Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFG West Marches/Metacampaign Chaos Star Wars 5e?

So- here’s the idea:

West Marches style Star Wars 5e game in the Chaos timeline.

This way, there’s a multitude of DMs, flexible and non-set schedules, as well as environment we all know really, really well.

Why Star Wars 5e? Why not insert other system here? It’s free, easily accessible, easy to add to and modify, and uses 5e, which has a really low entry barrier for people, and more people are fairly knowledgeable about that system than others.

I’m thinking probably Discord voice for this- we could make a separate server easily enough. And if people wanted, they could branch out into other things like Foundry or Tabletop Simulator, what have you.

Obviously, our timeline is fairly long, but we could pretty easily pick an era based on one of the maps and do that, or just do the present. Flexible!

What about our characters? I’d say start at level 1 and we develop over time (which may be more conducive to an earlier era in Chaos history?) because even our padawan characters and civilians would probably break a game system for balance. They could be different timeline versions of our characters, or as NPCs used with/by their respective writers.

Factions, there’s some stuff in the system for those, and we could get our DMs and game experts to work out something mechanics wise to improve it. Maybe even it offer it to the main SW5E team if we get it working well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Interests?

I feel like 5e is a bad fit for both Star Wars and West Marches.

Star Wars aside, the nature of 5e is entirely counterintuitive to the kind of experience West Marches is supposed to create.

Moving back to Star Wars, how would west marches work with most of the galaxy being explored? What incentive is there to "go west, my son" if you already know what's there?

I think we have a difference in interpreting the phrase West marches. If it was a Star Wars version of the original game, then you’d be correct.

I was using it in the broader sense that others have been using for a game with multiple DMs, no set party, and more flexible scheduling.

Metacampaign might have been a better phrase, as it is another term I’ve seen used, but those tend to be much more involved in out of game management.

Although, a very early post-Gulag or even High Republic era could work for a more traditional exploration based game.

I feel like 5e is a bad fit for both Star Wars and West Marches.
Get outta here, 3.5 fanboy.
Avernus Avernus

Though I'm also not really sure how each adventure would be set up. From what I recall there's always The Town to rest and recoup in and The Territory to adventure in, what'd be our equivalent to those if there are any?

Sounds hype tbh. Might hop in if I ever find the time not to get buried in assignments!

Though I'm also not really sure how each adventure would be set up. From what I recall there's always The Town to rest and recoup in and The Territory to adventure in, what'd be our equivalent to those if there are any?

Sounds hype tbh. Might hop in if I ever find the time not to get buried in assignments!

Depending on how far we want to lean into the traditional West March structure, we could pretty easily do safe towns as safe planets. Faction capitals, so we could have multiple types of stories going on, perhaps? And then there be missions.

And that is the goal of having a more fluid, West March type of scheduling structure!

As someone that's been looking for DnD related stuff for quite some time now, I'm game.

Awesome! Glad to hear it! Good to have you interested!

Get outta here, 3.5 fanboy.
Avernus Avernus

unknown.png

Exopritl Exopritl Alejandro Vizcaya Alejandro Vizcaya Kyyrk Kyyrk Bernard of Arca Bernard of Arca

This is a GDoc I started to help me remember what we might need for this case. Feel free to start discussing things and brainstorming how best to make things fit together. I'm sure there's a lot that I've forgotten, between my other projects!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom