Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private What Remains

Dantooine had been absolute horror for Alina. Not because of the enemy that invaded the Sith, but the allies. Or what was supposed to be their allies. The Graug, monstrous beings that had no business being in the Sith Empire, turned on the pack of Acolytes simply because they refused to allow the Graug to murder innocents. They chose to follow their Empress. The Graug swarm killed most of these acolytes, leaving only Alina, Iasha Rha Iasha Rha , and a legionnaire by the name of Ruek Tast Ruek Tast as the survivors. Barely. Iasha's near sacrifice saved Alina and the legionnaire, and they were only barely able to rescue Iasha from the tomb of earth that had once been the Crystal Caverns.

It hadn't been too long after the rescue and retreat of the NIO that Alina was once more facing the remains of the cavern. She wasn't alone, of course. Several groups of Storm Troopers were here trying to dig out any other survivors. That's why she was there. If there was even a chance another of the acolytes had survived, she would find them. Her arm was still in a sling, very badly broken, but that mattered little. The Empire Protects. She got about digging pretty much immediately, keeping her distance from the troopers. They couldn't see the tears streaming down her face as she broke through rubble and crystal alike.

They couldn't see her weakness.

Lark Lark

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Against the galaxy's wishes, Lark woke up.

The past hour was nothing more than a hazy memory. He remembered the final clash he shared with Enlil Enlil , and the devastation it had produced. Glistening azure crystals rained down upon them, and a horrifying dark aura protruded the cavern that Lark lay in. His body was covered in lacerations and shredded patches of skin, buried within a coffin of cerulean crystals and shattered stalactites. And most grievous of all was the rupture of flesh just above his hip. The King's malignant blade had nearly sawed him in half, only his quick reactions and a lucky shift of the blade had prevented his whole body from being torn asunder.

Both Enlil and Lark had failed in their duties, though at least the radiant King was able to muster the strength to walk away from the encounter under his own power. Lark had remained on the cold, abyssal floor, desperately dragging his mangled body to where he thought his allies might await him. And then the cavern collapsed, and whatever had not fallen from the duel between Rat and King finally entombed the nameless acolyte.

Only pure willpower and the influence of the Dark Side preserved him. If he were to pass, at least his coffin would be a beautiful one. The light from the crystals was resplendent, a far better sight than he deserved in death.

But no, he refused to die here. His gaze was intense as the most rapturous star, yet as cold as the deepest ocean. One hand at a time, he clawed his way towards the surface, scratching his already wounded hands on the sharp crystals. He felt no pain. The Dark Side would bind his wounds, at least until he found a proper medic to treat him.

As he crawled towards the surface, he remembered nearly dying. Dark tendrils had clouded his vision, nearly consuming his entire mind. Moments later, Lark made death retreat in fear. It was not ready to claim dominion over him.

And, he remembered the parting words Enlil had made. But just as death was not yet ready to claim Lark, he was not yet ready to address the words the King had spoken. In time, Lark knew he would need to face the proclamation the valorous noble had made. Though he wouldn't admit it, the words had touched a part of him. Alas, survival came first.

A bloody hand broke the surface, emerging from the sea of crystal.

Alina Tremiru Alina Tremiru

Alina nearly yelped as a bloody hand ripped through the crystal she was digging through. Panic was clear in her eyes. The only thing that came to mind was the Graug. The memories burned in her mind flashed forward, and she made no move asides from her shaking. But it wasn't the hand of one of those monsters. A survivor? Her voice broke as she started to call out to the troopers, though she quickly got control of it. "O.. Over here! A survivor!" She went back to the hand, starting to dig him out.

More troopers came. It'd take some time, but eventually all of Lark Lark would be pulled free. Alina blinked in horror at just the extent of his wounds. She didn't recognize him, but was he one who was taken down by the Graug? Unfortunately, there were no other survivors. It was a frustrating thing to go through, digging up the corpses of all those acolytes who were with her. She didn't know their names. Hell, the crystals didn't leave enough of them for her to even know their faces.

The only survivor was the bloody body of a Sith who seemed to refuse to die.

The young woman stayed close to him. Iasha had been taken off world to be healed, but he wasn't in any condition for that movement. Instead, they treated him here. With the battle over he was at least safe. Maybe he'd have answers. Anything about what happened in the caves or why the Graug turned on them. Was it just the Graug? Or the ones in charge?

Didn't matter, not if the boy died.

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Lark allowed himself be dragged out of his cyanic coffin. Sith medics delicately removed pieces of crystal piercing his flesh, washing and sanitizing them to prevent infection. But most of the attention went to the gash on his hip. The gems he had been lying on were painted a scarlet red, he had lost a substantial amount of blood. But as he lay on his back letting them work, vision becoming clearer and less clouded, he knew that he wasn't going to die today. But Lark would not soon forget the hum of angels and devils that sang in his mind as those tendrils of darkness crept towards him. The tune had been almost alien. But peaceful. Accepting, even. No matter how many sins one might commit, death came for everyone in the same manner. It did not discriminate, did not hate.

But which of the parties tried to comfort him? The angels or the devils?

Lark would uncover that secret one day. But for now he simply lounged and let the medics do there work, acting as though he hadn't just been a few moments from death. They worked quickly and efficiently, they were the best the Empire had to offer. After an hour or two, he felt a bit sore, but at least he wasn't falling apart anymore. Most of the scratches on his arms and legs were no more that faded scars, almost like freckles on his pale skin. But the laceration on his hip would take a bit more time to completely heal. That was fine, it would be a constant reminder of the story that unfolded deep in the caverns of Dantooine.

He rose from the medic's table, most of the searching in the surrounding chambers had concluded. Lark had been the only survivor found, which meant that Enlil must have escaped before the tunnels collapsed. The two of them had been the only ones in this grotto of the cave, though he remembered hearing the howls of the Graug echo deeper within.

But there was something else he searched for. Kicking aside a few stray crystals, he found what he was looking for, blending in with the palette of teal and turquoise colors. The hilt of the enchanted blade gifted to him by his former master, which had feasted upon the King's blood for its final meal. The weapon was shattered, ripped apart by the same blade that nearly brought his own life to an end. Lark wasn't sure how that had happened, and why his dagger had resisted the same strike. Since I've joined the Sith, you've been my constant companion. Always by my side, you've been with me through every battle. Every war. Thank you, old friend. May you find peace here amongst the crystals. He tossed it to the ground, and it rattled with a few dull clangs. It was nothing more than a useless hunk of metal now.

Turning his back from his discarded blade, Lark went back towards where the medics had established a more permanent presence. The young woman who had rescued him from his near burial was there, broken arm in a sling. She seemed nervous, scared, perhaps in a bit of shock. Had she been down here in the caverns as well? Lark wasn't sure he'd be able to help, wounds of the mind were significantly more difficult to heal than wounds of the body. But she might have saved his life. The least he could do was offer his thanks.

"I'd like to thank you," Lark said kindly, soft voice a noticeable contrast to the harsh atmosphere that often followed battle. He sensed that the Empire was victorious, but down here in these haunted depths, it seemed as though there wasn't much to celebrate. "My name is Lark. I'm not sure what would've became of me if you hadn't found me among the rubble."

Lark leaned against the cavern wall, taking a moment to catch his breath. He was still a bit lightheaded, hopefully that would clear up soon. "Do you... know what happened here? I've been a little busy being buried alive for the past few hours." After he had collapsed, he didn't remember much. Darkness, the a horizon of crystals trapping him. A few had fallen during his fight with Enlil, but not nearly enough to completely cover him and the rest of the chamber. Had there been a bombing strafe? Some trap laid by the NIO?

The hint of a memory resurfaced, Lark letting out bellow of pure rage as death approached him. The walls of the cave had shook, almost trembling in fear. Surely not? There was no way all this had happened because of that scream.

But why did Lark feel a bit responsible for it?

Exhaustion had finally settled in for Alina once Lark Lark approached her. She hadn't been sleeping since the start of this battle, and after all the fighting she had to do, from getting blown up to facing down the hoard, it was no surprise she'd be asleep when the other acolyte found her. Him getting close hard her jump in her seat, paranoia clear in her eyes. Ready to keep fighting. Thankfully she didn't have to. "Lark. It's good to see you not covered in blood." She cleared her throat as she shifted in her seat to get a more defensive posture, as if he was a threat.

"I'm Alina. We.. The acolytes that I were with had tried to stop the Graug from killing our own people, and the Graug turned on us. The only way we knew how to stop them was to overload the crystals, which well. That's why the cavern collapsed." She and the others had been directly responsible for the caverns collapse, or at least a mass majority of it. Her gaze fell after a moment, hugging herself. "What happened to you? You weren't with my group. What messed you up so much?"

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Lark remained silent as the young woman spoke, not missing the wary posture she took. He was not offended, for he was aware of the fearfulness that often took hold of people once a vicious battle had concluded. He took a slight step back, not immediately noticeable, but he hoped the slight distance would put her at ease. So too did he hold his hands in front of himself, in a position of peace. Even the most delicate motions might affect someone's mindset when it was most vulnerable. Alina was scared, frightful. Clearly harboring some trauma from what she had witnessed. So, Lark listened. For the moment, that was all he could think to do.

Ah, so her group was the one engaged with the Graug. Lark remembered hearing that cacophony of hellish roars, their howls very well could have signaled the end of times. It was fortunate that those beasts hadn't interrupted his own battle. The revelation regarding how the caverns had collapsed was a bit of a relief. But although he didn't know the exact details, he still couldn't help but think his own actions had also contributed to the collapse. He didn't question why the Graug had turned on Sith acolytes. Those were mindless, wretched beasts. Monstrosities that Lark never had the mind to summon. No, such savagery had no place by his side.

"I fought... a very powerful NIO warrior." Lark was hesitant to reveal too much about the King. Though they were enemies, Lark could feel a mutual respect that the two felt for each other. Enlil's origins were for now a secret, one that Lark had worked to uncover. It felt wrong to freely share such delicate information. So he'd keep that part to himself, at least for now. "It was a battle unlike any I had ever fought. Eldritch energies and primordial fires met in a graceful dance, and neither emerged victorious. The man's blade seemed as though it had the power to carve galaxies into two..."

Lark chuckled softly, idly rubbing the remnants of the wound on his chest. "I'm proud to say I was able to offer my dying blade a taste of the man's blood. I greatly look forward to meeting him again."

He regarded the woman once more. She did seem afraid. A poor quality for a Sith to have. Though Lark did not approach such vulnerabilities as harshly as others among their order might have. Perhaps that showed a bit of weakness within him. But until he was proven otherwise, he'd confront such ordeals in his own way. "Is there anything I can do for you, Alina? You saved my life, I would not hesitate to help you if I'm able."

Despite the trauma she might have faced, Lark tried to put emphasis on the good she had done.

Eldritch energies and a blade that could split the galaxy in two? Just the story of this was enough to compound the fear Alina felt. She was completely useless. How could she compete with this if she couldn't even use the Force to begin with? She really didn't want to seem weak in front of another Sith, but she was certain Lark Lark could feel her fear. She lifted up her knees, hugging them tightly to her chest. "That's good, that you were able to stand up to such a power."

The crippling self doubt was apparent as ever as she stared at the floor. She killed many of those monstrous beings, but it didn't help to loose so many. The Empire protects. But she couldn't protect a single thing. All those acolytes who died. Having to be saved by Iasha. She let out a sigh and shook her head at his offer. "I don't know anything that could help me right now. But.. Thanks. For offering."

The compassion caught her completely off guard. She peered at him closely. It wasn't a sort of Sith thing that they did, try and comfort one another. At least, not from what she'd seen. "What do you plan to do now?"

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Lark sensed the woman's trepidation, her doubt. It wasn't unusual, at least from several acolytes he had encountered over the years, for one to feel some sense of nervousness and uncertainty upon joining the Sith. Indeed, those who had shown a bit more awareness and reflected on what they were and were not immediately capable of typically survived longer than the prideful braggarts who though it would be their destiny to rule the galaxy. It was true that if Alina was not able to break free from this stupor of self-doubt, she would be eaten alive by those who were able to push past whatever obstacles they faced. The Sith broke people in ways that Lark had never imagined possible before his joining, and from those shattering's one could grow stronger. It was the way of things, and it would ultimately be Alina's choice whether she felt up to weathering that storm.

But still, she had survived this barbarity when so many others had not. Lark left his spot by the cavern wall, and went and fetched a pitcher of water and a few cups near one of the medical tents. The water was usually reserved for patients actively being treated, but since there weren't many survivors Lark didn't feel as though he was taking a valuable resource. He poured two cups, and set one by Alina. "You should drink that," Lark started, as he slunk against the wall opposite her, wincing as the wound on his hip twisted. "Its funny, people never seem to notice how dry their throats are after battle." He took a swig from his own cup, letting the cool, refreshing liquid dance down his throat, removing the crusty feeling that filled him. "Take small sips if you need to. But I promise, it does help."

"I'm unsure what I'll do next,"
he said, staring at the ravaged cavern ceiling. A few hours ago it had been overgrown with a beautiful array of cerulean crystals, but now the walls were bleak and barren. Troops had to shovel away gems on the ground to create a path just so they could move around. The destruction down here was evident enough, what would the devastation on the surface look like? "My enchanted sword was destroyed, I'll need to acquire a replacement soon. And there are always some sorts of misadventures that I somehow manage to stumble into."

Lark chuckled gently, and met her eyes. His gaze was comforting, with a degree of understanding. "And you, Alina? What will you do next? How do you plan on overcoming this uncertainty you face?" He was not accusatory, he was not cruel.

He only wanted to help as best he could.

Water? Alina blinked slowly as she looked at the cup, not entirely sure if she should. But Lark Lark was right. She hadn't taken any kind of break, even just to take a drink. She was only going to take small sips, but the second she felt the soothing effect it had on her dry as can be throat she immediately downed the whole glass. Her gaze fell back to the other acolyte as she listened to him. His enchanted sword was broken? That's.. Pretty interesting. That he was going to go get a new one.

His question caught her off guard.

"I.. Don't know. I've no skill. Nothing to use in the Force. Or at least, I don't think so. Maybe I should find something I can do, I guess."

Lark

Saint of the Damned
"I do not know you story," Lark began, still seated on the damp cavern floor. "I know not what brought you to the Sith, why you fight, or what you hope to achieve here. And I know that survival does not always seem like something worth celebrating. But I do not believe that you're without skill. Not if you can survive an onslaught of Graug." He was slow to stand, and held his arm against his lower chest as he slid up against the wall, dripping with moisture. It was cool, and soothed the wounds that covered his body like freckles.

"I know the pain you feel right now. At least part of it." Lark had never truly felt the same horror that so many others seemed to feel. He wasn't sure what it was about him that simply didn't care about what he faced, no matter how terrifying or destructive his opposition was. That facet of his personality might bring upon his doom one day. Certainly, that had almost happened here, against Enlil. But though he could not pretend to understand the terror Alina faced, he could understand loss. "Yes. I know what its like, not having the power to protect those around you. If there is only one sentence of mine that you believe, let it be that one." His gaze grew distant for a moment, as he remembered those painful days on Myrkr. "I'd be lying if I said it got easier. We're rarely given the opportunities to amend our shortcomings. Instead, all we can do is be better. Be prepared for next time. Understand that there are still battles that can be fought, allies that can be saved. True failure only comes when one completely surrenders."

A bit of commotion coming for the medical tent distracted him. And not the good kind. Lark had sensed that the battle was all but won for the Sith, but there was more than one reason it didn't feel like complete victory.

"There's a squadron of NIO soldiers still holding out within a cavern a ways away from here," Lark relayed to Alina, picking up the discarded rifle from a fallen soldier. It had been a while since he had used a weapon like this, but he was confident he'd still prove a decent shot. "They've been harassing nearby medics, and there aren't many Sith down here to protect them. I'll be joining the effort to wipe them out." That was the way Lark was. Unless there was a good drink, a good book, or good company in front of him, he could not sit still. "I understand that you're hurt. But I'd truly feel better with you alongside me, even if you're unable to fight directly."

"There's a place for you here, Alina. It is up to you to discover what that place is."

He was right. Surviving the Graug wasn't something that a nobody could do. And her master wouldn't be her master if there wasn't something redeemable. She rested her chin on her knees, hugging them tighter to her chest as her gaze turned to the floor before her. Lark Lark hadn't given her a reason not to believe him, not yet at least. And it didn't seem like he would. He was being far too kind. It didn't make sense to butter her up. If he didn't want to be in her debt, there were far easier ways to go about it.

Her gaze flicked to him as he stood up, momentarily worried. He'd been hurt pretty bad. Even walking here probably hurt. She didn't say anything though. She didn't know what to say. What to do. Honestly the fact she didn't know made her feel terrible. He'd come this way to check in on her and try to cheer her up. Alina's mind raced as she tried to think up something to show she did appreciate this, only to be interrupted by the commotion outside. Her gaze lifted and glanced to Lark.

He was going to go fight? In his state?

Alina pushed herself up from her chair, wincing as she moved her broken arm the wrong way in the process. She stood tall regardless, nodding her head. Her arm was broken. She couldn't use the Force. But she wasn't done fighting. She went right over to the same fallen soldier and pulled out the blaster pistol. That would do fine for one hand.

"Lead the way."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom