Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Volunteer Shift

Amani smiled assuringly, "Great! Join me, then," She made a spot for Thelma to step in and reached out her hand once more.

"Like with many other powers, you must focus. Healing requires a great deal of mindfulness, inner peace, to learn. But as you get the hang of it, application will become a bit more second nature." She shut her eyes, going through the motions herself.

"Reach out. Through their pain. Let the Force coalesce, become an extension of yourself. Your will. Your desire to help," Amani peeked open an eye at Thelma, before adding something of a disclaimer, "Healing can be quite draining to the user, depending on experience, and the injury. In a sense, you are sacrificing some of your own energy for that of another."

Ironically vampiric. But said energy was replenishable, if not overextended. Otherwise, Jedi healers would have tragically short lifespans, sapping away their own existence with each use, "Just maintain that mindfulness, and I'll be here too to lighten the burden."

Thelma nodded along with the impromptu lesson, her hands fidgeting. “Right. Yeah, I remember that.” Her father had explained it in a similar way, as expelling a tiny amount of the energy she had just consumed in order to heal the wounds she had created.

There was just one problem. Thelma hadn’t fed from anyone in a while. She had been subsisting on regular food, which kept her alive, but nearly always on the verge of starvation. But she had agreed to try, and now she couldn’t exactly back out without looking suspicious, so…

While Amani was there to share the load, Thelma was clearly struggling. This could be easily misinterpreted as it merely being her first time attempting this level of healing, but as she grew pale and wobbly with strain, it was clear the process was weakening her. Eventually she had no choice but to stop, staggering over to the nearest chair and sinking down into it, breathing hard.

"Did... did it work?" she asked.

Together they applied the raw energies of the Force, accelerating the healing process, mending torn flesh in mere moments. Even splitting attention between Thelma and the patient, Amani had little trouble converting her strength into healing.

Thelma, on the other hand, was noticeably weakening. Given the circumstances, it seemed like even more of a reaction than Amani would have anticipated for a novice healer. She stood up and helped the girl take a seat, pulling the chair closer and guiding her in, "Woah, hey, take it easy."

The healer glanced back at the patient, whose face now looked none worse for wear, "...Yeah," She returned her focus to the student, "You okay? That took a lot out of you."

I’m okay,” Thelma replied, though the gray pallor of her skin suggested otherwise. “I’m just not used to it. I’ve never… tried so hard to do so much before…

Slowly but surely, she managed to get on her feet again. She looked smaller, somehow. Almost shriveled.

There’s more to do,” she continued, and there was perhaps just the faintest hint of dread in her voice at the thought. “What next?

Amani rested a hand on the girl's shoulder, "Nuh uh," She gently pushed her back down into the chair, "I will handle it. You're in no condition." With a nod of her head, she ushered the medical droid back over to hold the scanner, effectively taking Thelma's role.

"That did a number on you. More than it should have, really," Amani peered at the girl closely, as if trying to discern some hidden information. But a look alone was not enough. She turned around and began working on the man's arm, "Would you mind staying here after we're done? I'd like to run some tests. Make sure there's nothing that's cause for concern after what happened to you." It was phrased politely, but she was very much intent on having Thelma remain. Amani couldn't in good conscience let her go wandering off after that without at least a check up.

Last edited:
That’s not really necessary…” Thelma protested lamely. Would a medical examination reveal anything that might put her in danger? She wasn’t sure. It probably wasn’t a good idea to risk it.

But she was still physically weakened, and Amani didn’t seem likely to take no for an answer, no matter how politely she had phrased her question. Hearing the whirring of the medical scanner, Thelma braced herself. If worse came to worst, well, she could always rejuvenate herself by consuming Amani’s memories of ever having met Thelma in the first place…

Amani shot Thelma a doubtful expression, before turning back to help her current patient, "I beg to differ. You nearly toppled over trying to use that power. That's never happened before?"

Thelma said she'd only made minimal use of it before, but given how she'd reacted to this, Amani was surprised this wasn't a more expected response from the padawan. Not one she voiced anyway.

Amani turned around again, her brow only raising higher in doubt. She didn't seem quite convinced, "What happened there was a bit more than 'getting tired'. Better to make sure nothing's wrong, hm?"

The healer finished removing the remaining shrapnel, and quickly healed the man's arm with seemingly minimal effort, "Good as new." She turned to the medical droid, "Could you finish up here?"

The droid nodded, "Of course, Chief Healer."

"Thank you," Amanai moved for the door and beckoned for the padawan to come with her into a separate room, "Follow me, Thelma. Shouldn't take long."

Thelma gulped, but didn’t say anything as Amani finished up with the patient and left him in the care of a medical droid. Her mind was still racing, trying to think of some excuse that would get her out of there without having to be examined at all, but she was coming up empty.

Maybe it would be okay. Psy-Pire organs weren’t all that different from whatever baseline species they belonged to. And it wasn’t like she was undead, with all the cessation of normal bodily functions that entailed.

If it wasn’t okay, she’d just have to deal with it.

She followed Amani into a different room, waiting to be examined.

Amani led her into a small room, and tapped the exam table for Thelma to hop onto. She collected a few basic check up tools, as well as her datapad, "Let me just pull up your file real quick…" The one labeled 'Thelma Goth' was soon found among a list of others, and she gave it a quick run through for any information that might point her in the right direction.

"Try not to blink for me," Amani then multitasked by abruptly pulled up a light to flash into Thelma's face, checking her eyes for a proper reaction, "So that specifically has never been something you've experienced before, has it?" She asked again, clearly not settling for the 'low blood sugar' theory.

Last edited:
Thelma hopped up on the exam table, sitting with her hands in her lap. Her file listed her species simply as “Near-Human” with no further details. Her medical history was noticeably blank, featuring no past ailments of any kind. Or at least none that had been documented.

A purplish glow at the center of her eyes became more visible as her pupils dilated. By now Thelma was not feeling well at all. Her head was beginning to hurt, and she felt a bit nauseous. She endeavored to hide her discomfort, controlling the urge to swing her legs or otherwise fidget, as well as keeping her eyes open and staying alert. She was clinging to any threads of control she could.

N-no,” she stammered. “I’m just hungry. I haven’t eaten anything in a while. Isn’t that how energy works? You get energy from food, like fuel, and after you run out of that energy you have to eat more…

Near-Human, "Hm." Amani noted the lack of distinction. Occasionally certain near-human species may have more adverse reactions to different stimuli, but with none that specifically fit this criteria (at least none that she was aware of), it wasn't her first hypothesis as to the cause of Thelma's plight. But at the same time, her latest bill of health was pretty much spotless. The mirialan furrowed her brow.

"A bit of an oversimplification, but yes," She put away the light, then said a bit more bluntly, "What's wrong? You seem very…" Amani gestured vaguely with her hands, "...On edge. Patient confidentiality is still a thing for Jedi, y'know. You can tell me if something's going on." For what should be a simple check up, Thelma was pushing a bit hard for the same theory Amani had already dismissed. Perhaps it was a simple lack of energy, as unlikely as that seemed, but as a medical professional she needed to be certain to rule the other possibilities out first.

She lifted the light again, "Can you open your mouth for me?"

I’m fine,” Thelma insisted. “I just need a snack break.

The fact that she was actually telling the truth lent a bit more credibility to her claim, although to Amani it probably still sounded far-fetched.

"Patient confidentiality is still a thing for Jedi, y'know. You can tell me if something's going on."

No, I most definitely cannot, Thelma thought, but didn’t say. She stayed quiet, staring down at her lap.

At the doctor’s request, she opened her mouth. Her fangs had not descended, so they looked normal compared to her other teeth (apart from being a little bit sharper than the rest, that is). On the other hand, her two canines had a visible silvery-metallic shine to them, a trait unique to Psy-Pires. To someone who was unaware of the significance of this marker, it could’ve just passed for implants or a cosmetic alteration. No doubt kids came to the Jedi Order with all kinds of sketchy dental work.

"Hmmm…"

The case was proving to be a bit bothersome to Amani. With no decisive evidence as to the cause of such a drastic reaction, she was running out of possibilities. She looked down Thelma's throat, and gave her teeth a quick once-over, noting the apparent shine on her canines, "What're these? Dental work?" It didn't really strike her as connected to the reaction in any way, but she mentioned it all the same.

Since Amani was still peering into her open mouth like an absent-minded dentist, Thelma's answer was delayed.

"That's just the way my teeth are," she replied, not trusting her ability to lie under such stress and the doctor's scrutiny. What she couldn’t control was the fact that she was beginning to look worse—starvation in Psy-Pires made them appear to age rapidly. She didn’t quite look old yet, but she was withering, her skin pale and drawn under the lights.

May I use the ‘fresher?” she asked, keeping her head down and using her long hair like a curtain. There was a vending machine at the end of the hall. If she could reach it, she could stave off her hunger long enough to get through this…

Amani blinked, "They… are?" That certainly made her curious. Even if unrelated to the issue of her reaction, it was not a physiological detail she was familiar with in any species.

But at this point she couldn't really keep this girl imprisoned without more solid evidence. Amani didn't quite but that Thelma was completely fine, but she resigned with a sigh, "…Sure. Yeah." She waved her hand as if to say 'why not', clicking off her flashlight, "I'll be here."

"Yes. I was born with them. My parents had them, too." And I may wind up sinking them into your neck if you don't let me go.

Thankfully, Amani released her. Thelma hopped down from the exam table and made a beeline down the hall. She turned a corner and waited for about a minute, checking to see if the Chief Healer would follow her. When she was satisfied that Amani had stayed in the room, as agreed, she went to the vending machine, punched in her credits, and devoured the snack it spit out. The nutrition it provided was meager, and she still felt hollow as an empty vessel after consuming it, but at least she was no longer sickly in appearance.

After discarding the evidence, Thelma returned to the room where Amani was waiting and stood demurely in the doorway. "Was there anything else?" she asked.

Amani leaned against the counter, furrowing her brow in thought as Thelma walked out the door. She didn't attempt to spy, too perplexed by the series of events that had unfolded to even consider. Perhaps some future research was in order.

But for now, the healer simply waited, and when Thelma came back, still clearly eager to leave, Amani shrugged, "I guess not. But let me know if you experience any similar symptoms in the future." At that point it couldn't be ignored further, in her mind. In the same vein, she had one other thing to add before the girl left.

"And Thelma," Amani pushed off the counter, wringing her hands, "Given what I saw, I… think it's best if you avoid the healing arts going forward. For your well-being." Not everyone was cut out for it. And considering how much that little bit had drained Thelma, it wasn't something she could promote in good conscience, "There's plenty of different paths out there for a Jedi. I'd suggest looking into them. You've still got lots of time to explore."

But—” Thelma broke off mid-protest. She didn’t really have a good argument against Amani. In her current state, forced into a starvation diet to avoid detection, there was no way she could do this healing gig. Not unless she started eating people’s memories regularly, and that would cause more problems for her than it solved.

The girl visibly deflated at the realization. She could practically feel the future she had imagined for herself, even if only briefly, slipping away. “Okay,” she mumbled.

And then ran out of the room without another word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom