Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to Voss

Sorel Crieff

Ready are you? What know you of ready?
swtor_vos_full_068.jpg

Voss was a planet located within the Voss system of the Outer Rim Territories. Sorel could not claim to be an expert on the planet, she was something of a space nomad, but she’d spent enough time at the Academy to know her way around, and she knew a lot more than someone who had never visited the place before.

So she stood at the hangar, awaiting a ship to land. Her Master had encouranged her to be proactive in welcoming newcomers – given she was in a similar position not so long ago, and would have appreciated a friendly face. Sorel could not help but agree with her Master’s opinion. So here she was.

As she waited, she tried to remember as many facts about the place as she could. The Voss were said to be great lovers of art who had developed a distinct style had been in existence for thousands of years circa 3653 BBY. Their architecture followed this distinctive style. The capital of the planet was Voss-Ka. And the two native sentient species of Voss — the Voss and the Gormak — were often at war with each other. Then she considered the fact that she would not have been remotely interested in this sort of information. She suspected the new arrival would be more keen to find out about expectations of a Jedi, training, that sort of thing. So she relaxed and looked up at the sky. The new Jedi was due any moment now.

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=11pt]Entering the atmosphere of the planet Voss, Nikias' shuttle shuddered from the force of entry. It had been mere days since he had left his homeworld. He'd been in contact with the Silver Coalition prior and had pledged himself to them, not only to learn about the force but more about the galaxy as well. So one day he could return to his homeworld and be the just king that the Makrosian Kingdom deserved. To bring about a change of their close-minded ideals. Being the first prince of Makrosia some would expect Nikias to arrive in a frigate or ship filled to the brim with guards though this was not to be true. The ship that now descended through the sky was little more than a hunk of junk freighter that he'd taken to use during his quest. It would teach him to be humble. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Landing in the hanger the shuttle came to a soft landing the landing treads squealing due to the rust that had been built up. Though soon descending the ramp was a man that seemed in complete contrast to his ship. He wore a red cape that flapped behind him, and his torso was bear showing off his toned body. The Hellyni were practically a race of warriors and sported bodies as such. Though unlike the rest of his people Nikias' eyes were a golden color, and his sclera were black due to the poison that coursed through his veins. His hair was cut neatly but the white hair stood out among his features. Eyes scanning the hanger they landed upon the women that he was supposed to meet. With long strides that crossed the distance Nikias towered over the women, yet he bowed to her. "It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Nikias, First Prince of the Makrosian kingdom." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]
[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

[member="Nikias"]

The ship came in to land. Jedi travelled in all sorts of vessels. Some were large and ornate, others were more humble. Her own ship was old and outwardly looked close to retirement, although its engines and systems were state of the art. It was as much for appearing nondescript and frugal as anything else, and she’d grown into the ship in the past two years. Yet the vessel she spied coming towards her made her own look positively new. It was, to be perfectly frank, a hunk of junk. Perhaps it too was so much more impressive inside. Or maybe it was simply garbage?

The landing was soft – although the squealing suggested the working parts were not in any way pristine. As the landing ramp finally lowered, Sorel wondered who she would be greeting. Would his appearance match the ship – as hers so recently did, with threadbare robes – or would he be a contrast? She was a Jedi and rarely judged and never assumed, but she was curious.

So she stood there in her now new robes, brown in hue and traditional, bar the tabard which was made from animal hide. She had twin sabers clipped to her belt and her brown eyes were fixed to the landing ramp as first boots emerged. The trousers and that appeared to be the extent of his clothing, if you excluded the red cape. She was unsure of which planet he hailed from, his appearance was distinctive, with white hair, golden eyes and sclera. And he was tall too.

She bowed in response. ”Welcome to Voss. I am Padawan Sorel Crieff, but please call me Sorel.” She was unsure if she should refer to him by an official title, but her experience to date was that they were Jedi first, and so he would be spoken to as such. Unless of course his first name was actually Prince! ”I am here to welcome you of course, to show you around and to answer any questions you might have. I know I had plenty when I joined the Order, although that was many years ago.” She was sixteen in truth and perhaps looked a few years older but it sounded slightly incongruous for one so young to talk about a long time ago – but for her, it represented much more than half of her life to date.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Raising an eyebrow at the young women Nikias was indeed caught off guard by Sorel's use of a long time ago. Just how young they took people in he did not know, but for her to say many years she had to of been but a child. From her appearance she seemed younger than him, but one couldn't really tell when they hadn't interacted with too many other species. "And you can call me Nikias... Though I am curious how long have you been on Voss? When did you first join?" It would be impressive to Nikias if indeed the Silver Sanctum were taking in children and turning them into full warriors before releasing them back out upon the galaxy. It was similar to his people in a way... Or more like the Spathi people. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Casting a glance around the empty hangar Nikias looked back up at the orange sky drinking in the appearance of Voss. The sky alone seemed full of color as the clouds billowed by. "If you don't mind could we walk and talk? I'd certainly like to explore the world as well." Nikias asked hoping the young women agreed. While on his homeworld he would have simply stormed off to leave the hangar Sorel was technically responsible for him and whatever he did could reflect poorly on her. Examining the outfit, she wore it took everything Nikias had not to grimace. The only good part about it was that no one would be able to sense his thoughts due to his people’s inherent immunity to such things. While the robes were indeed concealing and elegant it was not something him, nor his people were often used to. For them it was either armor or nothing. It had always been that way for them. [/SIZE]

[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

[member="Nikias"]

Sorel smiled when he confirmed she could call him by his first name, it seems he was relatively down to earth, which given he was a prince was not always a given. ”I don’t actually live on Voss. I don’t actual live anywhere specifically.” She frowned slightly, realizing she wasn’t probably making a huge degree of sense.

”As a Youngling, I spent my early years on Coruscant. So from being about four or five up to the age of maybe twelve. Then I moved to Ossus for a couple of years. Then I became a Padawan and travelled with my Master. I then spent a couple of years travelling independently and then with my new Master, I’m constantly moving. Exploration, missions. My learning now is mostly on the move.”

She started to move away from the ship now. ”Some Jedi are trained from a young age like me. Others will join later in life, some much later. So there is no standard life as a young Jedi. I joined the Silver Order when I met my Master, not so long ago. Before that I served the Republic.”

“What about you? Have you been trained in the Force yet, and what brings you to the Silver Order?”

[SIZE=10.5pt]Walking alongside Sorel, Nikias paid attention as she spoke as though she were a teacher. "It must have been a hard life constantly on the move don't you think? Everyone needs a place to call home, a place where they can return to rest and rejuvenate themselves." Nikias said as they exited the hanger. The air on the planet smelled fresh, the colorful trees that lined the path seemed almost welcoming. It all painted a beautiful picture. While Nikias was sure this would only be the first of many beautiful planets there would be many more he'd see on his journeys. Listening to Sorel's story Nikias found himself rather intrigued how one so young was so well traveled. Many her age would still be on their homeworlds with their families, or ill prepared to face what the galaxy offered. Yet here she was going against it and so accepting at that. Were all the jedi this way? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"What do you mean by served the Republic? Did you serve on the battlefield for them?" He asked curiously. While being sent off to battle young was something his people were used to doing he didn't know if the rest of the galaxy were up to doing such things. He thought them to be more civilized and focused on preserving life. "That seems almost against what I heard of the Jedi. A young one serving the Republic." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Stopping for a bit to take in a deep breath Nikias enjoyed the scene laid before him for a moment before answering the question meant for him. "While most of my people are strong in the force we have very few teachers on our planet. Most of them journey off world to learn from others and bring their teachings back to our planet. So to answer your question... While my father and uncle are both trained in your ways of combat and the force I am not. Though using your weapons are not foreign to me. I have wielded one for so long in so many battles. Though what brings me to your order is to learn more about this galaxy, to learn more about the force, and myself as well."[/SIZE]

[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

Sorel looked to be in a reflective move. She had gone so long without a home, she hadn’t really thought about it. But as she had rapidly come to enjoy the company of others, so the concept of a home was a logical progression to that journey.

“Some times we simply get used to what we know. Unless something it taken away or we come to know what we’re missing, then I think we’re just resilient enough to cope with things. A place to call home sounds good. But I can genuinely say that I cannot think of a single place or planet that calls to me like that. Maybe in time?” Once it was Coruscant and then it was Ossus. But now no planet felt like home. Perhaps she was just nervous of committing to a place that might be taken away from her again?

Sorel listened intently as they walked. “Most Jedi serve a cause. Either a government like the Republic or are part of the government like the Silver Jedi. I haven’t actually been to war but I have served on many missions. Diplomacy, rescue, running freight. They often involve fighting, either in a cockpit or against a foe. Sometimes creatures.” She shrugged as if to say it was just par for the course. “It’s less about age and more about ability. If you’re not ready, you won’t be pitched in to something above your head.”

And she listened to his words, and his apparent wisdom. “I find that learning about the Force teaches you a great deal about yourself. Often things you weren’t even aware of. And with my Master I am currently exploring the relationship between being a Jedi and technology, which is fascinating.”

“So, have you used the Force much?”

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"Yes maybe in time you'll find a place that calls to you in such a way that you can call it home. Who knows maybe the entire galaxy is your home. Though the way I see a home is not only a place you can go home to relax, but also a place you're willing to defend and lay your life down for." Nikias said in response to her question. He himself would always see Hora as his home, more specifically the kingdom of Makrosia. It was the main reason he had left the planet, he wished to return and better it. To abolish the slavery that is so often used, to grant equal rights and make them understand what it means to better themselves. Though that would take time, knowledge and power. All three things that he was currently lacking, at least in his own eyes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The fact that Sorel was so nonchalant about what she had faced was impressive. She even looked at it as though it was natural. "Hmm I'd say that you seem to do well on your own. Just how high are your abilities? How is one judged here when they are ready? Are there such limits of them teaching you about the force?" Nikias asked completely curious on what type of trials he would be facing. Would he soon be marching out to battle but instead of for his people and alongside soldiers it would be alongside the jedi? It was an interesting thought after all. "So does that mean you can control the technology with the force as well?" Nikias asked in shock. He had never heard nor seen such a thing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"Sadly I have not practiced at all besides what I know of combat."[/SIZE]

[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

She listened to his words. He was blessed with something that she felt could not be taught, or at least not effectively. He was wise and that was a wonderful attribute for a Jedi. “I have to say I see myself as a guardian of the galaxy. Not of a planet or even a collection of planets. Evil is everywhere and I cannot tolerate it in even one place. So perhaps you are right. The galaxy is my home. And my ship is my favourite room in that home, for it allows me to travel around my residence.”

“For I would lay my life down for any planet, any person.” Perhaps the words were a little serious for one so young, but the earnest nature of her tone suggested they were spoken from the heart and not simply regurgitated from some Jedi lesson. “And that does not make me right and others wrong. I believe that you simply need to be true to yourself. And that is all that is necessary.”

She smiled at the mention of her abilities. “My Master says I work too hard. And I have to agree with her. Recently I have changed pace a little. Meditation and rest is as important as any other factor when learning. And I have come to accept that we are all different. Some excel at one thing, others in a different area. There is no perfect Jedi, there isn’t even a perfect you. There is simply the best Jedi you can be. I honour the Code and do my best. I know now that this is what is required. Not to attempt to emulate a Jedi from history or some template you think is right. We all walk the same path, but some are farther forward than others. But in time we all step on the same point in the journey, so there is no rush.”

“You will soon learn where your natural abilities lie. Meditation and belief are key, I believe. All else is down to you, your Master and your strengths. I have an affinity with droids and ships. I can affect them using the Force for a start – stunning a droid or opening a lock for example, and I can fix things. You’ll find your own niche, trust me. Just be patient and you’ll find it. Or them, you may have more than one. Maybe you've already found one - combat?”

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=10.5pt][member="Sorel Crieff"][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Nodding his head Nikias was incredibly impressed with the young women. She was more well-spoken than many of the members of the Council that served alongside the king of Makrosia. She was intelligent and stern in her beliefs and wants to protect the entire galaxy. She was the one thing Nikias would never be, she was selfless to a fault. While a good attribute for some it was not one demonstrated by many people that Nikias had met. Maybe its more common among the jedi. Nikias thought as they continued their walk as a cool breeze began to descend upon them. "Such a set of beliefs you have. To be so selfless... Why? What drives you to do such a thing for the entire galaxy? A galaxy that's embroiled in war, death, and gives nothing in return?" Part of the question was out of curiosity while the other half was something Nikias himself had a struggle with when thinking of his family and the throne he would have to inherit. How he would rule his people. "What constitutes evil? I mean what really constitutes it? While you may see yourself as the hero, someone else may see you as the villain. Sometimes we are all blinded by our thoughts and think ourselves the hero." These lines came from experience as Nikias knew he had done many things in his past that he'd have to one-day answer for.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Looking up as they approached the temple Nikias whistled as it domineered the landscape. It was an impressive facility and rarely had he seen such a place devoted to the training of individuals. "Are you sure you are not one of the masters at this temple?" Nikias said with a hint of a smile. "You seem to know so much and be wiser far beyond your years. To imagine one so young with such knowledge and potential... I may possibly even be jealous. What other abilities do you possess?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"Though as for what I'm good at... Combat is something I was not a natural at, it was something that I had to better myself in. My older brother was the true combatant even without this sort of training... He was a natural."[/SIZE]

Sorel Crieff

Sorel smiled at Nikias’ first question. To her it seemed amusing, but she realised that it was, as ever, a matter of perspective. “I apologise for smiling. Nothing you said was humorous, but I found it an interesting point of view. You see, I am a Jedi, and I follow the Jedi Code. It is the Code that dictates I shall be selfless. In my simple mind, you either embrace that, or you are not a Jedi. And that is not judging others by the way. But merely my perspective. I cannot be a Jedi and be anything but selfless. It is for others to interpret the Code in their own way. Even if that means they are wrong.” She gave him a wink to indicate she was joking with the last statement – although with any such joke, there was probably an element of truth in her words – at least from her viewpoint.

“I seek no reward. I do not wish for money or power, all I hope for is peace and that I can do my best to bring that about. Which is why I do not see other Jedi or myself as a hero. We are merely following a Code and doing our duty. If I fight a Sith, that is merely my calling. A non-Jedi that stands up to tyranny – now there is a hero. A common man that risks all for a belief, for the good of others. That is true bravery.”

“Which all sounds a little deep – but that is what it is like to be a Jedi. To make the decisions others do not wish to. To allow one person to die to save a hundred. But what is evil? Sometimes it is apparent. The Sith. The dark side. But you are right. If a dictator suppresses freedom but eradicates crime, is he evil? If a benevolent ruler allows freedom of speech but resides over a planet where rebellion is commonplace as a result, are they good?” She shook her head. “Those are decisions for people wiser than I. For I am no Master, I still have so much to learn.”

“Tell me, what are your views?”

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Finally reaching the steps of the temple Nikias could examine the entire temple. In a way it reminded him of something that one would see the monks of his religion living in than a facility meant to train and turn out others to protect the galaxy. However, looks could be deceiving, Nikias knew that better than anyone else. "Hmm, as you said it’s simply a code, a code does not mean for one to follow it and there could be hundreds of different interpretations for such things. Going off a single code or line of thought is not something I shall do nor follow. I come from a place where doing such a thing can lead to death in a heartbeat. Where thinking your way of doing things is right or just you can easily appear the villain to others and sometimes believe your beliefs so just that you yourself become evil..." Nikias said before clearing his throat. "Though that is just my opinion on codes and such. When I read over your code I'll be sure to think on it for a few days before I make any final decisions."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Climbing the first few steps of the temple Nikias looked back at Sorel an eyebrow raised. She spoke of fighting a Sith and he had heard about the large empire that ruled a portion of the galaxy. "I have heard many things about these Sith, though I shall postpone my judgement on all of them. Just as a dedication of one thing can seem right in a person’s eyes doesn't mean that the other is completely wrong. Just as there are possibly jedi that are bad apples there are possible Sith that are doing what's good for the galaxy. One can never know, and I can speak from experience of having to meet opposing generals that thought they were doing right by their people. Those are my views on the things you have said. You are wise far beyond your years, though I can't agree with some of the things. Selflessness I understand greatly as I lay my life down for my kingdom and the people I must protect."[/SIZE]

[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

Sorel had seen many, many Jedi temples. As a rule, they tended to look pretty much the same; it was as if the Jedi architects lacked inspiration. But to a newcomer, it was no doubt an impressive sight.

“Welcome to the Jedi Temple,” she said. “A place of study and reflection. It has all modern facilities and access to any amount of data you could need, plus training facilities as well as Jedi to teach.”

“And you are right, a Code is just words. It is deeds that count. But being a Jedi is to sign up to that Code, otherwise it would be like being a vegetarian that still eats certain meat. It is all or nothing. At least, that is my view. I am aware of variances with regards an approach to dark Jedi, but I am not in a position to comment.”

“And as a Jedi, I am a peace-keeper, not a soldier. The taking of a life, any life, even a Sith, is a final act. In one sense the Code and its tenets teaches us that such an outcome is to be avoided wherever possible.”

“And to answer an earlier question, the oddest ability I have learned so far is to speed up the growth of a plant. How practical it will be, I have yet to ascertain. But it is another string to my bow, so I am glad to have learned it. And on the subject of learning, have you found a Master yet, or do you intend to learn from a wide range of instructors?”

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"Yes it is quite a site, can't say I've seen a temple such as this. However I will be sure to make good use of everything offered, especially any information I can acquire. I still have much to learn about you jedi and other planets across the galaxy before I return home permanently." Nikias said as they reached the top of the steps and stood before the large entrance to the temple that almost seemed to be welcome to any. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]"Hmm as I said I shall hold my judgement till I read the code for myself and spend time reading over and analyzing it. Till then I shall not make any judgments on it, though I will take your words into consideration. Hmm I see, peacekeepers yet you serve as battlefield warriors and on the frontlines as well?" Nikias asked looking over at the young women and quirking an eyebrow. "Seems to be a large contradiction there, though of course one can not just overlook what goes on in the galaxy. There is a time for peace and a time for war." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Entering the temple Nikias was amazed at just how well kept it was and the amount of life that bustled through it. From the rumors he'd always heard about the jedi they were hermits, beings that kept to themselves most of the time. Though this was going completely counter to it. "That would come in handy on impoverished worlds, helping them grow their crops and such would be a great aid to many."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Sorel Crieff

Sorel listened to Nikias and wondered if, by being the one to meet him, she had bitten off more than she could chew. She was knowledgeable but she was no Jedi Master, and the last thing she wanted to do was create a bad - or even a false impression of what it meant to be a Jedi. But she had been a Jedi for over ten years, so she did at least have her own perspective.

"I think it's wrong to consider all Jedi to be the same, any more than you might expect two siblings to be identical. Similar, in many ways, but definitely not the same. We are individual. We follow the Code in our own ways and have similar views on many things, but some are reclusive Wardens, that guard a planet or a system. Others live as teachers or librarians. Some are ambassadors for the Jedi and take up consular roles, others focus on the physical side."

"For we are peace-keepers, not warriors. A warrior is defined by fighting. That is what they do. They exist to fight. They are highly skilled and their duty is to wage war. A Jedi exists to bring about peace. Sometimes fighting is inevitable. But a Jedi must have the courage to resist fighting unless it is the only option available. For sadly, sometimes that is the case."

"You are no doubt a skilled fighter. Is it this aspect you intend to pursue in your studies?"

[member="Nikias"]

[SIZE=10pt]Stopping in the temple halls and listening to Sorel's explanations on the jedi. He understood where she was coming from and while a portion of Nikias' mind could see what Sorel meant by the code another part couldn't accept it without studying it for himself. "I understand how you say that not all jedi are the same. If I'm correct there are quite a few other factions from what I've heard that claim to be jedi. Makes it all much more to take in, and it shows how the code can be taken in many different ways with none of them being completely correct." Nikias said. As when he was thinking about journeying out to the galaxy to learn more about the mystics he had first thought of joining the Galactic Alliance to learn with their jedi, though that would take him across the galaxy from his own world and if anything happened leave him to far out to be of aid. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]"I think you have the wrong view of a warrior... We do not exist to fight. We fight to exist. When you live everyday knowing that the enemy can strike out at any place in your territory, when you've seen them torture innocents because they want more power. When you yourself are beneath that very same blade I assure you that you will pick up your weapon and become a warrior yourself. Warriors defend what is important to them. Even if I accept the code that part of me will never die as peace is not the answer when someone attacks your home." Nikias said looking at Sorel and offering her a curt bow. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]"However I thank you for leading me to the temple, I have quite enjoyed our conversation, and you have given me much to think about. I hope i didn't offend you to much with my questioning. i had to be sure this place was for me." Nikias said before ending his bow.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][member="Sorel Crieff"][/SIZE]

Sorel Crieff

Sorel listened to Nikias’ explanation. “I was always taught that the truth depended on your point of view. A warrior fighting to exist is another way of looking at it. But a Jedi does not cease to be a Jedi in times of peace. Whereas a warrior needs to find something else to occupy himself. Which is an over-simplification, I grant you, but you no doubt understand my simple logic. They may act in a similar way at times but they are fundamentally different.”

“And you are right, there are many that are called Jedi and operate slightly differently. It is too easy to say that ones own Order is correct and the others are wrong. If we are all Jedi, then that is all that matters. How a Jedi behaves is key, not which Order they belong to. And perhaps this is the place for you today, but not tomorrow? Who can tell? The important thing is to be true to yourself and the Force.”

She returned the bow. “I’m sure we’ll meet again soon.” And with that she left him and returned to the tasks her Master had set for her.

[member="Nikias"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom