Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome Home

Skógur Heim | [member=Asher Mossa]
HWiLlPs.png
Hear the call of the Forest. It calls you home.
There are some journeys too long to be worth the trip and some too short to feel like a real journey. The journey home, no matter how long it was, would always be worth it to Alvida. Even if she was on the other side of the Galaxy and it took her fifty years to return, she would always make it. As the ship chugged its way through the never ending blackness of space Alvida considered just how many times she had made this exact journey. Always coming from different angles, always taking different routes, but always the same destination. Her weight sank back into the poorly constructed pilots seat, eyes fixated on the view port just in front of her. The crest of Skógur Heim would be visible soon and she longed for the sight. The voices had been steadily gathering in a symphony of euphoria and mutual pleasure. Alvida rather liked it when they all got along, the days when they couldn't she could barely hear anything else at all.

Events of the past few days rolled over in her mind, slipping themselves between the voices as they spoke of their desires for home. First, the Lupine family she had met on the jungle planet. Next the stranger she had bumped into on the same world, the stranger that belonged with her. The stranger that she was taking home. There was little left about Asher that was strange now, though. The two had shared a lengthy night in the jungle discussing home. He had even partaken in the Gift of the Gods with her. He had seen the Father Tree and spoke with Fadirin. If his expressions and accent weren't enough to convince her of the fact that he belonged on Skógur Heim, then that was definitely enough.

The ship lurched dangerously to the side as she made a marginal adjustment to their course. She would try to fly in from the right side of the planet, so that Asher could see the land he was born on. Alvida wasn't the best at flying the roughly made ship her people had managed to buy from a less than reputable trader, but she could manage just fine. She had yet to crash the thing so she couldn't be that bad. 'We are almost here. Look.' Alvida pointed one of her milky white fingers to the viewport, just in time for the rim of Skógur Heim to make itself known to all those inside the cockpit. A vast landscape soon came into view, thick with deep green trees and rivers that looked like snakes stretching across a carpet of leaves. 'Home.' A bright, bubbly smile lit up her face, brighter than the sun that currently stretched across the skies.

Asher spent a good portion of the trip reflecting on the chance encounter he had at the lake. There was truly nothing of chance to it. The more Asher reflected on the vision, the voices, even the way Lylek had told him to stay despite his protest, Asher knew it was all leading to the moment that this trip was taking him to. He was antsy to see his home, a place his memory had forgotten. Alvida promised there would be some who might recognize him, though Asher knew not to get his hopes up. His mind decided to distract itself by finding things to fix on her ship. It was one quick fix after the other holding the ship together, and Asher knew he could do a better job.

Over the years Asher had learned what he needed to in order to keep a ship running no matter what condition it was in. Certain things he could not do while they were traveling, but he would repay her generosity and kindness by ensuring they got done. For now, he could ensure that the miswired power cells and other relays were working properly, as well as keep an eye on the hyperdrive. For a recule that lived in the woods, Asher was pretty handy around technology. He was not the best, but he was not the worst either. It was a good skill to have in this galaxy.

Of course, the closer they grew to the planet, the more Asher found himself wanting to spend every waking moment in the cockpit hoping for his first glance of the planet. As they drew near Alvida changed her course slightly to give him the best view possible something which brought a smile to his face. His eyes widened as they fell on the lush green from the trees which seemed to litter the world. From his vantage point it seemed like one massive forest with squiggles of rivers winding about in random patterns about the sphere in front of him.

Asher sighed with a nervous happiness. This was it. Soon they would begin their descent into the clouds and Asher would finally see if the vision had done the world justice. He hoped it was better, prettier. Asher set his hopes high, knowing that he would likely be disappointed, but he didn't care. This world was his home, a home that had not forgotten him despite the fact he had. Slowly he turned to face Alvida.

"This is gonna sound funny, but I hope the mead is as good as the planet his majestic. I've yet to find anyone that can make it just right."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

We are here, we are home.

A sweet laugh came from the pit of her stomach. 'You really are one of us.' The ship began its decent as she spoke. It shook so violently as it broke through the atmosphere anyone watching wouldn't have been wrong to assume something was amiss with it. 'Do not worry, there will be mead and food when we arrive. I am sure most will celebrate the return of our lost brother.' Alvida hadn't mentioned thus far that she had no idea which pack he came from, but somewhere deep down inside she knew it was hers. She couldn't say what made her feel such a deeply ingrained intution, but intuition had proved itself fruitful many a time in Alvida's life.

Her hands rested on the controls, body vibrating with the effort the ship made to break through to safety. The lands of home reflected back in her sea-foam eyes as they got closer and closer. 'First I will take you to meet my Father. If anyone know's of your origins it will be him.' Her voice shook with the entrance, then strained as she pulled back on the controls to bring them to a steady cruise. Though it was a silly thing to do, Alvida turned her head away from the viewport and looked Asher dead in the eye. 'Make no mention of our actions in the woods, the tree or our vision just yet. Much like his true form his temper can be violent. He may not take too kindly to a stranger eating the Gift of the Gods.' Despite her firm tone of warning Alvida did not wish to scare Asher, so she released her grip on the controls with one hand and placed it softly into his lap.

From this height there was nothing to see but the tree tops and a large mountain in the distance, drawing ever nearer as they zipped through the cool autumn air. It was easier to steer the ship now, though she did it with the same amount of reckless abandon that she seemed to use in any situation. The bottom of the ship scraped noisily against the tops of the trees and, on occasion, the ship actually lurched because of the impact. Alvida didn't seem to mind though, in fact, she found it rather funny. 'How do you like the look of home so far, saetur einn?'

Saetur einn - Sweet one

Asher smiled that his comment about mead only confirmed to Alvida that he belonged among her people. Alcohol was usually a universal thing among cultures, something that brought all walks of life together. Some cultures were built on the drink while others shunned it all together, but most found joy in sharing it. The idea of food made him smile. Just looking at Alvida, the way she dressed, how she kept her hair, it reminded him of the feasts he encountered on Stewjon. A roaring fire lit in the middle of the gathering with several beasts roasting on a massive spit filled his imagination. The thought of it all nearly made him drool had Alvida not spoken of meeting her father.

The way she described him made Asher gulp slightly. No, he agreed with her assessment that they did not need to talk about what transpired in the woods, the vision, the fungus, and what had transpired since. There was no reason for anyone who would have a potentially violent reaction to any such news to have any knowledge of those things. Asher did not fear many things, but as a father he imagined how protective he would be of a daughter even if he knew he would teach her to be strong.

"I think the less you father knows about all of it the better. I would like to live long enough to make a home here."

He sighed when Alvida placed a hand in his lap. He eyes looked to hers and say the thrill they held for being able to introduce him to this new world.

"It's even better than I imagined," he replied, then grabbed his seat as the ship scrapped the tops of the trees. It would have been presumptuous for him to suggest he fly the ship next time they needed to land anywhere, but his mind did think it would be a good idea. Still, the moment passed quickly as his eyes took in the sights of the grand trees and majestic snow capped mountains.

The ship rounded one of the mountains as they continued their descent. Crystal blue eyes were fixed on the peak and the shape it held. Asher could not believe what he was seeing and sank into his chair overcome with wonder and shock.

"Og gudsfjalli mun leida dig heim," he whispered as he looked away and back to Alvida. "I know this place..."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

*And the mountain of the gods will guide you home...

Skógur Heim | [member="Asher Mossa"]
HWiLlPs.png

Do not delay, we are eager to return.

'I am pleased you see it my way.' The ship dove gracefully to the right, probably the first time she had made a smooth turn their entire journey. 'This is where my pack lives.' Her finger stretched out to point through the view port. As they drew closer and closer to the mountain she pointed at it slowly became clear that it was hardly a mountain at all. The giant, dormant volcano spread almost three miles across, the walls of the crater seemed too tall for any. Nestled in the very heart of it sat a village with houses crafted from wood and stone. 'We cannot land here. There is not enough room, but I wanted to show you.' Alvida lent dangerously forward, not caring for the reckless abandon of the controls or the fact that she was randomly smashing buttons under her chest. The tip of her nail rapped on the glass, just over the tall house that stood in the centre of the settlement. 'That is my home. Where we will stay while we are here.' She settled back into her chair just in time to pull the ship round, saving it from slowly nose diving down into the village.

As they sped away to a clearing made for the specific purpose of landing, they could see a few tiny specks had already made their way out of the houses and begun to wave furiously up at the ship. Alvida was concentrating now though, landing was always the tricky part. The ship lurched down making her stomach feel like it was floating. It was a bumpy ride back down to earth, but the minute the ship touched ground Alvida was off like a shot. 'Come on!' As she zipped past the co-pilots seat she caught Asher by the arm and dragged him to the ramp as it hissed and creaked. 'It is not a very far walk, but the fire mountain can be difficult to climb. I hope you are up for the challenge.' A stream of blonde hair whipped through the air as she turned to face him with her trade mark mischievous smile. She wouldn't tell him there was a path roughly carved into the mountain side. She wanted to test him, to really know if he had the strength to be one of them.

There was no other way to see it. Asher was certain that particular details of their meeting that her father did not need to know at all. It did not take long before Asher's eyes were fixed once again on the ground below. Homes made of stone and wood came into view, and once again Asher could feel the overwhelming sensation that he was home. It wasn't just the mountain, which as they flew over it turned out to be more than what it appeared to be. The volcano made Asher curious as to why a village was settled there. If the mountain was active it would be foolish, so he assumed it must have been dormant for years.

Eyes looked over as he could feel the ship saking. Alvida was leaning over the controls trying to point out her home. Asher thought he got a good look at it, and nodded as she explained they would be staying there while they were on the planet. It dawned on him suddenly that they would not be staying. Whether it soon, or some time off, they would be leaving. Asher hoped to have as much time on the world as possible. Why would he come home just to leave once again? No, Asher was going to get to know this world and culture intimately. He had already missed so much.

Alvida's excitement exuded energy, enough that Asher could feel himself ready to climb ten mountain passes. He had survived the landing, Asher could conquer anything else Alvida threw at him. Of course that had been before they reached the base of the mountain climb. Asher looked up and hummed to himself.

"I could be at the top in three leaps," Asher said wondering if she had seen anyone use the force before. There were things about him which Asher nor Alvida had talked about. The spells were not the only thing he was capable of. Having been trained by witches and Jedi, Asher could use the force in various different ways. He smirked toward Alvida as he placed his hands on the rock and began to climb. "I take it you would rather see me climb?"

He looked at her with a smug look on his face.

"Race you to the top?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

So he wants to race? Show him what you can do.

The walk through the forest sent her senses on fire. Everything felt familiar and safe. As she brushed past the boreal trees she felt herself again. Even the voices were taking a rare break and allowing her to enjoy the sounds of nature all around her. Head tilted back, blonde hair almost sweeping the tops of her thighs, she allowed the bright orange glow of the sun to bathe her in a comforting warmth. 'Ég saknadi dessa stad.' Her voice trickled out, barely a whisper. This was one forest Alvida was disinclined to disturb. 'These are the forests of my childhood. I used to play here when I was a pup.' As they approached the base of the mountain Alvida let her head tilt back at a dangerous angle, trying to catch a glimpse of the tall walls that made up the crater. Once at the foot of the mountain Asher, of course, had something to say.

A brief flash of understanding crossed Alvida's eyes. Did he also possess the magic the God's blessed the Lupine's with? Along with whatever this false God had given him, of course. 'Yes, using magic is cheating. Hands only. I know you can use them.' She passively wondered what Asher would make of the climb and if he would be willing to accept the challenge she presented him. As she and the voices agreed, Asher did accept it and he did so with a counter offer of his own. 'A race, saetur einn?' Already she had bent down to peel away the leather wraps covering her feet. 'I will show you no mercy.' With no warning she lifted the back part of her dress under her legs and tucked it into her belt, effectively giving herself a pair of awkward woollen shorts. Her fingers immediately found their footing in the nearest crack in the rock face.

With a wild look crossing her eyes and an excitable grin on her face, she turned to Asher and spoke. 'Drir, tveir, einn... FARA!'

Ég saknadi dessa stad. - I have missed this place.
Drir, tveir, einn, fara! - Three, two, one, go!

Asher looked over as Alvida spoke barely above a whisper. The woods were her realm, everything about who she was made him certain she felt more at home among the trees than she did inside any building. His smile stretched across his lips when he was told magic was cheating. Seeing the joy in her face to be home, as she stared up toward the crest of the volcano. The cliff wall was not as jagged as Asher would have hoped. The hollow cavern that was best for climbing was more narrow than he was accustomed too, but he would climb.

Alvida gave him little warning before she began he ascent. She had counted them off, but at her pace. She moved faster than he anticipated even though he was sure she knew this climb more intimately than they knew each other. His calloused hands did t care about any of that. Fingers gripped the surest places and pulled himself, holding for his feet to find a strong crook. For most such a climb without a harness would be idiotic at best, and suicide at its worst. Asher didn’t care. He knew the task, and he knew his limits. This would stretch him, but it would not break him.

Muscles tightened, firm and sore, as he neared the landing. The sound of a crowd gathering to watch their ascent drifted down toward Asher’s ears. For a moment it caused him to lose his focus, his grip slipping. A few pieces of stone broke loose and fell the great distance to the ground below. Forcing himself up with one pull of his remaining hand, Asher recovered and finished the climb.

Cheering echoed around him as Asher collapsed on the mossy rock. He rolled into his back to see Alvida standing over him, a wolffish grin on her face. Asher may not have beaten her to the top, but he had made the climb without using the force. He was strong, though spent. A lazy, tired smirk played at his lips.

“I lost...”

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Skógur Heim | Asher Mossahttp://starwarsrp.net/user/18168-asher-mossa/
HWiLlPs.png

What will your family think of this stranger? Who dares bring back an outsider to stay here, let alone to live here?

One sure foot after the other Alvida clambered up the route she had taken many, many times before. The race was not dominated by either one, Asher definitely had the advantage of strength. More times than she could care to admit her eyes glanced back only to see him neck and neck with her. Her bare feet knew the way, the calloused yet supple skin was so familiar with the rocky terrain it did not hesitate in its step. The sound of her people cheering them on as they drew nearer forced a smile onto her face. LOOK BEHIND YOU. The voices could be heard even over the din of the hundred strong gathering. Alvida snapped her head back to glance at Asher, just in time to see one of his hands come loose from the rock. She almost reached out, almost wrapped him in her magic to prevent him from falling. The few seconds she spent watching him scramble to get his grip again felt like the longest in her life, but fortune smiled on them. The moment she knew he was safe again her energy returned and she sped her way up the rest of the mountain.

Out of breath, but grinning like a Cheshire cat, Alvida turned to watch Asher slip down from the crater walls and roll over onto his back. She still had the grin on her face, even as she lent down to sweep away the hair that had fallen over his face. 'Yes, you lost. But at least you fought the battle well. That in itself is a victory.' All of a sudden the cheering cut itself short. The whispers travelled through the crowd like a wave until the whole gathering buzzed and tittered like insects on a warm summer night. Who was this stranger? Why had Alvida brought him back to them with no warning? The moment the young wolf had confirmed her charge had not passed out from exhaustion was the moment Alvida turned to leap into the arms of a tree trunk sized man with jet black hair and a serious expression. The look softened the minute he found the little wolf entangled in his embrace. He dwarfed her. In comparison it was almost like the difference between an eagle and hummingbird, but neither were as tame as their likenesses.

'Blód af blódi mínu, dú ert kominn aftur!' The great baritone voice boomed out into the crowd, completely silencing it and simultaneously seeming to shake the entire core of the volcano itself. Alvida could only squeak in delight for a few moments, refusing to remove herself from the mass of midnight beard and hair. Waste no time. They were right, the moment would last forever if she allowed it too. Alvida pulled herself away and began to talk fluidly in her thick native tongue. From how quickly she spoke now it was easy to see she had been slowing herself down for the benefit of Asher. The great alpha wolf listened, branch sized arms wrapped tightly around her waist. Alvida had always loved the weightless feeling of being in her Father's arms, but for now she was much too busy to allow herself the time. Her tone dipped, signalling the end of her very short rant.

Almost the minute she did the crowd's whispers picked back up again. The look the great brooding man gave his young pup seemed to cause Alvida to wince slightly. He released her and smoothed a hand over his thick, bushy beard. 'So. You are the one who is lost to us? I do not recognise you.' Moving slowly and purposefully, though his steps could be heard from a mile away at least, the great wolf walked over to the stranger on the floor. His accent seemed to be wildly heavier than Alvida's was, though it wasn't really helped by the deep tones of his voice. There was no ceremony to his greeting of the man, he was still a foreigner in his eyes after all. Partly because Alvida's eyes were burning a hole in the back of his skull and partly as a gesture of good will the giant man offered his hand out to Asher. 'My memory will loosen when food and drink have filled their purpose. Come with us. Tell me what you remember.'

Blód af blódi mínu, dú ert kominn aftur! - Blood of my blood, you have returned!

Asher sighed as he looked up to the blue sky, his chest heaving from the climb. Alvida seemed to be less winded than he was, though he was certain the climb had taken its toll on her as well. The cheering had grown into silent stares and wonderment as Asher, the outsider, lay on the moss covered rock with his arms randomly laying about the stony surface. He looked about, eyes passing from the faces to see if anyone looked familiar, but no one did. It was disappointing for a moment, but that did not last long as a grizzly bear of a man walked up to where Asher lay and offered his hand. His brisk baritone voice was enough to wake the dead from their slumber, and Asher did not need to ask who this man was. Just the way Alvida acted around him told him all he needed to know.

'So. You are the one who is lost to us? I do not recognise you.'

"So I am told. I don't recognize anyone either."

He took the hand that was presented to him. Alvida's father was strong, and smelled of the same woods that Alvida wore as her fragrance. Once he was on his feet, Asher assured his grip was strong and sure as he greeted the man.

"Asher Mossa, though I am sure that is not my real name, and I will tell you all you want to know over meat and mead!"

Mead especially. After the climb, and the flight, every part of how he had come to this point in his life, Asher needed a good stout mead. The honey liquor was one of his only regular indulgences and it seemed no one could make it right. His eyes shifted to Alvida, a bit wary of getting caught, but his eyes were sending one simple message, "thank you."

It was not a long walk to the village from where they were. The smell of woods and smoke wafted toward Asher's nostrils. He had arrived to the sight of a raging fire, fresh, and seemingly to welcome home the prodigal daughter as she returned from her journey. Cured meats were being put on the spit to cook as it seemed a feast was in order. Asher was going to get a taste of the culture he had long since been ripped away from.

His first order of business was to get a healthy glass of mead and wash it down in one gulp. It was heavenly.

"More," he thrusted the mug at the person who had poured his first, and then walked back toward the dark haired skin changer.

"There is not much I remember of this place. It was my first hunting party, we were attacked, and when I found my way back to the village, everyone was dead. I was taken as a slave, from which I eventually escaped and I have wandered from one place to the next ever since. It was not until I met Alvida by what seemed like chance that I knew anything of where I might be from. She used a phrase I remembered from my mother, and that is how I knew."

Asher said nothing about the gift of the gods, or the rest of the meeting, in fact he drew quite for fear he would say too much.

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Rest now, for we are where we belong.

Alvida watched with cautious eyes as the two interacted. There was no reason for her to feel nervous about it. As the first born of her pack her Father took what she said seriously, as did most others around her. One day she would be leader, the practice was helpful as was the lessons learnt from mistakes made. Alvida didn't feel like this was the only reason she felt such unease at the alpha male of her pack talking to her ward. Perhaps it was because, despite her standing in the pack, the one person she could not question was the man who currently had his hand wrapped around Asher's. All of her worries went out of the window the instant her Father mentioned mead and meat. Eating and drinking did not cross his mind when he was concerned or thinking seriously, she still to this day had no idea how he kept on top of his great stature with such a diet. Alvida's shoulders and posture visibly relaxed as the massive tree trunk arms of her Father went round Asher's shoulders. Perhaps he wasn't entirely aware of the full extent of his strength because Alvida could have sworn she saw Asher sink down a few inches.

The headed off toward the feasting hall, which was conveniently attached to their home. For the meanwhile Alvida decided to remain behind and say a few personal hellos to some of the Dúsundir she had known for almost her entire life. They were all family, all part of one pack. She missed them almost as much as she missed her own flesh and blood, but this alone was not the reason she stayed behind. In a few short minutes the settlement had cleared and the loud buzz of a party beginning floated through the soft breeze and into her ears. Alvida drew a deep breath of air, air that she had breathed since the day she was born. The sounds of nature all around her were a comforting presence, even the warm glow of the feasting fire slowly heating her back felt like a safety net. Alvida opened her eyes up and smiled to the setting sun. It was good to be home.

Sounds drifting into her ears, or rather ripping through her ear drums, caused Alvida to snap her head toward the feasting hall. Her two brothers Flóki and Vigfús were calling. A call she rarely ignored. Setting off at a break neck speed she ran toward the ring of orange light that stretched beyond the reach of the house. Bursting through the door she was greeted with an onslaught of arms and legs that toppled her over onto the rough wooden floors. 'DJOFLAR!' A laugh unlike any other she had produce ripped through the din of the feasting hall. Her younger twin brothers, only eight in age, were Alvida's favourite people in the entire Galaxy. Partially because they took after her with their wild and unruly personalities.

'BOYS.' Bellowed the alpha male. It shook the walls around him and silenced the rowdy trio, though they continued to play their rather aggressive wrestling game between them. Rikhard laughed, a belly laugh to rival all belly laughs, and slapped Asher on the back firmly. 'They are as wild as nature. They drive their Mother insane.' The great beast of a man took up his mug and gulped down the rich honey coloured liquid it contained. Quietly, and with a serious expression, he listened to what Asher had to say. A rumbling 'hmm' sounded out through the noisy gathering. 'If my memory serves me right that makes you roughly twenty-seven, twenty-eight years? Going by the age of the first-hunt, of course.' A sombre tone seemed to dim the mood and the room itself, it was almost as if the fire reacted to his emotion. 'I was young myself, I remember the raid. We lost many good people, many pack members, many warriors and farmers and children. Oh how my Father raged. If you think I am bad you should have seen him.'

The great man smoothed his eyebrows out with two fingers and sighed heavily. 'We can talk more on details later. There are a few elders that will remember the time well. But first let us eat and drink. You must need sustenance after a week with my litil villt hlutur. What else has has she told you of our home? No doubt you were more confused by her actions than you are any of this.' He motioned to the feasting hall around him, but of course he was gesturing to the planet as a whole. 'She has always had her grandmother's mystery.'

Djoflar - Demons
Litil Villt Hlutur - Little Wild Thing

Alvida's father only asserted his strength as he led Asher toward the feast hall. Part of him wondered if the display was in part a warning not get any unwholesome ideas about his daughter. Certainly he knew that his daughter was an attractive young woman that could turn the head of any hot blooded man simply by walking into a room. Perhaps the assumption was because Asher was a father or because he was focused too much on not getting caught thinking the very thoughts he assumed he was being warned against. Naturally the light hearted mood and the joviality of a party atmosphere overtook anything Asher was beginning to feel in regards to the father. Alvida had made him nervous from the start about this man, but Asher found he liked him.

It was the sight of the twin boys which caused Asher to pause. His world was suddenly turned upside down in an instant as his eyes looked to Alvida, the boys, her father, and the joy that came from the scene. The light which had been in his eyes slowly faded as thoughts about his own son filled his mind. Asher had been young when he was born, and the twins looked about the same age as his own. No father ever wished to survive their son, but Asher had, and by quite a few years at that. He breathed in a heavy breath and let the sigh out through his nostrils.

"I can only imagine," Asher answered. "I am sure mine would have as well." A twinge of sadness could be heard in his voice, likely more obvious to Alvida who had seen a picture from the gods of his wife and son. He searched for her eyes before he pushed on and found the gaze of her father questioning his answer. "My village is not the only loss I have suffered in my life, and your sons are near the age my own would have been." There did not need to be any secrets if he was supposed to be moving forward. "They are strong like their father. You are proud I am sure."

With that Asher smiled and moved on from the conversation. The story of Asher's raid had prompted a memory in Alvida's father. Asher would have hoped an event such as what he described would have been common knowledge to those old enough to have heard the news. He nodded when asked about his age. ​"Twenty-nine, and born on the Winter Solstice. My parents missed out on the festivities..." For good reason. Asher chuckled at his own attempt at humor. It may have been cheesy, but Asher thought it was funny.

It seemed the beastly man did not want to focus on the story or the tragedy which surrounded it. Alvida was home, and she had returned with a prodigal. That was cause for celebration. It took every ounce of Asher's will to not reply to the man with what he was thinking. If only he had known just how true his words had been he likely would not be saying them. There was one thing he would agree with aloud, and only because he felt it was safe to do so.

"Confusing is a good way to put it, and after that climb, I am more than hungry. I am quite ravenous!"

A look only Alvida could know was sent her direction, and quickly as it was given was gone. Asher looked back to Alvida's father.

"Her grandmother's mystery... did she speak of the gods and the father as much as Alvida has these past days?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Don't leave him alone for too long, little wolf.

'That I am.' Though he was speaking of pride his voice did not give it away. There was only a low, monotonous sound to the tone, almost as if he could feel Asher's pain. Or rather, did not want to even begin to imagine it. Once again his dinner plate sized hand came to clap the young man solidly on the square of his back. Generally, emotions were not a thing he dealt with, but he could at least offer out his respects for this. 'My words will hold no meaning, but I bleed for your loss...' It was all he could manage to say on the subject. Glad for the change of topic he nodded his head, stroking the ends of his beard with his fingers. A grumbling belly laugh sounded at Asher's suggestion and he used a sausage finger to wipe away a tear in his eye. 'As did many, my boy.' Another great slap landed between Asher's shoulder blades as he boomed. 'Then let us eat and drink till we forget how to stand!' A cheer sounded out around the feasting hall, followed by many raised glasses. Rikhard moved from the crude wooden bar, taking a keg of the mead along with him, to the nearest bench and motioned for Asher to do the same.

'If anything Alvida speaks of them more. That woman...' The alpha wolf boomed with laughter at what was supposed to be a joke, but his face returned to his sombre expression almost instantly. 'It is a powerful magic they both possess. By the time she passed my wife's Mother could pick any date to see into in the blink of an eye. Past or future.' His tone had turned sad, as if there were a hidden pain behind his words. 'They both see into what has not yet passed, both delight in the elements all around us.' He slammed the heavy wooden mug onto the table, a rather blatant indication that he wanted more mead. 'It is a curse just as much as it is a blessing from the Gods. They both hear those blasted voices, neither were or are willing to admit that it is a sickness. The life and culture of our people is too deeply ingrained in her, she only hears what she is willing to hear about it and she is only willing to hear them. Though I have to say she does not try me as much as she did when she was a pup. Control comes with time, there is no doubt she will ever lose her flair for the dramatic though.'

Alvida had finally managed to wriggle her way free of the hyperactive wolf pups. Her blonde hair was tangled wildly, braids slipping out to the point of no return, but she didn't care. Her curious eyes scanned the crowd for her Father, and Asher. Reading emotion on his face almost felt like second nature now. In the beginning he was such a curiosity to her that she often simply watched him. Eating, sleeping, breathing, all seemed to hold her attention with the same fevered desire. The twinge of sorrow on his face set her heart beating rapidly. By the time she had politely made her way through the torrent of welcome homes and how are yous her Father and Asher were sat at a table indulging in drinks and conversation. His expression no longer held the scars of what once had been. 'Halló Pabbi.' Her ethereal tone dripped with a sweet daughterly note floated across the din of the hall. 'Hvad ertu ad tala um?' The great wolf lifted his hand and patted his knee for his daughter to sit on. She did so willingly.

'Do not pretend like you have not heard the entire conversation from over there.' His finger motioned across the room to where she had previously been rolling around on the floor with her brothers. Alvida pouted and stuck a tiny bit of her crimson tongue out at him. It elicited another laugh from Rikhard and he used the very tip of his finger to sweep a strand of yellow hair from Alvida's face. 'Elskadir, we are not quite finished here. Go and fetch us something from the fire? Bring the whole animal if you must, we are hungry.' Alvida almost found herself protesting, but instead decided to keep her mouth shut. He must like Asher's company if he felt inclined to shoo her from the conversation. Before she left, in one quick act of defiance, she brought the full mug of mead to her lips and downed it noisily. Alvida didn't seem to care that the honey coloured liquid trickled down her skin and onto her dress. It dropped from her hand to the table with a loud clatter as she swung her legs off her Father's lap. 'Spilla gott.' She warned her Father as she walked away, her tone almost as serious as his. As she walked away she couldn't help but think this was all a very good sign.

Halló Pabbi. - Hello Daddy.
Hvad ertu ad tala um? - What are you speaking of?
Elskadir. - Beloved.
Spilla gott. - Play nice.

Asher looked over to Alvida and her wrestling with the twins as her father explained the mystery that Alvida. Her gift was not one all of the villagers shared. It was like the force as well, not everyone had been touched by the force. Alvida was a seer. The voices were what she would listen to, and it seemed that her life was driven by them. Her mysterious ways were core to who she was, but Asher found he did not care that her father said she would never be rid of them. What intrigued Asher the most was how these seers would be able to pick a specific time and look at it. What had Alvida seen about Asher? Had their meeting been something she had seen? His eyes looked at her with even more curiosity. What did she know of him?

The relationship she had with her father was something she had never seen. It was loving and playful, with a bit of back talk. This culture seemed to know nothing of sadness, and if they did they drowned it away in mead and meat. Two kegs of mead had hoisted to the center of the table where Asher and Rikhard had been sitting. Glass after glass was poured as the two of them talked and laughed, cried because they laughed so hard. Alvida hopped off her father's lap to get the meat, a whole animal he was told. With a smile he watched as she wandered off looking as though she was exactly where he belonged. Asher could not help but bet feel the same thing.

Alvida returned with a massive roasted beast, and flopped it on the table. The smell was unlike anything Asher had ingested before. The kill looked fresh, the meat was tender. Juices flowed from the meat as it was ripped into. His mouth was watering as he impatiently ripped into the beast and tossed the food into his mouth. If there was some cultural or religious ritual, Asher didn't care. He was hungry. He was going to eat.

"Mead, Meat... Is there Music!?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Break free from the crowd, show him your true home.

When Alvida returned to the table with her the food she was pleased to find a warmer welcome from her Father. He pushed the bench on the opposite side of the table out for her as she placed down the heavy load of meat and various vegetables charred by flames. 'We do not eat... these.' Her finger poked lightly at the colourful array of flora. 'But I am told that humans are required to eat such things. For all the good they do.' Meeting Asher's eyes with her own she shot him a curious look that asked many questions without the need for any words. She wondered what he thought of their home, her family, their world. She wanted to know if it was everything that he had expected, but Rikhard had other ideas. He was already filling up the mugs with the sweet homemade mead. Alvida took it, not daring to break eye contact even as she downed the mug and lost herself in the roar of the feasting hall.

Soon the noise of metal plates against solid wood tables and the sound of happy, filled stomachs faded away and was replaced by a rowdy hum the crowd made. Alvida pulled herself up from the bench and flicked her long golden hair behind her shoulders. With little to no ceremony she hiked up the edges of her skirt and stepped onto the benches, then the table, then the bench on the opposite side. Nobody seemed to notice or care that she had simply stepped over the food, mead and a fair few heads. She didn't even seem to mind that the copious amounts of mead had made her stumble once or twice on a bit of bone or an empty mug. Once safely on the floor again Alvida spun on her heel and wrapped her moonlight arms around Asher's shoulders. Bending in the middle she placed her bright lips against his ear and whispered softly. 'Komdu med mér.' Pulling away from him she wrapped her fingers around his shirt and tugged gently at the sleeve. 'I want to show you something.'

Komdu med mér - Come with me.

Asher laughed when Alvida mentioned they did not eat the vegetables. The colorful roasted roots and bulbs which adorned the meat did look appetizing. Being human, Asher was not going to let the vegetables go to waste, and he put a few on the plate.

"It is a wonder you made them at all, but lucky for me you did," he said with a teasing tone as he bit into something orange. The fire roasted flavor was actually very good, and Asher nodded as he ripped more meat with his teeth. He was no animal, but he was hungry enough that he ate like one, spilling half the mead down his shirt as he washed the food past his throat.

There was no sense of time at the feast. By the time everyone seemed to be satisfied and the music played the roast beast had been picked to the bone. The sound of reverie and joyous celebration filled the hall, and those who were lost in the mead put on the display every party was loathe to be without. Asher sat back and watched as he remarked to himself how good it felt to among these kind of people, his kind. They did not just seem like his kind, but they were his people.

Alvida rose, making a grand display of her own inebriated condition. A loud laugh bellowed from deep within Asher's gut. It was cut short as her arms wrapped around his shoulders right in front of her father. Hopefully he was too drunk to care at this point, but Asher was wary regardless. His throat needed to remain intact. Alvida's words were too inviting however, and while he did know what she had said fully, the tug on his shirt was enough for him to know she beckoned him to follow.

There was no complaint as Asher stood and followed. Alvida wanted to show him something the words had followed in basic. Not to be without, Asher grabbed to mugs of mead as he continued where Alvida led. They both needed their fill of the drink.

"Lead the way..."

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png

Silly little wolf, playing silly games.

Alvida was too merry to care what her Father thought in the moment, she simply desired to have Asher follow her. Besides, he was heavily invested in a conversation about the merits of an axe vs a long sword, a heavily debated topic on Skógur Heim. Willow fingers found Asher's and tangled them impossibly as the nimble wolf picked her way through the crowd. As they dipped through the gaps in the gathering a thought crossed Alvida's mind, one that probably would have done so sooner if it weren't for the mead. Asher had laughed. The sound was still echoing in her mind like the beat of a drum, it played back and forth till she found herself unwillingly grinning. With little warning she made a sharp turn toward a set of double doors, tugging Asher's arm in tow. The smile broke into a laugh as she haphazardly bumped into the door way on her way past.

Turning on her heel, with wide eyes gleaming at Asher, she released his hand and pulled the doors shut behind them. Almost instantly the noise of the gathering died down, turning into the low rumble of a distant thunder storm. Despite the fact that they had spent almost a week together on a junkyard ship Alvida found herself pleased that they were alone once again. Still watching with her ever tempting eyes, Alvida took slow steps backward from the doors, beckoning to Asher with a single finger. 'This way. You are not too drunk? The stairs are steep.' Another giggle escaped her, the tone rich with the mead she had been sipping all night. Her feet slapped against the wooden stairs, taking them two at a time. They passed the first, second and third floors without any sign of stopping. On the fourth floor, when all that seemed to be above them was a small opening in the roof, Alvida turned sharply and pressed a hand to Asher's chest. 'I hope you are not afraid of heights.' Hand still resting on his chest she flicked her wrist lazily and brought a splintered wooden ladder sliding down from the rafters.

Her inebriation caused her to drop it slightly to early and it landed with a dusty thump against the floor. Wanting to waste little time her feet scrambled to find purchase on the partially rotting wood. Somewhere in her mind the voice of paranoia reminded her that it was a long way to fall, but the strength and might of the mead dimmed it instantly. Once she reached the top of the ladder Alvida wriggled her way through the opening in the roof and disappeared into the depths of the night above. A split second later she popped her head over the edge, eyes searching for her sweet one. 'Be careful, the wood is aged.' It was all she seemed to have to say on the subject, except for giving the ladder an almost familiar pat, as if it were an old family pet.

Asher had no idea where he was being led to, all he knew was that wherever they were going, she wanted to show him something. At first his mind drifted to something a bit less appropriate as Alvida closed the doors behind him. She was always playing games though, so Asher was not surprised when this was not their destination. Forward the continued until they climbed four sets of stairs. They continued to go up at a dizzying pace for Asher considering how much he had to drink. He was not too drunk, but the spinning combined with the effects of the alcohol made him terribly nauseous for a moment. When they stopped near the rafters, Asher was pleased for the relief. Everything with Alvida today seemed to be centered around climbing, so when a ladder dropped to lead up onto the roof Asher chuckled.

"Always up and up with you today isn't it." he remarked as she made the climb before him.

She looked down to tell him the climb was not as stable as it looked because of the age of the wood. Asher nodded and started his climb. The wood creaked simply from his weight which made him take the climb slower than he would have liked. The pace allowed him the control. Of course the mead he had wanted to bring up with him was not going to happen with such a cautious climb, so Asher left on the floor.

Finally Asher squeezed through the opening on the roof and caught the chill of the night breeze. His nostrils took in the scent of the air as he filled his lungs with the intoxicating smell of the forest around them. Asher nearly thought he was in heaven, until he looked up and saw the night sky. It was dazzling and brilliant, as if the entire galaxy could be seen from that one place. His eyes found Alvida, and with no one to see them, or her father's watchful eye, Asher gripped her arm and pull her close, taking her lips with his.

"I have been waiting all night to do that," he said before resting his head on hers. "What is it you wanted me to see?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

HWiLlPs.png
You should jump.
Her pale face, bathed in the moonlight that shone through the gap in the roof, watched on as Asher made the slow climb up the old ladder. Reaching out with her hand her wrist made a dainty circular movement that made the mugs of mead chase Asher up as he climbed on. 'All the best things are in the sky, saetur einn. If you stop reaching higher you eventually have to fall and nobody wants that.' Her tone of voice was sweet, and a little slurred. She seemed to sway lightly, though the minute Asher stood on the roof tops he would realise it was from the rolling breeze. The voices in her head screeched to be heard, telling her that he would fall at any moment or the wood would give way and he would injure himself. They refused to quieten till he was stood next to her, safe and sound on the forty foot high roof. Surprisingly that bothered them less.

It was mesmerising watching him inhale the sweet summer air. Nothing she could think of seemed to put into perspective just how incredible being back home was for him. Alvida had known the sensation of missing home, but to have not had one for almost your entire life? The thought made her shudder. So engrossed in her thoughts the first thing to bring her round again was his firm grip wrapping around the sleeve of her dress, drawing her into a gentle kiss. As their foreheads joined together Alvida produced a mildly inebriated grin. 'That took you long enough.' Nimble fingers found his arms and wrapped them round her waist as she turned to face the stretch of midnight sky in front of them.

The forests seemed to be endless, each tip of the tall trees that made it up catching the moonlight and swaying in the breeze. A summer fog had begun to roll across the mountains, but not enough to cloud their view at all. 'Home.' Despite the simplicity of response the actual answer spoke volumes. Her hand stretched outward, finger finding something far off in the distance. From where they stood, and due to the lateness of the night, it only seemed to be a black shadow on an even darker background. The longer they looked the more clear it became. 'That is the tree we saw in our vision.' Its branches seemed to stretch up into the night sky, twisting and turning as it reached out for the twinkling stars. 'You can see it from anywhere on Skógur Heim. The island is is on is called Dyr Gudis. It is where the doctors and the scholars and the magicians live. Tomorrow we will visit and I will show you the temples to the Gods and introduce you to the seers there. They will know you better than any other.'

Alvida turned their bodies an inch or two, finger following slowly. 'That is the merchant's settlement.' She now rested on a distant, distant village. A few orange pin pricks in background represented lights flickering in the distance. 'You can only see it on a clear night from up here. It is further away than it seems. That is where I bought my ship, and where we will travel sometime before we leave.' Once again she turned them, once again the movement was incredibly subtle. Now all she seemed to be pointing at was valley nestled between mountains that seemed to go on forever. 'That is where the Húdbreytingar first arrived. Stadur Upphafsins. The Place of Beginnings. It is sacred to the Dúsundir. We celebrate Fadirin's Day there sometimes.' Alvida rested her head back against Asher's chest, finally letting her arm fall and come to settle against his. 'What do you think, saetur einn? Does it feel like home?'

All the best things are in the sky... Asher simply smiled. To her nothing was out of reach if you were willing to climb for it, and Asher was certainly willing. His entire life had been climbing from the bottom of what life could offer to find the place he was standing now. There was more to reach and more to attain, but Asher wanted to pause and appreciate the current height he had reached. For the first time since he could remember, Asher knew what it was like to be from somewhere. He knew what home was. The thought settled in his mind as he climbed the wooden ladder, and the kiss which he placed on Alvida's lips was as much one of desire and hunger as it was appreciation. She had opened the world to him, brought him where he belonged, and he knew he would always be hers because of it. No matter how far they traveled he would be hers, and Asher was determined she would be his.

The weight that was carried in the one word "home" made Asher smile once more. His grin was replaced with a look of wonderment as Alvida leaned against his chest and began to point out the sights she had wanted him to see. She pointed to the dark shadow in the distance. Before Alvida could tell him what it was, he knew. The Father called out to him even then. One voice was clear, even above Lylek who had been rather quiet this entire night. It was unlike him to be, but Asher welcomed the calm mind he was allowed for now.

"I can hear him calling to me, Alvida. As soon as it dawns we must go, no delay."

Yes, it had been her plan to take him, but Asher only emphasized the importance of that visit. Not only would they know who he was better than most, Asher could sense there was something else for him beyond a revelation of his home. The Father had plans, and while they remained hidden for now, the weight of divine call rested on the sense of what flowed about in his mind.

His eyes moved to the small flickers of orange and yellow which outlined a market settlement. Alvida had gotten her ship from them. Asher chuckled. "I should make them give you your coin back. I hope you did not pay much for that flying death trap," Asher sighed as he finished laughing. He was going to fix her ship anyway.

Her finger finally settled on the place where it had all began. The rich history and the stories Asher had never learned suddenly pulled him into a new world. He wanted to see it all in the daylight. The stars were amazing at night, and the shadow of the Tree was magnificent, but Asher wanted to see it all in the sun. He knew morning would give him more, it would bring a new adventure. His hands tightened around Alvida as his lips began to kiss her neck until they reached her ear.

"I cannot wait to see it all, saetur einn," Asher replied unsure of the exact meaning, but knew it to be an endearment. A soft spell was spoken under his breath, and the mead floated toward them. Asher motioned for Alvida to take one of the mugs as he took the other. "How long before they notice we are gone, would you say?"

[member="Alvida Osulf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom