Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where Worlds Collide

dark-city-23052-1366x768.jpg

The Capital
Cambria, Cambrian System

Tzameron Shel'tah leant forward over the flat boulder he was laid on, watching the fire burning below. The fire had been started by insurgents, a few names he had agreed to help get onto the Sith planet which was once his home and simply cause trouble.

Show them that not everyone was going to bend in line to authority, especially not Sith. While Zam wasn't a powerful warrior even though he knew what the Force was and how it could be used, a good blaster at your side and a wealth of knowledge about where you are and your surroundings was worth more than a lightsaber.

His lethan complexion, something he knew was a mutation of his genes, only added to the reasons he was never classed as a favourite in his family. She was. Still, no point dwelling on the past. Blue eyes gazed down into the city, a small lake running through with barges moored up and large buildings on all sides.

He would wait for the signal before starting his own fire, and to take down anyone standing in his way. Why? Because he'd get some credits from the man paying the team, and it would bolster HIS name amongst the crowds, not hers. Tapping his fingers gently as he watched the fire snapping and crackling and sending smoke twirling upwards, he watched for any retaliation or trouble.

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

Cambria was a dangerous place to be these days. It saddened her, to think of the home she was now exiled from solely by association to the Jedi. Home. Home was Ossus now. Despite that, she always had that special place in her heart for Cambria and her family's home. Even still, she searched along the millions of star systems searching for [member="Tzameron Shel'tah"], a brother that had abandoned her for reasons unknown to her. She wanted to hate him for it. She wanted to find him so she could scream at him, to tell him how unfair it was that he had up and left his home, family, and her without so much as a good-bye. She also wanted to know he was still alive. The fear of the unknown was the worst of it. What had become of him? Did he hate her?

She shook the thoughts from her mind momentarily as she heard the screams of folks as they charged past her down the streets of the city. An orange glow gave way to a small inferno as it raged from just a few blocks away. Without hesitation she began to run towards the blaze, darting between civilians as they blocked her path towards the fray while they scrambled past her to safety. A couple of high jumps assisted by the Force and she would land ever so gracefully just outside of the building that had been set ablaze. She was no Kel-Dor, therefore had no respirator to aide her, but she could hold her breath for a steady few minutes, and so she darted into the building, scouring for those trapped within and assisting them with escaping the towering inferno.

[member="Tzameron Shel'tah"]

It was a strange feeling – the planet brought back memories and feelings of his sister stronger than expected, and it didn’t particularly please him. This was his time; his life, and the planet had changed since they were children and since he left especially, so why was she in his head again. He frowned, focusing on the streets below, com in hand. It soon crackled to life.

"We got attention – move to street level and leave messages. Next call, we move out."

With a satisfied nod of the head, Zam pushed up from the ground, his SSX blaster by his side and started down the steep incline to the city. Loose rock and earth fell from under his feet as his hand stretched out as a counter lever to keep him up, and in a few moments the shouts and commotion increased in volume and the panic was swelling.

Was he a criminal? No. A terrorist? Not quite. A freedom fighter? Of course not – what was he, he didn’t know. All he knew was he had been asked to help leave a message for those out to bully their way through his home world, and he wasn’t going to let authority bully him anymore.

The two buildings on fire, near opposite each other, were a mighty sight to behold on ground level, and a few police agents were trying to contain the panic, and even what looked like Imperial officers were stationed around the area keeping people back and battling troublemakers. It seemed the Sith had their own armies and commanders doing the dirty work while they simply barrelled into planets and left it to everyone else to clean up after them as they moved to the next system.

The fire reflecting in his eyes, Zam smirked and scrambled across the street, pushing past on-lookers beside the waterway. He ran into an officer, and straight away shoulder barged him into the water, his shouts muffled by the water as Zam disappeared into the crowd to wait for another person or place he could disrupt. The two other contacts were here also in the city, but he wasn’t sure where.

Again, Sera came to his mind and he felt – it was a strange feeling – as if she was affected by his actions, and in pain at what he was doing. Why should she care? Was this something due to them being siblings and joined with the Force? Zam didn’t understand, but it was irritating.

As the Twi'lek emerged from the fire engulfed structure she sat the human girl she had carried down on the ground and smiled. "It's going to be alright now. You're safe." Though as she finished speaking, the tiny hairs along the back of her neck and spine stood on end, covering her body in an almost indistinguishable shake, at least to the naked eye. She'd not felt that in a long time. She wasn't quite sure what it was, it came and went on occasion when she was out on missions, but never fully understood the reason behind it.

Though as she turned her head to address the added commotion in the street at the sound of someone yelling before it was followed by a splash, the tell-tale sound of someone falling into the water. Her eyes darted side to side and she caught the glimpse of a red-skinned twi'lek as he shoved his way through the crowd. She couldn't catch a good look at him as he was enveloped by the dense crowd of gathering spectators, and in an instant he was gone.

It was hard to argue with your gut, and hers beckoned to follow the man. Whether it was that he was the culprit of the fires, or something else she could not tell, but she quickly rose again to her feet and darted off and after him through the crowd, following in his footsteps as she tried to keep an eye on the man's form as he waded through the streets with a purpose.

Zam pushed through the on-lookers, avoiding looks from officials as the city started to burn behind him. Speeders passed overhead as well as fire ships to douse the blaze before it spread. That feeling was there again, and he felt eyes on him.

Moving faster, he edged towards the rear of the current group he was in and stood, looking down at the ground but keeping his eyes up to see the feet of those around him. He waited, and at the precise moment he felt a sharp twinge in the Force inside his head, he saw boots move to him and stop – signalling enough of a warning he had been followed.

The Twi’lek thrust out his elbow in a sharp twist to hopefully smack whoever had followed him across the face, hand lunging out to grab any clothing to start a vicious defence attack to push them to the ground before he made his escape.

Sera raced to follow the red skinned Twi'lek, sliding between a number of other folks running the opposite direction, maintaining her sight on the man that looked more than anything to be fleeing the scene, or on his way to another job. She still wasn't sure whether or not he had actually set the blazes, or was a lookout, or some kind of intel runner for the group, if one existed, but she needed to find out who he was, and what he was involved in. As she breached the crowd she came to find the man had made a sudden and complete stop and thrust his arm back with a violent intent. Sera hadn't noticed that he picked up on her following him, and even less so expected the elbow to come. When she tried to halt herself there simply wasn't enough time, and her face collided with the other Twi'lek with a thud.

She would have stumbled backwards and possibly fallen to the ground from the initial shock and impact, but he had already snapped up the front of her vest in a tight grip that prevented her from going much of anywhere, let alone falling over. He was a bit larger than she, and certainly possessed more muscles. Not entirely sure with what he was planning on doing she made no immediate movements or aggressive behavior, instead simply looked at him with a curious, almost knowing gaze.

The victim of the hit was a Byzantium Twi’lek with green eyes, dark and full who stood shorter than Zam but dressed in identifiable Jedi robing. That sensation he had before was strong now standing amidst a group of concerned onlooker around them waiting for a fight to break out after the scuffle. Everything seemed to make sense in that moment – there was only one Twi’lek he know of this size and colour.

His eyes narrowed, face contorting into slight confusion.

”Sera?”

Orders from officers walking down the streets were getting louder, and they caught Zam’s attention, who quickly cursed as he looked to the one who could be…no, it wasn’t, was it…? He grabbed her arm and moved with purpose to the side, under the hang of a large building.

”Seraphina Shel’tah. Is that your name?”

The two Twi'leks stared at one another for a few moments, and even when he called her name twice, she couldn't convince her vocal chords to release a single sound. Her mouth simply hung open, her eyes staring blankly at the man longer than anyone would find comfortable. She was lost in herself. He knew her name, not just her nickname that most had become known to calling her, the one given to her as a kid, but her entire name as well. Her lips trembled as her eyes looked down to the ground, then back up to him as he moved her to the aside.

"That...That's my name...Za...Zam?" Her voice sounded almost afraid to say his name. She wasn't entirely sure if she wanted herself to be correct or not. Her eyes shifted again and she looked him in the eyes. She wanted to say so much, but the words refused to come. She just stood there staring into his eyes, with a dumbfounded look on her face as the crowd began to grow larger. Sirens of rescue and law enforcement droids were getting close as they stood by.

He’d been in chaotic situations before, learnt to blend in a little, to use distraction and the environment as an advantage. Now, however, facing his little sister Sera…nothing else mattered right now. The lights of the ships above reflected off them both in the night light, crowds dispersing around them and being shunted back.

Their eyes were fixed on each other and Zam didn’t know what to do or what to say. He wanted to push her away, but wanted to hug her. He hated her and their family, but was happy she was alive and well. But, clearly, still a slave to the Jedi.

She spoke his nickname he had from youth and one that only he gave out for others to use if he wanted them to. Sera still looked as upset, unassured and weak as she had when they had their last argument where she had split his lip with a good hard slap. Karma had a funny way of working.

Dragging his eyes to the fires down the street, his comlink crackled.

"I said move to the South and get the hell out, heat’s picking up. Good work Shel’tah, I’ll be in touch."

Zam ignored it.

”I thought you would be dead by now, sis.”

He couldn’t help it – he moved and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in for a hug and squeezing her tight as he rested his head on top of her lekku gently. She’d found him – but…why?

The sound of the voice on Zam's comm snapped her out of her spaced out stare. And as she listened to the voice her eyes twisted and narrowed, looking back at him with a certain pained expression, that she knew what that message was in reference too. Zam's own followup made her feel no better than the stranger's voice by what he said, almost cordially, like he had long ago thrown his entire life away, and she still had no idea what for. Why did he hate her so much?

"Why?" She didn't move as he embraced her, her arms hung low at her sides as she felt him against the top of her head. "Why would I be dead? No, the real question is why are you doing this? Here of all places? What happened to you?" Her voice started to pick up in volume as she began to feel the last decade of bottled emotion coming to a head. "This is our home, Zam! Why!? Why are you burning it to the ground!?" She was almost at shouting level but still she continued without giving him an opportunity to speak. She had so much to say and couldn't control the order of it coming out.

"Do you have any idea how long I have been looking for you!? You left me! Our parents! And for what!?" She gestured with her hand, a single finger pointed in the direction of the blaze that he and his pals had started. "For this!? To burn people's property to the ground and potentially kill people!? Why!?"

Sera’s unresponsiveness was evident, both in her physical state and rising voice – strong emotions were felt, and it must be the Force that bonded them that made it clear she wasn’t happy. That, or the shouting and moaning she was doing. Zam let go of her and stood still, letting her shout question after question. She still acted, and looked, like the dumb little sister after all this time.

”Knock it off. Stop being embarrassing to yourself. This isn’t our home anymore, look around! This galaxy isn’t the same anymore – we have no HOME!”

He span around her, almost trying to intimidate and affirm his authority as if all the years past had been nothing but hours.

”I’ve been here over the years. You haven’t. I’ve seen what the Sith and Jedi have done. You haven’t. Well, you have because you’ve been part of it – systematically following each other and destroying everything you come across in one way or another – cities, planets, life – whatever.”

Zam stuck a finger at her.

”You’re lucky to be alive working with the Jedi, that’s why you should be dead by now. So, thanks for being in the wrong place at the wrong time while I try to fight fire with fire and show the Sith and Jedi those who they hurt aren’t going to take it anymore.”

He lowered his finger and started into her eyes. His skin bristled and his head shook gently.

”You’re not my sister.”

The girl's brows furrowed as she glared at Zam's response to having no home. The more he talked, the more she could feel the bitter sting of anger coming from him. Her head followed his movements as he circled around her a few times, though she remained in place, her eyes keeping focus on his while he continued to talk to down to her like she were still his kid sister.

"You're wrong, Zam. This..." Her hands circled around the area rapidly. "Is our home! It may be the home you abandoned, the family you left behind, the memories you threw away! But it is still our home!" Her hands dropped back to their sides as he halted his circling. "Burning it to the ground? You think that helps the people of Cambria? You're destroying lives. The Sith are nothing but conquerors who want to rule the galaxy and the people themselves! You have no idea of what you speak! The Jedi are protectors of the Republic! We don't rule planets, we don't conquer people, and least of all, we don't burn cities to the ground!"

She shook her head in disbelief at what he was saying to her. How could he be so blind to believe that the Jedi were hurting people? "Why do you have to be so thick headed!? You would endanger and kill innocent people to make a point to the Sith? Do you hear how stupid that sounds!? The Sith don't care if we kill each other! They honor slavery! They honor their kind being brutes. They honor their Lords and Knights with gifts for killing. You are accusing ME of hurting people? I have almost died, several times, in service to the Republic, for the citizens, to prevent pain and cruel rulers from oppressing them."

Her hand twitched when he denounced her as being his family. Her hand raised, she wanted to slap him, perhaps knock some sense into him, but she didn't. Her eyes closed and she shook her head as it sunk towards the ground. "What happened to you?"

As she prattled on, Zam looked around and didn’t like being so close to the action, especially with the enforcement officers around and those gleaming Stormtroopers dotted around as the crews began to round up those loitering. He looked back to Sera, listening intently but aware of the situation he was in.

She was in a mood to sulk, which was fine, but not here.

”Get over here,” he said, grabbing her arm gently and hurrying deeper past the crowd and to a side street that joined other main roads together. As the commotion was keeping people busy, few speeders passed and they had a little more privacy and the high walls of the buildings around them for now.

”You know why I left all those years ago? You. You are the reason I left. I hated you. You know what,” he playfully tapped his chin, ” I think I still do because see what you did? You assumed – ASSUMED – because I was here that I’ve set fire to the buildings.”

He smacked his lips together and winced.

”I’m the one navigating the streets. I brought them here, the safest and quickest way. Yeah, the getaway driver. That’s it. I didn’t set anything on fire nor did I know what they were going to do. At least not to that extent.”

Looking up for some strength that wasn’t there, he sighed and looked down to her. So pretty, but so different to what he remembered.

”What happened to me? I lost everything because of Dad wanting to give YOU the best chance in life when that Force power came up. No time for Zam anymore, it’s all about Sera. Do you know how that makes a child feel? I had nothing and I never once was approached by anyone asking about me when I left. I had to survive on my own with the street rats while you lived in a temple and had all that shit with the Jedi handed on a plate. I know more about this galaxy than you do because I’ve seen both sides, and this war is a result of your Jedi and those Sith constantly vying for supremacy.”

Zam looked her up and down.

”You know what? I think you’re more alone than I ever have been. Get out of my life Sera because you were never meant to be in it!”

The last few words were unexpectedly shouted, and he backed away, turning to walk away from her before he succumbed to the gut-punch of seeing her again and feeling like he wasn’t actually alone anymore.

Her feet shuffled in tow as he grabbed her arm again and yanked her further along the street to continue the conversation. The sudden and forced pulling disturbed her slightly. She hadn't been pulled around and forced about like that since they were kids, and nobody else had ever done that to her aside from their parents and him. "You...Hated me?" Her eyes twitched slightly, like she had just been stung by a needle. "I was a kid, Zam! I am younger than you! Or did you somehow forget that!? I didn't choose for this to happen to me. I didn't ask for it. And I didn't want to leave home. They sent me away! They sent me to Ossus, and you left me too! And you hate me!? For something I had no control over!? How is that my fault?"

Sera shrugged, her head shaking with her eyes shut. "You are here. You didn't try and stop them. If you're the getaway driver you knew they were going to do something stupid, and you went along with it anyway. How is that any better? Why don't you ever think before you do stupid things? That's why Dad was always hard on you, because you never think before you do things."

Her head snapped back up once he began to back away and yelled at her. "Nothing was handed to me! I've spent my entire life since leaving home training! I had no other choice! What was I to do, Zam? You never came looking for me, but I've searched for you for years! Every spaceport, every city, every town I've asked about you! And every time I got close, you slipped away! I've tried so hard to find you, and all you can say is that you hate the one person who does still care!?"

The lids of her eyes began to feel damp as she held back what she could of her emotion, feeling like everything she had done to find him was entirely wasted, and the person she thought he was had long ago died. "You're right. I am alone. Thanks to you." She sighed, leaning herself against the cold duracrete wall of the building just behind her and sunk down, her legs folding beneath her as she sat on the ground, her head resting between her knees.

He'd made it a good few steps before he felt the Force bond between them flicker, like baby mynocks in his stomach going crazy. She was right - he had been the one who ran away, he had made choices. But, the choices were his and he made footsteps through history, no matter how big or small - he had changed things, forever, regardless of what side of the law he was on. He had done that all on his own.

Stopping and gently hitting the building beside him in defeat, an exhausted sigh left his lethan lips. Why now?! Why had Sera come here now? When they weren't looking - they had found each other, but were so different more than either could have dared imagine.

Zam turned, seeing his sister looking frail and alone. He hated these tacky situations where one couldn't follow through on a threat. It was his turn. He walked to her and sat down beside her, the damp wall cool on his back beneath his top.

”Age doesn't matter when you feel you've lost your best friend, Sera.”

He glanced left to see distant reflections of red and yellow flashing lights from the main street.

"I ran away with the desire to come back, but I never did because the city gave me something else to focus on other than thinking about you being a Jedi and being so proud to Mom and Dad...and me? Well it was hard. I've had no-one to look out for me for over 10 years, more so. Just me. And you know, I have been involved with bad people and good people but if I can help them for the right price then I will. To survive.”

Leaning his head on the wall, he turned to her.

”I just can't believe...you're here, tonight. Why now? Why here?”

HIs words were so confusing to her. It's like she couldn't put it together in her mind how he could be so vastly different from what she had remembered as a child. Was she simply naive when she was so young? Had he always really been this way? Or did the galaxy change him? Mold him into what was needed of him at the time, and reward that necessity with credits? She wasn't entirely sure, but either way, it didn't sit right with her. She wanted the brother she knew back. Somewhere, he was locked away inside that cold hard stare, and brash attitude. She found him, yes, but it seemed now that it was the easier of the tasks at hand now.

"So you're just a mercenary? You have no morals? As long as someone hands you a credchit at the end of the day you're happy to help burn cities to the ground in the name of the highest bidder? That's what the city gave to you? This?" She gestured with her hand as her head raised up slightly to look at him and the surroundings. "So this is the product of your anger with me? Your anger towards your younger sibling who had no choice or say in her life? You hate me because of something I couldn't control? All this time, and it was me?"

She shook her head slowly, feeling incredibly stupid, naive, and childish. "You don't know how long I spent crying myself to sleep, night after night, month after month, just wondering when you would show up, or come home, or just find some way of telling me you were OK. Nothing. I got nothing. I've had a knot in my chest since you left that nothing would untangle. And now here you are, the complete opposite of what I remember, and not only that, I am the reason for everything. How ironic is that?" A half smile that was clearly forced displayed across her face as she bit the inside of her mouth to subdue to the tears welling in her eyes. "I don't know what to say."

He looked at his knees, the dark sheen to his trousers attracting his fingers to pick at, to nervously fidget; avoiding the harsh words from his sister.

”Look. It doesn’t matter to be honest. You found your way with the Jedi and you had everything you needed. I had to go, I lost everything when I saw the bonds change between us as a family. Where would I have been had I stayed?”

Zam shrugged.

”Don’t know. And yes I do work for anyone who can use me but it’s not all this sort of stuff, I don’t take pleasure in it, you idiot. I’ve done piloting work at times, small smuggling, escort – whatever helps me live. I’ve nothing else, so I just…do.”

Looking at her, it was evident there was nothing he could say or do that would make things better. Not that he felt he had to, but at the end of the day he didn’t want her to beat herself up.

”It’s not all your fault, ok? But, just lighten up a little and understand it from my side for a minute. I know it was tough for you but your future was handed on a plate – all this Jedi stuff. I have seen you, y’know, over the years – holovids and reports. You’re one big Jedi cult now and everyone knows the heroes. You, that Grandmaster girl, some other guys and one with a scary mask – now and then you see faces, and I’ve seen yours. I’ve smiled, and I’ve just had to forget.”

He clasped his fingerless gloves and tapped his boots on the damp stone floor.

”So. What you doing here? Saving the planet with your Jedi friends or here on a mission of mercy?”

She sighed. What more could she say to make him understand? "You act as though being a Jedi is some wondrous, glamorous, celebrity job. There is no silver platter. I worked day and night for years. I traveled to planets where I nearly froze to death simply to acquire a couple of crystals to make these lightsabers. I've fought in countless wars against the Sith to prevent their constant invasions, with little success mind you. I'm not some Sith hunting machine who has orders to destroy anything and everything to find them. We're here, quietly, to defend the Republic, and when the time comes, we stand in front of the Republic, to die for people like you."

Her shoulders lifted, then dropped back in a shrug. It seemed like no matter what she said he would simply believe that her life had been this magical, glorious party that everyone sang her praises to, chanting in glee every day, and where nothing bad could have ever come of her being a Jedi, like that was some sort of prized trophy for being a special snowflake. "There's no payment for that, there's no recognition for it, no glamor or fame. We do it because we have to, because nobody else can. If living under the rule of the Sith is something you are for, then I hope you can look all of the people they oppress, kill, and enslave in the face and tell them that the Sith rule is better."

Her eyes rolled as he told her to lighten up, the one thing she couldn't do was exactly what he wanted of her. "Lighten up? You're telling me to lighten up after having spent over a decade searching for you, only to find out that you've become a street rat mercenary. I must really mean little to you, that you were able to recognize me, knew where I was, yet couldn't be bothered to give me the satisfaction of knowing you were at least OK. All I ever did as a kid was follow you around and try to get you to pay attention to me. How can you ask me to understand it from your side if all you wanted to do was keep it all hidden by never seeing me again? And no, I am here because I wanted to see for myself what the Sith brought to Cambria."

His sibling lowered her eyes in deep thought, before they turned and looked into his own. "Apparently, they brought you. I don't know whether to thank them or arrest you. Tell me, what do you think I should do?"

Her deflection was getting boring, and Zam was clearly not impressed with the way Sera continued to turn it all around and make out she had a hard life. He leant back a little, turning to look at her with an unimpressed look on his face at her words that had leaped right from the book of the Jedi way.

”What do you mean they brought? The Sith didn’t bring me, I was here acting with others to oppose the Sith rule – mainly the men in the white suits, I don’t care for anything else they do. That’s Jedi business, when they’re not moping and feeling sorry for themselves. If you lot can’t do it properly then it’s down to normal people like me who’ve faced hard-ship to do it our way.”

He shuffled along the wall, moving away so he could look at her.

”I don’t care what the Jedi have done to you; you had security and a future placed before you and you had support and encouragement and training and everything else to become…” he waved his hand at her, ”…this. And how did you want me to contact you? Search all Jedi outposts across the galaxy asking for you? Please, I wasn’t that…”

Looking up at the night sky, he shook his head to stop himself saying something harsh, and flexed his fingers.

”Do what you want – do what your Jedi code demands of you. Do what the Force tells you. It’s gotten you this far, so why not follow through? Try and arrest me and I’ll just get away because you won’t hand big brother over to the nasty men now will you. ”

"Just how thick-headed are you, Zam? You can't fight the Sith by destroying things that don't matter to them! Would you burn our home to the ground with us inside it? Why don't you ever think before you act!?" Nothing he said was making any kind of sense to her, and she was beginning to wonder what exactly happened to him since being gone for so long. She watched as he moved away slightly and continued to ridicule her for having some kind of fancy, extravagant lifestyle while he was left to the harsh elements of the galaxy that he brought upon himself. "You could have had what you wanted once I was gone. The spotlight, since apparently this whole thing spawned from nothing but petty jealousy over me. Once I left, you could have gone back to being their one and only. I guess you couldn't handle sharing that with me, and no matter how much I try to make you understand it's of little use, since you clearly can't fathom that I had no say in whether or not I was born the way I was."

Her lips curled as he held his tongue from finishing the following sentence, insinuating how pathetic she was for having searched for him for so long. "You weren't that what? Say it, Zam. Tell me how worthless I am for spending a decade of my life searching across countless star systems for you, when you could have went to Ossus, or Ruusan, hell, you could have even gone to Onderon and asked any of the Jedi enclaves for assistance in finding me, being my brother I know they would have obliged. You could have found me, if you spent one tenth of the energy looking that I spent to find you. Now? I don't even know why I bothered. All I wanted was to know you were safe, to know you were OK, and that you were still my brother." Her hands fell to her sides as she let the last bit of words roll from her tongue, drained of the will to argue with him anymore.

"But you will have to answer for your part in this crime, Tzameron Shel'tah."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom