Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Location Velmærr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geographical Landmark

Velmærr

5CxWqUZ.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
SETTING INFORMATION
  • Landmark Name: Velmærr
  • Classification: Lava Field [Solid]
  • Affiliation: Crownlands Thyrian Hearthfire | Dawnguard
  • Size: The blocky flow of lava cut the Crownlands approximately 32 kilometers and the widest point is five kilometers across. The thickness various but is no more that ten meters.
  • Population: No Inhaditants
  • Demographics: N/a
  • Accessibility: Open Access
  • Description: At a glance, the lava field is a solid natural formation of rock and crystalline substance, the outer layer is black and where cracks have formed allows to see the dark green glass-like solid hidden below the crust. However, since the initial eruption layers of snow and ice have compacted on the lava field and is completely covered.
POINTS OF INTEREST

• Barren Beauty - The lava field along with the immediate surrounding area, is stark and a cold reminder of the battle. In its desolation there is beauty in a landscape void of feature apart from the blacken lava formation.
  • Void of Wildlife - Eerie silence is a constant, there is no wildlife of any note apart from the microscopic creatures that live within the water trapped in the crevasses of the rock.
  • Volcano - The nearby mountain once dormant, features a ragged peak, a result of the eruption. And from time to time, a plumb of grey smoke issues from its mouth, a constant reminder that the is active, and at any time the volcano could erupt again.
  • Geothermal features - Hot vents of steam from the underground springs, hiss from the cracks in the side of the volcano especially in the long winter months, geysers of hot mud bubble at the base of the mountain range in pools. And there is always a smell of sulphur in the air.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

In the Great Ruinous War of Midvinter in which the armies of the Realm of Midvinter flocked to the banner of King [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"] to fight an unknown enemy, the armies and the leading families of Hearthfire and Heavenshield faced the hordes and Goddess of Death, Grima. The armies of the Valkyri joined with many Beorni and Aelvar in defence of their home world but many that faced the horde died and no matter how many they killed more would come, it was a never ending enemy that they faced and as the battle wore on, defeat faced the collective army of Midvinter.

Coci and [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] entered the battle directly with Grima in a hope to defeat her but both were soundly defeated and suffered major injuries.It seemed that nothing could stop her and her hordes that only wanted to death and destruction. In an attempted to save the lives of the Heavenshields and to buy some time in which the Gods of Midvinter would enter the battle, Velkar Odiirson, God of Fire and Mischief, used his vast power to initiate an eruption of a long dormant volcano.

The eruption spewed out a river of lava, as well a fire balls of molten rock which Velkar directed toward Grima in a hope to distract her long enough for the Heavenshields to get to safety and a hope it would stop her, or even kill her. This failed although the Heavensheilds lived to survive another day. After the battle was won by the advent of the Gods, Velkar would return to Beornskald.

The result of this eruption produced Velmærr, the black scar of solidified lava in which the beautiful fire glass was formed. The outer layer is typical of a lava flow, a hard black igneous rock encases the fire glass. As a result of solidification the fire glass was formed uniquely. It is not a solid block but rather runs in thin to thick veins throughout the igneous rock formation. It is not pure in structure and possess 'dirty' facets, small particles of rock and debris embedded within the veins.

The igneous rock and fire glass is a finite resource, the glass is limited to the amount which resulted from the eruption, once depleted there shall be no more. However, Fire glass in it's natural form, can be turned into jewellery or polished to create ornaments. Skilled craftsman and woman can blow the glass into bowls, drinking vessels or any other useful item. Other uses include refining the glass to create panes for windows either as a block colour or more intricate designs. In its more dense form, the fire glass can be honed into arrow heads, and small knives or daggers. A deft hand can keep the edge keen with the application of a grinding stone.

Fire glass is valued for its beauty and is versatile in use. The outer layer is rich in mineral deposits and will with time, create fertile soil. Although the outer layer is hard and with force can be broken, the fire glass is brittle and easily shattered. It is just glass.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]

Over all, this is a nice piece.

My one issue is that the 'points of interest' section reads more like a materials sub- since that's a thing that Factory actually handles and has a template for, can I have you return the Points of Interest to just about the *location* itself. If you'd like to add fluff about the material into the history you absolutely can and I encourage that information to make it's way as narrative into that section. Since the material is clearly fluff and not meant to be powerful, I think that's perfectly fine.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

You are correct in your thoughts there, and I thank you for them. ^_^

I believe I have come up with what would be considered more of natural features for such an event as an eruption.

I have incorporated the (old) points of interest into the history section, and have added some features to the area in which the lava field is located, in the (new) points of interest.

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom