Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Uystraoan Green Squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
a8d25f157614d4faf39792911392de3e.jpg
Just tinted it is all.​
Name: Uystraoan Green Squash
Designation: Non-sentient
Homeworld: Uystrao I, Uystrao II
Language: N/A
Average height of adults: This varies, though the plant itself averages 0.4-0.8 meters in height
Skin color: Light green for unripe fruit, darker greens for ripe fruit
Hair color: N/A
Breathes: Breathes in CO2, produces O2
Strengths:
  • Believed to prolong life when eaten over time
  • Considered lucky by the native inhabitants of Uystrao
  • Highly nutritious and very delicious
Weaknesses:
  • Very hard to grow and maintain
  • Low numbers, making the plant expensive and highly uncommon
  • Very, very short harvesting period
Distinctions: Dark green when ripe, short period of harvest, hard to find, and highly valued.
Average Lifespan: 1-2 years
Races: N/A
Estimated Population: Insubstantial
Diet: Water and soil-based nutrients
Communication: N/A
Culture: N/A
Technology level: N/A
General behavior: it's a plant
History:

Discovered after a few generations of settlement in the Uystrao system, the locals began to attempt to domesticate the Green Squash to add to their agriculture bounty. They quickly discovered that the plant was very difficult to grow and maintain, often leading farms growing the plant into disaster and ruin. The fruit is easily damaged and afflicted by disease and pests and, coupled with a harvesting season lasting but a handful of random days per growing season, means that the plant is very difficult to grow reliably.

Despite this failure to grow the Squash on an agricultural scale, the plant is still grown, albeit in very small amounts. Many farmers will keep a small, tiny garden patch where they attempt to grow one or two of the plants. In the wild, the Squash is occasionally found in the most out of the way places where, locals claim, disease and pests do not venture and allow the plants to grow untouched. Despite its reputation in ruining farms and plantations, the plant is considered lucky and the squash itself is highly prized and revered in many areas of the planet.

The Uystraoan people claim that the plant, if eaten regularly throughout one's life, will prolong lifespans far beyond the normal span. In fact, even possessing the plant itself is considered lucky with many farmers forgoing eating the squash and instead preserving it to display intact above fireplace mantels or over doorways as a sign of good fortune. Plants found growing wild are often left unmolested and only a small few squash harvested from the plants to bring back home. The plant is rarely shipped off world except through massive costs and fees, meaning that anyone wishing to benefit from the supposed long life given by eating the plant must almost always reside on Uystrao I or II. Whether the plant actually prolongs life or if the supposed effects are brought about by a heavily agricultural diet are unknown, but what is very apparent is the amount of belief the Uystraoan people place in such a strange, green fruit is impossible to overlook.

Notable Player-Characters: N/A
Intent: Because it's time for Popo to make more plants and build the biosphere more. Also, kudos to Kaman for giving me more plants to work with!

[member="Popo"]
While the strengths aren't really substantial, given the nature and intent of this species I see no problems.

Anyway, wonderful submission. It is always good to encounter members who dedicate their time to improving the stories they write with these seemingly small (but often crucial) details!

I approve!

Approved pending secondary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom