Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Witchbane Shields

Status
Not open for further replies.
cb55437f57da5330300c73da6d54396c--skyrim-game-skyrim-mods.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a new and interesting weapons
Image Source: Skyrim
Canon Link: NA
Primary Source: NA

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: House Larraq Plate and Blade
Model: Aran'aliik Gaid "Guard Sigil Plate" (also known as Witchbane Shields)
Affiliation: Closed Market
Modularity: Moderate (Size, shape, style, exc)
Production: Semi-unique
Material: Veshok Wood, Ori'ramikad Resin, Mandalorian Steel, Counterspell Runes

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Buckler, Shield, or Large Shield
Size: Small, Medium, or Large
Shape: Round, Triangular, Square, or Diamond
Style: Buckler, Targe, Rondache, Bossed (Viking), Aspis, Bouche, Heater, Kite, or Pavise
Weight: Light
Resistances: High
  • Blasters: High
  • (Melee) Kinetic: High
  • (Ranged) Kinetic: Average
  • Lightsabers: Average
  • Other: Very High protection against force attacks
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Bladed Edge
  • Can reflect force based 'magic' attacks (oftentimes back upon the attacker)
  • Can withstand several glancing blows or a few direct hits from a Lightsaber
Strengths:
  • Oddly durable for a 'basic' wood and metal shield
  • Unaffected by anti-electronic attacks
  • Cannot suffer mechanical failure
  • Withstands blasters nicely (also arrows and crossbow bolts)
  • Holds up nicely against physical blades
  • Can take a few whacks from a Lightsaber
  • Reflects tangible force attacks
Weaknesses:
  • Wood requires regular treatments, or will rot away
  • Doesn't hold up well against bullets
  • Can only take a few whacks from a Lightsaber
  • Exposed wooden sections are the most vulnerable to thrusting attacks
  • Exposed wooden sections are the most vulnerable to Lightsaber strikes
  • Must be pointed at the spellcaster to reflect attacks
  • Does not protect against mind-targeting force attacks
  • Does not reflect force attacks while within a force negation field
DESCRIPTION

More widely known as Witchbane Shields, Aran'aliik Gaid are a recent innovation to come from Mandalore. Though visually quite beautiful, these shields are indistinguishable from any other wood-based combat shield when taken at face value and would typically be considered highly antiquated on most battlefields. Its construction relies primarily upon dense cedar wood for its strength, using the slow growing Veshok trees of Mandalore for this purpose. This wood is treated with a blaster resistant varnish made from the resin of the Ori'ramikad tree. For additional strength, thin bands of Mandalorian Steel reinforce the edges of these shields, the center of the shield, and form a distinct pattern throughout the shield's face. Engraved upon these metal bands are intricate runic patterns.

Deceptively durable thanks to the quality of material used in its construction, these shields can withstand a great deal more punishment than one would expect. And while these shields cannot stand up to protracted battles with lightsaber wielding force users, the advanced properties of Aran'aliik Gaid shields more than make up for that limitation. Thanks to the enchanted engravings upon the shield's metal banding, the entire shield functions as an over-sized Talisman of Counterspell (an enchantment originating with the Dathomiri Witches), and can both block and reflect force based attacks hurled at the wielder of these shields. With practice, an individual can even angle the shield to direct these reflected attacks back upon the one who cast them.

While the metal banding can withstand several glancing blows (or a few direct hits) from a lightsaber before failing, the varnished wood of the shield is much less capable of withstanding such an assault. Direct lightsaber hits (usually thrusting attacks) to the wooden sections of these shields will be quick to put holes in a wielder's defenses. In spite of this, Aran'aliik Gaid are still a much sought after weapon for Mando'ade intending to get close and personal to hostile sorcerers.

Hello, I'll be your judge this evening. Please tell me if you have any questions.

Mishka Larraq said:
I need an actual link here.

Mishka Larraq said:
Affiliation: Restricted Sales
Change to Closed-Market please.

Mishka Larraq said:
lassification: Buckler, Shield, or Large ShieldSize: Small, Medium, or LargeShape: Round, Triangular, Square, or DiamondStyle: Buckler, Targe, Rondache, Bossed (Viking), Aspis, Bouche, Heater, Kite, or Pavise
So I understand your modularity is set to moderate. However, I need a static shield to base this submission off of. You're pretty much describing every shield there is, so please choose one shield design for this submission.

Mishka Larraq said:
Weaknesses:
So, I see one, maybe two weaknesses here that are actually exploitable in combat. Considering the stats of the resistances, I need another good weakness and one of your ratings for resistances to be lowered.

Mishka Larraq said:
Weight: Light
What makes this light?

[member="Mishka Larraq"]

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Adron Malvern said:
What makes this light?

It's made of wood...

For the record though, Mandalorian Steel is a lightweight metal. I could make this out of a solid brick of Mandalorian Steel and it would still classify as light.

Added the link and changed it to Closed Market.

Adron Malvern said:
So I understand your modularity is set to moderate. However, I need a static shield to base this submission off of. You're pretty much describing every shield there is, so please choose one shield design for this submission.
I don't understand what you're looking for or why. This product can be made into any size or style of shield. It's weight and properties are not changed significantly between any of these relative variant. A buckler would be lighter than a medium shield and a tower shield would be heavier than a medium shield. The "weight" is reflective of how these object weight compared to other similarly sized objects. Aka, they're all made of wood.

Additionally, the size and shape of the shield would not effect the durability of the shield or it's resistances or it's ability to reflect "magic". The only variation that changes with size and shape is surface area and how cumbersome the shield is to wield.

I am probably still misunderstanding you on this, but for sake of argument, if it helps you understand the concept, just consider the version in the image as the base model.

Adron Malvern said:
So, I see one, maybe two weaknesses here that are actually exploitable in combat. Considering the stats of the resistances, I need another good weakness and one of your ratings for resistances to be lowered.

There are currently four practical weaknesses that can be exploited in combat.

[member="Adron Malvern"]

It occurred to me that two of the more obvious weaknesses to the design (intentional weaknesses that are part of why this is made of wood to begin with) we're not actually spelled out in the weaknesses section. This was an oversight on my part and have been added to the other four exploitable weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom