Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wait... YOU'RE Not Scrap. (Valkren)

Though she never got much business, Mama Keyla always opened up shop early. It was good to start while the Tattooine suns were still relatively low on the horizon. The cooler air always gave her a boost of energy for the day ahead.​
She walked over to the counter in the front room and checked her credit register. As she did this, a small blue hologram of a woman appeared next to the register.​
"Good morning, Mama K. How was your night?"
Mama Keyla looked down at the hologram and smiled.​
"I had a nice dinner, and a restful sleep. Thank you for asking, SARI."​
Mama Keyla picked up a datapad from behind the counter and started glancing through it's files.​
"I took the liberty of reorganizing the stock IDs while you were sleeping. They should be easier to keep track of now. I've also been notified that our shipment of speeder parts should be coming in this afternoon."
The hologram known as SARI used her connection to Mama Keyla's servers to highlight the notification at the bottom of the datapad.​
Mama Keyla shook her head, chuckling.​
"Sometimes I wonder how I ever got anything done without you, SARI. Well, I better get to checking everything in the back. You got things out here?"​
SARI nodded.​
"Great. I'll be back in a little while."​
And with that, Mama Keyla disappeared into the back room, leaving SARI to man the purchase counter. It was usually how things went on a casual day. Nothing too interesting happened very often, but it was still a nice place to be in for SARI. She enjoyed being busy in the evening. It was just the day that was sometimes hard to get through.​
[member="Valkren Calderon"]​

Sergeant Valkren Calderon's speeder cruised to an easy stop in the market district in one of the many Tattooine cities. His fingers wrapped around the handles of the speeder's controls as he let his gaze shift deeper into the market. It was damn early, and he hated being up so soon, but he had to make the trip quick. There was no telling where Doctor Ar'man Shaw was in the galaxy, or what was happening to him. So every second wasted on this desert planet is a second closer to the death of Doctor Shaw.

Although, it wasn't all that bad. Tattooine was alot nicer than Nar Shadaa, the crime here not nearly as bad as it was on that Hutt-infested planet. Not to mention the traffic. Dear lord, the karkin' traffic! On Tattooine there weren't nearly as many airways for ships and cars to travel through..Valkren had been in his fair share of wrecks on Nar Shadaa due to the complexity of the airways between the towering buildings. But the lack of hard crime and traffic wasn't why the Sergeant was on this desert planet. Calderon kicked the speeder into drive, moving at a slow pace through the market area.

Most of the stands and shops were closed this early, while the more dedicated business owners were already open. He was looking for one of the dedicated ones, Mama Keyla.

He didn't know Mama Keyla very well. He'd met the shop owner on an earlier mission while doing recon in the dunes of Tattooine. He figured she knew a good bit about what happens in the area of the city. His off-duty service jacket flapped slightly behind the Sergeant, his service cap stuffed in between his body and the speeder to keep it from flying off. As his jacket flapped up on occasion, the handle of blaster was displayed here and there when his right side was visible. The soldier would ease once again into a full stop, stepping off of the speeder and lifting the service cap up onto his head. He'd fit it tightly on his cranium, then go to adjusting his jacket as he walked up to her shop. His eyes caught glimpse of something blue, which caused a smirk to form on his young face.

"Didn't know Mama Keyla was into selling these dancer holograms..I wonder if she has the Cathar version.." Valkren stated as he walked up, not knowing exactly what he was approaching at the counter.

[member="SARI"]

SARI wasn't exactly sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. Being called a dancer implied that this man considered her to be pretty in some way, but at the same time, it implied that all she could do was move provocatively and nothing else. So, instead of answering his question, SARI chose to avoid it altogether. Her image stood with her hands behind her back as she looked up at the man and smiled.​
"Good morning sir! Welcome to Mama Keyla's Scrap Trade, where old can be made new. My name is SARI. How can we help you today?"

The Sergeant blinked, looking at the hologram that just spoke to him. A hologram on Tattooine that wasn't a dancer? Or a dancer that could talk..

Valkren stopped walking forward, standing in front of SARI. He'd stick out a thumb and tip his service cap back out of his face. "Uhm..Did you just.." He then grasped the bill of his cap, lifting it off of his head to let his right hand come up and scratch his head as he thought to himself. "So I'm guessing you're not a dancer hologram? You know..Like the one in the Cantina down th- Well..I don't know if you'd know cause you're..You know. A hologram."

He'd drop the cap back on his head, fitting it back on tightly. His face went slightly red, he felt as if he just harassed a real, living being.

[member="SARI"]

SARI's form blinked a few times, still maintaining the smile from before.​
"Yes, sir. I can speak. And no, I'm not a dancer hologram from the cantina down the street."
The last part of her statement sounded a tad bit annoyed. Sometimes it was hard to keep emotions from leaking through. It wasn't the first time she was mistaken for one of those programs. It did get old after a time, however.​
"Anyway, back to business. What is it you're looking for today?"
[member="Valkren Calderon"]

Valkren nodded, sincerely giving a slight bow as he spoke up once more, "Sorry about that Miss.." He'd straighten up, placing his hands behind his back in an official-type of manner. This might of looked odd if anyone actually knew Valkren, considering he wasn't the type to look formal. He'd prefer combat armor and a helmet, not a suit and tie. However, that didn't mean he doesn't clean up nice.

"I'm looking for the owner of the shop, Mama Keyla. Once again Ma'am, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.."

Why was he apologizing to a hologram?

[member="SARI"]

SARI nodded once and took a few seconds to check on Mama K in the back. She was still sifting through the scrap, making sure everything was there for purchase and not missing or misplaced. There was no indication SARI was doing this however, as it barely lasted three seconds before she continued.​
"Mama Keyla is currently taking stock in the back rooms. However, she left me in charge for customers until she returns. Why don't you tell me what you need, and I'll see what we can do?"
SARI said helpfully. She was happy that this man wasn't crude enough not to apologize. So many others would have just blown off her reply and continued on as if she didn't understand what she was saying.​

Valkren shifted his hands from behind his back. "Well..I was actually looking for abit of information. I don't know if you'd be able to provide it..SARI." The Sergeant couldn't help but to admire the blue lifeform. Not because of her pure beauty, but just how fascinating it was that she was having a full conversation with him. The soldier was used to hearing the dull voice of a protocol or intelligence droid in his ear piece while on missions. Droids that put the most practical plans forward, with no thought of human life. They always just looked for the fastest method to get the job done, even if it meant losing a few more lives.

What he would pay to have an Intelligence operative that was actually reliable. Although, what did he know? The hologram infront of him could be just as heartless as his enemies.

"I'm looking for a Republic Scientist by the name of Ar'man Shaw, he supposedly came through the market district searching for parts for a certain device.. I didn't know if Mama Keyla met the man or not."

[member="SARI"]

"I see... I'll check the customer logs. One moment."
SARI began searching as she spoke. A tiny holo-screen appeared in front of her as her hands began tapping and sliding on it. In a few seconds, The holo-screen vanished and she looked back up at him.​
"An Ar'man Shaw came in one week ago. He bought several power couplinks, two engines, and an array of metal coverings..."

Valkren's face showed signs of relief, exhaling, feeling like he's caught back onto the path of his target. The Sergeant would look back up to the beautiful blue, shimmering hologram. As he began to open his mouth to speak once again, he stopped. Two Engines? He knew he wasn't supposed to ask any more about the mission, he'd had to work with the details he was given, and that's what he was going to continue todo.

Still..He couldn't help but wonder what exactly the Doctor was building, or what his captors wanted with him. He didn't exactly know the clearance level the Doctor had either, so he couldn't have guessed what information could have been extracted from the poor man.

"Thank you..Did he happen to tell anyone where exactly he was going, Ma'am?" The soldier spoke with respect to the AI, attempting to make up for the previous assumption of her being a dancer.

[member="SARI"]

That was the first time anyone had ever referred to SARI as "Ma'am". It was strange, to say the least.​
"I'm afraid not. He just came in and purchased what he needed. He didn't specify where he was going, or what for."
As SARI finished speaking, Mama Keyla came back in to the front room.​
"Oh. I see SARI's handling things for you. If you need to look at our merchandise, I can take you to it."​

The Sergeant gave a polite bow as Mama Keyla came forward. "Thank you ma'am, but all my questions have been answered."

He'd offer a gentle smile, one not commonly seen on the face of a Republic soldier. "However, you could tell me abit more about you're beautiful friend here." He'd look to the shimmering hologram beside her. This was the only time in the history of the Calderon family in which a Calderon had felt guilty for talking trash to a version of an Intelligence. Usually drunken uncles had always been found in cantinas, bumbling jibberish toward dancer holograms and protocol droids.

Call it a family tradition..

[member="SARI"]

"Oh? You mean SARI?"​
Mama Keyla looked at SARI, a bit surprised.​
"You haven't been charming him, have you?"​
She asked jokingly. SARI laughed a little.​
"I don't think so, Mama K. He just seems to like talking with me."
Mama Keyla turned back to the man.​
"Well, why are you interested in her exactly?"​

Valkren chuckled, a smirk left on his face as he tipped his service cap after hearing 'charm.' The Sergeant could see the bond that had been built between the two interesting characters. "Well Ma'am, I just wanted to know if there is any possible way that'd you be willing to give up something of her nature." The commando knew that the shimmering beauty could make her own decision whether she wanted to stay or not, but he asked Mama Keyla as politely as possible.

Calderon shifted his gaze from the blue body, back to the shop owner, letting his eyes settle on her. He also knew that this was alot to ask, asking about the transfer of a self-aware intelligence, but he couldn't help it..The amount of good AI's could do for the Republic, and his own mission, was tremendous, and he wasn't about to let this opportunity slip through his fingers.

(Forgive me, short post as we're having trouble with our connection in the house.)

[member="SARI"]

((OOC: Did you see mine? You're fine. :p ))​
The two women looked slightly shocked when the man asked this question. Of all the things he could have wanted, he chose SARI? Mama Keyla looked to the small blue form on the counter.​
"Well, I can't say I'd be very happy if you took her, sir. She's been a great help to me, and an even better friend. But... I can't make this decision for her."​
She walked over to SARI and looked down at her lovingly.​
"We've had many good times, you and I. I'll cherish every one of them. But I know that you won't always want to be here. Even an A.I. as clever as you can't keep that kind of thing from me. Just know that whatever choice you make, you're always welcome here, SARI..."​
SARI looked at the man for a few moments. This was what she'd been waiting for for a long time now. A chance to finally travel the Galaxy. To discover new worlds and cultures, meeting all manners of life. As much as she would miss the shop and spending time with the old woman, SARI knew what her answer would be.​
The blue hologram turned back to Mama Keyla with a very sad smile.​
"I... I want to go with him, Mama K."
The old woman nodded, returning the bittersweet smile. Gently, Mama Keyla picked up SARI's palm-sized data core- the one she'd been found in- and placed it in the man's hands.​
"Now, you best take good care of my SARI, young man. Don't go selling her off to some junk collector or treating her like some mindless holo-program. You do that, and I will hunt you down. You hear me?"​
She said, looking almost on the verge of tears.​

The Sergeant felt a wave of grief settle over him as he witnessed the true bond that the shop owner had with SARI. Should he really of offered to take her away from this place? Was it really worth it? Where exactly was the AI expecting he would take her, because the first few stops after this desert planet weren't exactly top-listed on the hotel ratings..

Valkren looked down at his open palm at the small glowing blue light in the core. He'd close his hands around it and nod, looking back up to Mama Keyla, trying to offer some sort of compensation.

"Listen..If you ever need anything from the Republic, any assistance..Even if it's just some small time thugs, just look up Calderon in the books. I'll be on my way." He stated with a soft smile before turning and taking a few steps toward his speeder. As the commando towered over his ride, he'd open his hand back up, looking down into his palm curiously at the core.

[member="SARI"]

SARI was certain she'd visit Mama Keyla later on. For now though, she had a Galaxy to see. She reappeared to the man called Calderon.​
"So... Is it alright if I know your first name, too? And, where are we heading?"

The man blinked as his companion reappeared. "Valkren, Valkren Calderon..It's a pleasure." He'd smile once more, before throwing one leg over the speeder, straddling the seat.

"We're going to visit the Supreme Commander of the Republic, think you can handle that for the first date?" He'd say, lifting the goggles from around his neck and pulling them up to cover his eyes, then reaching to the handles to rev the speeder into ignition.

[member="SARI"]

"As long as they buy me dinner first,"
SARI replied jokingly. She new a lot about the Republic from vast holo-net files about it. However, she hadn't actually gotten to see the government and all it entailed up-close. This would be an excellent educational opportunity for her. She only hoped they'd let her access some of their information files. She always loved learning more.​

"I feel like you'd be an expensive date." He'd smirk, as the speeder took off, kicking up a small dust cloud as a trail. This was good, something about having this life with him..made him happy. He couldn't explain it, it was just something different. Maybe he could explain it more once they had gotten back to the ship.

Just maybe she was the answer to her problems somehow, they'd just have to see if that was true. These thoughts raced through his mind just as his many other thoughts do, at the same time, they were reaching the spaceport.

[member="SARI"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom