramp-way. Anjin’s HUD coalesced a rough photon outline of taken sensory readings. “Power looks to have been cut too.”

“Pitch black down there,” Four-Five shrugged.

“Infra-red,” Anjin said, switching visor-mode. “Watch for strobe lamps and flash-bangs. Six-Three, Four-One, you’re on point.”

“Roger.”

They descended into jet darkness, stepping noiselessly, rifles at the ready.

Vilhelm Balfour

V
Balfour watched the holoscreen as the Snowtroopers darted from cover to cover, changing tactics from "run" to "hide" as they alternated their fire between the walkers and the snow trooper emplacements. Shots were traded, and it looked as if the Moff''s men had the upper hand, but then the battle became three dimensional.

Fething jetpacks.

"Command Aurek Squad to coordinate and begin triangulating fire on targets. Switch from semi-automatic fire to three-round burst. Ensure they stay mobile." Balfour commanded, and his comms officer sent out the order to Major Ballast. It wasn't quick enough however, and it took some time before the snow troopers adjusted.

Kriffing mandalorians. Balfour knew it was 'the cost of doing business', but he was hoping to escape with relatively few casualties. The Mandalorian's mobility wasn't something they were trained for.

"Any word from Zeta squad?" Balfour replied, deciding not to dwell on it and getting a status update on [member="Anjin Kent"].

"No sir, we've lost contact. Too much interference from the facility, they may be underground at this point." Officer Baera responded.

"Begin shuttling over an extraction squad, landing every three minutes. Lets get as much as we can." Balfour ordered. There was precious little time to waste.

Anjin Kent

A
Sub-level 2 was an example in shadow and hellfire. Sub-level 3 below was worse.

Fire teams, five warriors to a squadron, were laid in behind make-shift but virtually impenetrable cover: stacked, raw cuts of beskar ore. More impromptu mines were laced at the mouth of each entry portal and required comprehensive defusing before Zeta-1 could advance. Six-Three laboured flat on her stomach, practising what Pilot, Anjin, extorted as ‘Zen’. Her only immediate concern were the hasty packets of soggy det-plastics and rudimentary motion detection sensor plates. As Anjin said, there was no accounting for the eventual kill-shot. If it came, it came, and she would be gone and therefore, no further pain could ever touch her. If it did not, then she was still in the fight, in a position to bring hurt to their opponents. Either way, as a Death Trooper, she would win.

‘Death always wins’.

Zeta-Lead, Four-One, and Four-Five laid suppressing arcs over Six-Three’s prone form. Six-Two and Seven-Nine covered flanking charges up the ramp stairwell, plugging the corridor with fallen. Anjin directed concentrated fire, picking through each opposing squadron one body at a time. Mandalorian weakness laid in armour deficiency; a common set of openings all but the most massive and impenetrable, powered models sported. The seams between the plating, the elbows, shoulders, thighs and hips, occasionally the ankles and more rarely the throat. Anjin sliced a shot through a shooter’s shoulder socket, putting a follow up round through their face plate when they toppled out of cover, crying out. He exhaled, cocked the sights by a degree, killed the fighter just behind them that had ducked up to line their own shot. The T-plate shattered apart, and leaking, steamy viscera puddled into the dust.

The darkness provided no one with advantage. Zeta Squad toggled infra-red and heat vision modes, the Mandalorians likewise. Heat from spent blaster fire warmed the long corridors. A cooked frag canister came whistling forward. Anjin only grunted: Four-One had seen it, had already adjusted her aim, and smashed the grenade with a single blast-bolt.

“...That’s it!” Six-Three called from metre ahead.

“Four-One, Four-Five, advance and cover! Six-Three, join in! Six-Two, Seven-Nine, collapse on our back!”

Hai!

They took Sub-Level 2, bottling the defenders back with an inexorable procession. Fighters stuck in the neighbouring stope access passages, with no exit but forward into Zeta Squad’s guns, mounted final charges. And were slain, smashed off their boots, punished with precision blaster fires. The last battler was an elder warrior bearing scorched evergreen plate and the sigils of Clan Munin. They levelled a challenge to Zeta-Lead, drawing a honed beskad.

Zeta Lead snapped a bolt through their throat, and replaced the now-spent magazine. “Six-Two?”

“Clear to the ramp, sir. One more sub-level.”

“The last?” Anjin paused.

“Yes, sir.”

“They’ll be holed and hardened,” Four-One said, kneeling. She was ejecting a warped long-rifle barrel from her E-11S, fitting on a spare replacement kept stored across her shoulder pack. “And suicidal, sir.”

“Desperate, too, sir.” Seven-Nine added.

They’ll force a purchase of their ore with blood, Anjin knew. It’s only honourable. If we are cut down and they mount a counter-assault, our armour beyond the minehead will destroy them. But their names will be cleared, and none will say they wavered in defending their people’s inheritance. ...If we let them.

“Six-Three, Seven-Nine, gather any IED’s not spent in the fight and ready a detonation pack.”

“Sir?” Seven-Nine queried.

“We’re sealing them in and returning to the main floor.” Anjin directed them with pupil-gestures to their taken readings of the mining sub-structures. A long well bore lead from the bottom ore feed up, up to the outside headframe attached to the hoist house. The second point of entry, besides the bottom pockets and sub-level 3, was a hopper feed cut into the walling of the first floor. “If they’ve already collapsed their access to the main shaft, they’ll suffocate. If not, they’ll either have to waist munitions clearing the access ramp, or mount the main shaft line and try for the surface. We’re we’ll be waiting. Discharge your mission, Zeta.”

“Sir!”

-

“Hmn?” ST-8099 paused setting up the heavy E-web.

A thunder-clap had shivered down the throat of the main passage, dislodging grit and dust from between the support girders. Bass echoes, sounding of gnashing granite and broken stone, echoed up from the guarded access ramp. Further clouds of sand and dirt gusted up in a cough of hot air. All present troops had stopped activity and raised their weaponry expectantly. After a pregnant moment, an officer called for calm.

“I want two volunteer squads posted to the ramp, immediately. Everyone else, continuing with assigned tasks. Moff Balfour expects us to be away with our take before the solar cycle has ticked over!”

Vilhelm Balfour

V
"Reports of loads of Beskar coming back to the surface sir." Comms officer Baera reported.

"Excellent. Continue the shuttle pattern and keep me informed on the tonnage allocated." Balfour replied, vision ever affixed on the holoscreen. He'd lost a personal walker to the Mandalorians, and more snow troopers. The warriors of Concordia were loose and lacking discipline, but their persistence was impressive. Their size and maneuverability made things difficult, aerial combat was a distinct advantage to regular infantry, but too small to deal with by starfighter effectively. Not to mention how poor TIE's performed in atmosphere.

"Send a message to Zeta Squad that they are to converge with the snowtrooper force as soon as they believe the mine is secure. And get me a direct line to Lieutenant Kent." Balfour ordered before putting on a headset.

"Yes sir." Baera replied, and began to attempt to patch in [member="Anjin Kent"], telling him Zeta Squad's instructions and then patching him in to the Moff directly.

Anjin Kent

A
Zeta Squad emerged up the access ramp to join with the living. A host of unnerved Snowtrooper riflemen paused, guarding the ramp mouth from potential Mandalorian reprisals; tall shadows in scarab-black casement and fitted body sleeves, weighed with weaponry and their special kit, harnesses gently swaying. A layered patina of dust blunted their plate gloss finish, lending them a pale lambency. They passed through the ranks of camouflaged and gowned winter operators, approaching a row of rusted ore hoppers cut into the side of the main level walling.

“...Trooper?” A captain from the command tent outside the mine head portal crept up.

Anjin held a hand for silence. He requisitioned a small flight drone, piloting it down the hopper shaft at ten minute intervals. Through his armour-system link-in, he saw the ghostly notched shaft walls down to a rubble strewn foundation. The stone and surrounding ores blunted sensor readings beyond immediate photon, thermal, and acoustic returns. DT-1600 called a ST outfit labouring with cutting torches over and directed their sergeant. A check every five minutes, keep ordnance on hand, if anything shifted they had leave to grenade the burrow and pour down fire until the counter-assault petered out.

“If nothing comes out?” The sergeant asked.

“Then nothing comes out. Zeta Lead,” Anjin keyed into the pinging frequency.

“Zeta Lead, you’ve new orders. Once Mine Head Aurek is deemed secure, you’re to converge with our snowtrooper units tackling mercenaries to the south-east.”

“Zeta Lead copies, we’ll muster out immediately.”

“Hold, Lead. Moff Balfour requests you for a communique.”

“...Zeta Lead copies, Castle Actual, patch us through,” Anjin listened to the slight pitch variance as the channel switched over. “...Sir, copy?”

Vilhelm Balfour

V
"Copy Zeta Lead this is Castle Actual." Balfour replied. "Your orders are to join the Mobile Artillery and Snowtrooper squads in eliminating the Mandalorian threat. The remaining stranglers seem to be their elite. They've taken down one of the personal walkers and another is sustaining heavy damage. The snow troopers aren't able to deal with them. I find this impressive Zeta Lead."

Balfour took a breath.

"I need one of them captured alive and intact, fit for interrogation, processing, and service. I need the target to be one with enough knowledge and leadership to instill these these tactics into at least a company, if not a battalion. Their honor-based culture might allow him to be captured if he loses a duel. Otherwise, should you need any equipment or reinforcements I'll need to know now to ensure they get to you on time. Understood?"

[member="Anjin Kent"]

Anjin Kent

A
“Understood. Zeta copies, Castle Actual. Out.” Per unspoken protocol, he waited for the Moff’s channel to silence before cutting his end of the comm-line. DT-1600 addressed his squadron, advancing over to their parked 74-Zs in a corner of the razed tool yard. Officers and their personal staff busied under a raised environmental awning, coordinating the ore extraction effort. Simultaneously directing troop efforts six clicks down the snowy escarpment pulling away from the central mine head. Power came supplied through a wall of banked, interlocked Tibanna/Solar hybrid generators. Anjin cursorily watched a standard 501st commando detachment surround the tent perimeter. Zeta Squad sensed a chilly acknowledgement.

The ladder, Anjin knew. Imperial Special Forces were already a selective breed and competition to advance was as immense as it was carefully subdued. Rumination for later. He concentrated on the ‘Mandalorian Problem’: enemy infantry with superior mobility, vertical manoeuvrability, familiarity with terrain, and courage. Their inventory consisted of their rifles and the teeth of their heavier rocket ordnance and Six-Two’s thunderous DLT-19D. Along with their fragile 74-Z speeder bikes. An errant shot could clip through a control vane and that would be it, Anjin knew. Neural implants sped his thought process. Zeta-Lead mounted one of the speeders and prepped for take off. Zeta Squad followed wordlessly, powering up the undercarriage repulsor engines, priming afterburner fuel-injectors.

“Six-Three, Four-Five, I want you airborne. Provide a circuit around the battle zone, force the Mandalorians out of the air as you see them. Four-One, I want you for targets of opportunity. Keep on your speeder, pick off stragglers, harry them but don’t pause for long. Six-Two, Seven-Nine, with me. Heavy cross-fire. We’ll clench them in,” Anjin emphasized, slapping his gloved palms together. “And coordinate with forces on hand. Questions?”

“Command wants one left, sir. Unsullied.”

“We will discover someone suitable,” Anjin said. He throttled the acceleration, one foot arched into the pedal brake. He tongued a confirmation chirp over their comm-band, sped off the next moment, pluming snow, pebble, and earth in his wake draft. Zeta Squad surged into formation after. A shrieking V, they plunged headlong into the South-East wastes. Towards a snowy fog of war, toward the shadows of tall walkers hunting over the pine forest canopies.

Vilhelm Balfour

V
When [member="Anjin Kent"] would arrive at the battlesite there would be just over a dozen Mandalorians left. Not some giant force, but they fought like demons, and each of their armor showed it had taken a hit or two. A second one of the AT-DP personal walkers had fallen to the ground, joints taken down my heavy fire. Each mandalorian had their personalized armor, the legendary beskar'gam. Some adorned their helmets with spikes, a nod to Zabrak brothers, while others held a sleek design, with a single antenna protruding on a side. Notably most of them were firing with pistols rather than rifles now, having chucked away a weapon with spent ammunition.

"Zeta Lead this is Castle Actual. Potential bogeys are beginning to drop of hyperspace. Anticipated twenty minutes until contact. Extraction team will meet you in fifteen." Comms officer Baera reached DT-1600 as Moff Balfour mobilized ships into potential defensive positions. Snowtroopers at the mine moved as fast as their equipment would let them, getting the last of the Beskar shipments out of the mine and on the way to Balfour's transports.

Anjin Kent

A
The snowtroop infantry racing to stay in pace with the remaining AT-DP’s thought the jetpacks an evil. The Mandalorians mocked them, bursting from cover with a jet-scream like an opening ramjet nozzle, hosing indiscriminate blaster and rocket fire. When they dropped, it was always at an angle that discretely placed a half dozen thickly set pine trunks between themselves and the still advancing Imperial column. ‘Cold-bombs’, special plastique mines that required little besides a brief battery spark to detonate, were laid at randomized, lethal intervals in the snow drifts. Some not triggered by plodding troop were remotely signalled, burying any infantry unlucky enough to be downhill from the blast to the waist with packed ice. Mortar positions were erected, fired twice, upended and moved ahead of the Imperial advance in timed intervals. If the Imperial infantry and armour company could be delayed, through attrition or even flinched into pausing, it’d buy time for a relief force.

Then, the consolidated soldiery of the New Mandalorian Army would show them true slaughter.

One jetpack fighter, dressed in a garish menagerie of family colours, leaped and arced high over a copse of burning pines. DT-1963 depressed a control yoke stud; a three-second canon burst led before the Mando, shearing off their helmet, arm, and cooking off their fuel pack. Six-Three and DT-1945 eased off their bike throttles, taking their speeders on a high crisscrossing circuit over the patchy forest canopy. A pair of fighters jetted up and clung gamely to sagging pine tops, trying to wrestle with pistols and wildly swaying timber. Six-Three dashed close, drawing fire, Four-Five following behind on a parallel that chased fire into the enemy’s unguarded spines.

They chased the enemy to the ground. Four-One, a shimmer of black phantom armour a hundred meters up the gradated forest tract, shot one Mandalorian through their hip. They dropped a primed fragmentary grenade across their stomach, reducing themselves and a second jetpack fighter to a screen of misty gore. She shouldered her E-11S, drove fast for the next vantage, and killed again.

Zeta-Lead, Six-Two, and Seven-Nine assaulted from the north-west. The heavy DLT-19D flared in Six-Two’s gloves, sawed another pair of Mandalorians through at the waistline. Seven-Nine paused with the weight of his Smart Rocket launcher, painting a trio abandoning their mortar cannon. Fired. The rocket spun free, whistled through a perfect gap in the pine boughs, hurtled into their flying midst and obliterated the trio mid-air. Anjin coolly picked off a shooter mounted on a hunting blind thirty metres ahead and turned the muzzle on a single fighter holding desperately to cover behind a moss-haired boulder.

“DP-3, check fire, hold pattern,” He prompted over the command link.

“Sir.”

The walker’s solitary heavy chin-gun quieted and cooled. Snowtroopers paused in advancing and dug in to the snow hills, propping up their own weighty armaments, uneasy with the sudden, wintry stillness.

The Mandalorians had engaged the company in running firefights for the better part of a long, torturous hour. One hundred blooded Mando’ade, vetted for service, integrity, and loyalty to the clan writ of Vizla, reduced to a dozen unfortunate stragglers. In the change of a handful of short, ruinous minutes, Squadron Zeta-1 had further strangled their numbers to a single captain. When the DP’s cannon paused, silence like the season’s snow fall descended over the tight clearing. The last jetpacker turned at an inexplicable sense of close company.

Anjin stood near, ten paces away. Disarmed, with the exception of a long commando fighting knife in his grip. The tall spectres of Zeta-One hemmed in at the clearing’s stony edge. He toed a line through the snow. And waited.

“...Name?” The Mandalorian growled through his face-plate. He brusquely unbuckled a set of hip-holsters, piled them with a spent verpine-carbine, and empty ammunition bandoleers.

“You do not need it,” Said Anjin.

“Very well... Nemo. Nemo, I am Horus,” The Mandalorian replied. He drew a stout beskad sword from a shoulder catch.

The duel was short and brutal. Both Anjin and Horus drove forward to take the initiative, meeting in a flurry of kicked snow. Horus’ reach extended with the shorts-sword over Anjin’s combat knife, and he levered it with furious energy. It nicked into the Death Trooper’s forearm guards; its vicious edge, keen like ice, bit through to the skin. Horus stepped away, feinted with a dozen false slides through the air, testing his foe’s guard for the desired opening.

Anjin seemingly gave it to him: a bare angle for his throat. The Captain jousted forward; pierced empty air. Black armour and tinted visor plasteel filled his vision when he turned. A knuckle-plate vibro-shiv extended from Anjin’s left hand and sliced through the side of Horus’ throat, severing the carotid. The blood induced urgency, induced clumsiness. He parried a stroke to his skull, grappled in and locked the length of Horus’ fighting arm until the bones in the hand, wrist, and elbow cinched and broke. Anjin ducked a left-hook, cutting an inch deep furrow across the Mandalorian’s waist that worried more blood. He broke Horus’ knee with a curt stomp, jabbing into the sciatic nerve running up his thigh and groin, and threw his whole weight over his shoulder with a practiced Stava flip.

He knelt and tugged Horus’ still good hand as it clapped at the running carotid sever and snapped the finger bones to pieces with a clench.

“G-Ghh...!”

“See to him,” Anjin breathed. He rose, after wiping his gloves in the snow. Four-One had been poised with a volunteer Troop medic and were kneeling down, servicing combat medicine to obvious wounds.. A small host of ST surrounded the beaten Horus, rifles set to high stun.

Six-Two regarded Zeta Lead’s lashed vambrace. “Even fleas bite, sir.”

“He knew his fighting craft, Six-Two. Wanted to die victorious.” Delta Lead took a small palm-canister from recessed panel in his backpack. Sprayed a thimble of synth-wrap over the clean wound.

“You were better, sir.”

“Yes.” Anjin banished the phantom of a smile behind his helm. He plucked his tongue at the chin-mount controls, and opened a channel to orbital command. “Zeta Lead, Castle Actual. Local elements suppressed. Inform Moff Balfour we’ve his prize, copy. Over.”

Vilhelm Balfour

V
"Sir, Zeta Lead reports the mandalorian has been captured." Comms Officer Baera declared.

"Excellent. And the Beskar Shipments?" Balfour asked.

"Loaded and ready for transport sir." Baera replied.

"Begin evacuating all personal, have Zeta squad shuttled over to our ship directly. Patch me to Dr. Kantor." Balfour ordered. A ring went off in his ear.

"Dr. Kantor reporting." The voice served as additional confirmation he was patched in.

"Doctor I need a room prepped on the double for a hostile subject. Interrogation and medical assistance necessary. I will be headed there immediately." Balfour ordered.

"I will prep room 14-Desh for your arrival sir." Kantor replied.

"Excellent. Castle Actual out." Balfour ended the communication with Kantor, then turned to Baera. "Send a message to Zeta Lead ([member="Anjin Kent"]) that he is to escort the prisoner to chamber 14-Desh upon arrival." He turned to the ship's captain. "Captain, you have the bridge. Get us to hyperspace and headed out of here."

Balfour made his way to the interrogation chamber. It was time to have a little chat.

Anjin Kent

A
Zeta-1 Squadron, their charge, and a recruited circle of combat medics extracted aboard the Brasil. A T4A Lambda-Class model, requisitioned from an on-site officer, amidst protest. The craft was a reserved vehicle, prepped for their travel and not a designated hospital ship. DT-1600 cajoled them into cooperation with a curt, unnerving gaze. The officer lost nerve and blathered about ISB and Naval protocol incompatibility. Zeta-1 loaded Horus aboard on his hover-stretcher, and soon left Concordia for high zero-g anchor.

The Mandalorian was monitored, kept placid with pain medication and a powerful relaxant that took the edge off both pain and will. Four-Five kept a seat near his strapped skull, SE-14r trained to a point on Horus’ skull. The right arm and knee were settled in locked splints, wrapped in inflatable casts. A mounted fluid-pack trailed an intravenous line just under the collarbone. One medic trooper kept watch on physical vitals, through positioned electrodes connected to a heavier field datapad.

“Do you think the Moff will protest his condition, sir?” Asked Four-One.

“Unfortunately, he didn’t communicate specifics beyond the objective,” Anjin sighed. The wound in his forearm ached despite the synth wrap. He intended to order a complete restorative as soon as Zeta-1 were dismissed. Then hand-to-hand fighting drills afterward. Helmet feed recordings would tell a great deal about the Mandalorian approach to CQC; Anjin intended to add it to their already exhausting studies.

“If this one costs us a demotion - -” Six-Three growled.

“Then it costs us. And that is the end of it,” Anjin spoke. Not sharply, but with a clear tone all of Zeta Squad recognized. No further discussion; know your duty.

They listened to the folding pectoral wings close up with the central stationary wing. Next moment, that momentary free-float in their bowels, the Iudicatrix’s gravity plating briefly conflicting with the Brasil’s. The shuttle adjusted, extended landing struts, and settled onto the floor of the bright, steely hangar.

A security complement of trooper marines waited at the end of the debarkation ramp. Zeta-1 formed round the prone Mandalorian, stepping with the medics pulling his hover-gurney. Sound and broadcast echoed about the hangar space; personnel trundled rearmament for loading into the nest of TIE/INs docked overhead, running power trunk-lines into receptacle. A uniformed petty officer regarded Horus decked thickly in cast and bandage.

“Troopers. He looks like hell.”

“Sir.” Anjin afforded the officer a customary nod.

“Hmn. Will he recover?”

“Aye, sir.”

“Governor Balfour... requests Zeta Squadrons presence in escorting his prisoner for medical examination and detention. Report to the hospital block, immediately.”

What is that tone, Anjin wondered. Fright? Contempt? Does the mask of the Death Troop resonate too poorly? No matter. DT-1600 gargled over the vocal comm-scrambler. Zeta Squad enfolded round the gurney and the attendant medics, E-11Ds readied, cycled to safety-off. They disappeared round the corner of a far entry/exit corridor.

“...Petty Officer Daley. Command Deck, please inform the Governor the Death Troop have arrived. And are escorting his prisoner to ship medical.”

Vilhelm Balfour

V
[member="Anjin Kent"]

Balfour made his way to medical chamber 14-Desh. By the time Balfour arrived Doctor Kantor, [member="Anjin Kent"] and his squad had already arrived. The Mandalorian captive had already been strapped down. Kantor was stripping away his armor, preparing to treat elements of his wounds. The fight had been brutal to him, cuts to his throat, waist, and a blow to his knees. It wasn't perfect condition, but it nothing he couldn't recover from. If the new jetpack-based corp worked out a little extra medical bills would easily provide their value.

"Wake him." Balfour ordered.

"A premature waking could disturb his recovery sir." Kantor objected.

"I trust your skill and ability will be able to compensate then. Wake him." Balfour ordered. The doctor let out a small sigh, and then woke him.

"Unhhhh." The Mandalorian awoke, barely. His expression wasn't as much as reason or protest as much of a reaction to pain.

"Name and Rank officer." Balfour demanded.

"Major Horus Vizsla." He replied, blood choking through his speech. Most governments had rules about what prisoners could disclose. Name and Rank was usually a safe bet.

"Well Horus. I have an offer for you. You are going to have a company, and teach people to fight as you have in the past. You will be given a commission, and serve under the Galactic Empire." Wilhelm replied. The man tried to fight, but lacked the strength.

"You'll not make me turn areutii." The man fought a bloody cough.

"I won't. But Doctor Kantor here can be very, very persuasive. Let him know when you're ready to see me." Balfour replied, and began to leave, trusting Kantor to attend to his duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom