Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Do You Adore?

The rumors of xenophobia on her behalf had reached his ears once or twice, though given his limited experience with Helly, he was more or less certain that they were false. At her mention of needing to speak with him after the interview, however, he was unsure how to respond, simply nodding and taking a step back to let [member="Maxine"] do her thing.

"Of course, Miss [member="Helly Reyne"] . I have plenty of time before I must be back. Would you like me to give you privacy for your interview?"

Ex-Solider | Ex-Spy | Doctor
She was walking a razor thin line, even more so than before. 'Threatened by a celebrity. I wish this was the first time I could cross that off my list' she thought. She'd remained remarkably calm throughout the ordeal. A wash of cool professionalism flowed through her. She was in her element, and god did she love this.

"Of course" Max said, turning on the recorder. "Just say the word, and I'll erase the last couple of seconds from the interview". She pressed a button, before starting the playback: "Just say the wor-" the speaker mimicked before cutting off. She winked at Helly. "I can understand your wariness of the press, but not all of us are Firaxa. And your position is not as tenuous as it seems. Xenophobia rumors are harsh as far as slander goes, but it's the only hold the press has over you". She turned the recorder on again.

"This is Maxine, I'm hanging backstage with the one and only [member="Helly Reyne"]!" She addressed her imaginary audience. "Helly's just finished an impressive set on Zeltros, and I've just popped backstage to have a chat with the superstar herself". She moved the recorder partway between Helly and herself, to catch both of their voices. "So Helly, I did a bit of digging, guilty as charged, and found out you were born on Coruscant, same as I was. Did your young life in the sprawling metropolis have any effect on the music you write today? And this concert on Zeltros, was choosing this planet deliberate? Or is it part of a larger tour? Planning of visiting any other planets in the core?” She stopped herself, almost out of breath. Embarrassed, she turned off the recorder for a moment. "Sorry, got carried away there" Max said flustered, her newfound confidence shaken. "Feel free to answer each of those questions one at a time".

She turned to the [member="Errreembuhr"], gently elbowing him in the side (with the height difference this was the 'side' of the leg). "I haven't forgotten about you, my generous friend, how do you know Helly?"

"Stay," she told the Wookiee. "There's no privacy to an interview regardless." She couldn't have him roaming about when she still needed him. It was a popular venue on Zeltros, anyone could get themselves lost there.

"The word," Helly said with an unamused tone, narrowing her eyes just a bit. As she listened to Maxine's introduction, she contemplated on whether or not this was a good idea. Her manager had no say in it whatsoever, not that she ever cared what her manager thought, but maybe there was something she wasn't thinking about in her post-show brain. As the questions came pouring in, she did her best to keep track of them without getting lost in any. Questions about her childhood had a knack for doing that to her.

"Well, first of all, thank you for the compliment! We did what we could to make this a truly special showing and I'm always so overjoyed to see a crowd like the one we had tonight. But more to the point- a song like Climb would be a good example of something inspired by Coruscant. Meeting Freylen and trying our hardest to move up in the world with our music just on Coruscant was a story in itself. We probably could have made entire albums solely on that alone." She gave the woman, or more importantly the listeners, a friendly enough laugh. While she hated being the adorable punk rocker, if she was going to convince people of anything, she needed to come off as digestible as possible. She loathed the entertainment industry sometimes. "Other than that, the vast majority of the music I write is about the relationships I've made with people along the way. Not just the romantic ones, but the people who've helped me become who I am today, and of course the people who've hurt me-" Her father flashed into her mind, and there she was beside him, a blonde princess of sorts, soaking up the love and admiration of her caring father who would do anything to have her. And yet she was forgotten. It cut deep, but she remained stoic for the interview, moving right along.

"We usually just branch out as much as we can to see what venues we'd like best. Club Blush seemed like the kind of vibe we were looking for, something to really get us pumped to perform. Any musician will tell you the same thing; there's no vibe as electric as the one on Zeltros. Of course, my homeworld will always have the honor of being my absolute favorite place to rock out. And speaking of Coruscant, we've got something special planned for Metellos coming up soon enough, so be on the lookout for any announcements if you're in the area!"

[member="Errreembuhr"] | [member="Maxine"]

The Wookiee remained silent as the woman of the hour answered her questions, preferring to wait until she'd finished before answering the one that had been directed at him. He admittedly knew very little about Helly and her history, or that of the band, having only begun listening to them recently. He could certainly agree that Coruscant provided a plethora of inspiration for art.

Something was off about her, though, now that he got a better look at her in a position of better lighting. He couldn't quite tell what, but there was something that didn't seem right, at least not compared to the rest of the band. Or even compared to [member="Maxine"] herself.

Before long though she'd finished, and the attention was on the Wookiee himself. "I actually met [member="Helly Reyne"] at a carnival hosted by the Coalition. I'd only recently started listening to her music, and it was more or less luck that I recognized her. I'm not sure exactly if we're friends, but at least friendly acquaintances."

Everyone had a weak point. Find the right topic of conversation and you'll see them crack. It might be only for a moment, and it might only be a small glimpse, but it could give a new insight into the interview. [member="Helly Reyne"] was good at hiding her emotions, but Max had a keen eye. It had been when she was talking about her song inspiration. It was barely perceptible, if you blinked you would have missed it. But at the word 'hurt', Helly the "punk-rock star" disappeared. For just a second stood a weary woman, shackled to her music, the weight of her words falling heavy on her shoulders...

Maxine blinked, distracted. What had she seen? Had she daydreamed? Was it something else? The Force? She wasn't sure she entirely believed in the Force, but that was another matter entirely. Helly stood still, stoic as ever and Maxine knew what she had to do. She smiled, a grin that was more like a grimace. "I've made a terrible mistake" she started, shutting off the recorder. "Instead of approaching you through the proper channels, I was selfish and interrupted your personal time at your own concert." She reached into her jacket, withdrawing a small card. "You said you have trouble with the press, so let me make it up to you". She pressed the recorder into Helly's hand. "Take this, along with my address" she wrote the name of the motel she was staying at on the back of her business card. "You decide how much you want the press to know. Erase as much of the interview as you want, even all of it, and mail it back to me. Don't worry, I'll pay for postage" she finished, winking. She passed the card to the woman.

"For now, I hope you allow me to pick up some tour dates from your Lead Guitarist" she said, moving away. She passed [member="Errreembuhr"] before turning back towards the Wookie. "Here" she tucked one of her business cards into a loop of his fur. "Give me a call if you ever wanted to do an interview. A Wookie-cyborg is unique enough to turn some heads". With that, she walked off to find Hartlite's lead guitarist.

It was unconventional for an interviewer to be the one to cut an interview short, to say the least. Helly could only stare on speechlessly as [member="Maxine"] walked away in some kind of showing of sympathy? She looked more carefully at the recorder, making sure it was just a recorder and not some kind of explosive device. She had never had such a blatant attempt on her life, but she wouldn't put it past anyone anymore.

If this journalist was genuine, then it was an act of mercy she hadn't seen in years, despite how simple it may have seemed. Maybe she had just realized that she was in over her head with sneaking her way backstage for an interview. Or maybe she was exactly the kind of press Helly needed at that time. She didn't want to hold out any hope, but a part of her couldn't help but feel like it was an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

Almost forgetting that [member="Errreembuhr"] was still with her, as unlikely as that seemed to be given his stature, she quickly snapped herself out of her own ideas and turned her attention to him.

"Right..." she said. "Uh... I'm really glad you came here. You stood out in the crowd, so it was hard to miss you, but maybe it's fate telling me something because I could really use your help. You know your way around machinery, right?" She made sure that none of her crew of security was nearby when she spoke next. "And you're part cyborg yourself... Do you think you could help another cyborg? Just don't tell anyone that I'm asking you this, because I assure you that I can be one of your best customers if you cooperate with me. But you need to cooperate with me, understand?"

The reporter's departure took him by surprise as well, and he quickly grabs her card before it falls from his fur. He tucks it away into a small metallic container on his chest rig before turning back to [member="Helly Reyne"] . He listens as she explains her situation, nodding when she asks if he knows about machinery. The admission that she's a cyborg, though, now that is an interesting revelation. One he didn't see coming.

"Hmm, I see," he replied when she finished. "What is it you need help with? My company doesn't do much work with cybernetics, but I know a good bit about them personally. My own experience with my pieces has taught me a great deal about how they work."

She led [member="Errreembuhr"] further back into an isolated corner, speaking low and quick. "Look, almost everything you see is synthetic. Even parts of my brain had to be rebuilt. I used to know someone who could keep me updated on my parts as I was growing, but he wasn't exactly in good with the law. After he got taken away, I had to rely on what I have now. It's advanced, but I don't know the first thing about it. Hell, even my last guy didn't know much about it. I need to be updated, that's all I know. It's dragging me down in a big way, and I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. If I set a date for inspection, would you at least grant me that?"

Helly was practically begging him at that point. She couldn't be sure how much of her problems were due to faulty hardware or simply the life she had been living, but she had to at least try this. At twenty-six years old, she felt at least fifty on the inside.

[member="Maxine"]

The Lead Guitarist seemed just as concerned as Helly when Maxine introduced herself, but when assured that she only wanted tour dates, the band member was happy to help. She turned back to find [member="Helly Reyne"] deep in conversation with [member="Errreembuhr"]. She shuffled on the spot awkwardly, suddenly realising how out of place she was. She turned back to the guitarist, saying: "Do you mind if I make a quick call?". She didn't wait for the response, lest it was one of refusal. She found a quiet spot out of earshot of the rest of band and dialed a number.

The phone rang eleven times before it was answered. A gruff voice, all the way on Coruscant, answered. "Mad Max!" Douglas, her (former) manager, said. "I thought you said you'd never call here again" Maxine gritted her teeth. "Well I was mistaken" she conceded. "Really? You said, and I quote, 'I'd rather wade through the swamps of Dagobah with two cuts on each big toe, then talk to you again' " he replied in a smug tone of voice. Max groaned inwardly. Her parting with the Galactic City Herald had not gone well. It didn't help that she'd drunk a bit beforehand, to steel her nerves to quit, and had been thoroughly sozzled throughout the whole ordeal.

"Look, everyone does things they regret now and again" she replied. "The point is, I've thought about your offer and I'm interested...if you'd agree to some terms". She heard him laugh uproariously and had to move her ear away from the phone. "You haven't changed a bit, Max" Douglas eventually replied. "You're in no position to offer terms! It would have killed you to call me. You must be desperate for cash". She took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Look, all I need is some time to pursue personal projects now and then. I'll spend most of the time on the front, I promise". There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Very well, I'll allow it. There isn’t anyone else who is willing to pick it up, after all. As a war-reporter you'll need to sign a lot of documents, so send me whatever Holonet mail you use..."

The remainder of the call was spent sorting out details of her new assignment. The called ended with a friendly goodbye from Doug, and a terse response from Maxine. She gained a small measure of satisfaction by sending him the phone bill.

- - - - -
She left the club under much more auspicious circumstances than when she entered. Feeling drained from the whole experience, she collapsed on her motel bed. Deciding she'd catch up on some sleep before she was shipped out, she put on her Hartlite playlist and fell asleep sprawled across the bed.

"Of course I can do an inspection," the Wookiee replied to [member="Helly Reyne"] . "If you aren't afraid of spiders I have some spider droids that may be able to make small repairs on the spot. But I will certainly be happy to make an inspection and see what I can do further to help you."

It may have been above his capabilities, but he would make the effort for a friend. One who trusted him despite having only met him once before.

Helly gave him a skeptical, uncertain glance at the sound of spider droids. Why did they need to be spiders of all things?

"Are you sure these... spider droids... can repair technology that isn't standard? I'm no tech expert, but I know it's complicated stuff. My dad built it all from scratch to perfectly fit as replacements for the real thing."

She talked about her father like he was dead, but in reality, he had merely moved on from her. Things would have been a lot simpler if he had died...

"And I can't make this any clearer; don't let anyone know about this. Not even the Hartlite crew. I have a bad enough reputation with my fake past, I don't need even more of that with the real story." She looked around at the stagehands for Club Blush starting to close shop and quickly added, "Put me down for as soon as possible, alright?"

[member="Errreembuhr"]

"With the proper guidance and oversight they'll do the job," he replied, noting her hesitation that likely harbored concern about the fact that they were based on spiders. It was almost humorous, the idea of fearing a spider so small, when he'd grown up on a planet with Wyyyschokk. Humans were much more fragile than Wookiees, though of course, [member="Helly Reyne"] was more than human. "Their small size allows for intricate movements and operations, but I will also have medical and engineering staff present in addition to myself. Ones that I can trust to keep this of the utmost secrecy."

He reached for his chest rig, removing a small data pad and bringing up a schedule before handing it to her. "Here. Select a date and I will have things prepared for your arrival."

"One standard week good for you?" she asked. "I've got one more show in Metellos and then I'll get some free time before the new album needs to drop. This staff that's going to be with you- Could they just not be informed about my identity? I don't like taking chances like that, not after being burned so many times in the past."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

"That works for me," he replied, taking the pad back once it was set. "I'll make sure that your privacy is given the utmost respect and care in preparation. It's the least we can do for such a valued guest."

[member="Helly Reyne"]

Helly smirked at the valued guest comment. "I'm trusting you, Embuhr. Don't let me down."

As the two parted ways by the time things were coming to a close backstage, Helly was approached by Raska, or rather grabbed as she was embraced in all four of Raska's arms from behind.

"How's my favorite xenophobe doing?" she teased, causing Helly to roll her eyes.

"You know you act awfully gay for a straight girl, right?"

Raska got right up to Helly's ear and whispered, "Maybe I just haven't met the right girl yet."

Helly shrugged her off, grunting out of frustration. "Save it for after we make the grind to release our next album. It'll be cuddle-city, I promise."

"Isn't that just what Zeltros is?" Raska suggested. "You can't come to this place and have a lonely bed your entire visit. Let loose a little, spend the night with a cute girl, relax. You've been so stressed out lately."

"Yeah, it's almost like I recently caused the deaths of eight fans at a show that we put on."

"That sounds like something Mona would say-"

"I'm not in contact with Mona anymore!" she lied. "And I can't just forget about that kind of thing. It's not that easy for me." As she backed away from the guitarist, she pushed open the door leading to the back alley, finishing with, "I need time, not sex."

In all truthfulness, what she meant to say was that she needed more spice and alcohol, but even she knew that it wasn't truly what she needed.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom