Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wahine Hyperdrive Mod

IGBC

I
[SIZE=9pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=9pt]Restricted Missions:[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=9pt]Primary Source:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Design: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]InterGalactic Banking Clan[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Manufacturer:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] InterGalactic Banking Clan[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Model:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Wahine Hyperdrive Mod[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Affiliation:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Closed Market[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Modularity:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Programming can be altered.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Production: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Minor[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Material: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]sleg ultracapacitors[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt], common materials[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Strengths[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Allows craft to bypass many kinds of interdiction schemes, from gravity mines to hyperspatial barriers . [/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=9pt]Weaknesses[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]After use of the Wahine Mod for a jump, the host vehicle’s hyperdrive (including any backup drives) is unusable for at least 10 minutes. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]Travel is slow with the Wahine mod through realspace, only a glacial 10c, making it less than ideal for long-range travel and more suitable as an emergency escape tool. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]The host vehicle creates a large gravitic disturbance that can be easily detected by even the most basic mass detectors.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]The sleg ultracapacitor banks can explode when directly struck by energy or overloaded, possibly leading to a deadly chain reaction of destruction within the host vehicle. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=9pt]The Wahine Mod can only be used with crafts with a class 1.0 hyperdrive at a minimum. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]The Wahine Hyperdrive Mod is a modular aftermarket kit designed as a countermeasure to interdiction, allowing unimpeded FTL travel through realspace by making a creative use of hyperdrive mechanics.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]The kit consists of a dedicated control console with special management software for the system, and banks of sleg ultracapacitors. Both components are connected to the primary hyperdrive housing with universal adapters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]For operation, the user activates "Wahine" mode. A signal is issued to the console to reconfigure hyperdrive operation while an astrogation solution is plotted. Once activated, the modded hyperdrive goes through all the usual steps to generate powerful spatial ripples capable of propelling the vehicle straight into hyperspace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]However, in Wahine mode, the hyperdrive only creates ripples just powerful enough to send the host vehicle skimming along the barrier separating hyperspace and realspace near lightspeed (.99c). Coupled with the ripple effect folding space into wrinkles (much like a dimensional drive), the vehicle travels through the compressed space just about as quickly as a starship traversing through hyperspace at 10c. As the host vehicle is still moving through realspace, the craft remains unaffected by interdiction schemes designed to pull craft out of hyperspace or damage them during hyperspace transit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To maintain speed and course, the hyperdrive periodically emits pulses of energy, recycled from the initial jump sequence by the sleg ultracapacitors, to create small ripples to continue propelling the host vehicle forward and to compress space. Braking measures are also active to prevent the vehicle from accidentally entering hyperspace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]At any time, users may opt to switch off the limit brakes to shift into hyperspace for normal transit. Though obviously this isn't recommended until the vehicle is clear of the threat of interdiction.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Wahine mode places heavy strain in the host vehicle's hyperdrive as it's been reconfigured to remain active in propulsion. Furthermore, there's great turbulence created around the vehicle as it rides the ripples through real space, stressing its relativistic shields and null quantum field generators. After a partial or full jump in Wahine mode, the host vehicle's primary hyperdrive requires at least 10 minutes to cool down between uses. Because of said stresses only high-grade hyperdrives (at least class 1.0) can handle it.[/SIZE]

IGBC

I
[member="Nadja Keto"] Sorry, that was a holdover from my initial draft when I had some different mechanics in mind, but couldn't find any sources to support the concept. I can clean up the language there and in other sections of the description.

In its current form, the way the mod works is that it regulates the hyperdrive so that the vehicle is propelled just under lightspeed and the threshold needed to enter hyperspace. The FTL element comes in from the way space around the vehicle is compressed as ripples or wrinkles are created, like with a dimensional drive.

IGBC said:
[member="Nadja Keto"] Sorry, that was a holdover from my initial draft when I had some different mechanics in mind, but couldn't find any sources to support the concept. I can clean up the language there and in other sections of the description.

In its current form, the way the mod works is that it regulates the hyperdrive so that the vehicle is propelled just under lightspeed and the threshold needed to enter hyperspace. The FTL element comes in from the way space around the vehicle is compressed as ripples or wrinkles are created, like with a dimensional drive.
There is no barrier that separates realspace and hyperspace, that is not something canon or even legends has implied to exist.

IGBC said:
However, in surfer mode, the hyperdrive only creates ripples just powerful enough to send the host vehicle skimming along the barrier separating hyperspace and realspace near lightspeed (.99c) Travel is very slow with the Wahine mod through realspace, akin to a class 10 hyperdrive.
A class 10 hyperdrive is still many times the speed of light. If a class 1 hyperdrive is thousands of times the speed of light, and a class 10 hyperdrive is only takes 10 times longer to reach an intended destination when compared to a class 1 hyperdrive, then a class 10 hyperdrive is, by logic, still hundreds of times faster than the speed of light.
898a201586dfaaef2cb50a735fee5b15.png

If you wish to utilize speeds comparable to those reached in hyperspace, you must be traveling in hyperspace. To put it plainly, your submission will not be approved if you're moving at speeds only possible in hyperspace while in realspace.

IGBC

I
[member="Nadja Keto"]

Nadja Keto said:
There is no barrier that separates realspace and hyperspace, that is not something canon or even legends has implied to exist.
Hyperspace is a distinct plane of existence from realspace, where certain conditions must be met to pass in and out of the dimension. That what's what I meant by a barrier.

From the hyperspace wiki article.

nqg8Zvl.png

q3kEg3k.png

The issue for me wasn't proving that there is some kind of clear boundary between realspace and hyperspace/other dimensions that prevents objects from easily passing into one or the other (there is), but in finding evidence to support the idea of some kind of middleground between realspace and hyperspace that wasn't affected by gravitic based interdictors, which would defeat the whole point of the sub.

Anyway, I dropped the original concept, and I stated earlier that I would make edits on the parts of the description mentioning barriers.

Nadja Keto said:
If you wish to utilize speeds comparable to those reached in hyperspace, you must be traveling in hyperspace. To put it plainly, your submission will not be approved if you're moving at speeds only possible in hyperspace while in realspace.
That's fair. This mod really isn't for sustained transit, but for short range emergency jumps. Would 10x lightspeed be acceptable to you?

IGBC

I
[member="Nadja Keto"] For effective range, at max I'm envisioning traversing a system (~150AU) within the span of about 15-20 minutes with the Wahine method.

[member="IGBC"]
So fifteen to twenty minutes, ten times the speed of light, which would net roughly the length of a solar system comparable to ours.

The issue here, though, is you won't be able to really "pilot" the ship at this point, you're moving so quickly that you'd be space dust the moment you make even the slightest collision with something in space, something like what was seen in the Last Jedi but a far larger scale (vaporizing the surface of planet Earth all the way down to the mantle, for instance).

How is this going to reconcile the issue of turning this into a planet-killing weapon, in the instance that a military or faction or anyone at all decided to use it as such? We have a strict no tolerance for superweapons that aren't approved by staff for events rule, for instance. We also have a rule against destroying celestial bodies.
6. You may not destroy a celestial body (sun, planet, moon, etc.) in the SWRP Chaos Galaxy without prior permission from the SWRP Chaos Board Owner.

7. Superweapons are restricted to Staff-Approved Events and must be destroyed prior to the end of the event.
What keeps this from being used as such?

IGBC

I
[member="Nadja Keto"]

IGBC said:
For operation, the user activates "surfer" mode. A signal is issued to the console to reconfigure hyperdrive operation while an astrogation solution is plotted.
You're still plotting coordinates as you would with a normal hyperspace jump, unless the user has some precognitive abilities that allows for real-time astrogation. So it's still guided flight.

I thought that hyperspace ramming was already banned because of the destructive output you could achieve, even with a small starfighter. If not banned, then definitely frowned upon among fleeters as a cheap tactic even if technically possible. It's the same deal using a hyperdrive with the Wahine mod attached.

An issue I am presented with by this technology is effectively blanket immunity from interdiction fields. There are no canon examples of this technology existing, nor of such being capable of existing. In situations such as this, where technology goes beyond the scope of Star Wars canon, and the technology for which we have in real life, I have to base a judgement on the standard that it sets going forward. In that regard, I have to ask the following questions to myself:
  1. Does this provide an individual or group of individuals an arguably excessive advantage over others?
  2. Does this new technology break the foundations of Star Wars canon by dictating how this universe should/does function?
  3. What is the overall potential for abuse in practical use?
  4. Does this provide some means to achieve invulnerability/immunity to an entire category of technology?
When the vast majority of those questions are applicable to a submission, I have to make a calculated decision on whether or not the technology being introduced, whether intended or not, is likely to be broken.

In the case of this submission, I am convinced that this technology provides an arguably excessive advantage over others by allowing blanket immunity from interdiction fields. It interprets a means of hyperspace transit through its entry, exit, and traverse. The only purpose for this technology to exist, based on what I've read, is to escape interdiction. That being said, the weaknesses of this submission do not satisfy the balance needed to compensate for that incredible advantage, nor am I convinced that a middle ground is attainable in this instance.

The singular concession I will make to this is that interdiction fields state to disable hyperspace transit in most starships, but it does not in fact state all starships. If you are capable of developing a series of weaknesses that are substantial, I would be willing to entertain the idea of a unique drive mod, however I will absolutely not grant anything higher than unique to technology of this kind.

[member="IGBC"] | [member="Nadja Keto"]

IGBC

I
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie Pyne said:
There are no canon examples of this technology [SIZE=11pt]existing[/SIZE], nor of such being capable of existing.
The sub is based off [SIZE=11pt]well established[/SIZE] hyperdrive mechanics. That is, using a high energy pulse to create a spatial distortion (“ripples”, maybe a rubber banding effect) that accelerates a craft fast enough to enter hyperspace. The Wahine mod works off these same mechanics, except by using a weaker pulse to accelerate the craft under lightspeed (the threshold between realspace and hyperspace). This is a fairly simple adjustment that can be achieved with virtually any hyperdrive.

The only questionable element to me is the space folding bit to skirt around realspace speed limitations, which is why I submitted the mod to the factory for review. That said, I feel this element is supported by canon with the existence of the
dimensional drive, and by the way that a hyperdrive creates spatial distortions during the initial jump sequence. Looking at it another way, the mod is operating the hyperdrive like dimensional drive.

Jamie Pyne said:
In the case of this submission, I am convinced that this technology provides an arguably excessive advantage over others by allowing blanket immunity from interdiction fields. It interprets a means of hyperspace transit through its entry, exit, and traverse. The only purpose for this technology to exist, based on what I've read, is to escape interdiction. That being said, the weaknesses of this submission do not satisfy the balance needed to compensate for that incredible advantage, nor am I convinced that a middle ground is attainable in this instance.
This submission does not allow blanket immunity from interdiction. As the craft is only moving at 10c with the mod, it is only effective against what I consider to be “tactical” interdiction. That is, at [SIZE=11pt]battlefield[/SIZE] or orbital range. So tech like mass shadows mines or your standard interdictor, which are ubiquitous to even minor factions, companies, and individuals.

As for more strategic interdiction platforms on a system or sector scale, the mod isn’t all that helpful as
[SIZE=11pt]a escape[/SIZE] mechanism. In its current form, it would take a craft 15-20 minutes to exit a system before normal hyperdrive use would be possible. A crafty commander could overlay multiple system-wide interdictors, which would bump this travel time to well past an hour.

It’s not clear on how large a sector is, but I’m going to say that it would probably take years or decades to cross one at 10c. At best, a user can escape the immediate area of battle, but then they’re on a 10 minute cooldown for their hyperdrive with the device, making them vulnerable to an enemy that can drop in a HIMS enabled craft from out of sector on top of them (which can be easily produced at mass production).

This mod also doesn’t protect a craft against physical obstructions. So, someone could go with the low tech but equally effective method of tossing out [SIZE=11pt]an[/SIZE] asteroid field or some kind of debris, either in the path of the user, or around their own formation to protect themselves from being hit by close range flanking attacks. Just poking through the Factory for a couple minutes, I found this ion mine sub to be another excellent example of obstruction.

In short, there are actually a lot of ways that submission can be countered, which is made to respond to a very specific kind of interdiction. I can edit the sub to make it clear that you’re not getting out of all forms of
[SIZE=11pt]interdiction,[/SIZE] because that was not my intent.

I hope this clarification allays your concerns, and I can retool the weaknesses to make travel time slower, maybe like 75AU per hour, which would translate to about two hours travel time crossing one side of a system to another. This makes the craft slow enough that it can easily be intercepted by a HIMS enabled craft, which could deploy traps along its trajectory.

[member="IGBC"]

IGBC said:
The sub is based off well established hyperdrive mechanics.
You are merging the technologies of Dimensional Drives and Hyperdrives into a single entity it would seem. That is not the same as a canon example, which again, there are none to support this, making it Chaos Canon unless you can provide a source drive, ship, or modification that specifically states to do both.

Judging by your wording is it correct to assume that this ship is utilizing primarily the dimensional drive method of transit to enter FTL speed, though not hyperspace, to achieve travel speeds greater than typically available to standard realspace ships in order to escape interdiction fields that would otherwise prevent hyperspace jumps in the vicinty? Thus, this is essentially a modified speed boost to escape the interdiction field? Or is this used for ships already in hyperspace, to prevent being pulled out of FTL travel due to interdiction in the path of travel? Your wording reads very vague with regard to that.

Regardless, I am going to ask that the weaknesses state that in order to utilize this drive a rating of very high must be applied to any ship this is installed on, and that the production be lowered to Semi-Unique.

IGBC

I
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

​I didn't notice that this had been responded to until now. I'll work on the edits to clean up the sub and then get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom