Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Where Rivers Flow

The City of Mercuitie
Ámathosi Desert
Zaathru

It was high time that Arcturus stretched his legs and ventured out into the realm he'd recently claimed as his. The Ámathosi Desert was vast, it stretched up toward the coast, softening some into grasslands where the Grotto could be found, and chipping off into the islands which housed the great Mount Pele, to say nothing of the somewhat sickly river which ran through the center. A river he most definitely intended on fixing in due time. There was an island at its center, and he longed to see a City raised in his honour. His own seat here... A secondary home for his children.
For now? Well, for now it was best he keep scoping things out.
He'd walked the first few miles, steadily along the river, when a trade boat surprised him by passing on by. Arcturus had hailed down the Captain of what was little more than a primitive barge, asking where he was heading to, and from. The Captain, a Shaal he soon discovered to be named Eclyptus, was a little reluctant at first, but when it was made known that he stood in the presence of Desdinova, one of two chief gods of the Zaathruan Pantheon, he hastily welcomed him onboard.
Show, it was so much better than tell especially in situations such as these.
It was a nice leisurely drift down the river, before mountains rose up. A small lake had settled at the base of it, water flowing down from a mountain spring above, pushing them further downstream. He wasn't sure what to expect, but when a city nestled into the valley of the mountain arose he was greatly surprised. Fondly surprised, even.
"Mercuitie, Yuor Holiness," Eclyptus said, with a soft gesture of his hand. "Great Trade City of Zaathri and Shaal alike." And yes he saw it, the two races working in perfect harmony, almost like clockwork. The river was shared by both, some crews made up of a mixture of the two, and everything in the air just felt... Soft. Not soft weak, but soft amicable. Where so often he found strife among the primitive settlements of Zaathru, here it seemed as though the opposite were true.
The boat stopped ahead of a watergate, wherein guards checked those incoming, as well as their wares. More than that, weapons were being taken to one side, the owner of each meticulously noted, their weapons tagged, in order to be reunited once they left. Arcturus almost laughed to see it, a great sense of mirth washing over him.
"A City of Trade and Peace?" he quipped, "Here, on Zaathru?"
"Work of the Contra-Asul" Eclyptus retorted with a proud nod.
"Contra-Asul?" His brows furrowed, "A leader chosen not by strength?"
Eclyptus shook his head. "His Holiness would claim he is no leader at all." Holiness... Arcturus' eyes narrowed. Another God? Oh, Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn was going to see red. Luckily this was still Arcturus' domain, the realm of Desdinova, so it fell on him to see matters amicably resolved.
"And which Divine is seated here, pray tell?"
"His Holiness, Mercurius" Eclyptus stated, as he temporarily stepped off the barge and gestured for Arcturus to do the same - which he did. "God of Trade, Prosperity, and---"
"Bargaining. Yes, I am familiar the grace of Mercurius. Perhaps you might bring me to him?"
The Shaal shook his head. "No, Your Holiness, but speak with one of the guards and they'll see you to him."
"You've been of great help, Eclyptus. If you're ever up river and you happen across what is soon to be the Capital of Ámathosi, I would have you in my halls to dine."
Each bowed to the other, and then Arcturus wandered to one of the guards. At first he was stopped cold, an obvious outsider given that he was neither Zaathri or Shaal, then told to part with his weapons. Arcturus handed over all but the dagger, which earned him a grunt and a reminder that no weapons were permitted.
"I cannot part with it," he stated, "It is a divine relic which can never be far from my hand." The guard laughed, snatched it from its place on Arcturus' belt, and then walked away to see it logged. He hadn't gone too far when the dagger disappeared from the Shaal's hand and reappeared in Arcturus'.
"What trickery is this?" he asked, brandishing one of the few weapons permitted inside the walls, a halberd.
"No trickery, friend."
"Who are you?"
Arcturus tipped up his chin slightly. "Desdinova; I have given all the weapons that I can, but as I say this is a bound relic. Now, I would meet with your leader, or... quasi-leader? The great Mercurius."
The Shaal's already greyish skin turned paler as Arcturus named himself the God of the Underworld. He looked this way and that, then dragged a Zaathri messenger by the arm to one side and whispered words in their ear. The Zaathri hurried off.
"Forgive me, Holy One, we will see Mercurius brought here, if he wills it, so that he can decide."
This time Arcturus did laugh. "Oh, you will, will you?" One slender brow rose, and the Shaal took a step back.
"S-Simply protocol, Your Holiness, I---"
"It'd be on your head if you just let me waltz on in. I understand. Now, where am I supposed to wait exactly?"
In the end he was ushered into a side room, given a comfortable seat, offerings of food and wine, none of which he turned away, and it was there he waited, lounging leisurely as though he had all the time in the world.

Last edited:
The Garden of Bounty
The Grand Ziggurat of Mercurius
The City of Mercuitie

Darien inhaled the air. It was redolent with the scent of herbs. The finest pollen-producing blooms growing together with the leaves that produced the tea served in his great halls of peaceful discussion. It was normally such a busy place high as it was. The first place that any who climbed the many stairs of his home reached.​
Home. It was strange to think of this place as home. It was so alien to the life he had known growing up. He had not seen another human face in many years. Yet this was home to him now. A place he had built and kept safe through a mix of doing as the planet's two peoples wanted and doing things which they could not even contemplate. New things that only a god could think up. That was what he was now. A divine being. He knew that it was not true, that he was no more divine than any other but it was convenient and he had learned the lesson well from his father. If something kept you in power and did no harm do not seek to refute it. To lose power was to die.​
So despite all the steps people came. To feed on the bounty his Divine wisdom bought for them. perhaps they lingered hoping to see him too but he did not like to be seen. Even feeling as cut off from the problems of the galaxy as he now did Darien still felt disquieted amongst a throng of people. They could see him on their Holy days when he watched their festivities and held an audience. That would be enough. His co-rulers seemed to think it fitting. To look too much upon prosperity made people covetous.​
So when he wanted to use the garden it was cleared for him. Great and small ushered from its meticulously laid turf and blooms. Down the great stone stairs or into the heart of the building to grant him peace. No one was to disturb him. To talk to him in the absence of his two speakers was to dishonour him and his tribe. It robbed him of his protection and his speakers of their hard-won place. Their absence protected him from all but the most urgent or insistent interruptions.​
He felt safe enjoying his tea and an hour in the afternoon sun. There was never silence in Mercuitie, the city never slept an ever-turning wheel of trade and discussion to honour him but he was experiencing as close to silence outdoors as he could get. so Distant was hie from the Bazaar set out around him. Crammed in.​
They were running out of space unless they expanded out beyond the protection of the valley or built high into the air. He had seen such on coruscant and he had no desire to repeat it here. Yet the city was already so big. Was expanding out any better? The two native rulers could not agree and so it was left to him. He would need to decide soon and it was this that kept his solitude from becoming too self-indulgent. An hour to think would hopefully yield an answer.​
An hour he would not have. There was a sound of frantic hooves on the stone stairs. whistling began almost as soon as the adolescent messenger was in sight of him and Darien felt a shiver run down his spine to be disturbed. One was not so bad but he had not prepared himself to see anyone. He got to his feet and moved behind a large bush of blooming flora. The Zaathri at least knew not to follow. It allowed Darien the privacy to sit as the meaning of the whistles bled into his mind. Delayed as he worked to comprehend the 'speech' through the force.​
The man was talking nonsense in his franticness. To come before his Tribal leader was one thing, his god another, to break his private time in his own home another still but he'd also accidentally looked into the eyes of the god of death.​
"A visit your eminence... Most urgent ... his holiness is here at the city gates"
Darien sighed "Urgent enough to dishonour me and your kin?" he asked into the messenger's head sharply from behind his bush. He had to remain somewhat fearsome after all "Speak sense to me slowly and clearly".
He was answered by the nervous thump of hooves in the turf as the equine being moved on the spot. through the leaves, Darien could see his head dip as he caught his breath then he spoke again "His Holiness Desdinova god of death visits our city Contra-Usul , he has been kept at the gates until you can attend him"
Darien knew enough to know that he was outranked by this god of death. The fact that he was summoned to him and not merely been asked to see him in his own audience chamber.
"Fetch the Speakers and Their excellencies the representatives"
The messenger did not need to be told twice and once again the sedate air sounded the movement of hooves. One soon became four but at least he had his speakers now. He could talk through them. Though the talk was swift and frantic when the situation was known. Preparation soon made for him to move through the city to meet the God at the gate.
It was slow progress Darien moved through the crowds secluded completely from view by a great canvas of silks which kept him from view but his head rang with noise and translation despite his effort to shut it out. his passage was marked by a trail of gold coinage that don't where he had stepped. the spread of his prosperity, normally seen only on holy days. No doubt someone would try to turn this into one but for now, the city rang with requests for blessing. Merchants pressed at his guard to try to touch his divine skin in the hopes of becoming unimaginably rich.

The gates of Mercuitie
Mercuitie

Eventually, they reached the gates and then the outside of them. It had been over a year since Darien had passed this side of the wall and already he felt exposed. It was another few minutes as he tried to convince his speakers to go with him. They refused. They had not been invited and they would not enter the presence of the god of death except by his invitation. Even his joint leaders would not go. Indeed no one had stepped into the room where Arcturus had been left to recline except by his invitation.​
The canopy was taken to the doorway and then Darien stepped into the room. Head low in discomfort. A hand on the hilt of Class. What would they say of him if he fought their god of death? He hoped not to find out.​
Looking up he lay eyes on Arcturus' human face and was transfixed for a moment. he had not seen a human face in many years. "I was brought to speak with you, I am the one these people call Mercurius but if you know my true name I would have you use it and speak the truth of your purpose"
If his people heard him speak like this they would be appalled but he had to know first who this man was and why he was here. he reached out with the force, feeble though his grasp was to try to compel the truth from his fellow 'god'. He had to know if the banking clans had finally found him.

Arcturus split open a fruit reminiscent to the Shuura he knew and loved with his bare hands, raising his arms in the process and directing the flow of spilt juices from his wrist to his lips. Just eating something Shuura-adjacent made him long for his beloved Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn and the children they'd borne together. An ache so heavily set that it almost put him off the feast entirely.
Almost.
Biting into the flesh of the fruit, avoiding its rind, he hummed in approval. One half was set aside in favour of the goblet of fermented fruits, not quite wine but certainly flavourful. As his white shirt stained with the red juices of the fruit he was devouring, he let out a soft sigh. Upon finishing the fruit half he wiped his hands clean, then shifted in the comfortable seat. He could sense the arrival of a procession outside the door, he could sense the nervousness which drifted all around.
The door opened, and one lone individual entered. He'd fast gathered that none would enter without first being permitted, called upon. Arcturus almost felt bad, he'd remained this side of the wall in order to respect Mercurius and the rules of his City. No weapon should pass through, he'd been told. Yet all he'd managed to do was cause inconvenience. Still... He was a God, was he not?
Reaching a hand into one of the many pouches he wore, Arcturus pulled out a small pebble inlayed with runes and in an instance his attire changed. The simple white shirt he'd traveled in fast became a silken red piece embroidered with threads of real gold. Much better, he no longer felt sticky.
He did not rise.
"Oh noble Mercurius" he began, "God of Prosperity, Trade, and Bargaining..." Head tilted softly to one side, and he hummed once again in consideration. "I know not your mundane name, though I would have it said. I am Desdinova, God of the Underworld... among a many great other things. Arcturus to my friends and family. You seem to have quite the set up here, frankly this is one of the most well run and structured settlement I've come across thus far, aside from the realm my beloved Adamanthea has grown into existence. They call you Contra-Usul, one who does not lead? And yet you sit atop the totem pole all the same. Why is this?"
Shifting once more in his seat, somewhat restless at this point for having been made to wait for so long, Arcturus set one leg over the other at the knee and placed an arm along the back of the chair he was semi-lounging on.
"This Realm you reside within, it is belonging to me. This Ámathosi Desert? Mine. So tell me, Mercurius, why it is I should let you remain here..."

Respect for him had not lasted long.

Darien had found little by way of respect from any but arguably his father and certainly his people. Even after years as a god he did not expect much in the way of respect. He was not his father. If there had been one thing that defined Lucien Cordel it was his hoard of other people's respect. Even in the waning days, Darien could remember that. People had stood when he came into a room.

He was not sure whether the parlour trick with the outfit was disrespect. Nor did he much care. A red stain became a red outfit, The act itself was not disrespectful, Darien would hate to meet someone ... especially someone who seemed important in a stained cloth. It was the timing though. Had the other man waited to pull the parlour trick in his sight?

Did he think Darien so foolish that he would not see it for the parlour trick it was? Darien could turn the fundamentals of an item too it was not so clever. It did not make them gods any more than their lack of fur or elaborate spoken word.

Ofcourse Darien said nothing. His displeasure a flickering flame in the bell jar of his unease. It lacked the oxygen to sustain itself.

The other claimed not to know his name and the rudiments of Darien's power caused a whisper in the force that found no lie in the man's words. Darien corrected him though "My Godhead has been reformed" he answered "Trade and Bargaining are but the same idea in separate coats I brought these people ... my people" 'My People' came quieter "A new revelation, the idea of mediation and peaceful settlement" The other man would seek to know his mundane name, Darien glossed past it, an act of defiance perhaps or just caution, whatever it was he was ploughing on into an explanation of his title.

Brushed past too was the tepid compliment.

"Contra-Usul is not denoting me as one who does not lead" He answered "It is denoting me as the thing which prevents the rise of an Usul ... When I found these peoples their tribes were locked in an ever-spinning death spiral as their leaders constantly fended off brutal challenges and leadership went to brutes and not brains. They could not build or hold or live ... they could only die" He ran a hand through his hair "so when I took the breath from the throat of the warlord in these lands and they sought to name me Usul I refused and told them the time of Usuls was done, the time of division and death was done"

He sighed and gripped his hair. He had felt different back then adrenaline coursed through his veins and enhanced the hold of the dark nexus (Though he did not know that was what it was) upon him. The violence of the moment had made him temporarily bold.

As for why he led ... "They won't allow me not to, I neither ask for nor seek what they demand, they merely thrust it upon me perhaps because they know that replacing me would see their former enemy try to take my place or one who might favour their former enemy anyway " Racial divides died a hard death, even with all the bounty setting them aside had brought.

This Desdinova as he would be called lounged but Darien stayed standing. He did not know if sitting or standing communicated a better grip on power. He felt no such grip though. It was so easy to forget that they were on his turf no matter what this other being claimed.

It made the being's question hard to answer.

He knew what Lucien would have said. He would have started by correcting the being grammar 'It is belonging to me' which was loose and unrefined. It betrayed a lack of what a Cordel would call 'proper education' then he would go on to articulate the many reasons why trying to unseat him would not work in a way that this other man would want. The words formed in his head and upon his lips but they lapsed unsaid.

He did not say that he was what made this settlement worth having, that were he gone from the city's equation all that he had built would go to ruin again, that the city prospered because he had the right combination of proven strength and moral authority to settle disputes peacefully. to keep Shaal and Zaathri at peace and in a common cause. Arc might well manage to kill him ... Darien was sure he could but then he would be another Usul, he could not rule a city built in the way Mercuitie was with blood-soaked hands.

Death and taxes might be the only two inevitabilities but they could not rule the other's creation.

He did not talk of the people. Did not say that he had earned their respect over many years and that whilst Arc might lure some of them. Dissidents as each settlement could boast he would not get enough to make Darien's unseating clean or easy. He spoke nothing of the fact that he had debts of gratitude from many of the local tribes. small and fragile as singles but wasp-like. Like wasps, their combined sting might kill. It would certainly hurt. Many would come if he asked.

Even the ones owing him no favour would come if they thought their trade routes might be destroyed or their taxes changed. Change was not popular when prosperity was flowing.

He did not say that the land on which they stood was not the other man's while he still stood. That until He had ended Darien or received his acquiescence his claim to own the whole desert was just wind. Many winds blew in the desert and yet his ships still moved and his walls still stood. Saying he was overlord did not make him so when he walked on land already claimed for the first time. The city was not his when he had done no work for it.

He did not slyly suggest that to denounce him as a false god would not be easy. Darien had been the god of this city for years, He had turned a stagnant pool fed by a depleted river into a city in which riches could literally rain down from on high. A proven pedigree and if Darien and his council said that in fact this man, this outsider who stood at their gates and spat at their beliefs was a false god who wore the name of their high god to rob them of their prosperity and their enlightenment ... could Arc truly be sure he would have the majority of believers? They were not actually gods lest the man before him had forgotten.

The issue they would face if they questioned the other's divinity is that at its heart the allegation would be true and truth burned like a wildfire in a drought.

Fire and devastation did not pass his lips but he did speak.

"I have built this place over many years, from a tent to a tower ... I am safe here and I am safe nowhere else so if you try to remove me from this place I will have to fight you until I can fight no more ... because I have nowhere else to go" It was akin to a threat one might suppose but it was delivered too timidly for such a view to be reasonable.

It was an honest statement of desperation. Darien would fight till the bitter end because if he didn't death would have him either way. If he did well maybe he would keep his safe place.

Lucien would also have asked why Darien should accept this man as his overlord. Darien did not and though he thought of it as something his dad would ask it ventured nowhere near his lips.

Last edited:
Arcturus could not help but chuckle as he overheard the tumultuous thoughts of the boy before him. Boy... Nay, man. He lacked the confidence one his age ought to have held, but Arcturus had also until most recently so who was he to judge? There was something about this one, this Mercurius, that drew Arcturus to him immediately. It was no great secret that he was a collector of the lost and broken, a freer of the oppressed and shepherd of the wayward. He had a knack for seeing beneath the surface, and he saw in this God a fragility which spoke to all of the above in some way or another. Sensed it even before he'd looked into his mind and found turmoil there.
"God of Prosperity, Trade, and Mediation then, is it?" He hummed, lifting his chin slightly in consideration. He could tell that Mercurius was feeling rather slighted by his refusal to be shown the respect he was due, this was his City after all, so he tried to even the scales. "Please, by all means, sit. This is your home, your City." There was oddly enough a sense of sheer sincerity in his tone, though he would not push Mercurius to sit any more than he had should the man wish to remain standing.
"Your people..." He echoed that phrase. Were he a tyrant, or a prouder God, he might have took slight to that, instead he nodded his head, "They are wise to see in you what they do, and you are wise for bringing them unity in the face of contention."
The thoughts of grammatical correction tickled him truly, and mirth crossed his expression. "A man of propriety, is that what he was?" Arcturus tilted his head to the right as he regarded the man, "I have spent too long speaking the grandiose words of a Deity to subjects who prefer the more prosaic methods of speaking." The rest of it, unuttered talks of the settlement, had one slender brow raising.
"I am no fool" he stated, "I would not think to unseat you and see this civilization continuing to flourish. I am not here to see you disposed of, Mercurius, not if it can be helped. My wife, she might have had other thoughts, but I do not share her more paranoid mind. No, I am not here to turn all you have made into ashes, instead... Instead I simply ask that you formally join our Pantheon, that you take your place at our side so that none can try to claim we are not a united front. It is imperative that we uphold the illusions we have so delicately woven here, as I'm sure you will understand. If word gets out about our mundane natures, Mercurius, all you have done here will fall into ruin, the people will return to their wars, and where would that leave you?"
Nowhere else to go, he'd claimed. This was all he had, his sanctuary, and Arcturus knew well how that was. So he inclined his head.
"I mean you no disrespect" he stated, slowly slipping one foot from the knee of the other and moving to rise. "I was told that I could not bring a weapon past the gates, and you see... I possess a relic that can never be far from me, no matter how hard I try. I sought to respect your practices, that is why I am here and why I did not journey to your ziggurat to see you within your own domain."
They had gotten off on the wrong foot, Arcturus knew that immediately, intimately, he also knew that the mind of the one before him was somewhat... fractured. As though fighting with itself. Three voices, two sets of memories, he was trying to find out who he was, how he could deal with this, and Arcturus found that oh so interesting.
"Do not fight me, and I shall have no reason to fight you. Give me your name, your real name, and I shall give you this slither of land officially. A City State backed by Desdinova, none would look to unseat you. Work with me, swear allegiance to the Principal God of this Pantheon, as the Divine you're said to be, and you and I will find no great conflict. Quite the opposite, you may find me a worthwhile ally."
Another thought crossed the man's mind, and Arcturus could not help but sigh. "You have not been taught to obscure your thoughts, and in precarious realms such as these, where our seats are set upon little more than sand, that could very well be your undoing. Our undoing. Pledge yourself to me, Mercurius, and I will show you how to protect your thoughts and more..."

Last edited:
The chuckle emanating from the man before him, sparked by something unknown to Darien did little to ease his feelings of disrespect. It was almost humiliating. Certainly, it coloured much of how they had interacted. Arcturus had started the conversation badly. He had continued it poorly and it had come over to Darien like the man really thought himself a god and already saw this city as something that belonged to him. That somehow it was in his gift to erase years of hard work. Gallons of sweat and more than a little blood because he had named himself some higher god.

He was more powerful than Darien in terms of the force, that much was plain but that did not mean he could just say Darien out of existence.

His assertion to have amended his pantheon seemed to be accepted by this man who called himself half of the dyad that led the pantheon both men had claimed a part of "Yes" he replied with a simple nod "Those of this city have taken to that thought, though some do not yet grasp the concept". The offer of a seat was ... confusing to Darien's understanding of the situation. On the one hand, having remained sat and invited Darien to sit Arcturus had taken the privileges normally reserved to the host. Treated Darien's lands as his before he actually said as much. On the other, he verbally acknowledged them as Darien's which only made Darien's interpretation of his later question the more jarring.

There was a sincerity to Arc's tone and the force whispered that he genuinely wanted Darien to sit but whether that was to be of a level or to reduce Darien's presence the man did not know. He warily approached a chair. then paused and thought. debating what he ought to do. He opted to perch upon the arm. Not sat but not stood either really.

The conversation continued in this push-and-pull way. With one gesture and word, Arcturus lay praise on Darien and spoke of him in respectful words but in the other, he continued at a steady pace to act more and more like he owned the place. sprawling across the chair he had taken and held. Then he had said as much. Claimed hold of everything. Spoke as if he were the god he pretended to be and Darien was nothing unless he willed it. The city he and others had built was nothing but another chit to add to his pile.

That was a decided push. Everything about the way the question had been phrased and asked screamed to Darien that he was being told to justify his life, to convince this man who thought himself a true god to permit him to stay and keep all he had built. it had convinced Darien that all he had seen before was infact true disrespect. Everything coloured.

His mind flooded with his father's voice recounting how he would answer. Darien looked in confusion at first as Arcturus referred to a 'he' a he who was a man of propriety. When he justified his poor grammar Darien knew he had read his mind as father always could. Still, he had never been taught how to stop it from happening so he simply let it happen. trying to police his thoughts would not change them.

"Father was ... " He could not think of the proper word "Grand" he settled on "Snobbish some called him ... others proper but he had exacting standards and a lengthy list of behaviours and habits he considered to be common" Common meaning undesirable. All his words had been mumbled and he was not sure why he answered even as his head kept filling with things he ought to say instead. Things this man might be hearing and yet ... they came, all the same, such that Darien's verbal response seemed redundant by the end a hollow and weak form of the arguments he had thought in father's voice.

Father had fought the battle for him.

The man was convinced now if he had not been before that trying to unseat Darien was a fool's errand. That it would lead only to destruction. He asked instead that Darien join him and he made a good point of it. These people believed both men part of a greater pantheon. Like it or not they were safest standing together. it was harder to doubt the whole than its constituent parts. Tell a man metal could fly and they would toss an ingot and prove you wrong, but no one doubted a starship flew.

He was right that Darien stood in a house built of illusion and if the people looked behind the curtain the city would fall. it thrived because he a god willed it to be so. If he were merely a man his will would matter little.

Before he could answer the man was getting to his feet and giving his reasons for pulling Darien from the city. His story was well-made but hollow. Yes Arcturus had stayed outside but that could be as much about the guards and the desire not to upset the balance as it was about respect that had not been well represented. Darien thought to himself that meaning and action did not always meet but he said "It was not being summoned here that felt most disrespectful ... but you know that ... " he mumbled explaining no further.

Arcturus put his case again and Darien leaned onto his hands and shook his head "I desire no fight with you or anyone" he agreed "But this city ... this sliver of land as you call it is not yours to give " he could not stick up for himself ... too shy for that ... but his tribe, his city ... yes that he could stick up with "You can recognise my tribe and this city as the holders of this land ... or you can call us usurpers and make good your claims but you can't give to me what I already hold"

His thoughts betrayed him again in his question of why he should let this man call himself an overlord ... well that was his thought on fathers thoughts but ... academic when they all sounded off in his head.

The man would train him and protect him in return he would demand allegiance and a pledge. Darien stood from his perch now and straightened his back

"Much as you can not give me land that I hold my god can not give yours something that is divinely ordained to be the only truth, a pledge to you would suggest that there ever existed a state of being where the pantheon was not whole and ordered ... my allegiance to you can not be pledged because it is just the way things are ordained to be ... instead we must simply mark this as a day of celebration, you have been brought to see their work in our glory and I have been called back to a wider focus"

He turned to Arcturus "I will not upset your status as a head of the pantheon alongside your wife, My Tribe will offer tributes to you as Desdinova and to any others who you advise are to be viewed as gods, my city will contribute goods to your state and you will contribute protection to mine and I will heed you as a Suzerain but you will lay no claim on my city nor interfere in its internal affairs, nor its relations with other tribes save where the pantheon is concerned ... we can work out the specifics but not here ... we have lingered out of the city too long ..."

He walked to the door and gestured to be followed "Please don't wave your knife about but I will tell the guard he is to make it known that you should never suffer an attempt to part you from it again Desdinova"

He paused with his hand upon the door.

"Darien ... by the way," he said "Darien Cordel ... Though the Cordel name is death"

Arcturus nodded once.
"Then I shall regale the wider lands with news of this change, so that none who come this way should be confused by the changes in your domain." Quid pro quo, was this not what this entire exchange was about? Maintaining the status quo, yes, but also making it beneficial to both parties beyond that. Arcturus had begun to make a point of no longer gleaning information straight from Darien's mind by the time that he'd addressed it as being an issue. He had been trying to reveal the flaw, after all, not really looking to infiltrate the man's mind, so much of the rest of his internal dialogue was missed. Intentionally so.
"The natives would beg to differ, Mercurius," he stated insofar as who owned what was concerned, "However, I do not speak with their ear's present and thus you are correct. It is yours, it is theirs, and I do not seek to take it from you. We have had issues with others trying to stand against us, and in doing so they upset the natural order of things here, they risk bringing ruin not only to us but to themselves too. They have since been labeled false Gods, men claiming to be avatars when in fact they were not. But we cannot keep going in that route, it is not sustainable and it only brings further questions and doubts. It is better we are united, yes. That we make it seem as though we have always been united."
Mercurius did not disagree with that notion though, thankfully. Instead he offered up a most wise compromise. They would not change things on the surface, for how could they, and instead it would be marked as a day of celebration. This Arcturus could only nod to. "Then nothing will change in their eyes, and between the two of us we have reached only an understanding. This is satisfactory. Consider this a City State unbeholden to the laws of the Ámathosi Desert except insofar as the Pantheon itself is concerned. I see now why they herald you as a Mediator, Mercurius. You will be a most valuable addition to our discussions."
They were moving toward the door now, and Arcturus was to be given leave to keep the weapon on his person so long as he did not wave it around. This was easy enough to adhere to. "It shall not leave its sheath" he assured him, before being surprised by a given name. Darien. Darien Cordel... There was something oddly familiar about that name, the surname that is, though he could not place his finger on it. No matter, here he was not Darien Cordel, he was Mercurius. "A name I shall not utter outside of private chambers, I promise."
He followed Darien out into the hazy afternoon, shoulders rolling slightly as he stretched out his back. The guard from earlier was giving Arcturus a strange look, for what he wore now was not at all what he'd been wearing entering. This, in truth, was why he'd done that silly little parlour trick. Had Darien entered with one of the natives at his side, he needed there to be no doubt of his Divinity.
Not that it mattered now, he'd only bring it up if Darien did.

Regale or remain silent it mattered not to Darien. His City's priests and Prelates had already spread the word and there was a growing school of young academics on the fringe of the religious scholarship that scoffed at the older clerics, they claimed they had seen this mediation in the stories, that Mercurius had offered it before repeatedly and they had simply failed to appreciate his gift before now. Before this Avatar arrived to them. In their eyes, his sphere was not altered it had merely been mislabeled for such a long time. This they said was part of why there was such struggle elsewhere.

Darien cared not how they arrived at justification of his created peace, so long as they continued to justify it and spurn their wars and folly.

"There are scholars here in the city working to explain the changes I made ... those that accept that any change was made at all of course," he said "Though the city itself seems to explain enough for most of the lay people"

Darien managed a small smile at Arcturus' rebuttal well now they were onto something interesting. The theology was clear he had to concede that the land on which he stood was Desdinova's but the theology did not mention the city because the city had not existed before this time and Mercurius had not had a fixed domain, a god of trade must flow with cargo and so they had an impasse at least absent their agreed solution to hear of the problem held him back from speaking though. He nodded "They have always been united ... " he referred to the gods "even if we have not ... as to what the natives will think ... this city did not exist in their histories nor their theology they will know only what they are told they know and I would have them know that this is my city ... your land but my city"

He smiled again at Arcturus' praise, he had a knack for mediation that was clear, compromise was a skill like any other and he had honed it. "This was ... easy, we know there is value in stories of settled peace as well as bloody glory ... the natives still feel the instinct to fight first and continue till last"

Out in the sun Darien was content to let the feelings of before lapse. there was no sense in harbouring them, it seemed Arcturus had not meant him any disrespect and they were to be allies. He beckoned first his Shaal speaker. An adolescent, both his speakers were. young enough to be trusted and innocent. Then with his speaker stood by he beckoned forth the guard. To look upon one good was a privilege to look upon two far beyond that. to hear his patron god would go too far and thus Darien spoke only into the mind of his speaker.

The speaker spoke in the tongue of the Shaal "His Holiness Mercurius your Contra-Usul and mine makes it known henceforth that there are to be no further attempts to part our god of death from his divine dagger are to be made when he is otherwise disarmed in future, It is further commanded that no word of Desdinova's Holy presence in the city is to be disclosed until such time as proper celebrations are organised, any word of it before such time will mark dishonour upon them and ruin upon us"

Then into Arcturus' mind "If you would convey a message to him you may do so through the speaker, They are unused to the voice of their gods directly to them here"

Once all that was to be said was said Darien ordered the canopy brought around them again and they progressed through the city gate.

He was correct of course, this city was newly created just as many of the larger settlements were. The Shaal and the Zaathri were known for their fighting, not just of each other but themselves too, civilizations did not usually last long, and yet now with the avatars of their Gods so clearly walking the earth they had been forced to a more communicable state.
Here far more than anywhere else, of course. Praise were praise was most certainly due.
"Then that story is yours to tell, and I shall spread it to any who may try to claim otherwise. Otherwise I will not speak on it, for doing so may bring you unwanted attention and it would be wrong of me to upset the status quo you have created here."
No more needed to be said, not on this side of the gate at least, so they soon stepped out into the sun. Arcturus purposely remained silent, watching to learn how things were done here. Darien chose not to speak with his supplicants directly, instead talking through one of the natives, a fact which intrigued him. He'd have to ask on that later.
Or not. Darien was rather forthcoming with the reason why.
He was not one to speak directly to them, and he supposed that did help to add to the mystery, the divinity.
Very well he responded, respectfully. Even so he did not yet choose to address Mercurius' people. If he wanted Desdinova's presence here kept under wraps then he would be quiet as a mouse himself. He was bade to join Darien in the canopy, and so he did. Then together they were brought across the gate into the City itself. A City State now, no less.
His eyes drifted to see as much as he could, but frankly that wasn't much at all. So he decided he would wait until they reached their destination before he tried to make sense of the City itself. He was curious what lay beyond the great Watergate, what architecture this City had been built in, and the kind of Palace Darien resided within and governed from.
For now he said nothing. Some things were best left to experience not be told of.

Whether his silence towards the bulk of his people was in some way adding to his mysticism and gravitas and helping to secure he leadership was not Darien's first concern. It absolved him from having to make too many grand public speeches and he liked that. It meant he could live his life without fear of being constantly called upon. Having cemented the belief in these people that it was tantamount to sin to talk to him directly he could indulge his introverted nature and such would not be hard to find in his mind should Arcturus look.

A moment passed between Arcturus being invited to address the guard through the speaker before the adolescent Shaal spoke again "The Gods say no more to you, Begone and carry out your purpose" There was a harshness to it but then there was a harshness to much of life amongst these peoples. He was bringing softness to them but some things did not change and the Shaal were very blunt to the point of being abrasive.

If the guard were offended he did not show it but he did look warily to Arcturus. He had slighted him in serves of his Contra-Usul, his problem ofcourse but he had hoped to be absolved and forgiven. When he was not explicitly forgiven he was left troubled and his mind wandered to a means of righting the wrong. Darien foresaw a large offering at the altar of Desdinova tonight.

For all that Arcturus could not see as they walked there was plenty more to sense. His eyes had only the intricate weave of the fabric canopy which cut them off from view. Darien too of course, he could look at him and the way he walked with his eyes closed, breathing his way through the noise and the sense of people pressing around him.

Prosperity flowed from him in the form of small gold coins which he was subconsciously grabbing from a back and scattering at his feet. The movement was so robotic as to be clearly done on instinct, there was every chance if the bag were to be taken he would not notice such was the monotony of the task.

For the other natural senses, more was on offer principally noise. In their immediate vicinity were yells of praise to the god of prosperity and prayers some more demanding than others. An oppressive cascade of constant speech. There was no escape when one cast their ear wider either. The city rang with the noise of craft and trade. Its grand bazaar never slept, In Mercuitie you could guarantee that if you had something to offer you would find something to buy come pitch dark or acid rain. His people had replaced a hunger for violence with an unquenching desire to accrue and spend wealth.

Smells too were not in short supply. Spices were perhaps the most common smell, this was a desert economy after all and they had quite a variety being produced. They had their share of produce too though not so much given their limited agrarian land but some and there was plenty imported too. Past those food markets, there was the smell of primitive industry. Beltching furnaces and wet clay. To the decerning nose too the smell of fresh cut desert wood and quarried stone.

Worst for Darien though was the feeling of others. None directly touched but it was as if he were in a bubble and he could feel things pressing against that bubble making the space tighter and tighter. Ofcourse the people were in many ways pressed in by the walls too. Yes, it was clear the city had swelled too much for its current boundary.

"As You can tell ... " He said over the din "We are a city of many people, the gate never closes long before someone is coming in or going out and every day more people come here and wish to stay, Both the Native representatives accept that we must expand but they predictably do not agree on how, we might go up stacking building on building until we become like a hive ... " He could not imagine stomaching that. How would he breathe? "The Zaathri seem broadly to favour that course, the Shaal want to grow outwards moving the walls past the natural barrier of the mountains and exposing us far more ... Neither idea seems wholly without flaw and somehow I must figure out a solution"

He was not exactly asking for help and advice but if this man was to be an ally and protector ... well he ought to know some of the problems they faced.

As they began to climb the steps of the Ziggurat the noise began to grow more distant. Crowds could not follow here and there was a circle around the Ziggurat where it was illegal to sell lest the peace of the mediation halls be disturbed. Or all the more unthinkable their god offended. The higher they went the fewer clipping hooves they would hear as Zaathri and Shaal reached the extent of their right to follow. By the time they returned again to the garden sitting almost at the zigaraat's top Only the canopy bearers and the two speakers remained. The leaders of the city were congregated at the top of the stairs they had just climbed, daring not to step into the garden until Darien either readmitted the public or invited them in. The older amongst them did not even look in the direction of the garden.

Silently the canopy was taken away again and the city revealed to Arcturus past the blooms and trees of the garden of bounty. The city was built of pale desert rock. The walls of a sturdy and rugged grey-brown that matched the texture of the mountains and was topped with a rich burnt gold coloured tile made of smoothed and buffed stone. The building varied in splendour and size. Most were slightly boxy and even now there was an element of building stacked on building, like on Tatooine. Over many places were strung great sheets of woven fabric in splendid tribal colours, providing both shelter and symbols of nationhood. The grandest sheets spanned from the edges of the ziggurat which was of itself made of a pale almost creamy-coloured stone. It too was smooth. So smooth it shone. and it was banded by strips of metal. Not pure gold as one might expect but a messy amalgamation of many metals. Coins and plunder melted down and used to build the god of prosperity a home.

Darien waved away the canopy bearers and telepathically told his speakers to send the representatives away, they could be returned when there was a finality to the deal that Darien and Arcturus were striking.

When they were gone Darien and Arcturus were left alone in the afternoon sun.

"Where would you wish to go to talk?" he asked "we can remain here in the garden, or go to my quarters inside ... unless you would seek a throne in which case the audience chamber is up there" He pointed to the steps at the centre of the garden which led to the summit of the Ziggurat.

"I don't know how to entertain a god," he said with a half-joking tone "Do I need to have anything brought? More food? a special chair? Exotic dancers?" He smiled but he was also genuinely seeking information on what the natives might expect him to have done to honour his divine guest.

Last edited:
There was a brief moment of realization that came far too late to actually do much about, where the Shaal's thoughts brushed against his - filled with wariness and concern for having 'slighted' him. He didn't say anything, not right away, but as he and Darien wandered through the streets, hidden by the canopy, he couldn't help but mull it over.
"I fear I have caused your guard panic" he stated, "Such was not my intentions. Is there any way I might relay a message his way? I know that he was doing his job by not permitting me to pass while armed, and I do not hold it against him. I do not know how best to address such here, your City runs far differently from the rest of the governed realm."
Simply put, he didn't want to step on any toes. Nor did he wish to undermine his own authority as Desdinova. This was such a complicated, fine line to tread. Anywhere else he would have done as he pleased, but he'd already agreed to give this City it's formal independence - not that Darien had ever needed that said, it was his, he'd forged it, but in the eyes of the people?
Either way talks soon turned to the issue of space. Some wished to build up, others wanted to build out of the valley. Arcturus pondered this, understanding that Darien was not actually seeking his ideas so to speak but more explaining the current issues the city faced. Even so, it was difficult for him not to think on it.
"Perhaps neither is the solution" he hummed, "These mountains are sturdy, yes, but not impenetrable if you have the correct tools. You could consider building into the rock; I could provide you with materials to reinforce the interior buildings so that there'd be no threat of collapsing ceilings." The issue would be sunlight, but even if they only went deep enough for single spaces with windows facing out into the valley itself there was a lot of real estate available, and it would not seem so .. stacked. Even if they built upward in the valley walls. It would not ruin the integrity of the core city, which could remain as it was.
They were soon ascending steps, something Arcturus had become oh so familiar with since coming to Zaathru, for all of the major buildings were Ziggurats, deemed holy for their shape, and the way they drew one up toward the sky. The domain of Adamanthea. Once they reached the top, or at least as high as they were planning to go, the canopy finally fell away and he was given a most splendid view of the City. Breathtaking, really. The mountainous walls which enclosed it did not afford them a view from the outside of the water gates.
He was glad he'd waited until now to behold it, in truth.
A gasp caught in his throat, and he turned full circle to survey as much as he could. Once they were alone, truly alone, he turned an impressed glance Darien's way.
"You said this place began as mere tents?" Arcturus shook his head. "Your work is even more impressive than I initially believed..." And Arcturus had been impressed from the off.
The sun was warm, but somewhat softened by the red rock around them. When asked where he'd rather they talk, he hummed then gestured around the oasis of a garden set so high above the rest. "Here is more than adequate," he assured the man. "I do not use thrones where I can help it", even if ones kept cropping up in his most used spaces. Even the volcanic forge had a throne room to serve as an audience chamber. "I am a simple man, I have always favoured sitting on the ground where I can get away with it."
Of course their worshippers did not approve of that so much, so in their presence he reclined on plush pillows, comfy chairs, or the dreaded thrones. Here though he was among an equal, with no prying eyes. He sank down to his knees as a result, a position he knew well, so well in fact that he didn't even think about it. Once a slave, always a slave in some capacity. Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn usually caught him before he could finish kneeling, she did not like to see him brought back to those days which so frequently brought him terrors in the night. Some habits were difficult to break, though.
Besides, it was nice to actually feel the grass.
"While it is just you and I, I require nothing" he assured Darien, "But if you plan to show me off in honour of this celebration, then a seat at your side would suffice, and a feast for all you would entertain." Exotic dancers, no he shook his head quite firmly to that even if it was said in jest. "Rhiannon is the only one I look upon" he said, filled to the brim with sincerity. "My eyes would never stray."
Letting out a soft sigh, Arcturus tilted his head as he regarded Darien more solemnly. It felt easier now that they were not locked in a room together, now that they were free from prying eyes and ears.
"Tell me about yourself, Darien, if it please you. How did you come to be on such a world? You say you cannot leave, I wonder what horrors await you beyond the safety of the moon guns." Head tilted the other way as he considered that it was perhaps unkind of him to even ask. "I know how it is, to be seeking refuge somewhere. Outrunning the demons of your past. You and I are not so dissimilar in that."
He offered up those words in a veiled promise of quid pro quo. If Darien shared, then Arcturus too would answer any questions the God of Prosperity wanted to ask.

Darien turned slightly as Arc spoke of his concerns. A panicked guard ... Lucien would say a little fear-bred compliance. Become too liked and people would take advantage. Darien was not quite so hard-nosed as his father thought and he hummed in thought. Still walking but slowed slightly. The man had indeed been doing his job and well too it seemed, ensuring Darien's rule applied even to one he thought a high god.

"I have no objection to you just talking to him" He answered "I do not like to because the language gets muddled in my head and I can't afford the Zaathri the same level of courtesy given their different means of oral communication hence the speakers, I tell them that to look upon me too much or to hear my voice risks making them covetous and undoing all that we have ... really I think I am just shy" He sighed "Talking is hard, especially when there are crowds" He shrugged "I doubt it could be said that they might covet death so if you will it to be so you may speak and be seen by who you like" The canopy had been to shade Arcturus more than hide him but Darien was hiding so he would understand if Arcturus sought that too.

As for the fact that this city operated differently to rest the rest of the realm, "You shall have to tell me how the realm at large differs from mine so that I might be ready " after all forewarned was forearmed. With Arcturus given some leeway to do as he willed ... as he had already treated the room beyond the great water gate like he owned it initially, sprawling out to demand his perceived dues of submission ... Darien began to speak on the city.

It was true he did not want Arcturus to answer the conundrum for him but sometimes a different perspective on a problem could help. It did help, he could not imagine that many would fully relish the prospect of living inside a mountain. It seemed like it would become distinctly slum-like but then a slum of some sort seemed inevitable and it was certainly better than stacking. Likely cleaner too "An interesting thing to consider," he said in genuine thought on the prospect "Do you know much of materials then, I am not knowledgeable on construction myself so we have been bound to the knowledge the natives already had and the ruins we found."

The gasp of awe the view induced in Arcturus came as a genuine surprise to Darien. It is not that he did not think his city had beauty to it. Nor that it was not impressive but he had never seen it through the eyes of one uninvested. For him the beauty was buried in all the responsibilities he could see. he also lacked Arcturus' more firm belief in his own innate right to claim divinity. He had not done the things Arcturus had done which made him think himself, perhaps rightly, more than a mere man. It made him all too aware that he could blink and see everything gone. He had blinked and seen everything gone before.

"The previous ruler in this part was not a builder he had a camp of sorts here ... cages and fabric strung between stakes, he was a rover ... moving and pillaging" he answered "We found some ruins when we built and that helped things but yes, for the most part, there was nothing resembling structure here"

He smiled as Arc complimented him "You see why I will not tolerate you simply to say it is yours ... there is blood and sweat in these walls and none of it was yours ..." He said "Though now that we are to be allies, perhaps that will soon change"

They were to remain in the garden it seemed. A sound choice to be sure. It was a pleasant enough afternoon and to waste it would be a shame. Even with the clever architecture of the Ziggurat with its' light wells and windows, there was no substitute for real light. His court would grumble yes but they would not complain. Arcturus claimed to favour the ground to a throne and yet ... "People would probably be more receptive to you arriving and telling them to pledge to you if you began with this sort of open humility and less like you did with me" he remarked as he sat before the other. Arcturus was perhaps hampered by his lack of diplomatic nouse and Darien's words were not meant to be accusatory. Informative was his intention. There was little Darien could claim to know but he had watched father rule and influence for many years. He was a grand man yes, a man of exacting standards but when he approached someone new, someone with something he wanted he was slow to show his sense of power. That came on slowly. Darien had learned the subtle game well he liked to think.

For now, Arcturus wished for nothing, not even the sarcastic offer of exotic dancers. He had eyes only for his wife. which was good no doubt the natives would react poorly to infidelity in their dyad. Darien was glad not to have them though. all that female flesh on show made him uncomfortable. That and the natives were too bestial for him. Having finally said himself ... in some small way what had bothered him there was a clearness in the air. Being alone helped too and without the mention of gods.

he leant back on his hands as he was asked to recount his story. He was hesitant to do so but ultimately decide he should. what could it do now? If Arc knew who he was and cared he was already a dead man.

"I am here because I have been forced to run further and further from the civilisations of the core. This was the edge of the star map on my ship ...." Now long lost "This planet was not even on the map and I thought maybe I would find a place where no one would find me" Moon guns ... so that is what it had been, he had long wondered what had landed him here a cast away "I can't leave both because I have nowhere else to go but more immediately I have no ship with which to leave" The other man claimed he had demons too and Darien was never one to doubt such claims. Asked about his own he inclined his head and reached into his embroidered jacket to take out a cigarillo which he lit and inhaled. It hung lazily in his fingers as if there only because it chose not to fall.

Ordinarily, he would ask his company if they minded but ... he was owed this in his own domain, especially when he was dredging up his trauma.

"My Father was a man who made his share of enemies and what friends he made were in the same game as him, politics was like a stacked house of cards and he was an excellent stacker but he could not control everything and eventually he found himself left without his money or power, he had survived such occasions before I am told but he didn't manage to build back the last time. He was assassinated ... or well perhaps he killed himself in a last stand ... I don't know. With him dead, his enemies turned to me ... no matter where I went or what I did before long they came ... I spent years running"

He inhaled again and watched the smoke trail into the air "I would ask you what you asked me ... a form of your question anyway, why is it I should let you claim dominion over me? and I don't want to be answered by reference to the native beliefs ... why are you worthy of extracting submission and tribute from me? Arcturus to Darien"

Last edited:
They slowed some as Darien considered his words and the best way to answer him, ultimately settling upon affording Arcturus the right to approach the Guard the way he saw fit. Explaining why it was that Darien stood behind canopies, and spoke through the natives... Admitting his insecurities insofar as crowds were concerned. Arcturus nodded.
"I know that well. It's something which still bothers me. My wife took to it like a fish to water, but then she is stronger and more willful than I. I'm much more used to...--" No, it didn't do to bring that up, not right now at least. Instead he sighed as they continued on their way. "I will seek him out, unless there is a way for one of your men to find him on my behalf and have him brought to an area I can speak with him in?" It would take him forever to find one Shaal out of a city of them, but the locals would no doubt know which guard it was and where to find them. It seemed to be a place where things were well documented.
As for the rest of the realm... "Rhiannon is much more communicative and direct with her worshipers, she walks among them, blesses them and their fields, lends them her ear. Gentle to most, but capable of bringing a hammer down on the worst of them..." Those who committed crimes against children came to mind ahead of anything else. "They are much more used to seeing us, I suppose."
It mattered not to Arcturus which way the pendulum swung, he followed the norms in each place he visited. But that was his most valuable trait in life, his adaptability. It was perhaps the only reason he was even alive today. He was something of a chameleon.
"I'm more familiar with materials used on a smaller scale. I am an artificer and blacksmith by profession, a creator of trinkets and living golems... You saw one of them in action." He reached into his pouch to bring forth a couple of the crystalline pebbles that worked to see his attire changed. "I must apologize for that, by the way, it was meant for any congregation that followed you - I wasn't expecting you to come alone."
Back on topic, Arcturus... "Anyway, I know that braces wrought from metal will keep the ceiling from collapsing, like those used in a mineshaft. As I say, I can provide you with the tools and the materials. Heck, if you wanted I could even assist in the construction efforts. I like to get my hands dirty." Made him feel useful. Being useful, way back when, meant he'd be overlooked when it came time for punishments or the worst tasks. Not that anyone really went without punishments of course, they were slaves of the Sith after all.
"I as Arcturus would never try to claim ownership over your lands, Darien," he assured the man, "But Desdinova must upkeep appearances, and it was impossible to tell whether anyone else was listening in." As for receptiveness, he shrugged. "Perhaps. I'm still learning how to deal with all of this... And we've recently had threats in the form of would-be Gods who sought to offset the balance, sought to go against the mythology and beliefs of the natives. I apologize for being so brash and entitled, but... I have a family here. These lands are our safe haven as much as this city is yours. I will not risk someone harming my babies. And.. I see now that it left me prickly."
Darien was soon seated too, and unexpectedly he chose to humour Arcturus' questions. It was the type of story Arc had expected to hear, a life of running from past demons, brought on by his father no less. Political infighting, assassination attempts. Of course he ended up here, on the very edge of the Galaxy, it was the only sane place left to go.
"You won't be alone in this any longer. Your enemies are now my enemies, and if any try to seek you out here.. Well, for one the Moon Gun will deal with them. But should they survive that? Well... I'm sure your people wouldn't let them get close anyway." But Arcturus would stand alongside him, because unity was a necessity.
Not just that but Arcturus truly did have a soft spot for men like Darien. It was how he ended up with two adopted sons, after all.
His counter questions had Arcturus raising a brow. He mulled them over for a moment, chewing on the words so to speak, before he shook his head. "You shouldn't. I'm not worthy of it, I am just a man. This game we play, the positions forced upon us by the natives, it's all tumultuous at best, and it requires us to act as though we're performing a play. I ask that you do what you can on the surface, for show, to play the roles we've been given, but beyond that, Darien? You are my equal. I did not ask to be called Desdinova, did not ask to be looked upon as one of the Principal Deities, I simply.. Wanted to make an ancient forge work."
Arcturus could not help but chuckle at how ludicrous it was.
"They believe that only Desdinova could get the fires churning again. I fell into this position, and now I am trapped. I might as well be a slave again for all the freedoms I feel like I have, all the choices I can make."
Again... He hadn't meant to let that slip, but now that he had it made no sense trying to stuff it back into the box.
"I lack the refined nature you possess, I was not raised for politics or high society. I have spent most of my life a slave, and though I have since been freed it still weighs over me years later."
Perhaps that was too much honesty. Arcturus frowned, then glanced out over the city.
"I will work with you however you would like, and we can weave it into whatever story needs to be told to satisfy the natives."

It was a little surprising to hear what Arcturus said about understanding ... no sharing ... Darien's concerns with crowds and speaking publicly. He certainly hadn't detected a lack of confidence in his companion when they had met. Quite the opposite infact, as they had hashed over and would hash over again Darien had thought Arcturus much too sure of himself. All the knew how one could if they choose, solidify themself for a brief burst of gregariousness. Perhaps Arcturus had done that. He probed no further on the matter, no sentence cut off by a sigh like that was one which was easy to finish and so he did not find out what Arcturus was used to.

"We can call him fourth at the celebration" Darien replied, it seemed the most elegant solution. It would do no good to send the other man off searching the walls and barracks like a harrassed envoy, nor in pulling the guard away before his shift ended "You may say what you wish to him and I can bestow some honour upon him for ensuring that none however great or small was allowed to disturb the peace we have built ... you can say it was a test if you, please"

Talk turned to the broader world and to the practices of Arcturus' wife. She was by his account a hands-on diety and from what had been said of her Darien could not foresee how she might be anything else. No doubt trying to force her into hiding away and talking through others would drive her as mad as trying to force Darien into talking to large swathes every day. None of this was to say Darien was not a hands-on god. He did much physical and supervisory work but did so in silence or as close to it as possible and where possible in private or from behind his coverings. In all that Arcturus said however he did not speak of himself or his own way.

"What of you?" he asked "How do you interact with your worshipers?"

The Revelation that the man was a smith and artificer came as little surprise, much as Darien believed he had inherited the aristocratic bearing of his father denoting him as more stereotypically suited to democracy so too did Arcturus' bearing denote him as a craftsman. His hands in particular. They carried with them the marcs of one used to working with tools and rough material. Even a god could not hide the scuffs and healed cuts. Talk of Golems was more intriguing and he remembered reading a dusty Tome once in his father's library. Copying down of an ancient sith text on such things. Despite its age, it was not original but its value was increased both because it appeared to be transcribed direct from a true original in the waning days of the old empire and because it was in high sith.

"Ni Rod..t Ligth Edoua" He said not quite getting the pronunciation right 'I have read about those' he had said. The book had been easier given it was in high sith and father spoke that better.

The apology regarding the stones was waved off as water passed under the bridge. He would not have been irked by that if not for the rest making it seem like Arcturus was trying to wrong-foot him. He neither accepted nor refuted the apology simply seeking to move on from the topic. Sadly for Darien, they moved into something he knew nothing about. He had never seen a mineshaft. That felt foolish, especially when one considered that he had a father who had governed several mining planets. So he did what seemed best and nodded as if he knew exactly how a mine shaft looked. Help was offered then and Darien hummed "If it is not below your station to assist in building work it may be useful ... Some amongst my tribe have been able to establish a knowledge of building over the years but I still consider the rate of accidents too high, one who better knows what they are doing being involved would comfort me"

They returned in a manner of speaking to that once they were alone in the garden and Darien more explicitly put his grievance to Arcturus. Arcturus would put his blood and sweat into the city if he did as he suggested he might. Blood and sweat which would give him some claim on the glory of the city beyond simply asserting it as his right because he had been called one god and not another. Arcturus once again gave his reasons ... that seemed the diplomatic way ... for demanding as he had. Darien still did not think it quite cut mustard the land was perhaps Desdinova's but the city had nothing to do with him and if they were the gods they claimed to be Darien could simply take his city and go leaving the other god with empty land. Still that hardly mattered now, his independence had been accepted.

The second stage of explanation and the apology it came in consort with were more gratefully received and Darien even smiled "I may not know how to guard my mind but I do know statecraft and diplomacy" he said "Perhaps if you are to teach me to better use and move with the force I can teach you how to better play politics" He hoped his claimed knowledge was not undermined by the revelation that his father had been killed when he lost in the political games of statecraft and diplomacy. Sometimes one could do everything right and still lose and perhaps fathers mistake was taking his eye off the ball and becoming too content in his position. Certainly, it seemed that way from the tales he told. He always seemed to get complacent in the good times.

With his story told more fully the offer of alliance was made again only this time it was more clearly on equal terms Darien's enemies were Arcturus' and that was the takeaway. He had the moon guns and the city of people but he would not need to rely on them completely. With his eyes making a rare visit to Arcturus he spoke "Then I will do what I can to keep you and your babies from harm" He was not much as a fighter but Arcturus appeared to think he had that part in hand. Darien would contribute by helping to make them a society that was not vulnerable. To build them into something that was beyond doubt so that when they had to lie no one even thought to check their words.

His question sparked a raised brow but it got an answer. A poor answer but one all the same. Arcturus said that he should not pledge to him. That he was not worthy of it. Darien could not help but tut around his cigarette but he did not otherwise interrupt. Arcturus was correct that they were signed up to play their part in what they had the privilege of calling a 'game' for they had both done so. A testament perhaps to the fact that for all his talk of being stuck in the mind of a slave that was not true in all things.

Being in a game, however, was not an absolution from having to justify why he should rule. After all, a play could have later acts written and what was true at the start could be a lie by the end without ever undermining the tale as a whole. When Arcturus was done and he'd pledged to do his best to work with Darien however he would like Darien spoke again. "I have agreed to protect you ... part of that is protecting you from yourself and your ... delusion" He answered, emboldened to be alone and in the presence of someone who saw him as something powerful. Who would heed him. Protect him. Maybe the confidence would not last but for now, it allowed him to give his counsel. "You say that you did not ask to be called Desdinova and perhaps at first you did not but you did today, you asked ... nay demanded my pledge to you, you demanded I justify my continued existence in this place and you asked that I play my part and let you play the part of my leader" He spread his hands "If you are going to demand of that of others, of the leaders of tribes, of people who have held land for years that you are touching for the first time then you need to have an answer as to why they should agree to follow you, to place themselves bellow you. An answer for the people who you wish to make your subjects yes but also an answer that convinces you as well and it cannot just be that you are Desdinova"

He took another drag "Because you are not" He said into the mind of the other "You are just a man"

He stubbed the burned-out cigarillo in the turf and sat up "That does not mean however that you can't be a leader, that you are not worthy of it, you say you can't escape the weight of the slavery in which you spent your life and that this somehow makes you ill-suited but look upon the history of the galaxy some of the greatest leaders were born as slaves" He said "There is value in it, A leader must function in a state of constant terror if they stop being terrified then they are doomed to death and yet they can not let the terror stop them functioning, a slave knows better than any how to function in a state of terror"

He got back to his feet and looked down on Arcturus ... or at least at his shoulder "If you are as unworthy as you say you have quite the gaul to take all you have and all you would seek"

strolled to the table he had been sitting at before he was summoned to see Arcturus, from it he gathered his tea set, the pot still sitting over a small flame to keep its contents warm "It will be over-brewed" he said in an apologetic tone "But it will suffice for now" He poured for them both once he was sat, holding out the teacup to Arcturus.

"I can't agree to follow you publicly, to play the part as you direct until you can answer why I should, If I did I would be damning myself to the fate of my father, As it stands my people respect me they call me god and more importantly Contra-Usul ... If I hitch myself to you and you prove to be an anchor, not an engine all I have built will be lost" He remarked "So tell me why"

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

Last edited:
Knowing that the Shaal could be invited to the celebrations and forgiven (or more waived in general) was of great relief to Arcturus, who nodded his head plainly in response. "A test he passed, to be sure" he agreed, "Yes, that seems the way to fix matters." And nobody would be undermined.
Apparently Darien wanted more than just a general understanding of the differences between the City and the wider Pantheon because he honed in on Arcturus' interactions specifically. It was easy to speak on Rhiannon's process because he witnessed it first hand, had an outsiders perspective sort of. But himself? How did he interact with the natives?
"I show them respect when they're in my presence" he stated, "I do not necessarily go out of my way to interact like Rhiannon does, but I give them my full attention when they require it. I suppose I am hands on in other ways. I have performed rituals, I have torn at the veil between life and death and forged for them an afterlife, I have put down Gods who acted like mad dogs intent on pulling the whole thing down, and I have hosted feasts. They do not tend to look upon me for favour in their every day lives, and that suits me just fine."
When Darien spoke to him in broken Ancient Sith, Arcturus couldn't help but break into a small grin. "Nenx nustia... Zo one: niant, kad zyemus gana. "[1] Humming under his breath, he tipped his head a little to one side and regarded Darien thoughtuflly. "Is it something you wish to learn more of? The language and the art?"
For Sorcery and Magic were most definitely forms of art. Regardless of whether Darien saw it that way, of whether or not he wanted to be taught more about the Sith and the texts they left behind, remained to be seen, but the very least he could do was ask and offer.
"Nothing is below my station" he claimed, "I am the God of the Forge, I bring industry and progress in my wake, you cannot create things with metal, and fire, without getting your hands dirty. I prefer to lead by example, so by all means I can assist your people and show them some more efficient ways to do their construction projects."
Soon enough another offer was made, linking the pair in mutual necessity. Arcturus would teach Darien more of the Force, and Darien would return the favour insofar as statecraft was concerned. He found himself nodding his head, before outstretching a hand toward him to shake on it. "Consider it done. We shall have to figure out who goes where and when for such lessons to be undertaken, but it's in both of our interests to strengthen away our weaknesses."
Arcturus had no room to judge the late Lucien Cordel. He knew the political spheres in the Galaxy to be viper pits, ever shifting. One day one might rise above their station, and the next find their empire crumbling around them. It did not speak ill of the player, necessarily, but more so of the game itself.
So too did the men pledge to aide the other insofar as safety was concerned. Arcturus would stand alongside Darien should the man's past catch up to him, and Darien would help to keep the children safe. "You're a good man," he claimed, "And you have my thanks."
Things only went downhill from there, though. Darien made it known that Arcturus needed an answer to his question, a real and convincing answer, and his logic made sense. How could Arcturus ever hope to upkeep the façade, ever hope to secure the fealty and respect of those they governed, if he had no reason to give them for doing so. Holes were easy to poke in the fabric of theology at the best of times, never mind when you added in genuinely false deities posing as the real thing.
Darien had a lot to say on the matter of such, even going so far as to bluntly reminding Arcturus that they were mere men at the end of the day, simply mortal beings. It was a lot to take in, given new perspectives on things he felt he knew well was a strange experience. Was it true that he could learn to lead even without the holy title which followed him around? Could the Slave truly rise up and become more than the nothing they started out as?
You already have a voice in the back of his mind muttered, and he knew it to be true. He'd come so far, forged his own path even though it would have been easy to ask for, and receive, anything he required from Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean . But he hadn't asked, and he'd only reluctantly received and even then only in more recent months.
Was it gall? Or was it just more of that fear creeping in, the self-directed doubt? Arcturus had always fled from things he couldn't face head on, not necessarily when things got difficult or serious but whenever he worried he was doing more harm than good for those he cared about. And he had fast come to care about the natives, just as he'd cared about the farmers of Folende.
Tea was offered, and still having said nothing as he ruminated on Darien's words he took the cup and sipped on it. Remarkably it seemed to help soften him, and with a small sigh he hummed and nodded his head.
Darien wanted an answer, now. Wanted to know why Arcturus demanded anything of him, much less all that he had.
"Because, I am fiercely loyal and protective of those in my sphere. I will always strive to improve things, for you, for yours, for the natives in general. I will not misuse my position, nor push you to misuse your own. I may be corrupted in the Force, but I am still the boy I was and he had morals, ethics, empathy."
Another soft hum escaped his lips, before he took a second sip of tea. He was looking out over the city again, not directly fixated on Darien.
"At the end of the day, I just want things to be stabilized here on Zaathru. I want the lands to be fertile and the people to prosper. This is where I plan to raise my children, I don't want them to have the upbringing I did, they don't deserve the strife and uncertainty. Know that whatever I do it will always be in the best interest of the majority for that reason - because it directly affects my children too."
He did not know if that was at all what Darien was hoping to hear, but Arcturus was never one to flex, brag, or boast about himself. He was better at holding others on pedestals. Much better at that.
[1] Not bad... A little off, but good enough.

Arcturus spoke of his approach to his worshipers and his godhood. Arcturus set himself in the context of his wife and that was telling. Darien had never had another in his life to measure himself against. He couldn't measure himself against his father, there was no competition there. Thinking on it he didn't remember much about his father ever having a partner. There were some, a lady or two who passed into his life and he seemed to remember one more vividly after the shadow of his own "Mother's" passing but in all those important moments, all those shows of power he only remembered Lucien acting alone.

To know that it did not need to be so surprised him somewhat unexpectedly.

There was a wider context to Arcturus' approach though and if they were on a scale Arcturus would fall in the centre of Darien and his wife. Darien was active in his own way, indirectly, he kept the plates all spinning and empowered his own people to work their own miracles and gain for themselves their own property. Fear of him kept trade in the city fair and left him to devote most of his time to resolving disputes through his speakers. It was interesting to hear the approach others took all the same, soon stories would spread and he needed answers about why he did things his way. He had laid the groundwork for that with his warnings about becoming covetous from the sight of him but now he had more detail he could go further.

His use of the Sith language seemed to please Arcturus and he replied back. Darien screwed his face up in focus and tried to remember his old lessons. He picked out the basic words 'Bad' 'Good' 'little' 'off' and suspected he had cobbled the message together but he could not be sure "I am rusty" he confessed almost right away. Had he been hoping that he knew Sith better than Arcturus? Had he been so foolish? So keen to impress? Perhaps it had been in an effort to prove that he was truly equal to Arcturus. It had obviously backfired "I enjoy the cultivation of knowledge but I'm not certain I am suited to the practicality of making a golem, If you are willing to teach however I am keen to learn all I can on a theoretical level if not always a practical one" He admitted, other aspects of sorcery and alchemy might hold an appeal though, he certainly saw no harm in investigating.

Arcturus had softened now, become something more genuine and Darien found his first impressions of the man challenged. They had gotten off on a bad foot but there were glimmers of hope. Still stings to be nursed ofcourse and one that had still sat unresolved as Arcturus promised that nothing was below him. Darien nodded "If you mean that then we would be glad of your help in the city." Darien was not so proud as to refuse necessary help and it would be fitting for the man who would be their overlord to put some of himself into the city he claimed owed him fealty.

As for the lessons Darien expected they would now have much cause to cross paths so it seemed to him to be unneeded to timetable too specifically. They could simply learn from each other wherever and whenever the opportunity arose. The important thing was that they did learn and grow. Arcturus was right it was important that they built themselves up to limit their own weaknesses. The natives would expect as much and if danger came it would demand the best of them.

More pledges followed in time and Arcturus declared that he was a good man. Darien shied away from the epithet but nodded in thanks all the same "I don't need to be thanked, I do you no favours you have your own side of the bargain to uphold" It was not said cruelly or dismissively just matter of factly, It would not be right to say he had acted selflessly. He was after all the god of trade and he did little for free.

They turned then to the central issue of why one such as Darien should follow Arcturus. why indeed anyone should follow him? There was no immediate answer, the sith knight allowed him to ramble and wax lyrical about the nature of ruling. Darien was surprised when he finished for he knew he could ramble in the most annoying tradition of his father. Even after he was done though Arcturus did not answer. There was deep thought written into his face as Darien crossed the turf to fetch tea. It was good he supposed that there was no rush to answer this time. It was important that it be right and full.

Eventually and perhaps bolstered by the tea an answer did come and it was improved this time in that it did not say that Darien should not follow him. It promised him a leader who would do his best to see matters improved for all who followed him and pledged not to misuse his power or compel others to miss use theirs. These were easy promises to make but the pledge of integrity was a good start. Darien had built something that was to his mind moral here and he would not see it misused. The talk of corrupted force sparked more thoughts in his head, another lesson from his father. Lucien had not viewed the dark side as a corruption merely the other side of a coin, certainly, he had come to think that it was folly to lean entirely to one side or the other and viewed the constant drive for greater and greater bending of the limits of the force to be a source of societal ill and the reason the sith had so often fractured when they ought to be stood together but he thought much the same of the light side too. He'd done his best to raise Darien to seek balance it was just a shame Lucien had not gained balance in his own life.

There was no profit in getting into that now though.

Arcturus could have answered anything that was not a repeat of the fact that he should not be followed and Darien would be pleased. He turned to Arcturus when the man was done and finally met his eyes "Stand up, back straight and proud" he said in a whispered command as he stood himself "Were you convinced by your answer to my question?" It did not matter much to Darien whether he was, not at this moment that could come in time and Darien could help him. For now, what mattered was what he had pledged. Arcturus could be worked with and if he showed keenness to continue to learn and grow he was as good a leader as Darien could want.

"If you are promising to bring and maintain stability then you have my assistance and for as long as you do not misuse me or forget that you pledged that we were equal in all but the theological I will be loyal to you" he promised once they had an answer and Darien had responded to it. Then he lowered his eyes "What would you have me call you when we are not before the natives and how would you have my fealty pledged?" he asked. He was willing to do what he must as was proper, He had assented to Arcturus as Pharoh of the land his now city-state stood upon. Perhaps Arcturus would want nothing but a promise sealed with the shake of a hand but if he wanted more then he could have it. Whether Darien ultimately liked it or not.

"I shall send you some books from my personal collection, to study. I would have them sent back my way when you are done with them, of course, they will be useful tools for my children one day. They'll help you to reconnect with the tongue of the Ancient Sith, unless you'd prefer High Sith or ur-Kittât. I have books on all three." He needed as wide a range as he could get when it came to laying the foundations of his rituals, or marking his skin with force-imbued tattoos, or just items in general.
As for Golems? "They're surprisingly not that difficult to form, but I understand if you prefer to stick to more theoretical pursuits than magical." Chaos knew Arcturus had a lot of students to teach, he could not afford to push any of them so far down paths they did not seek to follow. It would be a hollow waste of time once they came into their own and only focused on what they hoped to know in the end.
"I shall uphold my end" he assured Darien, "I try to be a man of my word, someone to make my children proud of and to positively emulate one day. All the same, wherever my children are concerned I shall always give thanks to those who would see them safe, regardless of any obligations made around it."
As he fell into the explanation he hoped would satisfy Darien, as well as convince himself, he allowed his gaze to drift over the city. He could not see what the man's response was to all that he said, perhaps he did that on purpose. To wait until the end, to speak from the heart so as not to alter his words depending on Darien's reaction.
Silence lay between them, only the soft din of daily life going on below distracting his ears, and then an order was given. Instructions to rise up to his feet, with his back straight. Arcturus wasn't sure why he was humouring this, but he immediately stood the way he would have done had he still been enslaved. The way he would have done had it been Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean making the command of him. Across from him Darien also stood, keeping them on an equal playing field.
"Only because it was rue" he said with a nod, when asked if he believed what he had said. "I meant every word."
Darien ended the moment with a two-fold query, which Arcturus pondered over for but a few seconds. Then he stepped closer.
"Arcturus" he said, "You said it yourself, I am but a man." That last part was whispered, to keep out any ears which might overhear. "There is no reason for us not to be on a first name basis when away from the public eye, unless you would prefer it otherwise?" He tilted his head a little to one side. "I am known by many as their Master, their Teacher. Know that I will always have the space to be that for you, also."
As for how they would make it official? Arcturus extended out his hand for a good old fashioned hand shake. He had almost considered doing it as a blood pact, but thought better of it. Darien did not seem like the Sith he often spent his time around, to whom a little blood would have been nothing.
No, a real gentleman's shake would suffice.

Books ... Darien had not laid hands on a proper book in many years. He could scarcely remember the last time he had but he still recalled fathers great library on Skye. Two floors of texts from across the galaxy. He had never managed to see never mind read every book but Skye was hard to forget, mummy and he would sit there watching the waterfall when Daddy was at work. Then there had been his memories of the night they came for his father. He'd been hurried through the library to reach his father before everything had gone to hell. To have books again would be nice he hoped. There was every chance it might simply be bittersweet "I miss books".

"My Father favoured High Sith" he responded as if that was an answer to what Arcturus had asked. In a way it was ... High Sith would bring familiarity and the sentimental in Darien favoured that. Plus it was possible he would take to high sith easier than the other two forms.

When it came to Golems Darien smiled "I don't have the hands of a craftsman" he said "It's not that I don't want practical magic I just don't want something messy" He confessed. Golems evoked clay and mess in his mind. Probably a lot of blood too though that was common of much of the sith magic he could recall reading about. Perhaps he would be better with theoretical magic but It was worth scoping out his options first, Arcturus was right it was important he find passions before expending too much of his own or Arcturus' time.

Arcturus was believable. Darien didn't know why but something in the way the man was made Darien trust him despite all that had come before. Perhaps it was his obvious love for his children, He had a reason to keep his word. He said as much he wanted to protect his children and be a worthy role model for them. The explanation came, Arcturus confirmed that he believed his answer and Darien was resolved it was better to be in the group than a thorn outside it. He still wanted it done properly that is why he had the man stand up straight. He had not meant to make Arc feel bossed about and certainly not like a slave, he just did not want to be pledged to a man who could not look like a leader.

He didn't know if Arcturus would want Darien to literally pledge on a bent knee and he was not about to kneel to a kneeling man that would make a bitter pill positively toxic.

It seemed his caution was wasted however Arcturus wanted nothing more than a shake of a hand and he made good his claim to want equality. "First Names are fine Arcturus," he said with a polite smile before taking Arc's hand, for a shy man he had a strong handshake learned over many years. "It appears we are resolved then" he hummed a little relieved in truth "I shall have word sent to the temple to prepare the proclamation and lay on the feasts" He stepped away and descended the stairs to talk with his speakers, returning moments later "In the interim what would you like to do?" he asked "I expect they will need a few hours"

Hearing that the man missed books in general left a feeling of melancholy in the pit of Arcturus' stomach. Perhaps he should have copies scribed instead, a gift of parchment and leather for his new ally. Something he could keep forever, not just borrow for a short while. Sure it wouldn't be the original tome, but the text would be the same. He wouldn't broker that with Darien right now, if it was something he could do then it ought to be a surprise as all gifts should be.
"High Sith it is" he said with a beam, though he made a mental note to throw in at least the books containing the basics on the other forms of Sithese. You know, in case he wanted to branch out. Just because it was what his Father preferred did not mean Darien had to learn only it.
As for the golems, Arcturus simply nodded his head. "Duly noted, then we shall stick with the theoretical for now until you find your preference. I must insist on those mentalism lessons, however." That he could not wait on, not if he was to keep his family protected. In a way, Darien was now apart of that. Whether Rhiannon would agree or not remained to be seen, but when Arcturus let someone into his circle he always sought some level of familial bond with them. Child, brother, cousin, whatever it might be. In Darien's case? Well... For now he would just look upon him as an equal behind closed doors.
No kneeling, no bringing Darien down to a lesser level, all that he added beyond the hand shake was a desire for celebration, a feast, but that had always been in the cards. He supposed then that he was suggesting it solely to further cement their pairing.
The strength of his handshake was noted, and Arcturus could not help but feel as though there was much more lurking beneath the man. He did not necessarily get deceptive vibes, more... That Darien was worth much more than he realized. Arcturus hoped to help bring that out of him, to make him realize it, it was only in his interest after all to have a strengthened ally.
Then he was stepping away to make plans. Arcturus remained where he was, glancing out over the city again. It was such a beautiful view. From up here you could see over the water gate, through to the river beyond which wound its way west toward the patch of land Arcturus had claimed for his upcoming city.
When Darien returned and asked his question, Arcturus hummed in consideration. "What do you typically spend your time doing? Is there a space you like to exist within? We could sit in silence for all I care, whatever works best for you, after all this is your home, I am merely an unexpected guest."

He was to get some books and he had a new potential ally. Darien was fond of one and knew he needed the other if he was to remain her long term. Plus it was better to have an ally than an enemy. If Darien searched himself he did have to admit that he had become somewhat lonely being the only human in the city and until now as far as he was aware the planet.

It would be good to talk with people and to read about life beyond Zaathru. Even if he could never really go back there.

He would have a trainer again too. Darien did his best alone and in secret but there was no substitute for a proper teacher and sparring partner. Especially a sparring partner who knew as much as it seemed Arcturus did. It seemed the first step would be mentalism which felt fitting to Darien. Lucien had been a mentalist ... it seemed strange to Darien that Lucien had never taught him to defend his mind. Perhaps Lucien had meant to get to it but had just ... been overtaken by events.

It didn't matter now "Yes I will gladly accept what training you can give, it is not easy having to train and practice alone"

With their bargain sealed by the shake of a hand, they had some time to just relax. Arcturus wished to know what he liked to do. where he liked to be. He declared that he would happily sit in silence but that seemed like a waste to Darien. He had another person here and he should interact with them. The only question was what to do. To be frank, Darien had grown used to solitude when he was not working or training. He liked to meditate in the garden but he had already kept people from it too long and he ought to release it back to the public.

"I have grown too used to solitude" he admitted with a pursing of his lips "I ought to show you around the Ziggurat" He decided "I have kept people from the garden too long" Beckoning he led Arcturus inside. The next hour or so was spent giving him an official tour. The working day had been unexpectedly ended to prepare for the feast and so the halls were empty of all but the essential people.

Arc got a full tour of the nerve centre of the city, from the audience chamber with his throne up behind screens that could be closed or opened to his preference. The seats of the Zaathri and Shaal leaders were just a step below him and on the walls hung the flags and standards of those tribes he had helped. Each had a story to be told, a dispute over something or nothing that in the old way would have meant war but through Darien had led to a settlement.

The mediation halls were next and Darien explained his process and the fact that in the old days, he had to conduct each one himself but now he had trained others in the art and they could keep up with the city's expanding pull. Not all meetings were successful and then Darien had to lay down the law or simply let the tribes or people do what they would. Some things couldn't be mediated and Darien was not willing to set up blood sports in his domain. It would not match the image he cultivated.

The final major point of interest was the city mint. It had not been easy to make the coin press and there had been many problems with currency coming out defective but it was needed. There still weren't enough reliable presses to make a currency that could totally replace bartering but it at least met Darien's supply needs for his walks through the city and perhaps in time he and the Zaathri could work out the kinks in the machinery. The shaal seemed less adept at making the machines but they did contribute by working them, refining the defective coinage by hand and hauling around the cartloads of coin that were required. The feast would no doubt put them behind on the quota for his Ascension Day but perhaps Arc could assist there. Make the presses more efficient and consistent.

That had killed enough time that as soon as Darien had changed into ceremonial wear more befitting a great feast they were ready to go down to the temple. Arcs stone could see him changed if he so chose but for Darien, it was the old-fashioned way. Almost tied into clothing as it was wrapped and draped around him by his dressers, on zaathri and one Shaal Darien soon glowed like the god he claimed to be.

The temple sat at the east side of the Grand Ziggurat. Technically of course the Ziggurat was a part of the temple but ceremonies occurred on the ground. Ceremonies and the hard justice that kept the city functional. Darien did not like sacrifices and his offerings were always sought in terms of wealth or property. The other gods must have their blood though and so every criminal was a sacrifice whether called to loose but a smidge of blood or a whole limb it kept the natives happy.

The hours had been well spent and the temple was adorned in splendid silks and decorations. two thrones had been brought forth Darien's normal one and a more speedily made one. Adapted from a loveseat and adorned with the bones of fallen enemies and warriors. The crowd was a mix of Shaal and Zaathri all standing side by side. Some wore the colours of the same tribe. Darien's tribe. They had been two once split into racial lines but he had ended that by uniting them under him. Even visitors did not dare split along racial lines. It was simply not done. None wished to earn the god of prosperity's disfavour.

Darien's speakers stood at the front of the crowd by the thrones with the temple priests and city leaders. They too were in their best clothes. A table laid with food at the base of the altar and then further back were trestle tables of more food and Darien knew there would be more tables stretched along the streets from the city centre down into the slums. The unsleeping city would ring with revelry late into the night.

Darien only ever spoke publicly on the grand formal events and the crowd waited with bated breath to see if he would speak now or merely let his words be said only by his speakers. A great deal of jubilation met him stepping forward to speak. It was silenced as he raised his hands.

"My people, My honoured guests today is a glorious day of celebration and reward ... Ours is a city built not conquered, built by each of us and not by slaves the blood in these walls is the blood of triumph not defeat, When I arrived with you I told you that I brought with me the end of senseless death, that only by shedding the methods of the past which had kept you base and starving far from my touch and bounty would we grow and we have grown" He paused to let the speakers catch up, his words going into their heads in their own language "The other gods have seen your works and Desdinova himself came forth to see our great works and to call me back to the Pantheon" When those words had been spoken an unease spread through the crowd "That does not mean that I leave you only that the time has come for me to play a wider role, to spread bounty beyond the city as the gods continue to turn the tide of grime darkness, waste, falsehood and greed that ended the old world and kept you so long in a state of dejection" He lowered his hands "Desdinova is pleased with all we have built and that is why he has come , to see that all we have built does not turn again to ruin, that you do not forget again the true path, I know not if he will honour us with his words but he has honoured us with his presence and this feast ... hence fourth the feast of the returning"

Darien stepped back and offered a nod to Arcturus, "The speakers will translate if you tell them what to say, if you wish to speak that is" he said into Arc's mind.

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom