Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VT-Ion Disruptor Charge

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
8UNnzw1.png

KLfLXJf.png
Image Source: Here
Intent: To create a weapon that Special Operations units can use to take out starships
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Vanir Technologies
Model: VT-Ion Disruptor Charge
Affiliation: Closed-Market
Modularity: No
Production: Limired
Material: Durasteel, Electrum, Aurodium
Diameter: 18.5cm
Weight: .8kg
Description:
Throughout history there have been weapons that created so much destruction and discord that they were outright banned in many systems and made completely illegal by most galactic governments. One of these weapons was the disruptor.

Disruptors are powerful weapons that were originally developed as blasters with more of a punch. Vanir Technologies, as well as several other corporations have long since developed their own Disruptors with Vanir having created and manufactured the Needle some time ago as well as the far more powerful Disruptor Missile. These weapons, although powerful, are not the very tip of the family of disruptors. That crown belongs to a device known as the T-7 Ion Disruptor. These weapons were so powerful, and so strong that they were capable of taking down entire starships with a single blast, they were also used in a horrifying events of the genocide of the Lasat Species.

These weapons were so strong that by the time of the gulag plague most, if not all of them had been destroyed.

The understatement of these weapons however were their use for good. The T-7 could effectively turn a small fighting force into a much bigger threat. With a single T-7 Ion disruptor a squad of four men essentially became a threat to an entire armored division.

This effective 'upgrade' in fighting capability made the use of an ion disruptor incredibly appealing to entities all across the galaxy, including Saeva Incorporated. Saeva, being the military arm of Vanir Technologies as always was the driving force behind the development of what would be the Ion Disruptor Charge.

As earlier stated the technology of the T-7, although not completely lost, had become rare and far in between. Vanir Technologies as such began to work on it's own replicant from scratch. Having already been experienced in the creation and research of Disruptor technology through the Needle Disruptor and the Disruptor Missile Vanir was already a step ahead. Through several months of research and technological drive Vanir eventually managed to replicate the technological function of the T-7, with a rather large detrimental twist. Unlike the creators of the T-7 the people at Vanir were unable to recreate the field that maintained the blast of the T-7 Disruptor rifle. This essentially meant that the technology had to be placed into charges, not having the capability of firing at range.

Though this detriment is a major one, the technology and effect of the Ion Disurptor Charge is still nothing to balk at. The weapons effectiveness is nearly exactly the same as that of the T-7 Rifle, able to deal a massive amount of damage with only a single charge. Of course, it is not a weapon of mass destruction, a single charge will not take down a star destroyer. Instead it is far more scaled.

A single Ion Disruptor Charge placed on an X-wing or a similarly sized vehicle will permanently disable it, a corvette might require two or three, and larger vessels such as Star Destroyers would require even more depending on the placement of the charge. These weapons were designed to disable starships on a scale, allowing small strike teams to take down targets without much issue. Of course, being based on the original design of the T-7 The IDC is also capable of doing...intense damage to organics, though getting the charge to stay in place would be rather difficult.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Alric Kuhn said:
will permanently disable it

I haven't seen the Rebels episode in question. Does it contain any reason to suppose that ion disruptors have a more permanent disabling power than standard ion weapons?

Alric Kuhn said:
The IDC is also capable of doing...intense damage to organics, though getting the charge to stay in place would be rather difficult.
You've given a sense of scale for the disabling effect, which wouldn't necessarily have the same reach or scale as the physical damage involved. You'll need quite a bit more material here on blast radius, effects on starships' crews versus people out in the open, etc. Your customers need to know what this charge's detonation actually does; without specifics, it's carte blanche, especially because an ion disruptor does 2-3 different things simultaneously.

Alric Kuhn said:
With a single T-7 Ion disruptor a squad of four men essentially became a threat to an entire armored division.
Is this from canon?

Alric Kuhn said:
a corvette might require two or three, and larger vessels such as Star Destroyers would require even more depending on the placement of the charge.
I'm not comfortable with a couple of Frisbees permanently scuttling a capital ship. We're talking exponential growth here.

Alric Kuhn said:
These weapons were designed to disable starships on a scale, allowing small strike teams to take down targets without much issue.
So the team just sidles up to a ship, slaps these on like limpet mines, and the ship is toast regardless of armor? Or do these need to be placed inside the ship's armor, or at critical locations?

Also, the only drawback, weakness, or limitation I'm seeing is 'it could be worse; it could be a gun.' If I've missed any actual limitation or weakness in here, let me know, and then add a couple.

Alric Kuhn said:
Development Thread: N/A
Might as well get started on a new thread now. Thread length will depend on the edits I've just mentioned, but in any form, you're probably looking at minimum 20.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I just drew everything from the canon Wiki description as well as the episode the weapon was actually featured in and what the characters described there. Everything I committed here is what is stated in the episode, including the disabling of entire starships and such.

I thought this would be neat, but to be honest with you I'm far too lazy to make all the edits and then do a dev thread when I can just pluck the same effect from canon and use it instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom