Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Wayne Tech Biological EMP Grenade

Status
Not open for further replies.
22a5322a75a845f7c6d440b02a4a6c28--sci-fi-weapons-warfare.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: A futuristic EMP grenade designed in response to modern anti-EMP tech

Image Source: Aberiu on DeviantArt

Canon Link: N/A

Primary Source: N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Manufacturer: Wayne Technologies

Affiliation: Closed-market

Model: Mk.1

Modularity: No

Production: Minor

Material: Rubber, Duraplast, Argon gas, rechargeable power supply, electric feeding nodules, electric components, Genetically Modified Power-Consuming Organisms

SPECIAL FEATURES

Strengths:

• Can wipe out virtually all electronics, including lightsabers and blasters, within a 12 foot radius of detonation
  • Cannot be stopped by Ion/EMP shielding (second burst)

Weaknesses:

• Since the device is composed of living organisms, it is impossible to direct or control the flow of the attack at all whatsoever and may result in weapon backfiring (second burst)
  • Must be kept charged. If grenade runs out of power, the organisms within will die and the device becomes essentially useless.

DESCRIPTION

For all sakes and purposes, the grenade itself is of a very simple design. A rather unremarkable EMP grenade, it is capable of wiping out all non-shielded electronics within a 12-foot blast radius of the origin point. What makes it unique, however, are the organisms dwelling within that are released after the intial EMP burst.

Many sets of armor and such these days are shielded from EMP to prevent a single pulse from completely wiping out a person's technological assets on the battlefield. While this is all good for the majority of the Galaxy, some people wanted an innovative workaround. And so, as per the usual, Wayne Technologies heeded their call and set to work.

The first burst takes out those devices ripe for the picking, unshielded and unprotected. In essence, a regular EMP burst. Then, the Power-Consuming Organisms are released from their Argon-doped containment pocket to finish up the dirty work. Any bit of electronics within that 12-foot radius that isn't stuffed behind airtight sealing can be "devoured" and destroyed. Of course, this 12-foot number is merely a general guess. These are living microorganisms and it is entirely impossible to predict their movement patterns. However, in testing they generally tended to stick to the 12-foot measurement. After about 10 seconds of not being inside of their special Argon-filled habitat, they suffocate and die to prevent an outbreak of power outages.

Of course, there are several disadvantages to this product. The grenade has to be constantly charged to provide a food source for the organisms within with a battery life of approximately 12 hours. Once this runs out without being recharged the organisms within will starve to death in about 5 minutes' time. It is also helpful to note that due to the somewhat entropic nature of these organisms' movement patterns, the device can easily backfire on the user and shut off their electronics rather than the enemy's. To be totally safe, be sure to stand at least 25 feet away from the release point until the scene is clear.

Judas Wayne said:
Image Source: Starbase Wiki
Can you confirm that this is the image source please? If so, can you provide us with a more direct link to the page that has this image?

Judas Wayne said:
Material: Rubber, Duraplast, Argon gas, rechargeable power supply, electric feeding nodules, electric components, Genetically Modified Power-Consuming Organisms
Using organisms like this is pretty clever, but there's one issue with this. From the Genetically Modified Power-Consuming Organism sub:

Estimated Population: Semi-Unique (grown at one location; distributed as product throughout the Galaxy)
From the Codex Species template:
Semi-Unique (An extremely small number, first or last of their kind)
I'd recommend talking to the Codex staff and see if you can edit that sub to make these organisms much more common, allowing them to be used in this grenade.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Starbase Wiki is what came up with TinEye, but I just did a reverse image search via Google and got some varied results. Updated the image source to the best of my ability.

As for the species, it's kind of tricky (I think, at least) converting species population -> production level

[ Unique (Only One Member), Semi-Unique (An extremely small number, first or last of their kind), Rare (A few groups, often limited to a single world), Planetary (A Large Concentration on a single world or system, rarely found off-world), Scattered (Smaller groups found in many places around the galaxy), Inter-Planetary (Large colonies found within numerous star systems), Common (Can be found in most any space-worthy colony around the galaxy) ]
Estimated Population: Semi-Unique (grown at one location; distributed as product throughout the Galaxy)
When I made the species, I intended for it to be used as a weapon produced by Wayne Tech to disable electronics. I kind of didn't know how big the population should be for my intents and purposes, that's sort of why I put the whole "(grown at one location; distributed as product throughout the Galaxy" bit in there. The species as a whole is being grown out of one location, then packaged into grenades and shipped to Wayne Tech customers. "Rare" kind of seemed too big for what I was trying to do.

I don't know if it helps, but I'd also like note that production level on this product is Minor rather than Mass-Produced.

If you want me to I'll request to edit the species, just give me the word! Just thought I'd try to add my 2 cents.

That'll work for the image.

Judas Wayne said:
If you want me to I'll request to edit the species, just give me the word! Just thought I'd try to add my 2 cents.

Yes please. I think that an edit like that will take care of any ambiguity about their availability to be weaponized.

I saw the Codex sub has been edited, and that looks good now. I just went over it one more time and found a minor wording issue:

Judas Wayne said:
Any bit of electronics within that 12-foot radius that isn't stuffed behind airtight sealing will "devoured" and destroyed.

If you'll changed "will" to "can be". We can't dictate damage to our opponents, but we can suggest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom