Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Vult- Tel'erran wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
fantasy-original-art-font-b-artistic-b-font-artwork-font-b-wolf-b-font-font-b.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]Name:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Vult[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Designation:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Semi-sentient[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Homeworld: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Tel’erra[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Language:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] None[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Average height of adults:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] 1.8-2 meters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Skin color:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Pale or gray when not covered in fur[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Hair color: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]White, gray, brown, tan, black, combination of other colors[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Breathes:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Type 1 atmosphere[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Strengths:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]+/-Intelligence- Vult are intelligent creatures capable of complex thoughts and emotions. They are able to learn and understand the languages of sentient races, even if they lack the vocal ability to speak it. This allows for them to be able to complete complex commands.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]+/-Physically powerful- Vult poses great muscle capacity. This gives them levels of strength 2-2.5x that of humans. Their speed is 2.5x that of humans. And their stamina levels are 2.5x that of humans. This also leads to a natural toughness and significant resilience to blunt trauma due to their muscle strength.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]+/-Heightened Senses- Vult have heightened senses, which while normally considered a strength also works against them. They are able to see in the dark. Their sense of hearing and smell is many times better than that of humans. They are capable of hearing octaves that humans can not, and able to smell scents that humans are un able to pick up.This advantage comes with its own disadvantages however . Bright lights can blind them more easily and leave them with weakened vision for a time. Strong scents and loud sounds can overwhelm them and leave them in a disoriented and incapasitated state.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]-/-Social Animal- Vult are much like the Tel’varn people that they share their planet with. They are dependent on having a social system in place with a clear hierarchy to follow. When one does not exist or they are alone, paranoid behavior and extreme anxiety sets in and can lead to mental break down if left in this state long enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]-/-Lack of Opposable Thumbs- Vult lack opposable thumbs which gives them difficulty in the use of tools, and an inability to create technology. This inability makes it impossible for the Vult to create or use most tools or forms of technology created by sentient beings. This also leaves them completely reliant on their physical aspects when it comes to defending themselves. This also means that when it comes to hunting and combat the Vult naturally lack any kind of protection that isn't their natural form. They are also reliant on melee combat so ranged weapons such as rifles and crossbows are effect at dealing with them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Distinctions:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Large wolf like creatures with features the same as wolves. Eyes can be either yellow or blue.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Average Lifespan:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] 25-30 years[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Races:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Highland Vult- Live in the mountain regions of northern Tel’erra. Their fur tends towards white and gray coloring. Their eye shades tend to be blue more often than yellow. Their fur is thicker and paws larger to handle the colder weather and snow of the mountains.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Plains Vult- Live in the praire regions of central Tel’erra. Their fur tends towards tan and brown coloring. Their eye shades tend to be yellow more often than blue. Their fur is sleeker and shorter to allow for them to handle the hotter, windier weather of the plains.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Estimated Population: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Only found on Tel’erra[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Diet:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Mainly meats but capable of surviving for short periods of time on grains, tubers, and fruits[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Communication:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Communicate through subtle body motions, vocal calls such as growls and howling, and scents[/SIZE]
551671-bigthumbnail.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]Culture: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]The Vult are important to the Tel’varn people who live on Tel’erra in their culture. Be they tamed or wild, the Vult are symbols of adaptability and prosperity. They are honored by hunters as well and are often tamed to be companions for Tel’varn huntsmen and huntswomen. They are treated with respect by all Tel’varn and tamed ones tend to be used for multiple purposes other than hunting ranging from guarding property and people to ridden as mounts to companions for individuals and families alike.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Vult in the wild run in packs following the lead of a pair of alphas. This pack culture leads them to a respect for a hierarchy. They will work together to accomplish tasks. They will be hostile to outside Vult coming into their territory, but it is not uncommon for outsiders to become integrated into a new pack if they are submissive. Wild Vult also have a respect for the Tel’varn and will avoid hostile actions towards them unless they are attacked first. There are even reports of them aiding Tel’varn in whatever task is being performed at the time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Technology level: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]N/A; lack ability to craft tools.[/SIZE]

333399-bigthumbnail.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]General behavior:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] The Vult are curious by nature and will inspect anything that catches their interest. They are highly observant and have been known to disable traps made by Tel’varn after watching them being put together once. They are as sociable as the local Tel’varn and naturally form packs or pairs. This leads them to being territorial as they hunt for food. They are mostly nocturnal, so will be more active at night. They are known for patience in both the hunt and outside of it, being willing to wait for hours for a single oppertunity to arise.[/SIZE]

HTB1pEUyIXXXXXc3XFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]History:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] Vult are now how they have been for much of their history. They naturally developed on the the planet of Tel’erra to be one of the top and most common predators. They eventually became the most intelligent species on the planet, and gained semi-sentience. Their development to true sentience was halted by their lack of opposable thumbs. The cause of this being that while they had become aware of their own existence and the existence of other beings, their inability to forge tools to make their lives easier means they have not had the required idle time to be able to ponder upon the greater mysteries of life. Their reliance on packs for survival began to affect their psychology during this period as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The Vult’s history changed dramatically when the colonists crashed onto the planet and began to settle it as their own. This was the Vult’s first experience with a sentient race, and they began to observe them from a distance. Eventually they began to feel a connection to these outsiders and their eventual hybridization into the Tel’varn. This connection was eventually formed into a bond between the two species as they realized how much easier life was for when they worked together. This bond manifested in some of the wild Vult in the form of being tamed by the Tel’varn. Even for the wild Vult, their survival and the survival of the Tel’varn has become connected to each other as the Tel’varn provide a form of protection from the native Wyrra which is the only species that is both able to and willing to prey on the Vult. It is believed that given more time, the Vult will gain true sentience eventually thanks to the Tel'varn having provided them with enough food and idle time to mentally develop to that point.[/SIZE]

The Vult were effected by the Fraying Weave in much the same ways as their Tel'varn neighbors did. The unusual weather parts effected their breeding cycles and their hunting patterns. The wild Vult were forced to either adapt to these weather changes or die. Populations of Vult also disappeared as well, which effected the total population of the species on the planet along with the chaotic weather patterns. The Vult are cautious of sudden storms and hostile weather because of this, even with the end of the event having already taken place.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Notable Player-Characters:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] N/A[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6667px]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] To provide a predatory animal to the planet of Tel’erra as well as a species to be a natural companion that both reflects and compliments the Tel’varn.[/SIZE]

Gray Raxis said:
+/-Physically powerful- Vult poses great muscle capacity. This allows for them to be able to strike most standard metal armors hard enough to dent them. Their bite force is also able to crush metal as well. This also leads to be able to survive being hit by blunt trauma that would kill most other creatures.

So this is a pretty potent strength that isn't really balanced out by the weaknesses. One weakness is entirely social and the other is negligible in terms of impact on the species, given their size and power. So I'll need actual counter balance weaknesses that affect their use in rp, particularly in PvP.

Gray Raxis said:
They are capable of hearing octives that humans can not

Think you meant octave here :)

Gray Raxis said:
Their development to true sentience was halted by their lack of opposable thumbs

Gonna have to explain this one to me. I'm not going to search for canon species but I'm sure I could find a few that lack opposable thumbs that are truly sentient (I don't think thumbs would halt progression to sentience, which is more a philosophical state of being than a physicality).

-How did the fraying weave impact these guys? Anything significant, particularly for the specimens that remained untamed? With the way weather shifted, I would assume something might have taken place (convergence of biomes perhaps).

[member="Reverance"]

Okay made some changes and I will just address them in the order you did:

1) Alright I added some modifiers to it to address the actual differences between them and humans. I also added some more to the weakness of the lack of opposable thumbs so address how it would be a weakness for them in hunting and combat situations. If i need to changes some of the numbers around please let me know.

2) Words are hard. X.X Anyways fixed the spelling.

3) I added more detail to their history to address both of those questions. If it still doesn't make sense please let me know.

[member="Reverance"]

It would be about .75 to .8 of that of humans and Tel'varn. They are much more intelligent than other creatures, but not to the point of having it on par with a sentient creature such as humans would have.

[member="Gray Raxis"]

With that particular strength whittled down, particularly without the wording entailing armor, I'm inclined to see this as almost balanced. It should be noted though that the provided strength and numeration is relative to the average human, which more often than not you wont be facing in an rp setting on this site. Keep that in mind as at the end of the day, numbers will only get you so far and it will invariably come down to the writing.

I'll need only one more edit and we can move this along:

Gray Raxis said:
This also leads to be able to survive being hit by blunt trauma that would kill most other creatures

I'd like for this to be edited to entail their resistance to blunt trauma without comparing it to other species. For instance: "This also leads a significant increase in ability to survive blunt trauma." I'm hesitant to improve something that can, in some cases, be seen as a blank check for resilience. I.e. there are a lot of creatures out there with substantial ability to survive blunt trauma but are also balanced out with significant weaknesses, such as vonduun and their deathly allergy to a particular pollen. As of right now, your beastie is comparable to those without a proper counter weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom