Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Where the Wild Things Are

"I do enjoy talking to you, Cerrik."

Violet said it with such simple sincerity that she didn't immediately consider whether his teasing had called for anything less direct. When she did, a faint warmth touched her expression, but she made no attempt to take the admission back.

She listened as he described Lew'el, finding herself increasingly able to picture the place through him rather than through anything she might eventually find in an archive. The ocean, the islands, fishermen arguing over whose methods were best. It was precisely what she'd meant when she had said she wanted to know the people who made a world what it was.

"Fishing to you sounds a little like gardening to me." Violet smiled thoughtfully. "Not the actual fishing part, obviously. Just being able to look at something you've known your entire life and understand it without really thinking about how you know."

She gave a small shrug, searching for the right way to explain it.

"To be able to just tell when something needs more water, or when a plant isn't doing well before there's anything obviously wrong with it. I never thought that was particularly interesting growing up. It was just part of home."

Her violet eyes returned to him.

"Now you've made me curious whether I'd understand anything about your ocean at all."

Cerrik Cerrik
 
Cerrik listened with the same quiet attentiveness he'd shown throughout their walk, though her final words brought a slightly more pronounced smile to his face.

"I think you would." He glanced toward her, his eyes carrying a spark of amusement. His gaze lingered for a moment longer than necessary before returning to the path. "Although I should warn you, understanding the ocean isn't quite as easy as understanding a garden."

A beat. "The ocean is considerably less forgiving when you make a mistake." His smile widened. "Though after watching you stand in front of an angry drexl, I'm beginning to suspect you might enjoy the challenge."

He glanced sideways at her. "And if you really want to find out, I could show you. Take you out on the water. Show you the currents. Let you see Lew'el the way I knew it growing up."

His expression softened. "There's a particular point between two of the islands where the water becomes almost perfectly clear. You can see straight down into the reefs. My family used to take me there when I was young. I think you'll like it."

Violet Charr Violet Charr
 
Violet caught the lingering glance, though she wasn't entirely certain what to make of it yet. She knew the invitation felt different this time. Cerrik wasn't simply suggesting she visit his homeworld someday. He was offering to show her something that belonged to his memories of it, a place his family had taken him when he was young. Somehow that made Lew'el seem less like another world on an ever-growing list and more like somewhere she genuinely wanted to see.

"You know, you keep warning me about the ocean while simultaneously making it sound more appealing." Her smile carried a hint of challenge. "I'm beginning to think you're doing a very poor job of discouraging me."

She imagined clear water stretching between islands, reefs visible beneath the surface, and Cerrik beside her pointing out currents that would otherwise mean nothing to her. The image came surprisingly easily.

"I'd like that." There was no teasing in those words. Violet met his gaze, letting the sincerity of the answer stand on its own. "I'd like to see Lew'el with you. Especially somewhere that meant something to you growing up."

A softer smile followed before she glanced toward the jungle ahead.

"Although now I feel I should warn you that if you teach me how to read the currents, I'm going to ask far too many questions." She gave a small shrug. "You already know what my curiosity is like. At that point, whatever happens is really your own fault."

Cerrik Cerrik
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom