Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private What Could've Been

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Lark had always wondered what it might have been like to attend school. He never truly had the chance when he was a child, and as he was finally the age where many people determined what educational path they would follow, he thought he might as well give it a brief shot. His studies so far had been confined to an orphanage on Myrkr and within the archives of Sith libraries, which were admittedly perhaps a bit skewed. There was always more to learn, every inch of the galaxy had a story to tell. So it was that Lark found himself on Ketaris, home of the recently renovated University of Ketaris. Lark hoped to test himself and see how he fared in an academic setting judged by those who had dedicated their lives to the subjects they so rigorously studied. It would only be a temporary arrangement, he had crafted a false identity for himself to ward off any suspicions of his true identity. He would study here for a few weeks, and then leave as quickly as he arrived.

Class had just ended, though Lark and a few other students lingered discussing projects they had been working on. Lark, or Alder as his colleagues and professors knew him as, had been focusing on historical courses relating to Ketaris, ethics and anthropology courses, and of course the renowned Xenoarchaeology program. It was quite a heavy load to bear, but Alder had dealt with so much more. For an undergraduate, a term paper might be one of the mightiest battles they ever faced. Once Alder might have mocked such a quarry. But he had respect for the simple life. If one devoted their life to education, who was he to belittle them?

"So you think I should find a source or two to back up this statement?" a fellow student asked. Kaye was her name, she and Alder shared a class or two. She was cute, Alder had considered asking her out for a glass of wine whenever they both had the time. But midterms were fast approaching, and that took priority.

"At the moment, this section of your paper reads pretty bland. You have well-thought out ideas, but if you can find a bit more anecdotal evidence to support your points, I think that would really make your essay stronger." Alder paused for a moment as he took a swig from his flask, everyone save for himself and an older student named Jisen believed it to just be water. But the spiced rum made class a bit more entertaining, and sometimes even helped Alder's mind flow a bit more elegantly. "If you remind me, I read an article correlating the rise of medicine and the fall of civil unrest on Ketaris. I can send it to you, that might be something that could be of aid."

Alder passed the flask to Jisen as Kaye thanked him. The man laughed as he took a sip. "Never seen a fella sneak booze into class and make top marks on all his exams. Normally it's the other way around. Mind slipping me the answers to the midterm?"

"I don't mind giving advice or arranging study sessions, but I draw the line at cheating," Alder chuckled. He knew the statement was made in jest. To him, Kaye and Jisen were genuine friends. It was odd, viewing them as companions and partners after becoming so accustomed to the allies the Sith provided. Was this what it would have been like? If his family was never torn asunder, would he have had any moments like this? Myrkr alone would not have afforded him any chances at a higher education. But if he could have studied alongside his siblings, could he have one day made it to Ketaris without the aide of Sith power?

The two of you were miracles. Together, you could do anything you wanted. The worlds would be yours, if you desired them.

Words from the woman who sold Alder's brother. He would have liked it here. Dear brother, I hope that you're alright. Sister and I have not lived the lives we longed for. I hope that you at least have found your peace.

Jesin told a joke that Alder missed, though he laughed like his mind wasn't wandering. For now, Alder would enjoy the company of his new friends. This life was not meant for him. No life was. But he would do his best regardless. And maybe along the way, he would run into another companion that understood him a bit better.

I'd like to see that righteous king once more. Are you here, Enlil? If you are, I'd love to speak with you.

Once Alder and his friends left the classroom building, the atmosphere became even more carefree. Jesin took off his top and basked in the coastal atmosphere, and Alder undid some of the top buttons on his shirt and let the cool wind blow through him. The tides would be favorable today, and it was time to stop talking about school. Jesin and Alder talked about some of their favorite bourbons, and when that funny little frat boy from Naboo strolled ahead to greet some of his friends, Kaye and Alder talked about the happiest books they had ever read. They helped a passerby carry a bit of cargo, and for a moment Alder thought of what it might be like to sail the world with Kaye.

The peacefulness and joy of the moment drew Lark out like a flower. And Lark smiled, for this was almost all he ever wanted.

Enlil Enlil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom