Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VAR-01 "Inceptor" Pattern Repeating Blaster Rifle.

JbieR8N.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Manufacturer: The Golden Company’s Guild of Armourers, The Thyrsian Hierarchy, Various Contracted Factories.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Model: VAR-01 “Inceptor” Pattern Repeating Blaster Rifle.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Affiliation: The Golden Company, The Thyrsian Hierarchy, Closed-Market. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Modularity: Yes; Various Exterior Attachments (Modular Rail System), Energy Source, and Tibanna Gas Canister.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Production: Mass-Produced.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Material: Durasteel, Myoflex Heatsinks, Plastiod, Magnatomic Adhesion Grip (Textured Rubber), Compacted Galven Coiling, Various Weapon and Blaster Components. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Classification: Blaster; Repeating Longblaster, Assault Weapon and Battle Rifle.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Size: Two-Handed Weapon. [Average Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Length: 90 Centimetres or 35 Inches.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Weight: 6.6 Kg [Average Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Ammunition Type: Plasma Cartridge, Power Cell/Power Pack, Spun-Tibanna Canister (Gas), Portable Power Generator. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Ammunition Capacity: Power Cell/Power Pack (30 Shots), Plasma Cartridge (120 Shots), Portable Power Generator (Theoretically, ~Unlimited - Generator Depending.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Reload Speed: [Average Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Effective Range: [Average Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Optimum Effective Range: 100 Meters.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Maximum Effective Range: 300 Meters. (Magnetic Sheathing Decay.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Beam Colour: Variable - Tibanna Gas Dependant. (Standard - Sapphire.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Action and Feed System: Plasmatic Conversion - Spun-Tibanna Catalyst.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Rate of Fire: Three Particle Bolts per Second. [Low Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Stopping Power: Plasmatic Particle Bolt [High Rating.][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Recoil: [[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Low Rating] - Blaster Weapon.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Compacted Glaven Coiling - Highly Concentrated Plasmatic Particle Bolt.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Automated Firing Selector - Semi-Automatic, or Burst (Three Rounds.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Delicate Energy Accelerator(s) and Integrated Muzzle Compensator - Longblaster Classification.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Modular Attachment Rail System - Under and Over Barrel Attachments.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Integrated Combat Sights (x4 Magnification), with Wireless HUD Uplink Module and Infrared Targeting Laser.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Variable Power Charge System. (Stun to Lethal Settings.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Specialized “Bullpup” Rifle Design - Shorter Longblaster Variant.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Corrosion Proof, Vacuum Rated, Dry Lubricant. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Powerful “Armour-Piercing” Plasmatic Particle Beam - Plastoid to Reinforced Durasteel Plating (Personal Armour).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Modular Attachment Rail System - Various Under and Over Barrel Attachments.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Magnatomic Adhesion Grip - Disarmament Difficulties. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Longblaster Classification - Accuracy Specialization and Optimization. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Delicate Energy Accelerator(s) - Stunted Rate of Fire (Maximum of Burst.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Burst-Fire and Semi-Auto Mode(s) - Detrimental to Beam Grouping (Minor Decrease in Accuracy.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Minor Plasmatic Recoil - Marginal Accuracy Loss.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Close Quarters Optimization - Poor Performance at Longer Ranges.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Power Consumption - Decreased Ammunition Capacity for Greater Accuracy.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Increased Possibility of Overheating - Utilizing Constant and Maximum Rate of Fire.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Utilizing one of the most commonly understood, and widely-used technologies throughout the galaxy, the VAR-01 “Inceptor” Pattern Repeating Blaster Rifle seeks to bring about a mass-produced innovation that would revolutionize the small arms market - or at least those trusted by the Thyrsian’s enough to get their hands on this hardware. While the VAR-01 “Inceptor” was initially designed for the Auxiliary Forces of the Sun Guard, in time, the weapon would find itself serving as the primary assault weapon of the Thyrsian Hierarchy’s armed forces. Like any blaster weapon, the intense beam(s) consisted of high-energy particles and light that were compacted inside a magnetic field, that in turn sheathed the bolt until it impacted a target. This conversion process began when a small measure of energy-rich gas, most notably spun-tibanna, was moved through the heter valve into a gas conversion/enabler chamber - or more commonly known as the XCiter. It was in this chamber that the power source - be it a power pack, plasma cartridge, or a generator was able to energize the enriched gas before the mixture before being passed through the actuating blaster module to create a supercharged gas.

From there, it was transformed into a compressed beam of plasmatic particles, coupled with intense light, forming the very foundations of the deadly particle bolt. After the primordial laser was sent through, and further focused by a prismatic crystal, the fatally-charged energy was forced into the barrel that was impregnated by Galven Circuitry/Coils, which gave the plasmatic bolt it’s magnetic sheath. While this process allowed the laser to travel lengthy distances, and retain its deadly power, the containment field swiftly degraded over time - negating the killing power at extreme distances over the battlefield. Now, this was where the Thyrsian Guild has sought to improve upon the time-honoured design. With more galven coiling compacted into the barrel and leading up to the emitter nozzle, this would allow for the particle bolt to retain it’s deadly nature over long distances - much like how the longblaster and sniper variants of the plasmatic weapon operated. However, because the Guild intended to keep the beam-rifle at a handheld size, this addition gave them the opportunity to pour more than a small measure of tibanna gas into the enabler chamber and draw more energy from the standard power source. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Creating an even more deadly particle bolt that was several measures short of being classified as a low-grade disruptor. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As one could imagine, with the advances made in ramping up the power of the beam, there came with it a host of drawbacks. Most notably the delicate accelerator assembly built into the circuit-impregnated barrel, and the possibility of the gas conversion enabler overheating, if it was superheated in “rapid” succession without a brief moment of respite. The latter, if pushed to its limit, would often destroy the weapon, as the superheated array would melt - rendering the beam-rifle inert and utterly useless. While this process was rare, if the operator displayed their training by employing a disciplined finger over the trigger, there was still the chance that the weapon could be destroyed - either by external or perhaps a faulty internal component. While these drawbacks were concerning from the technical aspect, they were of little concern to the operator in the field, as their training would ideally counteract and compensate for the known weaknesses of the weapon.[/SIZE]

Hello there, [member="Khonsu Amon"]! I will be looking at this sub with you today.

Khonsu Amon said:
  • [SIZE=11pt]Automated Firing Selector, Single, Semi-Automatic, or Burst (Three Rounds.)[/SIZE]

Is there something special about the 'Single' mode? Or was that a typo and is supposed to be the Stun selector? Cause the idea of firing a round every time you pull the trigger is just Semi-Automatic.

Khonsu Amon said:
[SIZE=11pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Longblaster Classification - Accuracy Specialization and Optimization. [/SIZE]

• Burst-Fire and Semi-Auto Mode(s) - Detrimental to Beam Grouping (Minor Decrease in Accuracy.)

• [SIZE=11pt]Minor Plasmatic Recoil - Marginal Accuracy Loss.[/SIZE]

Saying a weapon is very accurate, but has two minor things causing slight accuracy losses that keep it from being utterly amazing, do not count as a valid weakness. Weaknesses that are counteracted by Strengths aren't weaknesses. Remove those two weaknesses, please.

Khonsu Amon said:
  • [SIZE=11pt]Close Quarters Optimization - Poor Performance at Longer Ranges.[/SIZE]

I need you to clarify what about it is poor at longer ranges as, in the description, you have this:

Khonsu Amon said:
While this process allowed the laser to travel lengthy distances, and retain its deadly power, the containment field swiftly degraded over time - negating the killing power at extreme distances over the battlefield. Now, this was where the Thyrsian Guild has sought to improve upon the time-honoured design. With more galven coiling compacted into the barrel and leading up to the emitter nozzle, this would allow for the particle bolt to retain it’s deadly nature over long distances - much like how the longblaster and sniper variants of the plasmatic weapon operated.
So, at the start, it would lose its killing power at 'extreme distances'. Then this was fixed allowing it to retain its lethal nature over long distances, I assume, to its Maximum Effective Range. A weapon that gets 'ever so slightly' weaker as it reaches its maximum range isn't something I would consider a noteworthy weakness especially when it has Average range. Because, from the description, this thing has anything but poor performance at it's higher range. [For reference, it not having the range of a sniper rifle or other such weapon isn't a valid weakness]

However, the crux of this is... this weapon is too 'good' to be mass-produced in its current form.

Looking over this thing, I see only two real weaknesses and one 'meh' weakness:
  • Low firing rate

• Low Ammunition

• May overheat, however this weakness is heavily nuked by you saying 'without a brief moment of respite' which implies this is something that isn't really going to happen unless under extreme circumstances given its something anyone trained in this weapon, or familiar, is going to know to avoid.

But, in terms of strength: [I will not be counting the 'eh' strengths like being harder to disarm the user]
  • Very Accurate

• Low Recoil further improving accuracy and shot placement

• Very High Power

• Very Low Decrease Of Lethality At Maximum Range

I think some finer tuning of this weapon is needed. How you go about that is fine, you can drop the Very High firepower to just High, you can work out some better PvP 'gameplay' weaknesses that would come to effect the user, you can mess with some other stats to make it more balanced, however you wish to go about it.

[member="Iona Immarya"] - I would like to direct you to the choice of wording in which I used to describe the strength you’ve taken issue with. Specialization, and Optimization. I am, in no way, saying that it’s very accurate. I am saying that it’s a blaster that’s specialized (devotion towards a particular area of occupation, or activity) towards being accurate - and with the inclusion of the accelerator assembly - optimized to perform its function. As using the 'perfect' principle in this regard is inappropriate, I would prefer that you used the 'to make the best of,' instead.

In removing two those weaknesses, you’re making the weapon out to be this fantastic thing that you're wanting me to nerf later on for being too good as a mass-produced weapon. I’m sorry, but they’ll be staying in there even if you consider them to be “meh” weaknesses. As if used in a PvP scenario, those will allow for anyone using my weapon - or having it be used against them - an avenue to avoid taking damage without having one person, or the other calling foul because it’s not explicitly listed.

The clarification you’re looking for in regards to the poor performance/lethality of the weapon is right there in the submission. The magnetic sheath of the particle bolt dissipates over time and distance, which takes the killing power of the bolt and tosses it out the window as soon as, or just after reaching it's maximum effective range. It’ll be like walking up to someone and blowing a fistful of dust in their face, fundamentally speaking, as that highly charged gas evaporates since it’s no longer contained by the magnetic field. So, up until it hits 300m, the particle bolt is potent enough in one manner or another - as it not only depends on ideal firing conditions (various environmental effects can interfere with blasters or their magnetic fields) but what countermeasures the target deploys before the particle bolt’s discharged as well. The fix that I mentioned in the description, is what allows the bolt to keep it's deadly potency up to it's maximum range before becoming that "cloud of dust," as without the compacted galven coiling a standard blaster would lose it's killing power at much shorter ranges due to the intense plasmatic decay of the high-powered bolt.

Personally, I find the categorization of overheating as a “meh” weakness mildly insulting, especially when it's a canon weakness of many blaster rifles in Star Wars lore. If someone is writing that they’re firing this weapon in rapid succession, without mentioning a disciplined trigger finger, it’ll cook the internal mechanisms and destroy the weapon. Period. They should've known better and chosen their words more carefully.

• Again. It’s accurate. Not very accurate. Please stop putting words onto my submission when it’s evident that they’re not there.
  • Low Recoil is still Recoil. Meaning that it’s grouping and accuracy are still affected - which for a beam weapon is quite the weakness when realistically speaking, as there shouldn’t be any recoil at all due to the fact there's no actuating parts, or any systems that would produce kickback like a slughthrower.
But, I thank you for catching that typo. Forgot it in my double-check. lol

[member="Khonsu Amon"]
Khonsu Amon said:
I would like to direct you to the choice of wording in which I used to describe the strength you’ve taken issue with. Specialization, and Optimization. I am, in no way, saying that it’s very accurate. I am saying that it’s a blaster that’s specialized (devotion towards a particular area of occupation, or activity) towards being accurate - and with the inclusion of the accelerator assembly - optimized to perform its function. As using the 'perfect' principle in this regard is inappropriate, I would prefer that you used the 'to make the best of,' instead.
I took no issue with your wording of it being accurate. If you devote a large aspect of a ranged weapon to being accurate, enough to specifically mention it in the strengths, it is going to be 'more then accurate', or 'very accurate' by comparison to other weapons. I never said the word perfect not implied perfect accuracy. I have no idea where you are going with this. But, like it or not, the fact this weapon is very accurate is going to count as a strength. You may not like that it counts as a large strength, but it does. I count it as being balanced out by the low rate of fire which helps by forcing the user to take more time in shot placement as well as the natural accuracy of the weapon helping even further. I have no issues with this weapon being 'very' accurate.

Khonsu Amon said:
In removing two those weaknesses, you’re making the weapon out to be this fantastic thing that you're wanting me to nerf later on for being too good as a mass-produced weapon. I’m sorry, but they’ll be staying in there even if you consider them to be “meh” weaknesses. As if used in a PvP scenario, those will allow for anyone using my weapon - or having it be used against them - an avenue to avoid taking damage without having one person, or the other calling foul because it’s not explicitly listed.
No. Per the rules, any weaknesses that are counteracted by the strengths are not weaknesses. Saying this weapon is accurate, a 8/10 on the accuracy scale, if you will, but these two things keep it from being a 10/10 is not a weakness no more then 'This weapon is accurate, but not as accurate, as a sniper rifle' is not a weakness. That is something that should be in the description. If this weapon were inaccurate and those two were further extrapolating the 'why' it was inaccurate or discussing on how it is inaccurate [One causing it to climb like a champion and the other making it hard to reacquire the target, for example], that would be another matter.

So. Yes, I am going to tell you to remove them either completely or put them in the description.

Khonsu Amon said:
The clarification you’re looking for in regards to the poor performance/lethality of the weapon is right there in the submission. The magnetic sheath of the particle bolt dissipates over time and distance, which takes the killing power of the bolt and tosses it out the window as soon as, or just after reaching it's maximum effective range. It’ll be like walking up to someone and blowing a fistful of dust in their face, fundamentally speaking, as that highly charged gas evaporates since it’s no longer contained by the magnetic field. So, up until it hits 300m, the particle bolt is potent enough in one manner or another - as it not only depends on ideal firing conditions (various environmental effects can interfere with blasters or their magnetic fields) but what countermeasures the target deploys before the particle bolt’s discharged as well. The fix that I mentioned in the description, is what allows the bolt to keep it's deadly potency up to it's maximum range before becoming that "cloud of dust," as without the compacted galven coiling a standard blaster would lose it's killing power at much shorter ranges due to the intense plasmatic decay of the high-powered bolt.
No, those are 'Fluff' weaknesses. Weaknesses that are not going to really affect the writer because of how you worded and wrote them. 'A brief moment' meaning even a temporary stop, even incredibly short one, will fix any heating issue. That any soldier trained with this weapon, so anyone who really uses it, will not suffer from these because they know what to look for. Now, if it were a more aggressive overheating that was harder to cool then 'in a brief moment' we would have something, but as it is now, it is more of a fluff weakness then a true, viable weakness enough to offset the strengths of this weapon. If you note, I never told you to remove this weakness, because it is a weakness, but not the kind that offsets your weapon's strengths.

As you said your weapon, unlike standard blasters, can keep its lethal nature to further ranges then standard blasters. Ergo, this is a strength, as I mentioned, moreover, it is an Average range rating, so no, losing its potency after passing its maximum effective range, like the vast majority of ranged weaponry, is not anything approaching a weakness. How something works isn't as important as the effect it has as far as balancing goes. You can have a perfectly sound and logical reason for your sub doing X and Y, I have nothing against the means your weapon does this, what I care about is the outcome of its capabilities, what it can do. Which is what I judge.

Khonsu Amon said:
Personally, I find the categorization of overheating as a “meh” weakness mildly insulting, especially when it's a canon weakness of many blaster rifles in Star Wars lore. If someone is writing that they’re firing this weapon in rapid succession, without mentioning a disciplined trigger finger, it’ll cook the internal mechanisms and destroy the weapon. Period. They should've known better and chosen their words more carefully.
I apologize if you feel insulted. However, see the above. Such a weakness, one that is so easily controlled and negated, is a 'fluff' weakness. There are plenty of weapon subs with a far more aggressive overheating mechanism that helps balance out their Very High firepower rating to the point where it can cause the weapon to shut down as a safety measure until it cools down, fries the weapon, or can even cause catastrophic weapon failure that may result in the injury of the user, and unlike yours, they don't cool down 'in moments' or can be all but ignored by a trained user of the weapon.

Yours is a fluff weakness. The one I described is a viable overheating weakness I would see balancing out the potency of a weapon.

Khonsu Amon said:
  • Again. It’s accurate. Not very accurate. Please stop putting words onto my submission when it’s evident that they’re not there.
  • Low Recoil is still Recoil. Meaning that it’s grouping and accuracy are still affected - which for a beam weapon is quite the weakness when realistically speaking, as there shouldn’t be any recoil at all due to the fact there's no actuating parts, or any systems that would produce kickback like a slughthrower.
  • Dedicated a chunk of this weapon to stress its accuracy makes it a 'very' accurate weapon. If you prefer I can say, 'more accurate then the majority of other weapons in its category', however, I will be judging it the same.
  • Low Recoil on a weapon with very high power requires a level of weaknesses to balance that. Weapons that have no recoil, find other means to balance it. Weapons without recoil have made it through the submissions with no issues because they provided enough weaknesses and draw backs in other areas to make it a balanced submission. We warn, on the skeleton of the submission, that Very High power requires more work.
Tag me when you have done as I asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom