Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Watchtower-class Defense Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZMBHHt5.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To submit a paramilitary station for the purposes of GA federal law enforcement and interdiction.
  • Image Source: 140-260216 space station by Kresimir Jelusic (robob3ar)
  • Canon Link: /
  • Restricted Missions: /
  • Primary Source: /
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Orbital Defense Platform/Observation Post
  • Length: 450 meters
  • Width: 450 meters
  • Height: 1200 meters
  • Armament: High
  • Defenses: Very High
  • Hangar: Average: 3 Squadrons and 1 Small Transport Hangar
  • Maneuverability Rating: Very Low
  • Speed Rating: Very Low
  • Hyperdrive Class: Very Slow: 10
STANDARD FEATURES
  • Advanced Sensor Array
  • Advanced Targeting Systems
  • Encryption Network
  • Escape Pods
  • Heavy Deflector Shield Generator
  • Holonet Transciever
  • Long-range Communications Array
  • Reinforced Hull Plating
  • Expanded Detention Cells
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Tractor Beams (x24)
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
  • Javelin Hypervelocity Cannon: Running along practically the entire length of the defense station's dart-shaped frame, a Watchtower's Javelin is its main offensive battery. Capable of firing three round bursts at superluminal velocities, the Javelin HVC is designed as a long range heavy capital killer.
  • Interdiction Field Generator: The Watchtower possesses a single artificial gravity well projector, capable of locking down hyperspace travel within its immediate surroundings but not powerful enough to interfere with inter-system traffic.
  • Planetary Observation Package: While most Watchtowers are deployed over outer planets or moons in order to monitor system traffic, the stations are equipped with directional high resolution cameras, capable of of monitoring and recording surface activity underneath its orbital position.
Strengths:
  • Eagle Eye: Not only does the Watchtower-class make use of a powerful sensor suite, in addition to its array of energy turbolaser and ion cannon batteries it boasts a powerful hypervelocity cannon capable of inflicting great damage at extreme range.
  • Lockdown: The defense station contains a single modestly sized gravity well generator capable of interdicting hyperspace traffic within its relative vicinity.
  • Bulwark: While strictly speaking operated by a civilian agency, these stations are paramilitary facilities designed hold prisoners awaiting transfer and monitor suspect traffic in more unstable sectors of the Alliance in addition to serving as regional headquarters for the Galactic Alliance Guard. Boasting military grade shielding and thick armor plating as well as a considerable arsenal of turbolasers, ion cannons, energy torpedo launchers, and point defense batteries.
Weaknesses:
  • Wind Up: The barrel of the station's hypervelocity cannon is positioned at the end of its hull's pointed tip. With under-powered sublight engines and maneuvering thrusters, lining up a shot with the station's main weapon takes some time and against more agile ships is easier said than done.
  • Pocket Interdictor: With only enough space for a single, smaller interdiction field generator, the Watchtower-class is not capable of locking down hyperspace travel vast span. In addition to taking some time to power up, its artificial gravity well only extends over nearby celestial bodies.
DESCRIPTION

An initially controversial proposition, in recent more troubled times for the Galactic Alliance plans for the Watchtower-class Defense Station were pushed through despite some protests over the militarization of federal police forces. Built to military specifications, but crewed and staffed entirely by agents of the Galactic Alliance Guard, these observation posts placed throughout Alliance territory serve as regional hubs for the enforcement of their nation's relatively few federal laws and statutes.

Primarily concerned with counter-smuggling operations, Watchtowers are most often deployed near worlds along major trade lanes as a result. But the agency also dedicates significant resources towards its Cultwatch division, whose purpose is the monitoring and evaluation of fringe Force sects suspect of ritual Darkside practices, a federal crime throughout the Galactic Alliance. Occasionally, an installation is called upon to consult with the local planetary constabulary in circumstances where resources are strained or a certain expertise is required.

Main Operations

One of four distinct sections, Main Operations is comprised mostly of the installation's command deck and dedicated towards to the purpose of station oversight and logistics. Standard operating procedure is for each Watchtower's command personnel to consist of a senior Guardsman in the Captain's post, along with a Defense Fleet officer serving as XO.

Overwatch

This section is where the vast majority of the day to day duties of the Galactic Alliance Guard are performed. In addition to secondary sensor stations for intelligence gathering purposes, this area is comprised mainly of office space for the various GAG divisions. Most personnel are assigned to either Customs or Cultwatch, although on the frontiers of Alliance space certain Watchtowers are sometimes more focused on more traditional police work in areas where local constabularies are practically nonexistent.

Holding Facilities

An expanded wing of detention cells for the purpose of temporarily housing those in Guard custody, this holding area often surpasses what less affluent worlds are able to afford in terms of security, and is used to restrain the most dangerous offenders against Alliance law until they can be transported to a more permanent place of confinement.

Flight Deck

Capable of housing up to three squadrons of system patrol fighters, the main hangar of the Watchtower-class is devoted mainly towards starfighter housing. The station also possesses a secondary hangar large enough to accommodate multiple shuttles or a light freighter at any given time.

Miel Tevv said:
Crystal Gravfield Trap: Each defense station is equipped with state of the art sensors, including synthetic crystal grids capable of detecting and identifying fluctuations in the local gravity field in order to uncover nearby cloaked vessels.
From the Factory Standardized rules:

1. Particularly rare or powerful special features may necessitate using a lower production (for example, cloaking technology, gemcutters, crystal gravtraps, equivalent stealth or anti stealth technologies, or rare canon technologies and their equivalents will only be permitted at Semi Unique production)
The Crystal Gravfield Trap will move this production up to semi-unique if you want to keep it.

Miel Tevv said:
In addition to taking some time to power up, its artificial gravity well only extends over a small fraction a star system's space depending on its position and particular orbital patterns.

This probably would actually probably be a planetary system, rather than an entire star system.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Apologies for keeping you in suspense on this one. Your review caught me in the middle of my work week, so tonight is the first chance I've had to take a real gander.

I probably should have looked up any potential factory restrictions for the crystal gravfield trap, the wiki says its a rare piece of technology but I found an EU light transport that appeared to come with them standard, so I wasn't even thinking of it in those terms. Nixed all mentions of it in the station sub, it was a luxury ask anyway.

Gir Quee said:
This probably would actually probably be a planetary system, rather than an entire star system.
Now this is more interesting. With my amateur background in astronomy, I always assumed those were two terms that meant the same thing. I believe you are referring to the technical definition of "star system", while in this instance I was using the phrase as standard sci fi parlance for a single solar system. Wikipedia agrees with you, but wookiepedia agrees with me. Would you still like me to make the edit to ensure clarity?

Miel Tevv said:
Now this is more interesting. With my amateur background in astronomy, I always assumed those were two terms that meant the same thing. I believe you are referring to the technical definition of "star system", while in this instance I was using the phrase as standard sci fi parlance for a single solar system. Wikipedia agrees with you, but wookiepedia agrees with me. Would you still like me to make the edit to ensure clarity?

I'm actually being much more amateur and imprecise with my language, for which I do apologize if I've caused any confusion.

By planetary system, I actually mean a singular planet and its immediate orbits (moons, satellites, etc). I cannot recall any instance of a traditional gravity well projector having that great of a range. Canonically speaking, only Centerpoint Station had the range to lock down a single system (the Star Wars version). Interdictors in old WEG source material give conventional gravity well projectors a range that is double (150 space units) of that a typical turbolaser. While that range certainly is greater than most weaponry available, it is not enough to cover entire star system (the Star War version).

[member="Gir Quee"]

Oh! I misunderstood, we're just haggling about scale. Centerpoint is a good barometer from Legends that I had forgotten about, I've adjusted the radius to only cover close by celestial bodies. Orbiting a large enough planet, escape via the far side would be possible. I hope this is more in line with factory standards.

Looks solid conceptually now, so I just went over it one more time.

Miel Tevv said:
Image Source: 140-260216 space station by Kresimir Jelusic (robob3ar) Restricted Missions: / Primary Source: /

One of those legalistic things, but this is currently missing the "Canon Link" heading in this area. I realize that this isn't really applicable to this station, but if you'll place it there and leave it blank or put "N/A", we should be good one then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom