Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Wire Rot

The young woman had been in and out of the business for a while now. Just now getting back into the swing of things, she life had changed. Aren had potentially found a man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with but there were still some stepping stones to get over before that could happen.

Money was not one of those issues, but now and then, she felt the need to still take on jobs. So when a new and upcoming gal reached out to her, she issued an invitation for her to visit her on Denon.

The tower she lived in had once belonged to her Master. When he died, the property had gone onto the next person, but her floor remained hers. All in all, things were going well for her, and for the moment, she was happy.

Getting her flat ready for her guest, she started picking things up and in doing some cleaning, found some items that belonged to Omen. Smiling a little as she hid them in her bedroom, he would just have to come to her and get them. Closing the door, she walked back to the main living area and decided it was clean enough.

When Samnai arrived, she was greeted by two droids. One of them scanned her to make sure she was not carrying any weapons that might harm Aren. After that, they guided her to an elevator and practically stood like sentinels as they traveled to their destination.

Her floor was private and a passcode was needed to gain access. Having given the droids this code, one of them entered it to reveal where she lived.

"Have a pleasant stay, Miss Rouber."

If she didn't move off of the elevator, one of them would nudge her a bit to get her moving. Once Samnai was off, the doors would close behind her.

In front of her would be a room that was quite bright. One side was all windows, the rest looked airy and open. On the closer side was an empty table where she could set what she was carrying down on it. At the other end were a few pieces of furniture to sit on a couple of drinks waiting for the two of them.

"Come on in, Miss Rouber. My name is Aren D'Shade."

A cheerful voice welcomed her from the other side of the room and Aren stood up from her place on the couch to walk over to Samnai.

"Set your stuff down there and we can get talking."

8005ac0c9feceb977027876d5db792ee.png

Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber

While Samnai had been to plenty of homes before, few had been as...homely as this.

Most were either luxurious, soulless mansions, barely lived-in, or cold, broken homes that are enshrouded in wretched despair and poverty. This is the first time she had been in a place sitting in the middle, and she glanced at her surroundings with a careful eye as she sat down before the woman. On her right sleeve, wrapped tightly to her arm, was a ceramic knife. Not very sharp, but enough if she gets desperate. Samnai used her left hand for the handshake.

She looks into the woman's—Aren D’Shade, she had introduced—hazel eyes as she says, "Nice to meet you, Miss D'Shade. I heard you have a job for me."

Aren smiles. “I do. I have heard of your skills with many things, particularly slicing. I have a slightly different job for you, though.”

As she spoke, a droid entered the room, carrying a tray with a black cover on. Huh, interesting. The droid put down the tray on the table and retreated back.

Aren slipped off the cover. Samnai’s first impression of the thing was that this was taken from some excavation. It looked ancient, like something she would expect to see at a museum, taken from a land long forgotten.

Samnai had no idea what this was. This is obviously a clockwork piece, but other than that she’s lost.

Job’s a job, though, and she tries her best to inspect this thing. Given the weird energy oozing off this thing, though, she keeps her distance. She’s not Force sensitive, but even she knows to be wary of this piece.

Aren continues, “I found this item a few years back. Not even it’s previous owner could crack it. I have tried, but nothing makes it budge. Maybe this used to be part of some machinery, but now it’s long out-of-date.”

Samnia raises an eyebrow. Hm. This is a difficult one. Unknown design, ancient, weird aura.

She has done tougher jobs before, however, and she will take up this one too.

Samnai raises her eyes to Aren’s hazel ones. “Tell me everything you found so far.”

The unspoken question Samnai asked was going to be a slippery slope if she wasn't careful. When Aren had found this, she had been trying to break in and steal any technological wonders Adrian had. This act had opened so many doors for her and she allowed them to remain that way. However, she had cut all her ties with the Sith Empire they had been in together.

Pausing for just a moment, she took a stip of the drink in front of her. Motioning to the other glass, she actually did not expect the other woman to accept the offer but it was there.

"It's just juice. I promise nothing in it will harm you unless you have an allergy to it."

As for what she had found out about the device...it wasn't much. She also wondered just how much she should tell her guest. Setting the cup down, she pulled out her ever-trusty datapad. An item that had certainly been around the block a few times but still worked. If Aren wanted a new one, she could easily just go get one. She liked this one though.

"Here's what I have."

Again, it was not much and she left out any comments about it possibly being of Sith origin.

After a couple of near-death incidents involving poison, Samnai doesn’t accept any drinks anymore. Just for politeness, though, she takes the juice but doesn’t drink, twirling the glass in her hands.

Aren gives her a datapad. She looks down at the diagram of the artifact in front of her, with the information at the top. As expected, it isn’t much, mostly confirming her observations. Not a great idea to handle bare-handed, too. Seems like they would need to start from the beginning.

First things first, they need to take it apart. Given the...energy coming from it, however, she quickly shelves the idea as fast as it comes. Instead, Samnai decides to feel out the outside first, see what she’s dealing with.

She puts down her full glass and says to Aren, “May I touch it?”

Finishing off the small glass of juice EL had brought in, she set it down on the table. Giving Samnai the time she needed to look over the datapad when she asked if she could touch it, Aren picked it up and held it out to her. If she took this as a sign of it being safe to touch, then she didn't know what would be.

Handing the ancient piece to the other woman, she nodded. As she looked at it, she might notice there were clear signs that somebody had both recently and in the not-so-distant past attempted to take it apart. That had also been noted on the datapad.

"In all the years I've had it...it just sat there, done nothing. I'm wondering if it is a piece of something larger."

When she had first laid her eyes on it, that was the thought that crossed her mind. Finding out any additional information about it would only help her to figure out what it was.

Seeing Aren confidently hand her the thing, Samnai first delicately holds it in her hands, like it’s made of glass. After a while, she became more confident and began to turn it around.

It is admittedly rather pretty, despite it’s clear marks and rusted-over surface. Shaped like a cube, it contains strange, clockwork-like designs etched onto it’s sides, with darkened marks marring it. They look like scars, almost. It’s black in colour, though when Samnai brings it up to the soft light of the room, a very dark shade of purple seems to appear.

It doesn’t have an opening or lock on it—or one she can see, at least—so maybe it’s like a puzzle piece? She herself had never played with one, though she had often seen it in the hands of some rich child or their equally rich guardians. Putting pressure on the sides with her hands—very gently, mind you—brings no results. Better not overdo it, given the result would probably be the marks that Samnai can see.

She traces the circular, raised designs. Small points dot the cube, at seemingly random places. The clockwork design is a slightly lighter colour, distinguishable from the rest of the piece even from a distance. They seem rather...ornamental, but they probably have a use.

Just in case, Samnai lightly shakes it, not actually expecting anything to happen. The very soft, almost unheard chime from the cube proves her wrong.

Aren D'Shade Aren D'Shade

Last edited:
"What is your opinion of it?"

Such a simple question to a difficult item. Aren had tried many things to get it open. Both physical and with the Force. So far, nothing had come from any of it.

"I honestly wonder if it is a piece of something larger. That's why it doesn't appear to work or do anything."

Taking a sip of the juice, she had refilled it while Sam did her observations of the mysterious device. One of the first things she had thought of was the suggestion she had just made. She and her former Master has done a lot of research but in the end, they were still just as stumped about what it did. Unfortunately, Adrian had died and could no longer express interest in it.

Setting the glass down, she looked at Sam for what her thoughts were.

A piece of something else? That could be possible, now that Samnai has it closer in her hands. Some parts certainly look like they're made to fit in with another, similar part.

She says, “Yes, that could be it. It has places indicating it.”

True to what she said, some cut-off inscriptions and circular diagrams can be seen on the object.

"Exactly."

The two women together might be able to figure out what the device was but Aren did not think so or even expect that to happen. Perhaps the face Samnai couldn't use the Force might help as well. However, the former Sith had done as much she could do already. With the Force, without the Force, running experiments, and various other actions. One thing she had done was have a non Force user use it. Hoping that might have been the key, she was only a little disappointed it didn't work.

Picking up the datapad, she started taking a few notes on it.

"Do you have anything else to add to this?"

No, I guess we won’t know until we find another piece.”

After saying this, Samnai puts down the piece with the same delicacy as before.

She frowns at the artifact, burning a hole in it with her stare, as if it could help her see through it’s mysteries.

“Where will we find the other parts, though? I have never seen something quite like this before, it’s very unique.”

Since Aren had been keeping her former affiliation secret and hidden from her new companions, she decided to continue doing that. Some information could be shared though.

"The former owner picked up some items on archaeology expeditions and others at auctions. So maybe if we can find out where he picked this one up, we can maybe question others that were present."

The problem was...if Samnai learned this owner had been a Sith, then it might send her running and Aren would be back to square one. Time would tell if they could even learn anything new about it.

Samnai nods. “Yes, that may give us something.”

Still, she could not help but feel as if this seemingly normal woman was hiding something from her. Her instincts have never betrayed her, so she decides to keep an eye on Aren while they go about solving this mystery.

She says, “So, where do you want to start?”

It wasn't like Samnai would easily be able to figure out much about her due to all the work she had put in erasing her history. Aren was confident in that. What did it matter that the former owner had been a Sith Lord? Even that aspect had been hidden. Just not as much as her role in things.

Picking up the datapad, Aren pressed on it a few times and pulled up the known history of the item.

"It was found on an archeology dig on Korriban. There's an energy that clings to it but the design is unknown and is far older than the area it was found in."

Letting out a sigh, she handed Samnai the datapad to get any other information she hadn't included in her statement. And that was not much. In the notes, it only stated energy and not that it was dark.

Samnai has heard of Korriban, though never visited it. Filled with terrible creatures and the most inhospitable environment, it’s also the birthplace of the Sith, which downgrades it’s favorability by at least ten points to most people.

This artifact must have been excavated in perilous conditions. Her suspicions that this has energy clinging to it is confirmed, but exactly what sort befuddles her. The growing suspicion that it’s related to the Force is wiggling in the back of her mind.

It probably has to do something with what Aren is hiding, though. Samnai doesn’t regret being a Non-Force user, but at times like this she wishes she had at least a little bit of it to help her along.

“Since it was found on Korriban, it’s possible there are more parts left there.” After looking at the notes for a while, she off-handedly comments, “Do you know what sort of energy it is? It must be very strong, even I can feel it.”

Pretty much without any thought of what the opinion of Samnai might be, she started in on something of a lecture.

"Korriban has a very long history. Mainly known about it is that it was where the Sith religion started but it is also where the Sith species is from. Now when the record indicates it doesn't have any known Sith markings...does that mean the religion or people? I've never been there myself to know that answer."

Her statement did not give away any of her past dealings with the Sith in any manner and what information she had given was easily found in any database or holonet search.

"Since it came from Korriban, then we are probably safe to assume the energy is of a dark orientation. However, I've never seen the item display any tendencies in either direction. There is always a chance there are more parts laying around but do you really want to go there to find them?"

Samnai doesn’t mind Aren’s impromptu pseudo-lesson, any information is useful information and she doesn’t have much of it in her hands, if at all.

"Korriban has a very long history. Mainly known about it is that it was where the Sith religion started but it is also where the Sith species is from. Now when the record indicates it doesn't have any known Sith markings...does that mean the religion or people? I've never been there myself to know that answer."

“Maybe both?” she muses, looking over the datapad. The Siths were very devout people, apparently.

"Since it came from Korriban, then we are probably safe to assume the energy is of a dark orientation. However, I've never seen the item display any tendencies in either direction. There is always a chance there are more parts laying around but do you really want to go there to find them?"

Samnai couldn't help but snort at Aren’s statement. “Who would want to go to that place?”

So it’s the dark Force. Now wonder it has been bothering her so much, and with that sheer amount of energy this one piece possesses, the others must be even worse.

“But,” she frowns, “Where could the other pieces be if not at Korriban?”

If they couldn’t find anything along with the piece during the excavation, then they must be at either a different location in Korriban, or another planet entirely. The question is which.

The observation from Samnai wasn't one she had thought of. Her former Master might have known more but he was dead and not somebody Aren could just run to and ask. Chuckling slightly at the question, she nodded her head.

"That's exactly my thought as well. Not too many people want to go there willingly. Those that do are probably not the sort either of us wants to encounter."

There was also the possibility that it just sucked in the Dark energy of Korriban and had been something mundane before that happened. Not yet giving voice to those words, Aren finished off her juice and set the glass down on the table again.

"Its origin is totally unknown. With the long history of Korriban though, it would make sense it could have been an ancient weapon or part of something used in an old war. What that is though if unknown. So we're sort of at a stalemate. Neither of us knows what it is or maybe even where it originated. Only where it was found."

She didn't even know what else had been found during the excavation.

“A weapon, hm.”

Frankly, looking at the thing it didn’t resemble any weapon she had seen, but it’s very possible. Samnai unconsciously pulls at her chin as she thinks.

The only thing preventing them from advancing forward was a lack of information. Aren had mentioned that the previous owner had tried to solve it, but nothing came out. She gathers all that she knows about this piece : It’s ancient, it’s got dark energy on it, and no matter what it can’t be cracked. It’s not much. She picks up the cube again.

A sudden thought strikes her as she looks at it. A cube.

Her eyes widen—it’s a bit unlikely, she’s leaning more towards the weapon side but…could it be a prototype of sorts?

They might as well look at all possibilities. Glancing at Aren, Samnai voices out her thought, “It’s unlikely but—do you think it was a prototype of a modern device?”

She puts out the thing—they really need to name it properly—and points to the designs. “These could have been used to activate the rest of the thing, look at the inscriptions. It’s not something I know but if we put the whole thing together, it may make sense. If we could figure out what it’s a prototype of, if any, even better.”

She racks her brain on any plausible ideas.

Rubbing at her temple, Aren was suddenly fighting off a splitting headache. This was actually the first time it had happened in quite a long time. Pretty much since she had left her parents. Trying to blink away the pain, she listened to what Samnai suggested.

"It is possible. Does it look like anything to you?"

If the pain hadn't been so great, she would have heard the other woman answer the question.

"There's a chance I might be able to get us to Korriban and visit the site where it was found. No promises though and you would have to trust me enough to travel together."

While Aren had never been to this planet, she had gotten onto Dromund Kaas, broken into her Master's building, and almost gotten away with thieving from him. That was how she had gotten the device in the first place. Letting out a sigh, she closed her eyes for a moment.

"Do you want me to start figuring out a way there?"

The pain was starting to subside and she was able to focus on arranging a trip for the two of them plus her droids to Korriban. Provided Samnai said yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom