Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Vakhul-kas Chitin Spike Thrower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
IDW57-TRASHY-FINAL.jpg

Image Credit: Google search "Bio Gun"
Intent: We really needed new, innovational Vong weapons as there are currently so few in Canon.
Developent Thread: None
Manufacturer: The Horde Shapers
Model: Vakhul-Kas
Affiliation: The Horde, The Vakhul'kun Hybrid Fighter.
Modularity: None (modifications will require new submissions)
Production: Minor
Material: Vong-Shaped Chitin, Compressed Methane Gland, Hyperactive Acid
Description: The Vakhul-Kas is a weapon shaped by the Vong out of a chitinous material that is almost as hard and resilient as durasteel plating, though flexible as well. It was designed to do one thing and one thing only; project large bone-like spikes with sharp ends and a hollow, acid-filled core. Compressed gas chambered by a sphincter muscle node is used to throw the projectile out of the chamber while a carapace sabot uses the excess pressure to accelerate the projectile to post-sonic speeds. When the tip of the spike makes contact with a solid mass, it causes the projectile to fragment into potentially dozens of smaller shards which burst out like a scattergun, coated by the flecks of acid inside. While only average against shields, if lodged into a hull, it is capable of causing damage to internal hardware and electronics, which can cripple systems and flight mechanisms, though in space this effect is greatly reduced/isolated as the acidic compound held within the spike freezes when exposed in the cold vacuum of space. Against infantry, the effects can be devastating to all but the heaviest armors and suits.
Classification: Spike Thrower
Size:
  • Handheld - Heavy Weapon - 1.0 Scale
  • Ship-Mounted - Single Cannon - 3.5 Scale
Length:
  • ​1.9 m.
  • 6.65 m.
Weight:
  • 28 kg.
  • 98 kg.
Ammunition Type: Fragmentational Chitin Spike
Ammunition Capacity: ~50
Effective Range:
  • 160 meters
  • 560 meters

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]
Mkay, let's get started.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Production: Minor/Limited
Is it minor or limited? Or do they represent the handheld/ship grade variants? Please specify.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Material: Vong-Shaped Chitin, Yaret-Kor Plasma
This looks fine, but I'm curious as to why the plasma? You could save time and effort using a compressed gas/sphincter muscle combo, but the plasma works if you want to keep it.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
When the tip of the spike makes contact with a solid mass, it causes the projectile to fragment into potentially dozens of smaller shards which burst out like a scattergun, coated by the flecks of acid inside. Against infantry, the effects can be devastating to all but the heaviest armors and suits. While only average against shields, if lodged into a hull, it is capable of causing damage to internal hardware and electronics, which can cripple systems and flight mechanisms.
Mkay, this is going to need some clarification. Usually, spike launchers are fired with the intention to impale or spear the target. This sounds more like its designed to shatter on contact and spray shrapnel like a grenade launcher would. When you go on to describe it's effects against infantry, it looks like it shreds anything below class 8. Is this through the acid or the shrapnel? When you go on to the starship variant, it sounds like typical spike launcher filled with an acid core that injects on impact instead of exploding. Plus, most, if not all, acids freeze in space. Could you clarify please?

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Weight: 28 kg. 98 kg.
The ship variant looks fine, but the handheld looks a bit heavy. Is there a reason for this?

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Effective Range: 120 meters 420 meters
You can keep the ranges if you'd like, but to me they look a bit under ranged.

@ me when done and we can move along :p

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Popo said:
Is it minor or limited? Or do they represent the handheld/ship grade variants? Please specify.
Aren't these the same, just worded differently? I don't recall any distinction aside from the (One or two, a handful, a lot) system. xD

Popo said:
This looks fine, but I'm curious as to why the plasma? You could save time and effort using a compressed gas/sphincter muscle combo, but the plasma works if you want to keep it.
Hmm. Never thought about it. Maybe.

Popo said:
Mkay, this is going to need some clarification. Usually, spike launchers are fired with the intention to impale or spear the target. This sounds more like its designed to shatter on contact and spray shrapnel like a grenade launcher would. When you go on to describe it's effects against infantry, it looks like it shreds anything below class 8. Is this through the acid or the shrapnel? When you go on to the starship variant, it sounds like typical spike launcher filled with an acid core that injects on impact instead of exploding. Plus, most, if not all, acids freeze in space. Could you clarify please?
That's all (mostly) correct. It's a heavy weapon, probably unconventional by human standards, thus it can deal in below heavy armor. Both the acid and the shrapnel combined do the damage. The last two sentences are in backwards order, sorry. Lastly, it's Vong stuff, I threw my biology/physics books out the window. xD

Popo said:
The ship variant looks fine, but the handheld looks a bit heavy. Is there a reason for this?
Well, it can punch through most medium armor and was intended to be carried either large by ships or small by Vong-shaped monsters. :3

Popo said:
You can keep the ranges if you'd like, but to me they look a bit under ranged.
If that's an open invitation to increase it, I'll take that. ;) 33.3% increase?

PS: The ship variant is perfectly in 3.5:1 scale with the "handheld" variant.

[member="Popo"] (current edits to be made momentarily)

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Aren't these the same, just worded differently? I don't recall any distinction aside from the (One or two, a handful, a lot) system. xD
They are. It goes Mass>Minor>Limited>Unique. Minor means there's a lot, but not as much as Mass production while limited means a few hundred or so while unique means one to a handful.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
That's all (mostly) correct. It's a heavy weapon, probably unconventional by human standards, thus it can deal in below heavy armor. Both the acid and the shrapnel combined do the damage. The last two sentences are in backwards order, sorry. Lastly, it's Vong stuff, I threw my biology/physics books out the window. xD
Mkay, still though, acid will freeze in space. The shrapnel I can see being a problem or even a good flak cannon analog, but if messing with hardware and electronics the acid will freeze. The only way around that is to inject it directly, but the spines/spikes shatter on impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom