Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windrage & The Minotaur

Stephanie Swail

Look what they've done to my dream
With a focused sight on the path ahead, the city moving by alongside them, it was a clear run to the Palace. Asterion nodded to her musings, and talked as he drove.

”It’s not alive, kid. It’s a machine – constructed by man to operate under our control. Like ships in the sky, blasters and droids – all made to be operated by sentient beings to help them advance and reach places once thought unreachable.”

He then turned at her next question.

”The Primeval is a world like no-other. And you won’t leave the same as you were going in. Which is good, so don’t worry. You’ll see things that will scare you but make you stronger and you’ll feel things you never thought possible and then you will be someone you never thought you could be.”

The Palace loomed closer, as did the fate of Théa.

[member="Snowflake"]

The child raised a brow and stared at him as if he had been speaking another language. What in the world were ships, blasters and droids? She had no clue! But at the same time she did not doubt what he said to be true, that people had made things. After all, her Papa had made weapons, her Mama made clothes from furs and hide... This just seemed fifty steps ahead of that, and it was somewhat scary.

"But why aren't people happy with the worlds they were born on? I love Midvinter! I would never have left if Mama hadn't fallen sick, and I'll be going back the moment she is better." And she had no intentions of leaving it again, either. This place was far too warm, and if it was then what about other places?

What he said next held some foreboding which for once was not lost on the girl. She frowned for a long time, staring at the building and then at the man. "I don't want to be scared or changed. And besides, you said we'd be there and back within an hour. That's hardly enough time for life changing... developments!" Was developments the right word? Théa didn't know, but she had heard grown ups using it before and thought it sounded like the right word for the situation!

[member="Asterion"]

Stephanie Swail

Asterion rolled his eyes slightly as he pushed forward to go a little faster as the terrain opened up before them for a clear run without obstacles to the area where the mighty Palace stood.

”No, you see – we are happy with the world. It’s just advancing our own abilities and what we can achieve. Without ships, you would still be stuck on Midvinter. It’s opened up so much for you – and you will be scared, because look at your attitude to new things. You think they are scary, and they probably will be.”

He began to slow their speed as the speeder crested a small hill to start a downward drive into the path towards the complex.

”You will see soldiers, machines, warriors – weapons and ships and who knows what. I’m just warning you that’s all. Don’t be scared of what you see; embrace it, and understand, and you’ll leave here a bigger person with a more…open mind of the galaxy as a whole.”

A few moments later, Asterion stopped the speeder and killed the engine, looking over to the imposing structure ahead, reaching up to the sky. He pulled himself out, walked around and held his hand once more for the child.

”Ready to meet the Lord?”

[member="Snowflake"]

Théa pouted.

Was she being a silly ignorant child again? The Elders were right, she really did have to learn when to stop talking! "You'll stay with me though, right?" she asked, concerning the entire trip to the Palace, "because I shan't be so scared if there is someone I know there too. You sort of remind me of my Papa, he and I have hunted down so many frightful things and he made sure I stayed safe!"

As they pulled up and the man descended the speeder the child stood up. He was at her side quick as a flash and she took the offered hand as she met him on ground level. "Yes, Sir; is he a nice Lord? His Majesty Thrand is supposed to be very nice!" But he was the High King of Midvinter, not Bastion. Who knew what kind of person ran this place...

[member="Asterion"]

Stephanie Swail

Her inane babble passed the Knight by as he placed a hand on her shoulder and walked with her forward past the guard towers and plazas and towards the looming Primeval palace. It already started to blot out the natural light, and the steps leading up the entrance gate looked quite eerie for one as small as she.

”Mhm. Don’t worry I am sure you will be alright and you will see me around. The Host Lord will be most welcoming of you, I assure you.”

Signalling a guard shrouded in naught but a yellow robe and facemask, the Minotaur spoke direct to him…or her…or it, no one could tell from the slight gurgling coming from behind the plate.

”Inform the Host Lord that Asterion has returned with her prize.”

All he could do now was keep her there and wait for [member="Anja Aj'Rou"] to show he made good on his word to serve her. He then turned and knelt down before the Valykri, his eyes dark and brooding into hers which were full of life and wonder. A hand was placed on her shoulder and he shook her gently.

”Don’t be afraid. You’ll enjoy the tour more that way and our Host Lord will just love you.”

[member=Snowflake]

As they approached the Palace, Théa began to have an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. Something didn't quite feel right, she could feel it in her blood... And far be it from the likes of her to ignore such things! She pulled back ever so slightly, though the fact that her hand was still in his meant that she had to keep on walking to some small degree until the man halted himself. Why did he keep calling the person Host Lord? That sounded like a very weird name for King!

But as the guard approached the child drew back and practically hid behind Mino's leg. It was most terrifying, of course she tried to play off her reaction by looking away and feigning interest in another building. That sinking feeling only grew at the mention of the prize. The connotations were not lost on Théa though she did her best to hide it. "Say, w-what's that building?" she asked, pointing to one randomly. "It looks fascinating, can we go there instead?"

She knew it was too late, however; he turned and knelt down, a hand on her shoulder, and gently shook her. Théa's eyes widened. "I... I don't want to meet the Lord, Sir. Can't we just take a tour and then head back? Papa will be back there soon..." As she said this she tried to back up out of his touch, a pout thinly veiling her dreaded frown.

[member="Asterion"]

Stephanie Swail

Asterion turned to look at the large tower block by the Palace.

”That, child, is a boring place where soldiers sleep and eat. And sleep, sometimes.”

As she pulled back a little, his fingers dug into her clothing, nearly pinching her flowing hair. There was nowhere to go.

”The Lord wants to meet you though. I can't lose you here, can I? Your family will be very annoyed if I lose you in the Palace of the Primeval, wouldn't they?”

Standing up, he looked into the darkness that led to the palace, and decided to get her inside. He started to move the youngster forward.

”Come this way. We will make a head-start on the tour and see what we can find, shall we?”

[member="Snowflake"]

She stared at what he described to be a barracks and tried to search out something else on the skyline. But she knew it was in vain, she may have been young and naive but she knew better than to ignore her Valkyri senses. Her stomach was in knots at this point, more so when she felt his fingers close around her shirt and shoulder. It wasn't a rough gesture, but she knew what it meant all the same. There would be no turning back now.

"I could find my way back" she said, trying to turn her head the way they had come as a way of checking her surroundings and hoping she could see the spaceport. "They wouldn't ever know." She fell silent as he began leading her inside, the harsh heat blotted by the eerie interior of the Palace. Helm give me strength she thought, as she was made to walk alongside the man, Odiir grant me swiftness, and Runa guard my life.

To say that she was afraid would have been an understatement. Théa wondered if her Gods could hear her now, so far from home. Oh why had her Father ever left Midvinter? There were no Vhaanir here to set her mind at ease, no sign of the Gods save what remained within her heart and spirit.

"Velkar save me" the child muttered, her words likely not audible even with the man's close proximity unless he was actually paying attention. The very fact that she had called upon the undepicted God proved her peril. She could only hope that the others within the Pantheon would understand her vicious need to survive.

[member='Asterion']

The Imperial Palace of Bastion was truly a sight to behold. The massive Citadel was a complex of many connecting structures; barracks, barricades, bulwarks, dungeons, halls, gardens, corridors, chambers, and archives dotted the expanse that went some twenty kilometers in width and stood nearly three kilometers tall, about the size of an average mountain. It was completely impossible to imagine how many people could stay there but it was easily capable of garrisoning several divisions of troops.

In the heart of the Palace was the Throne Room, a centrally located and well-defended grand hall that could host several hundred--perhaps a thousand--people. At the far end from the main entrance was the throne itself, a carved, ornate chair held high on its pedestal with several long steps leading up. Whoever sat there was elevated three meters above the floor. It was enough to suggest that the Fel Dynasty saw themselves as the pinnacle bloodline throughout the whole Galaxy. This relic of theirs, Bastion, was formidable would that rivaled Coruscant in its defensibility.

Yet that relic was no longer theirs... Not a single Imperial bloodline holds claim to Bastion, the former capital of an empire was now the seat of something quite opposite; a cult of zealots and worshipers known as The Primeval. Their leader, Anja Aj'Rou, was the Host Lord and it was she who sat in the throne of emperors and it was she who claimed hegemony over a legacy that was once thought to be unrivaled. To those who remain true to their imperialistic ways it was a slight to decades of blood and conquest; a humiliating act of scorn towards a dynasty which the galaxy owed everything.

The worst part? She knew nothing of her forerunners and had little appreciation for what the Fel Dynasty has accomplished and what Bastion meant to their history and the history of the galaxy at large. All Anja thought of Bastion was that it was her world and a formidable base which to launch her conquests from. Nothing more and nothing less; simply a tool for her use until it no longer held any.

[member="Snowflake"] | [member="Asterion"]

Stephanie Swail

His large hand dug into her clothing, thin and flimsy in his fingers on the shoulder, leading her into the palace court. The eerie looking arches led up, down and across into other areas that housed other dark and delicious delights. Soldiers, warlocks, witches, prophets, slaves...all forming one great collection of like-minded beings. Asterion was at the bottom of the ladder, but the child would be a way steadily up.

”See the architecture? It is timeless, like nothing else on the planet or in the galaxy. You can explore it later as much as you'd like after you meet the Host Lord.”

Coming closer to the far end, the daylight outside fading with each step as the gates helped keep out unwanted visitors and intruders, the masked guards loyal only to the Lord turned, a small platoon of them in shifts around the throne room which Asterion had only seen once.

”I request an audience with the Host Lord at once.”

[member="Théa Windrage"] | [member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Théa stared ahead and remained absolutely silent at this point. She knew his words were used to stall her from making a fuss or causing a scene, so she felt no thrill or excitement toward this fake tour he spoke of.

And besides, his hand was becoming painful as his fingers dug into her skin. Théa was usually quite a vocal child, even outgoing, but now she shrunk in on herself; her eyes darted around the walkways and the rooms they passed through, hoping for some sort of respite from whatever fate held in store.

Shying back from the view of the guards, the small child hid her face against the man's arm. "I want to go home" she whimpered quietly as they finally seemed to reach their destination and [member="Asterion"] called for the Host Lord. There was an urgency to his tone, and she knew that this was the end of the line for one of them.

Without warning Théa pulled back against his grip and did her best to make a run for it. Panic seized her, and all she could think about was finding her family and getting off this God-forsaken world.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Stephanie Swail

The girl broke free from him, and this was just a little blip in his concentration. But it bore him no worry, as she was nothing but a child. Without turning, he stretched out this hand and clenched his fist, sending a wave of Force energy to bind her legs together, like an invisible grip to stop her in her track. Falling over would be perfect and he didn't care if it hurt.

”As you can see, the prize doesn't exactly want to wait so if you don't mine...?” Asterion hissed to the guard.

The guard nodded to Asterion, observing the little show she put on in a feeble attempt to escape the palace.

"Your return is expected," the guard turned to open the door, "she's already inside." he gestured for them to enter the grand hall.

Inside the hall itself, Anja was already waiting in the throne; an older man was kneeling in front of her, clearly requesting something of the Host Lord. In fact if they were close enough at this point they could probably overhear the conversation being had.

"Your Worship, I understand that this is much to ask but I beg of your mercy... Our trade ships cannot thrive because you allow piracy in the space around Bastion." He spoke in a low, respectful tone as to not upset the Host Lord. His wrinkled face showed two weary, brown eyes.

Anja's hand tapped along the armrest of the throne chair, clicking audibly. "It's not piracy if we allow it, your trade ships will be protected, however... So long as they bear our mark." She spoke in a soft yet commanding tone. Several guards lined the walls around them.

The man looked around, he was uncertain with her suggestion. "If we bear your marks, that'll make us a target to your enemies, Your Worship." His voice trembled a little in uncertainty to how she'd respond.

"Quite true, I'll consider your suggestion, move along." She waved him off.

[member="Asterion"] | [member="Snowflake"]

Without warning Théa felt her feet clamp together and simultaneously she hit the ground; the air was knocked from her lungs in the process, forcing her to take a moment to catch her breath. When she tried to lift up her eyes watered, though she bit back the tears which welled. Instead she held her chest and stood to her feet, no doubt having a few scrapes and bruises for her effort.

Not wanting a repeat, fearful of what had caused it in the first place - after all, Théa was not a self-aware Force User - she quietly returned to Mino's side and kept her gaze to the ground. Without a word she followed him into the hall when the doors opened, and while curiosity bade her to take in the view she instead graced her sights with a view of her own feet.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"] [member="Asterion"]

Stephanie Swail

Asterion looked back and quietly was pleased with the girl’s understanding and obedience – she wasn’t stupid, and knew when she was overpowered. The upset in her face was clear, but it wasn’t his concern, and he was only doing what had been asked. Watching the doors to the throne room pull apart, the Knight nodded to the low-voiced guard and gripped Théa again by the neck and walked forward with her.

The voices from the throne itself echoed out, as the muted light from outside shone through, like a grand cathedral. Eerie, vast and cold.

”Don’t speak unless spoken too, kid. Trust me.”

He leaned towards the timid girl as they walked, ignoring the conversation getting louder as they got closer.

”Be honest, and don’t show weakness. It’s a death sentence if you do.”

Asterion pulled back as if holding a leash to stop the girl yards from the throne, giving the Host Lord the space she needed to dismiss the fumbling oaf talking to her. Next on the possible chopping board, Asterion met her gaze and lowered his head.

”It’s taken a while, but your request has been fulfilled. May I present Théa Windrage of Midwinter.”

"A child?" It was a rhetorical question and said in a way that wasn't displeasing; in fact it was almost enthusiastic as if she received a pleasant surprise.

Children were easy to mould, able to be shaped to ones will. They were also incredibly creative, strong-willed, and at the same time naive. These were all perfect traits for what she asked for--perfect traits for what she needed. But at the same time she wondered... "Can she be trained?" Anja asked Asterion, this time she wanted an answer. As she waited for it her pale eyes glanced down to the young girl, curious thoughts flooded throughout her mind.

Who was she? What kind of person was she? This Thea Windrage of Midwinter.

It was a planet she's heard of before, in fact her own arbiter--the executioner, if you would---was of that same world, his clan was Shadowmane.

[member="Asterion"] | [member="Théa Windrage"]

Despite his urging her to caution, Théa could not help but feel fury rise within her as the two adults began to speak as if she were not there, and there was a sinister undertone to the entire affair. She would not be leaving here today, she knew, and the thought simply maddened her. While she wasn't used to getting her own way the child had quite the fiery temper and was not too afraid to show it for the most part.

Intimidated, yet wanting answers all the same, once the woman spoke Théa only scoffed and glared across at Asterion who held her neck tightly in place to stop her from running. Words laced the tip of her tongue, but she did not quite have the gall to speak the way she wished she could. Both of her hands curled into fists and unbeknownst to her the Force swirled dangerously about her person.

"I am right here, you know" she said, without warning. Her dual-colored eyes flicked between the pair and her expression sullied into a slight snarl of sorts. Her tone was dangerously vehement, which she knew almost immediately had been a foolish decision. Both of these people were dangerous, she could sense that the way she sensed it from the animals she had hunted back home. "I don't understand what's going on" she continued, this time however her voice was a very hushed whisper, almost saddened. "I just want to go back to my papa now... Please..."

@[member='Asterion'] @[member='Anja Aj'Rou']

Stephanie Swail

Asterion nodded once to the Host Lord, savoring the fact he hadn't been laughed down by bringing a child rather than a fully fledged warrior or a mystic sorcerer. The girl shuffled in his grasp, but she was easily ignored.

”I'm sure she can, my Lord. After all, they are the easiest to break, but not without witnessing their fire.”

The child Feicity still had left her mark on Asterion's face, and heart, all these years on and she was just a child whom had been under-estimated. Break them fast and hard; show no mercy and no compassion. As Théa mumbled, Asterion frowned and placed his hand on her back and effectively pushed her forward, but staying where he was.

”Remember what I said. And get home out your head - you ain't going back there now kid.”

Anja glanced down to the small child, her eyes as empty as ever, reflecting on her pale visage.

"She's rather intelligent, and perhaps even brave." Her eyes then bounded back to Asterion to whom her words were directed. "I'd like you to train her, if possible, but I have a proposal... My own apprentice has become rather weak and I'd find it rather intriguing to see how well he fared against a child." It wasn't with cruel intention, but she knew Kiber well enough to understand his psychological profile. One fact remained; he would never harm a child. But would she harm him?

Truly Anja was more curious to see what Thea was capable of, but also to see if her own apprentice had learned anything.

[member="Asterion"] | [member="Théa Windrage"]

Théa exhaled through her nose and tried to keep her temper in check when [member="Asterion"] pushed her toward[member="Anja Aj'Rou"] and told her she would never be going home. Never going home indeed! What did he know about the will and determination of the Valkyri? She would find a way, just like her people found ways to fight back the dread of the Night and live without the stupid technology that the rest of the Galaxy clung to. Ugh how much she hated that stuff right now, if it wasn't for blasters and spaceships and other stupid unnecessary necessities she would still be home now, with Éar as her protector, accompanying her papa on a hunt. One of their local healers would've tended to her mother and everything would have been perfect.

Damn Velkar for his trickery. Damn him for bringing those foolish explorers to her world!

And then the woman said that she wanted Mino to train her. Train her how? She already knew how to use a bow and a short blade, hunting was dangerous after all. And what did she mean by seeing how her apprentice fared against a child? Did she want her to fight another person? Théa scoffed under her breath. No, papa had always told her that weapons were never to be drawn against anything you weren't willing to kill and eat. You didn't hunt for sport, especially not your fellow man, save for in times of war where defense required it. She turned her head toward Mino to see what he was thinking. Surely he wouldn't allow any of this. He had to let her go now, right?

He had to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom