Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Vengeance and Violence

Iego, the Scar Worlds

The intersection of the half-rebuilt town was clogged with Diathim, their gleaming white skin pale as starshine in the evening twilight. At the center of the clustered throng, the nexus around which the crowds had clustered like satellites in orbit around a planet, was a lone figure. Tall and skinny, with dark curly hair and green eyes, Percival Io looked like a young man, but there was something off about him. The natives sensed it, and knew that what they were looking at was not human, but that hardly mattered.

Percival was preaching, and while many passed him by without stopping, the people that had gathered around him were hanging on to every word.

"The Alliance and the Silvers send you relief packages and promises," Percival said. "These things feed you for a day, but what happens when the aid is cut off? They claim they won't forget the Scar Worlds, but it has already begun. The Maw draws their attention elsewhere. Where does that leave planets like Yurb, Nar Kreeta, and Iego, still struggling to recover?"

"We will rebuild!" a heckler called out. "Iego is strong! The Diathim will rise again!"

"Yes, and House Io will help them!" Percival replied. "We will never forget the Scar Worlds. Many of our members are survivors of the Bryn'adul terror. We offer our help freely, without the threat of imperialism or Jedi oversight. We will give you the tools, the weapons, and the training to fight for yourselves—then you need never rely upon any faction's charity again!..."

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds
Tags: Percival Io Percival Io

It broke Master Omar's heart the state that Iego had been left in. It always seemed that the Galaxy had a way of bringing unnecessary suffering onto good people. The Scar Worlds were, of course, no exception. Officially, Omar was a member of the New Jedi Order. This didn't influence his being here now. The Mon Calamari didn't represent an order this day, only the living Force, what had brought him to this place. When he overheard distant preaching, it soon became clear why the wandering Jedi Master had been brought to Iego.

"We offer our help freely, without the threat of imperialism or Jedi oversight. We will give you the tools, the weapons, and the training to fight for yourselves—then you need never rely upon any faction's charity again!..."

Gec stepped through the crowd effortlessly, nothing more than a compassionate smile on his face. Now was not the time to breed violence, not while the Daithim had yet to process their state.

"I respect your fire, preacher," Omar spoke out, leaning against his walking stick, "But now is not the time for recruitment. One cannot always act in their own interest when thinking irrationally. If you truly value their freedom of choice, I suggest you return when they've come to terms with their loss."

An elderly aquatic alien stepped forward and raised his objections to the content of Percival’s sermon. The Chaplain wasn’t too concerned with one old fish’s opinion, but it would look bad if he ignored him.

On the contrary, sir,” Percival replied, his tone entirely polite. “Now is the perfect time to recruit for the cause of freedom and liberty. Independence is won not by passivity and complacency, but through action and assertion of every sentient being’s individual dignity.

Addressing the rest of the crowd, he added, “You are statistics in a file on the desk of the Chancellor, a vague inkling in the Force to the Jedi. They may sense your suffering, but they don’t have to live it. They will never understand. You’ll always be little more than helpless refugees to them. But we see you as potential warriors to be feared. Then none would dare to attack your world or its people!

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds

“You may not be entirely wrong,” the old Mon Calamari began as he stroked his chin. “No matter how good the intentions of an individual are, there’s a disconnect between the vast distance of stars. But, what you have applied to them could, in theory, be applied to your people as well.”

A whimsical grin spread across the face of the Jedi Master. He spoke with no malice, nor in a condescending tone. Words passed through his lips in a light, digestible manner, one that was not upsetting to the ears. Even his posture was relaxed, suggesting no contempt or aggression in his actions.

“Why push so hard for these people to take up arms?” Omar challenged politely. “From an outside perspective, one may assume that you see these people as nothing more than fuel for your conflict, praying on the insecurities and anger of those facing turmoil.” A warm smile spread across his face. “Of course, I must clarify; That isn’t what I’m accusing you of, my friend. I’m simply giving you a window to a different point of view, if you are willing to see through it.”

Percival suppressed the urge to scoff. House Io was nothing like the major factions who grew fat on wars they started over petty feuds. His House was anathema to suffering, not the cause of it.

Do I really believe that? After what happened at Tython?

His programming was quick to correct the stray thought. It was not the House which was a source of pain, but the fools they chose to ally themselves with.

The old man assured him he wasn’t accusing him of anything, but Percival found that highly questionable.

Ah, then perhaps I have been unclear,” the Chaplain said, still as polite as ever. “Joining House Io is an option, not a requirement. We will still train, arm and supply anyone who comes to us free of charge. You’ll be beholden to no one. Ours is still charity work, in a way, but more than that we are offering you the tools which you may use to defend yourselves from any threat that comes to your doorstep.

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds

There was a glimpse of something there that caught the Mon Calamari off guard. Remorse? Momentary questioning? It didn’t linger, almost as if something had pushed those thoughts back… repressed even.

“I understand,” Gec nodded. “Defense is integral to securing prosperity these days. The galaxy seems more unstable than ever. But I muse; what if they seek support elsewhere? If these people were allied with one you saw as unsavory for defense, would your House still provide charity?”

It was in that moment that Omar took into account the gathered crowd. To be in the good graces of the people, there was no way the man would speak his true thoughts. They needed a change of scenery.

“I apologize, but would you be willing to take a walk with me?” Omar asked out of the blue. “I’m not one for crowds, but I find myself rather invested in our dialogue.”

If you ally yourselves with the Alliance, the Imperials, or the Silvers, they would probably make it a requirement that you sever all ties with us,” Percival said with a grim smirk. “We not only speak out against them, we’ve come into conflict with these factions in the past. Old grudges are slow to die.

I speak in the past tense, yet some of these wrongs are still recent. The Silver Rest is gone because of us. And why? For the sake of the Matriarch’s hatred.

But they deserved it.

Didn’t they?

Percival was pulled from his momentary musings by the old fish asking to speak to him alone. The Chaplain was slightly suspicious of the request, but confident in his ability to defend himself should the need arise.

Certainly,” he agreed. To the crowds he said, “Another from my House will come to speak to you further.

Even as he spoke, he sent out a message to one of his brothers, another Chaplain called Lancelot. He arrived to take Percival’s place roughly two minutes later, resuming the sermonizing.

Percival stepped down from his metaphorical soapbox. “Lead the way, then,” he said to the old fish.

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds

Lead the way, then,

Master Omar gave the Chaplain a warm smile. He was rather surprised that the man had even humored him, but Omar knew he really shouldn't be shocked. It was, after all, the will of the force. It worked in mysterious ways.

"Many thanks," the Mon Calamari replied with a nod. "Come. My camp is not far. I have tea brewing."

The old man turned and made his way around the crowd, assuming the preacher would follow. His camp was, as Omar had said, not far, perched atop an incline north of where Percival had been speaking. The Jedi's ship was there, it's wing sheltering a campfire from any rogue gusts of wind. A tea kettle was hanging from a metal rod over the fire, steam billowing from the spout. Flat stones were arranged around the fire, premade seats perfectly weathered by the planet. Omar waved for the Chaplain to sit, taking a seat on the other side of the fire.

"First, I must apologize once again," he began. "It was not my intention to put you on the spot in front of the locals. I'm not much of a political activist myself. Just a curious old fool." The old fish grinned, laying his walking staff against the wing of his small vessel. He made a gesture to offer the man tea before continuing. "I must ask, again out of curiosity; These things that you are preaching... How much faith do you have in them?"

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s no need to apologize," Percival said, walking alongside the old fish. "I enjoy debate—although I’m not the best the House has to offer in that regard.” His brother Galahad was the better debater.

"I must ask, again out of curiosity; These things that you are preaching... How much faith do you have in them?"

Absolute faith,” Percival replied without hesitation. “I was created to serve House Io. To lose my faith would be impossible... or catastrophic.

In the Force, Gec Omar might notice that Percival appeared as a blank spot in the natural world. It hadn’t been as noticeable when he was surrounded by the crowd, but now it was apparent that he was some sort of droid. Whether that revelation would affect the course of the conversation remained to be seen.

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds

“Created, you say?” Gec remarked, scratching his chin. Things were starting to make sense now. “I see. Can I tell you a story?”

The Mon Calamari turned, facing towards the setting sun. In this light, his age was rather apparent, his many wrinkles popping out as the cast little shadows.

“I have lived a long time,” Omar told the Chaplain. “I was once a warrior, one who took up the blade to fight for a cause. I was raised from birth for such a task. In a way, you could say I may have even been created for that purpose. I thought I was defending peace, order… stability. Maybe I was. But… that didn’t prevent the aftermath.”

Omar’s face grew grave in his state of retrospection. It was part of his life that he had come to terms with, but it wasn’t a fond memory of his.

“It is hard to deny the toll war takes on the Galaxy when it looks you in the eyes,” Omar continued. “Even amongst those you may consider to be your enemies, there are those who cannot defend themselves, those who take up arms to defend the ones they hold dear… In the case of you and I, there are those brought up to fulfill the will of another.”

Master Omar’s smile returned as he turned back to face the fire. He had just spilled his heart out, yet he was not in pain. There was only serenity.

“That was long ago now,” the old fish explained. “I live a different life now, traveling by the light of stars to meet the people of the galaxy. My intentions aren’t very complex, I’m afraid. I simply wish to see the galaxy through the eyes of others. I have much to learn, after all. I may be old, but I have no intentions of dying any time soon.” His attention shifted back to the android. “If your House Io fell and you remained, what would you do? You don’t need to answer that if you don’t want to.”

Gec was nothing if not understanding. He had lived for seventy-two long years, after all. The Mon Calamari knew that all things took time.

Percival listened to the old fish’s story in silence. He predicted where it was all going, but he let his companion finish.

Then the old fish asked a question that the Chaplain did not expect. For a few moments Percival was quiet and deep in thought.

I’ve never given it much thought before,” he admitted. Then, with a slight shake of his head, “Even if the Matriarchs were all killed, the people would remain. We would continue on… But you’re speaking of complete destruction. If every member of House Io were dead, except me…

Another long pause followed. Percival wasn’t having difficulty coming up with a logical answer so much as he was having a hard time imagining a galaxy without his creator, his parish, his brothers and sisters, or any of the people he knew and cared for. Total aloneness was not something he had ever considered.

I would no longer be able to fully fulfill my purpose,” he said finally. “But, I could keep spreading the word, propagating House Io’s ethos and winning more followers of our philosophy. I could build a new House based on the old…

That was assuming that House Io’s destruction was not the result of its flaws. But everything in the universe was in entropy. It would all die eventually… which meant that some day, Percival would be alone.

Gec Omar

G
Iego, The Scar Worlds

"And you thought you had me figured out," Omar laughed, a mischievous smile stretching across his face. Synthetic or not, the Mon Calamari was good at reading faces. There were other ways to read the mind of others than through the force. "There is always more than meets the eye, if you are willing to see it."

The old fish paused, pondering the response that the Chaplain had cobbled together. He didn't blame the man for not being prepared to answer such a question, but it took great strength to try regardless of that fact. In that way, the preacher had Omar's respect.

"We're momentary phenomena, you and I," Gec continued. "People die, plants decay, droids rust. Even the planets we stand on crumble with time. The Republic of Old stood firm for tens of thousands of years, yet it's now nothing more than a distant memory. It almost guarantees that, at some point before we pass on, we may be alone. I know because I was alone... or at least, I thought I was. One may still assume me to be alone, I'm a hermit after all, but I've been fortunate enough to meet people all over the galaxy. As long as there are good people out there, people who are willing to share a piece of their unique experience in this Galaxy, I won't be alone any time soon."

Gec stood, grabbing his staff and turning to look down on the nearby town. The Daithim were rebuilding even as they spoke. Off in the distance, Omar could see mourners, those who, much like he had, may feel completely alone. Yet, in the face of this loss, the broken hearted were beginning to speak, sharing their experiences with one another. They surely would not feel alone for long.

"I asked you to wait because these people feel alone in this moment," the old fish explained. "No matter how much charity we may provide them, supplies cannot fill the hole in their hearts... But, if given time..." He paused. It was faint, but the sound of laughing children began to echo through the streets. "...They may find something new. Something worth defending."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom