Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it about this place and bounty hunters…

Corvus smiled. For someone that walked around in robes and waved a lightsaber with regularity, she was self-conscious of the white robes she wore now. “In truth, Taeli has been doing her best to get me to wear dresses – but as much as I want to, the opportunities are infrequent. But then, when you’re working all day, every day, when’s the opportunity for social wear?”

“And swoop gangs? Firstly, they tend to find you, but in a place like this, look for cleared rubble that suggests a race-track – that’s the best way.”

She frowned slightly, “I’m fine, honestly. It was a brief fight – I went over on my bad ankle and broke a couple of ribs and added a few new scars on my torso. Nothing major. It was the reason I was cranky about armour. Even when you can best them with a saber, they’re wearing stuff that a saber can’t penetrate. The next time I’m called into an invasion, I’ll no doubt be up in space, using my new ship. The Bastila Shan. Designed specifically for Battle Meditation. She’s beautiful.”

“Anyway, you’re in charge – remember? Lead on…”

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor was out surveying the area before them listening to Corvus talk and keep up the rear, sticking out like a sore thumb so hopefully she would act as an attractive beacon in more ways than one for any pushers trying to make a fast credit. He stood atop a small pile pillars and closed his eyes to listen and feel for signs of life – anything, be it swoops or gangs or anything.

”You’d look rather fetching in a dress Corvy. Remind us all you’re not ALWAYS a Jedi, remember? I will get that into you one day."

His eyes opened, and he turned to look down at her after she explained her injuries, and it made him slightly angry that she had been picked upon by a Sith.

”I hope you gave just as good as you got if not better."

Turning his head back to look down a stretch between some low lying buildings, Connor jumped down and pointed up to a building on the left.

”There. Some activity in that building, I’ll scope it out. You stay here with your ship and rest your ankle – I’ll be back, don’t worry."

He broke out into a jog towards the building, hopping over rubble along street that was seemingly makeshift. The building on his side of the street was only 3 stories, and he could look back and make out the ship and Corvus in her angelic robes quite clearly, so their arrival would have been noted by whoever was in.

----

It didn’t take long, about 10 minutes, for Connor to get what he needed. A simple exchange of credits and gentle nudge to the stomach with a lightsaber hilt was enough to convince the two women and two men inside that he wasn’t here to clamp on their illegal street racing and gambling, but he wanted information.

Stepping back out into the light, checking over his shoulder, Connor mulled over what he had been told as he walked back to Corvus. He smiled.

”What, were you expecting the bad guys to fall out of the window and the building to explode or something?"

He walked around her, talking.

”This is the right location, but wrong area. There is a large acid pool to the North of this city surrounded by a canyon. It’s not fortified, it’s just a canyon, but it’s home to, get this, Iridonian pirates. Swoop racers, smugglers, traders and prostitutes. So they said."

With a clasp of his hands, Connor stood on the ramp.

”I bet they’ve come to make cruiser load of extortion money to get a Hutt on side to open up who knows what chances for their dirty business to flourish with the might of a Hutt behind them. The perfect front. Kidnap a baby, set up the Sith as the ones pulling the strings – sorted. One Sith? Please. Want to hop over there in this beast? I don’t think you should walk all the way. I get the feeling this will be a walk in the park."

He grinned.

”Admit it, you’re impressed."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus watched Connor rush ahead, ever the intrepid explorer. One days she’d chat to him about the Code and conquering recklessness. Sometimes it is vital to arrive after everyone else. But she enjoyed his proactiveness, so decided not to press the point.

“When am I not a Jedi? Even at that barbecue, the one chance I had to wear a dress, there was that assassination attempt. Good thing I’d kept my Jedi boots on instead of high heels.”

She watched him survey the area, his sight no doubt only part of what he used to search. And then he jumped down and indicated a particular building. Part of her wanted to follow him – out of spite – but she decided instead to wait for him to return. She’d give him ten minutes.

Which he cut mighty fine – but the grin on his face suggested he’d been successful. “OK, your assistant is impressed – and yes, I’d love to fly us there. All those extra take-offs and landings. I probably need the practice.”

“And walks in the park are precisely the sort that get you mugged.” Corvus feigned a limp as she got back on her ship and took off again. “So, do you want to park around the back and sneak up on them, or in their front yard and make a dramatic entrance. Or I do a line in crashing into the building. It’s not cheap but it has the most impact, in more ways than one.”

She smiled and awaited his response.

Tapping his fingers on the arms of the co-pilot chair as Corvus took off smoother than before, Connor watched the city move underneath them.

”Personally I’d love you to take this thing right in the heart of their hideout. Total confusion, mass panic, we jump out, grab the baby blob and get out….ahh, well we’d need a good ship for that and we don’t know their stock. Mm."

He ran fingers over his chin and looked out the cockpit for a moment. Maybe Corvus could see part of him wasn’t joking about taking the ship in now!

”Ok. This may benefit you and your limp more, so I say we act like shadows because you’re dressed like one…sort of…so out the back and sneak up. Maybe we can avoid a mugging if we hide behind trees…or rocks or something."

Connor shrugged and chuckled, the park analogy failing miserably. As he let Corvus pilot their ship up and over the city, the gang were right – a large canyon with a wonderfully acidic-looking, steaming pool of liquid was just away from the main nexus of buildings. A strange sight indeed. The landing wasn’t as good as before, but he let that go as she came down on the other side of the canyon.

”Why is it whenever we get into trouble it’s always canyons, and rocky places? Can’t we have a nice tropic hideaway or a simple metropolis to navigate? You better watch your footing out there."

Leading the way to the rear of the sleek ship, Connor stepped out and stretched again – half tiredness, half adrenaline kicking in. Walking forward a few steps, crouching lower and lower each time, he scurried up and over to the top of the canyon plateau where they were and looked down.

It was much like the Jundland Wastes on Tatooine – almost a circular tier of walkways from the canyon wall leading down to the acid pool but with numerous caves and outcroppings. On the other side of the canyon, a few tiers down, a collection of swoop bikes rested. To the side of that, a couple of small fighters. On the ground, by the acid pool, a modified gunship that looked like an old Republic design. Connor frowned and turned back to Corvus.

”Looks like lots of firepower to wreak havoc around this city and neighbouring planets, but nothing more. Are you ready to find a baby and then get the hell out of here?”"

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus listened, whilst Connor pontificated. “Out front…no around the back. Agreed.” She adjusted course so they’d approach without being spotted.

“I can do sneaky, and I’m not limping, OK? I just favour my right foot slightly.” She set them down as smoothly as she could given the uneven ground and expected a barbed - although good-natured comment. None came. But she expected he was thinking it.

“I have never been to a tropic hideaway in my life, and would no doubt be bored in five minutes. A volcanic island was the closest I ever came.”

“Beaten by a guuuurl…” she muttered under her breath. “Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, find baby and get the hell out. Sounds like my sort of plan.”

She limped dramatically to the exit and punched the button to lower the ramp. The heat was oppressive at this time of day - armour was never designed for desert climates. “Lead on my…leader.” She looked perplexed she couldn’t think of a better word. So she smiled instead.

Rubbing his face with both hands, he watched Corvus ham it up for everything she was worth. For a mighty Grandmaster in her sleek Shadow robes, Connor just saw…Corvus. Full of cheek and not as naïve as everyone thought her to be. He turned his head, narrowing one eye at her as she muttered and mumbled and hobbled out.

”What did you say? Beaten by a what? Is this the Sith you faced or something? It’s clear in your state if you beat a Sith the it’s clear they were one of more clever and well-made Sith out there and clearly it was a ploy to let you go. You’re lucky they didn’t take that pretty little head."

With a smile, he held his hand forward to lead the way.

”And you’re the Grandmaster, why am I leading? I’m a reckless Rogue remember. I’ll just get you into - "

The sound of a blaster bolt shot out, but the impact and spark from the ship above them made them both jump and instantly drop. Connor’s eyes went wide, and he looked to his ally.

” – trouble."

”Show your face or we come and take your ship and toss you over the canyon!”

A voice boomed out from down below, echoing around the rocks.

”Great. Just great. Looks like the back way wasn’t as effective as I thought."

”Come on out!”

Connor closed his eyes and sighed. He then spoke again, resting a hand on hers.

”Trust in the Force you say? Forget that – right now I trust in you. Let me go down, I’ll negotiate something or whatever, buy time. You think you can get down there and effectively back me up if I convince them I’m alone, you can come in all guns blazing?"

Another shot cracked out overhead. Connor hoped her ship wouldn’t look a mess after this trip.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus smiled. Looking back, that Sith on the volcanic island hadn’t put up much of a fight. He clearly let her win – there was no other explanation.

“And you’re leading because I was firmly placed as your assistant.”

He didn’t get his next sentence out before the shot range out. As they dropped to the ground, Corvus smiled. “Trouble in the rubble. It has a ring to it.”

As he explained his plan she did her best…honestly she really, really, really, really did her best but she couldn’t help herself. She rolled her eyes. “He took a pot-shot at us. Only birds can’t count – except ravens, who can apparently – but that’s another story for another day. If you go alone he’ll only ask where the beautiful angel is. And that’s me by the way. But try it, at least you can distract him and I can skirt around him, if he’s alone, we should have no trouble taking him on.”

“Well what are you waiting for…shoo.”

Looking is disbelief at her, Connor just gave up and sighed loudly, and pointed his finger at her.

”The day you learn to fly and stop getting us into trouble, then you can call yourself an angel. Until then – zip it."

Connor pulled his lightsaber hilt and tossed it to the ground beneath her legs. He span and scrambled up the rocks, to the lip and threw his hands up, noting the incline that would lead down to the tier where the rifleman was. Not an old man, which probably explained the rash shots and shouting, no more than late teens. Out to make a fast few credits. The rifle went up on Connor as he stumbled down the incline, hands waving in the air.

”Don’t shoot – ok, ok - friends!”

”What the hell are you and what you doing here?”

”I’m with the OS, not much more than basic admin really – here to offer something I found that you may want, please!”

He put on his desperate voice, and wobbly footsteps – even dressed in armour he tried to look out of his depth. As he came to the tier, the rifleman held his weapon. Connor noted it was just him – but there was signs of activity down on the ground of the canyon, by the acid pool.

”You’re coming with me.”

As the boy advanced, Connor winced and pointed up to the canyon lip.

”No wait, there’s a Jedi up there! She’s going to kill us!”

Those words were enough to distract the boy for a moment, looking up but realising his own mistake when it was too late. Connor moved and grabbed the barrel, pulling it down with the trigger finger still clamped, and a swift elbow into the boy’s face was enough to send him staggering back and crumpling into the grit on the floor after a sharp crack of the bone in his nose.

Connor ducked with the rifle, looking around and waiting for retaliation. There was none, so he looked up.

”Oh, angel? You can fly down here now.”

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus chuckled. “If I stopped getting us into trouble, I’d only disappoint you – and you know it.”

And so she listened as he did his ‘thing.’ She heard the exchange and the loud crack of cartilage being damaged and then he called her back into play.

Grabbing his saber, she sauntered over, her arms outstretched out to her sides – and duly noted the activity down by the acid pool. She pulled some cuffs out of her pocket and tied the young man’s hands behind his back.

“OK, your guardian angel is here. Where to next? Down there?” she indicated the ground of the canyon, "Or inside?”

Blowing out his cheeks in contemplation, Connor felt this was escalating too quickly for something so simple. The less of the hornet’s nest they could shake, the better for both of them.

”I’m going in – no point trying to make more noise outside when it could be easier in the cover of the canyon. If it’s no trouble I would like you with me, but if you’re ankle is going to be a worry, you can stay out and cover the entrance.”

He followed the incline of the path past Corvus and the now incapacitated gunman, and worked in a U-turn on the lower level, towards a cave mouth. He could see three along the large circular tier they were on, and expected they all converged into one place, or so he hoped.

Connor bit his lips and rubbed the back of his head.

”I don’t like this set-up. It doesn’t feel right. You could say I’ve got a bad feeling about this whole thing, I don’t know.”

Creeping further to the cave jaw, he craned his head around to see nothing but a sandy rock tunnel leading down and around into the canyon itself. He popped his head back out and looked up to the angelic Corvus above him. He couldn’t help smile at the image.

”Guardian angel is actually quite apt right now. Are you coming in, or staying here?”

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

“My ankle is fine and I’m coming in too.” Corvus was glad she didn’t mention the broken ribs or the fractured humerus and smashed radius. But as long as she didn’t fall fifty metres into the raging river again she should be fine.

So she fell into step and stifled a groan at the bad feeling comment. “Well as long as you don’t get cocky kid,” she responded with a wink.

With that she gave him a shooing motion with her hands. “Your guardian angel says hurry up or the baby will reach puberty before we rescue it. And I can’t imagine what a teenage Hutt would be like?” She pulled a face to illustrate her view of the concept.

Connor pointed at Corvus, nodding once.

”You’re in pain – don’t think I haven’t noticed your broken ribs or that fractured humerus you’ve been so blatantly bad in covering up.”

He turned and started down the canyon passageway, ”I’ve got this, just watch my back and don’t push yourself.”

Keeping low, and making sure he stayed ahead of Corvus, Connor made off quickly down the winding tunnel with the situation totally in hand. He pushed the Force ahead of him and noted very little in the way of sentient life form – there was one; erratic, un-nerved and excitable. It stuck out like a sore thumb to Connor as he hugged the sandy coloured rock as he made his way down, a few torches spitting fire on the wall illuminating the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BXkC_qxNKw&index=14&list=PL2yW2adfehiWZSErefmT08FToj3OWwDrW
In moments he came into a large cavern, with crates, barrels, munitions and digging equipment scattered around. Pockets of light came in from above, and two other tunnels fed into the cavern from other ends of the room. Fire lit up the makeshift hideout, and Connor peered through the shadow to find four beings – 2 humans, a Rodian and an Iridonian.

Connor controlled his breathing, scanning the otherwise cozy hideout for their target. Chatter and laughter and the chink of glass echoed around the Jedi, and he turned to Corvus, now joining him.

”Ok, angel. Guard me.”

He dropped, and scurried forward using the crates and barrels as cover. The rock was more a burnt copper this far into the canyon, and it looked like this was one of many that these pirates or bounty hunters used. Connor twisted and edged past a broken swoop bike, and saw, on a pedestal, surrounded by wire, a baby Hutt. If the Hutt tried to move over the wire, he’d know about it, and it highlighted the savagery and lapse of care these brutes had.

In seconds, Connor was behind the youth, his eyes moving between the four careless pirates and the baby. Standing slowly, he gently talked to the Hutt, wincing as he offered his hand to be smelt to show no sign of threat. How the hell one interacted with a baby, never mind a Hutt, was beyond him.

”Hey little one…ok, we’re going to get you out…and….”

As his hands went around the youth to curl up the cloth he was on, the Hutt let out a horrific screech; typical! Not one of pain, but…Connor didn’t have time to identify before he sensed more eyes on him than he wanted. Pulling the cloth and the Hutt up and over the wire to tuck under his arm, he felt the urgency had just increased – time to get out!

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus waved his concern away. “Listen, a day in a bacta tank and I was pretty much in good shape again. I mean, that’s what they’re for right? If we didn’t use them, think of how many workers would be out of a job.”

She cocked her head to one side. “Admit it, there’s logic there.”

“And I’ve got your back, just like my sister before me.”

And so she followed him down the tunnel, keeping low when he did and finally seeing the large cavern, with crates, barrels, munitions and digging equipment scattered around.

She also saw the four men but before she could comment, he was off, scurrying to where the men were. She momentarily closed her eyes and sensed the four miscreants and…what must be the baby Hutt. Pleased they’d found him…or was it a her, she couldn’t remember if they’d been told. Or even if she did, how you could tell one from another.

She also sensed it’s levels of panic increase – Connor clearly had a way with babies. Not that she had either, but she wasn’t trying to bodily rescue it right now.

The squeal of the child was enough to realise that the time for stealth was over, so she stepped out from her hiding-place and drew her saber in one fluid motion. Sadly she may have to take a life today – but moreover, her dramatic entrance might distract the criminals from what Connor was attempting to do.

“Well, hello there.” She said theatrically, “Tell me, which of you wants to rethink your lives and which ones fancy a little dance? The choice – as they say – is yours.”

Wincing and starting to run, Connor stopped abruptly as Corvus made her entrance, saber in hand. He winced, glancing at the 4 pirates, and fumbling with the thrashing but seemingly excitable baby Hutt under his arm. Boy, did it give off a stink! He looked between the two, and then the passageway back up the surface of the canyon.

Walking slowly over, his hands wrapped around to keep the Hutt secure, Connor tried to evoke command but peace in his voice.

”We are Jedi here only to return the youth to its Mother – the Galactic Republic are well aware of your actions on Ord Mantell as will the One Sith after the Hutt informs them, and our flagships our in orbit ready to advance on your actions and bring you down before they find you and obliterate you. We do not want to take a life today, but if you force our hand…”

Slightly, he turned his head to Corvus, the guardian angel ever more so in her white attire

I got your back? Nice. I should leave you here alone for that.”

He moved his hand and swept up the broken down swoop bike and threw it out across the room towards the pocket of men with a mix of surprise and clanging metal.

”Quick as you can – run!”

With his hand, he span Corvus and guided her to the passage way and make a run for it, Jedi beside one hand, baby Hutt in the other.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus watched Connor make his way over to her.

“What do you mean, I distracted them and made them think twice about attacking either of us. What more did you want?”

Of course they were already on the move when she said this, as she allowed the Silver Jedi to lead the way and once he was a short way along the passage she pulled some of the looser stone down into the path using the Force. “That should slow them up a bit more.”

She sped up to keep pace with Connor, “Do you know what, this fatherly thing, I think it suits you.” She smiled at the baby, that was by now showing signs of distress. Corvus touched the young Hutt’s mind gently and sent a small push of tiredness the bay’s way - followed by one of contentment. Given that she was running, it was the best she could do.

“Is it me, or is this a little too easy? And...I presume that odour does belong to the Hutt?” She could not resist a smile.

Skidding to a stop over the gritty ground, the sunlight made Connor wince for a moment as he caught his breath and felt no immediate opposition coming their way.

"Oh...you are...funny. Seriously...!"

He shuffled the dead weight of the Hutt and made to go up to their ship, but a flurry of wild blaster fire from the tier opposite and below, by the entrance back from the cave they saw moments ago.

"I thought it was just Imperial Stormtroopers that were lousy shots - come on, move!

Ducking and trying to shoulder Corvus out of danger, he kept moving fast and low to get back up and over the lip of the canyon, which wasn't very easy with a baby Hutt under your arm and a wounded Grandmaster on the other. It didn't take too long, but Corvus and her observation was very truthful, but in these situations he had learnt to run first and fight later.

"I doubt we are out of this yet, but just get that ship fired up and we'll have a much better chance up there!"

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus shook her head and for a moment it looked as though she was going to stand and make a point whilst the shots came in around them. But maybe the presence of the Hutt baby made her think twice. But she didn't stop talking.

"Do you ever read the history books? Remember the Jawa sandcrawler. Master Kenobi stated the work was faultless in shooting it. Only Imperial Stormtroopers had that accuracy, remember?"

"Then on the Death Star they were suddenly bad shots and the urban myth grew. Vader let them escape because they had a tracking device on them. They weren't suddenly bad shots, they'd been told to miss." She gave a look as if every Youngling knew this.

But she kept pace and flicking a switch on her saber, the ship powered up and then the ramp opened. "A beckon call. Available in any hardware shop, albeit this one is military grade. Press it and your linked ship takes off and lands at the closest, safest landing spot. And since it was already there, it's just saved us firing it up." She grinned. "I'm not just funny, I'm useful too."

Letting Corvus get on the ship first, Connor couldn’t help but grin at her ingenious little devices and fascinating facts of galactic history. As another shout came from down towards the acid pool, the Silver Jedi shuffled the Hutt under his arm and ran up the loading ramp. Corvus was already in the cockpit.

"Where DO you get those brilliant toys?”

He moved forward and leant against the cockpit hatch, still with cooing, placid Hutt and watcher the Grandmaster at work. Connor found himself looking around at the new trio of heroes fora new generation – a snarky Grandmaster, a Jedi carrying Sith Magic and a slimy baby Hutt.

”And the Imperials under Vader’s fist couldn’t have been that good because we all know the native Ewoks on the Endor moon wiped out an entire legion with nothing but rocks and logs and helped bring down the end of the Emperor. Right? I know, I impress myself sometimes.”

Bracing himself, the ship’s engines got louder, and flashes of bolts streaked in front of the cockpit. Inside, Connor crossed his fingers.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus smiled. "It's the ship, right? Guys love the ship." She punched in codes and got them the heck out of there. Fortunately the locals only had small arm's fire and the ship's shields held firm.

"And don't start me on the Ewoks."

She paused as soon as they were programmed for hyperspace. "Now, let's reunite baby and mummy and speculate what artefact the Hutt is going to give us the location of. As long as it's not Andeddu's holocron, we're fine."

"And you can uncross your fingers. We're safe...for now."

At that point Cornix arrived and started to make distinctly Hutt cooing noises. The baby seemed to immediately calm down and reached out for the protocol droid.

"May I?"

"Knock yourself out," Corvus responded, "As long as Connor is happy to let go?"

Watching the ship rise and the planet move away from under them, Connor shook his head.

"That was too easy – or maybe it wasn’t ever going to be hard. What would those pirates expect from a Hutt in retaliation? Not Jedi. I guess….we were lucky. I don’t know. You’re a hex on me Miss Raaf.”

With the arrival of the rude protocol droid, Connor looked between droid and Master and winced as he carefully handed the Hutt over to the A.I.

"Of course. Keep it – her, him, whatever – keep it safe. Don’t eat it or anything.”

Connor wiped his hands and watched the Hutt and droid before shifting into the seat beside the capable pilot.

"The Hutt never bothered me anyway.”

Tapping his fingers on his chin, recoiling a little at the smell lingering on his hands, Connor span gently side to side in the chair and faced Corvus.

"I wouldn’t get your hopes up Corvy, it’s probably some weapon or armour or something that won’t really suit our needs. Not that I have any. I mean, you know. If there even is...”

A frown crossed his brow.

"You don’t suppose this is one big set-up do you? Those pirates seemed just the sort of company a Hutt would keep, and the two greatest Jedi in the galaxy have walked right into a distress call and returning into what could be a trap. Right? No? Hmm.”

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom