Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Whiskey Remembers

A slight nod of Riggs head was all that was communicated at first in regards to what [member="Alexandra Russo"] had said about Gus' shop being the best place for them to finish the work, which apparently was still quite a bit. Riggs wasn't much of a mechanic, or engineer, but was about to learn some things quickly. If the pair was going to survive in the smuggling, or salvaging, industry, Riggs would have to be helpful in order for them to remain competitive. It was just a fact. The only thing was Riggs would have to not be so stubborn and let the Taanabian teach him.

Surprise filled Riggs when Russo didn't tense or startle at his touch. There was still the sense he was bing held at a distance, but the touch seemed, welcomed where it had not necessarily been before. Was this forward progress, Riggs would count it that way. He had to be the optimistic one of the two. Russo was still adjusting to the fact Riggs was actually alive, but Gus, well, she was about to lose him. The Coruscanti was determined to help walk her through this though. This time, she wasn't going to be alone when it happened. In fact, as far as Riggs was concerned she was never going to be alone ever again.

"Taanab it is then," Riggs said as he stood to grab the plate of bacon. There was always plenty of bacon for breakfast when Riggs cooked.

Riggs washed down the remains of his own breakfast with some caf and poured a refill as he sat down again. His mind was still on the reason they had slept so well. He was convinced it was because they had been together. Riggs woke up holding her. The ability to wake up, knowing she was there, the warmth of her body against his, the touch of his hand on her skin, it told him no matter what his dreams had said, Russo was there. He needed that, and honestly, deep down, Riggs knew Russo needed it too. Whether she would admit it or not was a different matter altogether. The Taanabian pilot was known for her stubbornness, a trait of hers Riggs knew all to well. The trait frustrated him and attracted him all at the same time.

"So.... about needing more sleep like we got last night, you know the only thing different than before was that we were together," Riggs said. He was going to try. "I think we need to be together at night. We can keep each other from drinking, and hold the nightmares off. You can keep your belongings in your cabin, and I promise my hands won't go anywhere you don't want them to."

Riggs stood up and took his empty plate to the sink and washed it off. He grabbed another piece or two of bacon and popped them in his mouth, before picking up his caf and topping it off.

"Think about it at least. I'll be cleaning more R2 units until we reach Taanab."

The captain started to round the corner, but then popped his head back.

"Two things, that copper droid, I was thinking we could keep him. We need one anyone. The other, you look amazing today!"

With that said, Riggs rounded the corner, not waiting for Russo's reaction, on purpose of course. The captain just slid the compliment in on his way to getting more work done. Maybe today would be a no booze day. His mood was much different.

Hope is the elixir of life. (semi-retired)
Russo just shook her head and chuckled softly to herself. Once a fleeter, always a fleeter. Riggs hadn't lost his pretty boy attitude, course he was a guy after all. "Lets just take each night at a time, 'kay… but I'm all for sleeping without nightmares and not drinking as much."

The brunette reached over and took the last piece of bacon off the Coruscanti's plate. That's all she was hungry for right now and didn't want to overload her still uneasy stomach. When the dirty blonde got up, Alex's brandy gaze peeked subtly over the top of her mug mid-sip watching him. Damon sure did cut a pair of jeans just right. He'd always looked good in his uniform too.

Riggs slipped-in sly compliment just as he left the lounge area didn't go unnoticed nor unappreciated either to be honest. "You're not looking so bad yourself, [member="Damon Riggs"]," Russo mumbled back softly, then realized the copper droid was still there, staring at her with its optical eye.

"You didn't hear that… if you know what's good for you," she stated flashing her famous 'glare' at the mechanical creature, then rose from the table a bit huffy to get a refill of caf from the galley. The droid beeped an affirmative as if gulping a nervous "yes ma'am".

After returning topped off with fuel to get her through the next phase of the morning, Alleycat motioned for the R2 unit to follow her to the cockpit. "Come on, Lucky… Yep that's your new name. I guess you're with me then. Let's see if you can help me do a ship diagnostic before we land on Taanab just in case something needs fixing that isn't obvious after that little space dustup back there."

One night at a time was a better answer than no. [member="Alexandra Russo"] was all for no nightmares, and no more drunken nights. Riggs had been serious when he promised that he could refrain from unwanted touch. The Coruscanti native couldn't just tell the woman he loved her, but he had to show her as well. That meant keeping his word and being content to allow things to progress at a pace she was comfortable with.

There was a spring in his step as something had shifted from the night before. The drunken argument didn't help things, but the fact they came together because of Riggs nightmare had. Russo had even let him kiss her forehead that morning. Sure she hadn't joined him in the shower, but that was fine. Riggs honestly never expected her to. He just wanted to leave the door wide open for her to know that nothing had changed in regards to his feelings, and when the time came she wanted to be with him in a more intimate way, Riggs wouldn't be closing the door in her face.

His thoughts were full of the Taanabian beauty as he finished cleaning the other droids. Some were more damaged than others, dirtier than others, but it didn't matter. The time flew by because for the first time since Riggs had gotten Russo back in his life, there was hope her walls were cracking. In fact had he have been in earshot to hear the returned compliment which she had mumbled under her breath, Riggs would likely have had a permanent smile on his face the entire three hours.

As it was, Russo was paging him soon enough to let him know they were ready to land on Taanab, and Riggs made his way to the co-pilot's seat to help with the landing. Russo didn't really need the help, but being an old fleeter, the captain wanted to be on the bridge for take off and landing.

Upon landing, Riggs made two arrangements, one because they needed it, and the other for Russo. First, Riggs arranged for the other 12 droids to be moved to Gus' shop. He couldn't do it by himself, and after the revelation of Gus' terminal illness, Riggs wasn't going to do anything which would keep Russo away longer than she needed to be. The other arrangement was for the lease of the bay the ship had landed in. It was a statement that Russo would hopefully get, but he was going to tell her anyway. Taanab was a great place for them to base their business from, and it allowed her to be there for Gus. If he had to, Riggs would live on the ship, though he was hoping that arrangements would be made so he and Russo could stay together.

Riggs was mostly quiet on the way back to Gus' shop. The captain didn't really know what to say to Russo, or Gus. I'm sorry just didn't seem to be enough, or appropriate. A faint smile appeared when they passed the little cafe where Riggs had pitched the job to Russo. He had a feeling it was going to be a place which received their frequent patronage. Finally they came to the bay door of the shop, the transport carrying the droids arriving just behind them. A strong, but gentle, hand was placed on Russo's shoulder before she keyed in the passcode to open the bay door.

"So I was thinking we could just stay here on Taanab when not away on business. It just feels right to hang around here considering..."

It was the best way Riggs could put what he was thinking, but then he quickly had to smile because the door started to open, with Gus there to meet them.

"Couldn't stay away could ya, kiddo," he said, as Riggs snuck in under the door to give the two a private moment.

"Well you know me, Pops… I like to use the best tools in the galaxy on what I'm fixin' and those would be yours," the brunette replied, then placed a quick peck to the older man's cheek. "Plus, I missed your snoring," she quipped dryly before walking past him following [member="Damon Riggs"] further into the bay; a copper R2 unit rolling close on her heels.

"On our recent salvage job, we came across several useable astromech droids still intact in a blown apart ship. Our plan is to tune them up, then sell them on the secondary market. This little guy here… " Alex said, patting the droid on the top of his copper-colored dome. "We've decided to keep for our personal use so say hi to Lucky… Lucky, this is Gus." The R2 unit tootled a friendly hello for those that knew 'Droid Speak'.

Russo looked at her wrist chrono as she felt her stomach growl, then gazed over at the two men standing there. "I'm starving… How about we get some take out from Mings, then get to work on our project?"

Gus smiled when at the kiss. It was nearing meal time, and a catch of Astromechs would take some repair. He had a feeling the former fleeter didn't know anything about repairing them. Damon's hands weren't calloused enough.

"Why don't you two get set up, and I'll see about the takeout. Use the lift, and take the far bay. I got a repair job coming in the morning."

Gus gave Russo's arm a loving squeeze before she walked past him to follow Riggs in. A small little grin came at the thought of how he popped back in when Gus was getting ready to take off. Alex was going to need him, whether she was ready to admit it or not. Yes, he knew why she had nightmares. He was likely the only one who knew how she truly felt about the fleet captain. Yup, the navy boy was going to be getting the pullout sofa for the night. Grabbing his key card, Gus hopped into his speeder, and took off for Ming's, comming the order in as he drove.

The apartment above the shop didn't look any different than when they left. Riggs was so hungry that after unloading the droids, he went up to the apartment and got some ales from the cold storage for all of them. Riggs could at least admire Gus' selection of ale. It wasn't Corellian, but the Taanabian knew his booze. Funny, not once did Riggs think to look for whiskey, but it wasn't late enough yet.

When Gus came back in with the takeout, they all grabbed a box and started to dig in. It was a good time. Boxes were passed around, and everyone had what the wanted. Of course it was General Solo's with pork fried rice, and he didn't have to, but getting the egg rolls and wontons were a nice touch. The way they all talked it was like they were some happy family. Until Riggs looked over to Russo. She seemed to be enjoying herself, but there was still the issue of the fact she was keeping him at bay. Gus caught it, and the fact the Astromechs came from a salvage job. There had been too many for a simple job. The man was smart.

"So Riggs tell me, did you really come all the way to Taanab to get Russo for a smuggling job?"

The blue eyed captain eyed Russo, then looked over to Gus as he finished chewing. Why did questions come when someone was chewing. He shook his head.

"Not entirely. I also came for an answer to something that's been bugging me for almost a year now," he replied.

"You get your answer?"

Riggs shook his head, then nodded. He kind of got his answer.

"Look, you two need to get with the program. How long since the battle, a year? That's a year down the tubes of feeling sorry for yourselves."

Gus turned to Russo.

"He's here Alex. Now I know you, and life is to short to hold people away from you. Especially if they love you and you love them."

He looked at the both again.

"If you two really love each other then figure it out and fast. It's not complicated. You do or you don't. You want to be together or you don't. You need each other or you don't. Whatever you do, don't run off on all these jobs dancing around the real issue. You guys got a shot at life, not everyone can say that, can they?"

Gus moved his hand to his head. He felt tired suddenly. It was the effects of the treatments which weren't supposed to work, but had a slim chance of doing just that.

"I'm tired. I need to go to bed. You two kids talk, figure it out."

The older man stood up and headed to his room, pointing to the couch as he walked by it. A quick glance to Riggs let him know whatever they figured out, he belonged on the couch. It was his prerogative as "dad."

Riggs sighed. They still had an afternoon to work away. Gus was right though. Now more than ever, Riggs was determined to stop the whiskey.

"So should we get back to work?"

Riggs wasn't sure [member="Alexandra Russo"] would want to talk.

Alex took in what Gus had to say. He was right of course, but she didn't want to acknowledge it. The brunette briefly looked over to [member="Damon Riggs"], then nodded resigned to the fact that they would have to at least talk.

"Mkay, Gus…. Get some rest."

The Taanabian downed the rest of her ale after she watched the older man retire to his room, then rose and started to clean off the table, putting the leftovers in the cooling unit. Russo grabbed two more ales, then handed Riggs one of chilled bottles.

"Let's go up to the roof and enjoy the sunset. I'm too full to work on the droids right now… We can work on them in the morning."

They took the fire escape up to the roof and found two lounge chairs already set out as if this was something done regularly by the residents. Alex got comfy on one of them and cracked the ale and took a good pull off of it, then looked out at the descending orange-red fire ball in the sky.

"So what do you think of my homeworld so far? Too country for a city boy like yourself?" she asked the Coruscanti, making small talk first. It was safer and easier to handle.

"The sunset huh?"

Riggs had never taken the time to appreciate a sunset. It wasn't really something one did on Coruscant. The time served on one ship or the other also kept him really enjoying it. A simple pleasure others knew, but Riggs didn't. How could he say no when it was a Russo asking, and with another ale too. A yawn snuck its way past Riggs, and he just nodded when Russo said they could work on the droids in the morning. They had slept well the night before, but the hangover the pair shared had taken its toll. The emotional experience the last couple of days had been left Riggs mentally exhausted also, so the small talk was appreciated.

Nearly falling into the chair, Riggs popped the cap on the ale and took a decent drink as he let the colors of the setting sun do their thing. He never knew that a sunset could be so pretty, and in that moment, realized what he had missed in the city. A smile could be seen on the former fleeter. The glass bottle came up to his lips once more before answering, however, because Riggs really thought Ketch knew his ale.

"I like it here actually. It's very different than what I'm used to on Coruscant, but there is something about it that makes think this place is a great spot to call homebase."

Riggs looed over to Russo. It was his turn to ask a question. This was his small talk worked.

"So how long have you been coming up here?"

[member="Alexandra Russo"]

"Well if anything Taanab is centrally located with easy access so yeah it would make a good home base to work from in our business."

Russo could sense [member="Damon Riggs"] was looking at her so she took another nice pull from her ale bottle before answering his question, then the brunette turned her head to look at the ruggedly good looking former navy captain.

"Ever since Gus took me in… Each time the old dog taught me another constellation until I knew them all, and then he shared his many exploits as a fighter pilot during the great galactic war. It's what sold me on being one myself."

Another long pull on her ale and it was all gone. Russo sighed, then pushed up off the lounge chair and stood.

"I need another ale…Want one?" the brunette asked as she began to walk between their chairs. The small talk had already brought up powerful memories that Alex didn't want to face as they made her feel something that was better left tucked away deep down inside where it was safe.

Riggs could already see the signs of more walls being built up by [member="Alexandra Russo"]. The former fleeter was determined to keep her from putting more obstacles up. He knew he had gotten through them before, and was starting to again, but his question got too close to the next loss she new she was going to have. Damon understood though. The fleeter had done the same, despite knowing it was not a good thing to do, he held his parents out for some time, but finally had let them help him break the way he needed to, a very healthy way. Russo wasn't going to have the healthy break she needed if she kept pressing everything deep inside.

A firm hand gripped Russo's arm, though it was a gentle grip at the same time. Riggs stood, his blue pools meeting her brandy tinted eyes. Eyes were supposed to be the window into a person's soul, and Riggs could see the pain in Russo's. She didn't need another ale. Alex needed to know she wasn't alone. This time Riggs wasn't drunk, and neither was Russo. It was time to confront the issue while sober.

"You don't really need another ale, you know that right," Riggs asked, his eyes still locked on hers. "Alex, no more walls. It's time to stop running and hiding. This isn't like before. I'm going to be right here this time. You're not alone."

Riggs sat back down on the lounge chair, taking Russo with him. He leaned back in the chair, just holding her, no matter how indifferent she wanted to seem, Riggs knew deep down, somewhere, this was what she needed. Ketch had been there for her when her parents were killed, now it was Riggs turn. Alex just needed to see there was always someone there. Loss was hard, a part of life, but hard. They had both experienced more than anyone should, and lived with the guilt that they should have been counted among those of their units which had perished. Even then, Ketch had been there for Russo. In a way it was if his passing, shortly after Damon's return, was a form of passing on the baton. Riggs was determined to be there in whatever way Russo wanted, and needed, him to be.

"Show them to me, the constellations. I want to learn them. If this is going to be home base, I want to be familiar with what I'm seeing when I look into the night sky."

Of course Russo had only gotten a couple of steps before Riggs stayed her forward motion by grabbing her arm. Brandy eyes fashioned the Coruscanti one of her famous glares as they stood nose to nose, well close anyways him being taller by a few inches, as he was adamate about no more walls. She didn't hold it for long though as he quickly pulled her down with him back onto his lounger chair. Alex bristled a bit, then relaxed against Damon when the man asked her to show him the constellations.

Resting her head back against his shoulder, Russo gazed up into the clear night sky. "Alright…. Well I always start by finding the North Star. It's the brightest one. It also anchors the Little Dipper, which is part of the Ursa Minor Constellation, better know as the "Little Bear". Next, locate the Big Dipper, which is part of the Ursa Major Constellation, or the "Big Bear". Once you find those two, the rest will fall into place," she said, then reached for Riggs' half-drank ale.

Riggs could smell Russo's perfume as she leaned against his shoulder. Her scent was intoxicating, and it left the former fleet captain wanting to brush her brunette locks out of the way so he could kiss her neck several times over. He didn't care that she was clearly frustrated that he called her on the fact she kept building walls. Blue eyes looked to where she was pointing, and found the star she indicated. Riggs quickly identified the shapes [member="Alexandra Russo"] told him to find. There was movement of her other hand toward his half finished ale. She was going to try and take it, which he let her, but only because her hair moved aside as she did.

"Gods I love the stars," he said. "They are so beautiful, just like you."

Riggs took his free hand and turned Russo's face toward his. Glancing into her eyes now, Riggs did what he should have done a long time ago. The other night he had been drunk, upset, and not in any condition to kiss her they way she deserved to be kissed. Tonight though, he wasn't drunk. Riggs pressed his lips to Russo's, capturing them with a fiery passion. The kiss said everything his words could not, and hopefully did some damage the wall she kept him from getting through. It was what he should have done that day in his ready room, but his professional side had gotten in the way as the battle alarm rang. From now on that wasn't going to happen.

Gods Riggs was a good kisser. Russo couldn't ignore his advances and kissed him back in like. It felt so good to a degree, though there was still that little voice in the back of her head saying no, don't go there.

After they broke for air, Alex placed her hand upon Damon's chest to stay anything further from happening even though deep down inside she wanted him to just take her. Be done with it as the want and desire just hung over them all the time. But, she couldn't, just couldn't let it happen. At least not yet...

"I need to cheek on Gus, then I think I'll just turn in. There's extra pillows and blankets in the hall closet. Good night, Riggs."

With that said, Russo disengaged herself from him and grabbed her empty ale bottle, then went back down stairs; her mind a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

At least the captain went out swinging. Russo only managed to convince Riggs of one thing. The way she kissed him back told him she wanted him as much as he wanted her. Yet, she was still hiding behind Gus, and whatever excuses he didn't know about. It was almost like she was trying to convince herself she didn't really want to be in loved with the captain. All Riggs could was nod. Though he did stop her briefly.

"Tell Gus thank you for me, hmmm?"

Riggs let her go with that. They were tired, but Riggs took the time to nurse the rest of his ale and look at the stars before heading in. By the time he had a pillow and blanket for himself on the couch, Russo was in her loft and seemed out. They emotions had been taxing for them both, and Riggs felt exhausted too. When his head hit the pillow, he fell asleep quickly. It didn't last long though as the ale caught up with him a few hours later.

The fleeter wearily stumbled his way to the fresher, and after relieving himself, went back to the couch. When he made his way back to the couch, he was a bit more awake. His ears caugh the sound of something all too familiar, the restless tossing and turning which came from the nightmares of a sober mind. Last night it had been Riggs, tonight it was Russo. Whether it was nightmares or not, Riggs assumed that to be the case. He grabbed his pillow and walked up the flight of stairs to the loft and stopped by the matress. Taking a knee, he placed his hand on Russo's shoulder, and gently rubbed her back in an attempt to calm her.

"Alex, you're gonna be just fine," he said softly, "I told you I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here."

Riggs would stay until she calmed down. If she didn't soon then he would get in the bed and hold her.

[member="Alexandra Russo"]

Alleycat's nightmares were always the same; they were the last five minutes of the battle that took everyone she cared about presently from her. First it was Torch as he selflessly took a hit meant for her, then she watched helplessly as the Inquisitor blew apart with Riggs on it followed by her R2 unit squealing his goodbye before ejecting her from the fighter before being vaped. And, it always ended up the same way by Russo sitting up in a ball of sweat screaming "Nooooooooooo!" and alone...

This time there were a pair of familiar strong arms to hold her and calming words to soothe the Taanabian. Russo wearing her preferred sleep wear clung to Riggs crying on his shoulder until all her tears were all spent. Little hiccups came then as she realized who was holding her and why. Soulful brandy eyes gazed into concerned blue orbs, searching them with only the moonlight outside illuminating the loft's darkness. Something in her changed in that moment and allowed a wall to come down, then Alex captured Damon's lips in a hungry kiss and pulled the Coruscanti down with her as she lay back onto the bed.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Riggs was there to catch Russo as she sprung up screaming. For the first time since that day which changed their lives, she didn't have to feel alone. Strong arms held her as she cried on his shoulder. The bare chested smuggler could feel the warm wet of her tears as they fell from her cheeks and slid down his back. The kiss was unexpected, even more so was the fact she pulled him to her. Riggs had no desire to stop her from what would happen should she continue kissing him the way she was. The tension between the two had been very thick and heavy since Riggs showed up on Tanaab, and this was the moment to take care of it.

Riggs returned each kiss with the same hunger. The only time either of them stopped was when they needed to breath. Clothes were tossed aside as the passion grew. The moments which followed had been a year or more in the making. A battle had stolen it from them, but now they took their moment back, at least Riggs did. Nothing was going to keep him from taking whatever part of herself. Russo was willing to give. He loved her, desired her, so everything happened on her timeframe.

The next morning Riggs and Russo woke up in a tangled mess of sheets and each other. On his part Riggs slept well. He caught brandy eyes looking at him, seemingly just opened also.

"Good morning... though maybe I should get back on that couch before Gus wakes up? Though you sure surprised me!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom