Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Knight Investors

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

Drogheda, the capital-of-sorts of Silk Holdings and the Mara Corridor, had been chosen for its remoteness. Such choices had been made long before the Republic's wounded pride led to the fall of Nar Shaddaa. Now Drogheda and most of the Mara were in Republic hands -- good for security, to be sure, and good for his connections to the Core -- but it did make one reevaluate one's position in the grand scheme of things. Warden of the Sky that he was, he'd long since grown accustomed to living and doing business in lawless space. His sheriffs had been the only law on the Mara until just recently, and the Jedi were looking uncommonly hungry these days, so he'd pulled back the sheriffs and relocated them to the space near CIS turf -- or the Rishii Maze.

He wavered between mental images -- tightropes and knife-edge walking -- until he tired of that. There was always something to do, even if he'd just finished a holocall with Alna and Mara, and even if he'd just finished the prospectus on his next job with Rahvin. Always something to do-

His hand froze over a datapad, just for an instant. Maybe enough to give him away, though. Without turning around-

"Who's there?"

Aleidis Zrgaat

Young soul from an older generation.
A shimmer in the corner of your eye, a faint scent of fruit or something of the sort that had no business being where you where. That itching on the back of your neck, sensations of being watched. When the winds shifted and threw dust motes in an odd pattern, as though someone were passing through your home invisibly.

Ghosts.

As it turned out, @[member="Jorus Merrill"] was about as strong in the Force as she'd been led to believe - she'd been gradually shedding her layers of invisibility, trying to determine at which point he'd notice her presence. He did admirably. About as well as any other Master-level force user who wasn't privvy to her particular brand of nonsense. It was admirable enough. He'd make for a fine asset.

"I haven't been here long, Mister Merrill." Alei's quiet, almost apologetic voice replied from somewhere to his left. As it turned out, the 'shimmer in the corner of the eye' theory had been correct. A rail-thin teenager with an obviously cybernetic arm sat on the corner of Jorus' desk, as though she had every reason in the world to be there. As if she'd been there all day, patiently waiting for her turn to grasp his attention. The former Chancellor of the Republic (and current persona-non-grata) Aleidis Ijet, looking perfectly normal in faded, dusty jeans and a white blouse, her traveled satchel slung over one shoulder.

"I apologize for the unannounced entrance, but I wasn't sure if I could trust you to hear me out without summoning trouble." Aleidis admitted in that same apologetic tone, pensively turning a baseball over in her tiny, narrow hands. "I've been following your work for some time, and I thought that we might be able to help each other out. All I'm asking for is ten minutes of your time, Mister Merrill." The teenager requested.

Jorus Q. Merrill had served for years in the ODF, going from Lieutenant to Captain. Before that, he'd spent time in militias and planetary defense forces all over the Dark Age galaxy. The Rebels called him General, just like Dells. For all that, he wasn't the sort to salute. Not in his private life, not anytime he wasn't wearing dress uniform on a ship some poor taxpayers bought instead of blue milk for their kids.

His boot-heels clacked together, and he gave a deliberate and sincere salute, without mockery of self or other, to the teenage girl sitting on his desk. The salute came down, the stiffness left his spine, and then he was your average spacer trash again, but something about her told him the genuine article was on the horizon. "Chancellor Ijet, for you, I can spare as much as fifteen." He cracked a grin of sorts and circumnavigated the desk. A holodisplay, the good kind with three-dee touch functionality, came to life. His connections, his files, his assets, his understanding of the galaxy, hyperlanes he'd flown but never revealed.

"Not sure whether I'm sayin' this as a tramp freighter pilot in the Rebs, or a majority stakeholder, but I mean it all the same, either way." He gestured at the immense hinted assets all over the holodisplay. "And I don't say it as a throwaway thing, either.

"What, exactly, can I do for you?"

Aleidis Zrgaat

@[member="Jorus Merrill"]

That salute. There was an unmistakable gravitas to the gesture, the feeling that something significant and important had just occurred on a scale approaching 'Galactic'. Aleidis Ijet had been saluted many times in as many ways, but the bitter truth of it was that the people that'd afforded her the most respect had never been the people she'd governed. @Genesis Rotsu had treated her like a queen, @[member="Ashin Varanin"] had spoken to her as an equal, and @Tyrin Ardik had been wary of her disfavor. Aleidis had been to the table with names that shook the destiny of the Galaxy, but the simple respect of a genuine salute was enough to give teenager pause and rob her of words for a moment. He hadn't questioned 'why' or 'how' she was here, but simply saluted her and gotten right down to business.

Jorus Merrill's dossier - as spotty was it was and rife with anecdote & rumor - painted him as a man who had every reason to sneer at her arrival, or turn her in for one of the doubtlessly generous bounties on her head. His work for Omega Pyre was storied and extensive, and there were no good vibes between Aleidis and that august conglomerate. He was a career insurgent, with a psych profile that suggested a chronic need to fight against impossible odds and (encouragingly, in this case) against perceived tyranny. Aleidis had been, not long ago, the very face of Galactic control, however benevolent - weaving a net of treaties and implied threats that'd won the Galaxy a rare reprieve from constant warfare.

But any doubts she had regarding his potential as an ally flew out the window the moment his heels had clicked together and he'd afforded a teenager in shabby clothes the kind of respect usually reserved for dignitaries and rulers.

Sliding off of Jorus' desk, Aleidis turned to carefully consider his holodisplay while pondering his words. "This past year has been good to you, Mister Merrill." She complimented politely, before getting right to business. "The Republic has lost it's way." Aleidis explained bluntly, opening her hands.

"The wheels were in place before I took office - murmurs and whispers of coming war, people suddenly jumpy at their own shadows, as though Sith lived around every corner, waiting to attack. Terror gripped the populace, and it seemed that the entire Galaxy was on the border of plunging into the darkest age we'd ever seen. I am convinced that this tension is why Master Benjamin Watts asked me to take the seat of Chancellor, and I saw it as my duty." She explained succinctly.

"I did my best to forestall what felt like an unstoppable war while seeking the root cause. I thought that, perhaps, it might have been the work of Velok - but since his removal from the equation, it seems things have gotten worse." Aleidis sighed, standing upright with her hands on her hips. "Now, I realize that the threat was never from outside the Republic itself - but from within. A sleeping specter of destruction, an unstoppable dragon slowly waking. Have you heard it's stomach rumble, Mister Merrill?"

"Because I have. The Republic has been a military powerhouse for millenia, but this is - I feel - the first time since the Plague itself where it is marching in all directions at once, against any and all beings that stand in their way." Aleidis explained, producing her own mini holo display. "As we speak, the pressure of their holy war has all but plunged the Empire into complete anarchy. As we speak, they are mobilizing on no less than seven planets at a time - half of them only to serve as launching points and staging grounds against other factions. Their power runs uncheck, and they have become drunk on it. The Current Reublic-Powers-that-be have seen fit to destroy all progress I made towards Galactic peace, and the remainder of the Galaxy rests on their laurels, convinced that the ever-hungering monster will surely be sated before it comes for them. They are mistaken."
"Ardak Serifen held manifest destiny in check until it overwhelmed him, resulting in madness. When I wouldn't allow it to continue, they disposed of me. I have grown convinced that the position of 'Supreme Chancellor' is no longer one of patronage or leadership - the seat is that of a Warden. And without a Warden, the Republic will consume the Galaxy in neverending war."

"Mister Merrill, this must not come to pass." Aleidis insisted, passion emphasizing every word. "You have no reason to love me or my cause, but your sense of duty as a Citizen of the Galaxy is known far and wide, and I've nowhere else to turn. I'm begging you, please - help me save the Galaxy." The Ghostling pleaded, clasping her hands together above her sternum. "Help me reign in the engine of destruction my home as become. I don't know what, exactly, you can help with - but my heart and the Force tell me that if anyone can help me to fight an unstoppable force and wrangle it into check, it is you. I am in so far over my head that I don't even know where to start, but I know that I must take steps now. Before it becomes too late."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]
"Impassioned," he said bluntly. "I've seen folks riled up and not make sense, but you, you keep it together. I can't keep callin' you Chancellor, not if we're going to make this work. Master Ijet, or Alei in public, if that's all right with you. Depends how open you want your presence to be. Your name'll light signal fires all over the place. They've tarred you hard since you've been gone. Right-wing shows like Battle for Democracy are callin' you and the other conscientious objectors 'traitors' and names o'that sort. Your treaty made you a villain to them, a useful one. Everything depends on whether you're planning to be a figurehead, a power behind the scenes, or whatever.

"You know I'm a Warden of the Sky. You've got me pegged. It's gettin' mighty crowded in my sky, and I've got friends on..." He trailed off, staring out the window at the Drogheda desert where he and Alna had pulled that underground salvage op. Matter of fact, apart from the acculturated folks running this particular surface base, a lot of those ghostling-like folk were still in their underground world, a quarter klick down. Responsibility. A lot of lives. A lot of lives whichever way he spun this.

"I can't even remember the world. Republic's big black mark. Contruum, that's it. Been there a dozen times recruitin' people the Republic hung out to dry. There's a lotta blood over there. I've seen things you wouldn't believe, cleaning up my assets on Ahto City. I'm a kolto seller. I had to watch Selkath I trusted, liked, paid...they got hit by the Butcher of Metalorn, Matsu Ike, with a big ol' storm. And then some Republic agent sank a third of the city tryin' to kill the Sith army.

"Yeah. I'm with you."

Aleidis Zrgaat

"I'll be whatever I need to be." Aleidis promised resolutely and without hesitation. She'd been happy to live the rest of her life as a Jedi Knight, but Je'Gan Olra'en had marked her for greatness. Ben Watts had elevated her to leadership. And Velok had spun her name into legend, for good or ill. What she, as an individual wanted had long since stopped being a part of the equation. She'd thought she could disappear onto Datar and leave the Galaxy behind her, but it had suffered for her absence - it seemed that no one else was willing to step up and do what needed to be done. "But if we're to be working together, Mister Merrill, I insist you call me 'Alei' or 'Aleidis'. It's my name, after all."

Her expression soured slightly at the mention of Matsu Ike, Metalorn, and Contruum. Mistakes had been made, things she couldn't control - and the fact that they'd happened with such startling regularity only fed her conviction that there was something foul and sinister going on behind the scenes. Not for long, though, if she had her way. As much as she hated to consider the thought, there would be blood over this - hers, soldiers, others. Life was a precious and sacred thing, and culling some to preserve many was a very dangerous and Sith-like way to plan things... but what alternative was there? The Republic had long since lost it's way, and didn't seem to show any inclination towards finding it again.

"I am afraid I must bow to your experience here, Mister Merrill." Aleidis admitted. "I've done some research, but you've been involved in rebellions longer than I've been alive. All I know is that, to start, we need friends and funding. I am precariously short on both." She explained sheepishly. "I'd thought to try and unite the disparate remains of the Sith Empire under a banner, but they would use our righteous cause as a way to exact bloody vengeance upon the people of the Republic, and I cannot abide that. Ashin Varanin might, perhaps, lend an ear to our predicament - but as leader of the Fringe, any overt support she might give would be seen as a declaration of war by the Republic and only hasten the endless battle."

"As it stands, my assets number a single ship, two lightsabers, and my girlfriend." Aleidis admitted. "Humble beginnings to be sure, considering what we're up against. But you need only point me in the direction I should start towards, and I'll do my very best." She promised earnestly, leaning on his desk. Let it never be said that Aleidis Ijet allowed herself to be dead weight or stand by while others won her battles!

"So that's the size of it, then," he mused. "On the one hand, two teenagers with a little ship are askin' me to tear down the biggest, most powerful government in seven hundred years, just after it finished chewin' up the other one. On the other hand, the greatest peacemaker since the Gulag Virus is askin' me to fix a cancer that calls itself righteousness.

"I don't think it can be done. Then again, that pretty much defines every cause I've fought for as a Rebel." He sat down behind the huge holodisplay, and it grew to fill the massive office space. "Here's what I have to work with."

For the next hour and a half -- fifteen minutes be damned -- he led her through the surface-level picture of what, exactly, Silk Holdings had come to own. The Rishi Maze extragalactic assets. The Mara Corridor. The HALCYON space trains bringing cheap interstellar travel just about anywhere. The second-biggest bacta supplier in the galaxy, with pipelines all throughout the Tion Cluster. Eshan Drive Yards, a major recent acquisition, a gigantic shipyard in Republic space. Design teams. Sheriffs. Rebel cells. OP connections. Hyperspace monitoring stations all over the Mara.

55% ownership of the company, with another 45% in the name of his wife.

"So this is what we have," he said. "You've got instincts, good ones I hear. What comes to mind? Maybe you'll see somethin' I don't."

Aleidis Zrgaat

Aleidis carefully considered each portion of knowledge @[member="Jorus Merrill"] laid before her. There was a wealth of it - literally, in fact. Silk Holdings was as much a household name as Blas-Tech these days. And when a company was that ubiquitous, there was a certain amount of nonsense they could and could not get away with. As rich as the Merrills were, even they couldn't afford to go against a superpower like the Republic and expect to win head on, nor could she ask Jorus to make what'd amount to the ultimate sacrifice for her cause. No, if Jorus was in this as much as he claimed to be, his involvement had to be hands off to the common eye.

Thankfully, he was in exactly the position to do just that.

"It seems to me that nothing moves in the Galaxy without passing through Silk Holdings's hands." Aleidis murmured, brushing her hair behind her ear. "Which puts you at a unique advantage, Mister Merrill - anybody who wants to go to war has to pay whatever tolls you see fit to charge to use your facilities." She explained, tracing his Corridor and space-trains to demonstrate. "Although, if you just started charging them more, the Republic would either seize your assets or the cost wouldn't even slow them down."

"What you CAN do, however, is gather information. If the Republic moves ships to war, you'll know about it. If they position themselves for invasion, it shows up in your database." Aleidis explained with a small grin. "Suddenly, they lose the advantage of surprise in all battles. Suddenly, their 'enemies' are always prepared for their approach. That should curtail their expansion slightly - and if they manage to piece it together that Silk Holdings is the common denominator, you can claim that your databases were tapped by a slicer, or even claim I'm to fault." She promised with a smirk. "I'm sure the ships you manufacture have some method of tracking available, allowing you to trace the movements of fleets that travel along other paths."

"It's not much, but it's a start. Slowing their expansion, making it harder for them to steamroll over people just for the sake of planting flags." Aleidis explained. "Without bringing any thunder down on your or your family, no less. If things become overt and you feel compelled to take a more active role, your position as the gatekeeper to the Galaxy affords you the privilege to control the movement of their troops by allowing and denying access to your hyperlanes - giving any side you wish a distinct advantage." She stood up right and put her hands behind her back, proud of herself for this win/win deduction. "Mister Merrill, you're a walking logistical & intelligence nightmare, whenever you see fit to be."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"There are...some assets I left out of that particular briefing," he admitted. "Assets that aren't mine. Look here."

Reams of data appeared; it condensed, with some prodding, to form a series of ratios from Chalacta to Ossus.

"The Mara Corridor is seeded with Omega Protectorate hyperspace monitors to guard against Sith backing up the Confederacy -- though that's obsolete strategy. Those monitors stretch from Void Station to the Perlemian. This chunk here -- about half the Mara -- this is the route the Republic took into Sith space. I've had analysis countin' and monitorin' stuff this whole time, workin' from the data I send to OP. I've got a pretty good idea how much the Republic's committed to that front.

"If you want this kind of information everywhere, there's only one way I can think of it: I go into the space station business. Little cheap ones to compete with the Chaavla. Put gas stations an' truck stops all over Republic space. Maybe I even build in a hyperspace monitor free o'charge. Maybe I even get the Republic to pay for it. If you need intel, and you do, that there's a start.

"You need allies. I'd start lookin' real hard at the other Jedi that've left. There's lists o'names, all secretive folk. I know @[member="Rosa Mazhar"] and @[member="Seroth Ur-Rahn"], got a number for'em. My gut says they know more than they let on, and might be willin' to do more than most."

Aleidis Zrgaat

It wasn't the first time Aleidis had heard Seroth's name, and she decided to take that as a hint that she shouldn't brush it aside as coincidence. "Alright. I'll make it a point to meet with them." Aleidis promised, slipping her hands into the shabby front pocket of her hooded sweatshirt. "Seroth, first. My gut tells me that that's the path to take." Jorus brought a star-crossing financial empire and his experience - all Aleidis had to offer was her disgusting ability to make friends. Hopefully, that talent hadn't completely abandoned her.

"I can't ask you to invest such a hefty sum into building stations across the Galaxy, Mister Merrill - but if you did so? Gosh, I'd sure be thrilled about it." The Ghostling admitted with a cheerful smile, as though he'd just suggested they might go out for ice cream after this little meeting. The disparity between Aleidis Ijet's age and her ambition could be a little jarring at times, if one wasn't used to it. Her sunny disposition didn't help that much.

"What else do you think I can do?" Aleidis asked pointedly, black eyes fixed on her newest friend. "I had a thought to try and track down my Master, but I'm simply rubbish at finding people anymore." The Ghostling admitted. "I don't suppose you've come across the name 'Je'Gan Olra'en' recently?"

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"Well, you say it's investing, and that's the right word to use. I've got an empire of truck stops; I can make more, turn a profit with'em. It's no skin off my nose to boost production an' get those contacts. Nearly every station I run has something like a fifteen-percent profit margin. Won't be too hard to put some of that cash into expansion."

At the mention of her Master, however, his face went tight. "Yeah, I know where he is," he said. "Fether's still flyin' the ship I made him, never had the chance to realize I put one of those Vong comm biots in his nav systems. I've got the mate to that one. Biggest liar in the galaxy, I pulled one over on him, an' I can't find much satisfaction from it. Suffice it to say, there's history there." The holodisplay became a galactic view, not for the first time, and zeroed in on Atrisian space. "Deadly region for a Forcer, so I'm told. But there's a lotta tales, and who knows whether they're true. They say a man with a hat stopped the Fringe invasion of Atrisia by himself. I don't have contacts there. Can't help you much; I'm blind in the Galactic Empire. If he's used his personal ship recently, though, I'll have some coordinates for ya."

Aleidis Zrgaat

Aleidis duly considered this, then nodded. "In time, maybe." She decided. If there was bad blood between Jorus and Je'Gan, then she wasn't about to exacerbate it by forcing them into working together. Nevermind that she was skirting close enough to justifying means as it was - that was practically Je'Gan's motto, and he'd have no issue dirtying their cause to accomplish a task, invalidating the cause in the process. At least he was still alive and keeping busy. Aleidis hadn't had more than a couple words to say to him since he'd taught her to do as she'd asked, and she'd killed a man with the knowledge.

"If you can direct me towards @[member="Seroth Ur-Rahn"] and @[member="Rosa Mazhar"], Mister Merrill, I would be most obliged." The teenager decided quietly. "With any luck, they'll rally to our cause - and within short time, you'll have begun construction of the most expansive automated intelligence market in the Galaxy. Which, for the record, makes me very, very happy I'm your friend and not in your sights." She admitted with a playful smirk, picking her satchel up and slinging it over one shoulder.

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"Somethin' you should know, Alei," he said, and the immense holographic galaxy vanished, leaving the room in half darkness. "I don't hate much. It's bad for my digestion. I don't target individuals unless they make themselves somethin' especially nasty. I don't really set my sights on people so much as on institutions, groups, whatever. Now, sure, that makes it easier for me to kill, an' that's probably not ideal. That said, I'm prepared to hold a grudge against the Republic, same as I hold one against just about every government that kills the innocent."

He rooted around in one of his desk's secret compartments, and came up with a datachit. "The number for Seroth and Rosa is on here. That's a big ol' secret, right there, but tell'em who you are straight up, and tell'em I sent you, and you should be fine."

Aleidis Zrgaat

"I suppose that makes us opposite in a regard, Mister Merrill." Aleidis admitted with a tiny smile. "I view a Government like I view a speeder - if it's careening out of control, blame the pilot, deal with the pilot. It only does what it's directed to do." She explained quietly. "But I fear I may need to adopt a bit of your thinking to get through this with my sanity intact. Light knows that I've put Codi through enough of a wringer with my causes and crusades."

The teenager gratefully accepted the datachit, then bowed politely. A gesture of respect between Force Users, partners, between a teacher and student, it mattered not. In her heart, Aleidis Ijet thought of herself as a Jedi - an instrument of good and peace in the Galaxy, regardless of what banner she had to do it under. Jorus Merrill had just joined her inner circle, and for that, the only gesture of respect suitable was a bow. It wasn't like she could shake his hand.

"I'll let you know what comes to pass, Mister Merrill." The teenager promised with a cheerful (and somewhat forced) smile. "Thank you for your help and advice. I'll be in touch?"

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"Yeah, keep me in the loop," he said, pretending that he hadn't just flinched toward a reflexive handshake. He sat back down and turned on the display. A holographic galaxy filled the office again, and he leaned the chair back. "I don't know how much I can promise at this stage -- oh. There's one more thing." The chair back came up again. "I don't know what you're flyin' these days, but take one of my ships if you like, a new layer o'cover. A Washburn's got a false telesponder array built in. Or there's a Jo'henry -- those suckers are built off a cargo hauler that's fething near ubiquitous."

Aleidis Zrgaat

Given a choice between a mining ship and the moving house that was the Washburn, it was hardly surprising which one the girl who'd been living out of a box in a beat-up old shuttle gravitated towards. Hell, she was nearly drooling over it. "You'd just... give us a ship, Mister Merrill? Just like that? Thank you so much!" Aleidis exclaimed brightly, eyes lighting up in an ecstatic grin, as though this were the best gift she'd ever been given. Which, to be honest, it was - Jedi didn't really make a habit of fancy gifts, and since being a Jedi, anyone who'd give Aleidis gifts had been pretty resolutely poor. As poor as she was, in fact.

Biting her fingernail, looking temporarily unsure and self-conscious, Aleidis carefully regarded the schematics for the Washburn-class. "Is this one, uh, hard to fly?" She asked carefully, almost apologetically. Neither she nor Codi had set out from Datar knowing how to pilot anything larger than a bicycle, and Aleidis' beat up old Protocol droid had done most of the work ferrying them around the Galaxy. Aleidis was doing her best to learn what to do alongside the droid, but it was a poor teacher and made for slow, frustrating lessons. "Will my A7M-3 be able to pilot it, do you think?"

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]'s unfeigned gratitude brought a grin to the tired spacer's face. "One set o'hands can fly a Washburn easy enough. Best is five. You, your friend and your droid should be enough to do a good job of it. 'Bout the same size as a Jo'henry, maybe a quarter the cargo lift capacity but a lot more amenities. When I built it, I kept thinkin' about folks that move around with their whole families. I wanted the Washburn t'be just like that, just like what I grew up with. It's meant t'be home. Now, sure, I mean, none o'that really changes anything about how it runs or what it does. I just think you'll end up likin' yours as much as I would, is all. And yeah, she's yours. Got her in dock right around the corner. Sunrider, she's called, with a false telesponder as reads Solid Sunrise. She'll serve you well."

He fished out the keys and tossed them on the desk. "Rode that ship outside the galaxy once or twice. Keep her tidy and she'll take you anywhere."

Aleidis Zrgaat

Aleidis scooped the keys up and grinned brightly, thinking of all the wonderful, amazing, awesome space she'd have to do things in. Codi couldn't care less if they had a proper kitchen, but... she could have a garden again! And cook REAL food! And stretch out when she slept! Oh, the wonderful things she could do with just a bit more floor space!

"Thank you ever so much, Mister Merrill - you won't regret this. I'll take good care of the Sunrider. I promise." Aleidis gushed, with a smile that could light the depths of space. "And when we're properly situated, Codi and I are going to treat you and yours to the best meal we can!" She added genuinely, for all good things on Datar - as in life - were celebrated with food. Gratitude, elation, camaraderie, you name it, and it was a good opportunity for a feast.

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

A bit of a shadow crossed his face. "Wouldn't mind havin' something besides tomo-spiced Karkan ribenes," he said. "Wife cooks for me when I get out to see her, but Force knows I could use some decent food in the between times. I'll have to take you up on that. And yeah, I know you'll take good care of her. She's a good ship..."

He trailed off, thinking of dark skin and the color yellow, and didn't notice when he gave half a smile. "Anyway," he said at last. "Better get to it. Galaxy won't save itself, Alei."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom