Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Wardens of the West Wind (OPA Judges, Gunfighters, and Do-Gooders)

Jalarren. Nothing but desert and mining towns. Not even enough water in atmo to make moisture vaporators possible. Salt flats. Underground mines. Barely enough rations to make it livable. But as the saying goes, harsh lands make for harsh neighbors. Well, turns out it’s true. We need your help. Please. I know we can’t pay much, but it’s all we have.”

Such was the plea made by two humans, skinny and dirty, that led a motley band of Judges and do-good gunslingers to a two-bit town in the wastes of Jalarren. Wind whipped across the salt-flats and scoured barely two dozen run-down prefab shelters clean of any paint they might have once had. A few humans, heavily robed and covered, wound their way between the buildings, heads ducked against the sand.

Blaster marks pepper the buildings and a handful of fresh graves sit atop a nearby hill. At the sight of the approaching outsiders, the few visible inhabitants duck inside their homes and the hiss of sealing doors echoes across the desert.

“Sorry,” Nayva Wyndara, an aging human, said as she gave an apologetic shrug. “Last time a band of armed strangers came through, they killed five of us and stole half our food supplies. We been wary ever since Jax found that aurodium vein. Been lots of corp scouts poking in and out, making offers, insinuating threats. ” She turned and spat. It evaporated before it touched the ground.

A deep frown etched itself across Tiland’s face and he ran a hand through his beard. A gnarled finger tapped his chin. “Do we know who they are?”

“Nah,” Hak Trebok, a much younger Zabrak replied with a grunt. “Could be a rival corp. Could be a pirate band. Could be the neighbor village especially hard hit and desperate. Probably forty or fifty of them, I reckon. Nasty ones. Blasters, vibroweapons. Strong and willing to use violence. Might have some armored speeders too.”

“Hmm,” Tiland said, turning to look behind them and scan the horizon, as well as the faces of his companions. “I will do what I can, but I am no tactician. Nor one skilled in the art of planning a defense.” His voice rumbled through the desert air. “I leave this in your capable hands and will assist to the best of my abilities.”

“There’s about twenty of us total,” Nayva said, “We know how to work. How to use heavy machinery. And we ain’t leaving our land. Tell us what we need to do and it’ll be done.”

Tiland turned to assess the village again, nestled against their ridge of stone, with the narrow streets radiating out in a spiral from the central common where they all stood. Four streets, roughly four meters wide. Single story prefabs built atop underground tunnels and chambers. It could be turned into a warren of defense. Or perhaps there was another way. They needed something to hold back the swoop bikes and raiders when they next arrived. Which judging by the nervousness of the locals when they had been spotted, Tiland suspected the next attack could come that day. Likely at dusk, but perhaps even earlier. He rested both hands on top of his staff and assessed his motley crew of compatriots from the Outer Planets Alliance. "Well friends, shall we begin?"

Braelyn Zale

B
She’d been called out to help with a situation. Braelyn Zale still really had no idea who was paying her, but every so often she’d win a race and get some earnings, and if she wasn’t racing? Still, talons arrived at her next port of call. The Force worked weird, the Judges even worse. Or weirder? She wasn’t sure. But the Pamarthean had landed her larger ship, the Riptide on the world of Jalarren and found herself meeting with the Jedi Master known as Tiland Kortun. He was one of the Jedi of the Outer Rim Covenant, she thought, and Master of the Light Hand. She was doing a lot of hyperspace time, she had time to read briefings. And the HoloNet, and ShadowNet.

A lot of reading.

But the young Judge walked the surface, helped understand the situation and observed the world. Why was it always desert worlds out on the Rim? Was terraforming really that hard on some of these rocks? Or was it some Celestial’s sick joke? She didn’t really believe in the Celestials but still… The Racer had her pistol and her rifle. Maybe not able to use it to the extent of the Mandalorian she’d met, but she also had the Force. A hand was on her father’s kyber crystal, the green gem around her neck. She swallowed hard.

“What do you have in mind, Master Kortun?”

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Tiland turned and looked to the young Judge. Or Deputy, perhaps was the official title. He had a hard time remembering all the different titles used by the various Force sects in the Outer Rim. It's why he didn't do very much with titles in the Circle. A sad smile etched itself across his face. "That, my young friend, is the question." He cradled the staff under one arm and paced around the center of the village, fingers laced behind his back as he inspected the layout.

"I must admit to being no strategist. Certainly not an experienced field commander. Our first priority must be to protect the people of this village. Perhaps if we erect defenses outward from there," he pointed to the main shelter inside the rock. "Concentric rings of defense."

Tiland had never been schooled in siege warfare, nor had he paid very much attention to the logistics of the wars he had fought in. Certainly not the engineering aspect of things. It was a skillset he admired, of course, but it made little sense to him. His studies were mostly herbal, steeping, mystic, or artistic in nature. That made him pause. Perhaps if he viewed the situation as he would a ceremonial duel, except more life and death. His paces slowed as he turned and examined the village center. How would he fight this, personally? He was very good, perhaps among the best, save for Vorhi Alestrani Vorhi Alestrani and one or two others, but he was not rash enough to take on fifty armored and armed combatants willing to kill.

"What about you, Braelyn?" He asked, mind turning as he considered. "What would your training and experience suggest?"

Braelyn Zale

Kardek Alpha

K
Kardek stood alongside his current companions, silently surveying the challenge that lay ahead of them. His jacket rustled back and forth in the dusty wind, his hands resting against his belt. Alpha, an IG-88 Assassin droid, stood by his side motionless. The droid was an extension of Kardek, due to a life saving surgery that had resulted in cybernetic implants being placed inside Kardek's brain. Because of this, they had formed a neural link between him and Alpha, allowing for the droid to take some of the burden off of Kardek's damaged brain function through cybernetic programing. Kardek could not survive long without Alpha, it was a blessing and a curse.

Kardek's ship, a modified dynamic class freighter, was parked back at their initial rendezvous point. He had just recently aligned with the OPA, and wasn't a Judge or anything else like that. He was just simply a man looking to help even the odds. For many years he had served wicked and evil men for a paycheck, and he had done many horrible things in his line of work. But now he was led by his own personal convictions, serving those who desperately needed justice, and killing those who deserved the grave. Sure, you still have to pay the bills... He was not ignorant of how the galaxy worked. But he had found an interesting way of having the scum and the wicked pay him for their own eventual demise. So far it was working well enough, but one day it all might fall in on its head.

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun
"I must admit to being no strategist. Certainly not an experienced field commander. Our first priority must be to protect the people of this village. Perhaps if we erect defenses outward from there," he pointed to the main shelter inside the rock. "Concentric rings of defense."

Kardek nodded, agreeing with the proposition. He then lifted a hand, motioning at the underground tunnel network, "We could use those tunnels well enough to switch to different flanks during the fight." He said. "We would need to get the locals involved though to have a fighting chance... get them blasters, make sure they know how to pull the trigger." He paused for a moment, looking out over the small, dusty village.

Kardek continued surveying the landscape, thinking through the options. He then pointed past the village, "It would be nice to have some snipers on the Ridgeline, but not sure if we got any of those."

Kardek turned to Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun and Braelyn Zale, looking them both over. He then scratched his chin and made an observation, "You two are probably most comfortable with close quarters combat I'm assuming?"

Kardek Alpha

K
((OOC: So sorry, I hate to do this but I have to go on a long trip and won't be able to post for a long time, so I have to /Exit Thread. Very sorry for the inconvenience ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom