Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use of Wiki?

Bunker-level Normal
I'm curious why the wiki doesn't see more use. This would seem like the perfect place to put approved Codex and Factory submissions, as well as allowing factions to update the pages of the worlds they own. It would be a useful resource for a relative newbie such as myself, who is still trying to get a grasp on the universe as it stands here, as Wookieepedia is woefully inaccurate in some respects for this site. Asking others to explain about all the worlds would get tiring, not to mention redundant should someone else have the same questions (and surely they do).

So why isn't the wiki really used? Is there a technical barrier to doing so? A political barrier? Something else?

[member="Rhain"] That would be because it isn't prepared for users :p Or anyone really.

Like Silara said, it's not on the staff's highest priority, and has been something like a myth for the past year or something like that, maybe even longer.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Fatty"] [member="Silara Kuhn"]

I can understand the lack of manpower/priority, although it's disappointing. I think it could be a good resource for players.

I have some wiki experience, and I'd offer my expertise. I don't expect to be taken up on the offer, I'm sure the staff have more reputable individuals who have the knowledge, but the offer is there nonetheless.

[member="Captain Jordan"]

This is a really good question.
I have no idea what the staff thoughts on the matter are but I do have some ideas as to why there's no encouragement to update it.

First, Chaos is based off of an already existing canon with its own wiki. Most roleplay revolves around that canon in some way or another. Planets, species, locations, NPC, and even your characters all have ways to be submitted and cataloged and thus--unless unapproved--are part of Chaos canon. That's the same with everything in factory. It's submitted, approved, and thus exists in Chaos canon.

As for things like events, fluff, and such let me just say this... The Codex lore section rarely got used; it was an opportunity for that but no one had the interest to use it for its intended purposes and thus there were less than half a dozen (approved) lore submissions.

So from that standpoint you might understand why there's no encouragement to flesh out the existing Chaos wiki or improve it. If you did make a suggestion and gathered public opinion, maybe you could create encouragement by showing that a majority of the community would be interested in a fleshed out and actively updated wiki. Assuming that would be the case, of course.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Sound logic, and I understand this viewpoint. I think my biggest aspiration for a Wiki-style catalogue of information is the means to organize it. Chaos does alright with the Codex and Factory approved sub-boards, but searching for information is difficult unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Browsing is even less efficient, as I learned when I was looking through to find information on existing ships.

The purpose of this topic was really to discover what barriers stand in the way of utilizing the Wiki. So far, from what I gather, it is mainly the lack of:
1. Staff resources
2. Technical expertise
3. Public opinion

I think it's mainly 1. and 3.

Staff are usually busy with other things. Then as far as public opinion goes, I think the lore section's lack of submissions did show there's only a minor interest in adding fluff... I've never once found a roleplay community that had a proper wiki. Those that tried either were barely fleshed out or never moderated to remove the contradictory false lore.

It's not easy but that doesn't mean I also don't think there are viable solutions for this :)

[member="Rhain"] Think of it as the alpha stage of a video game. It isn't meant to be used by players yet. It isn't even on Beta level.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"] I tried to encourage a Lore contest but there were sadly not enough writers interested for me to reasonably front the effort for, given my lack of experience with such things. :(

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

What would change this? What would allow more interest in fluff, as you say, or rather more lore and in-story information about canon worlds and places?

Could one faction lead the way?
Could the bar to entry be lowered in some fashion?
Could codex judges give us a jumpstart?

The right question to ask isn't whether or not something can be done but whether or not it should be done.

I'd see what the general opinion on this is. Generally speaking, the solution is there. It's just whether or not people want it :)

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Isn't that a lot of red tape for a question that has already been answered? Why else would the Lore creation area exist?

Oh, I see, someone already killed it. I guess we're starting from ground zero.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

How does one best go about gauging general support? Is an open question better, or something more specific? A discussion? A poll?

Captain Jordan said:
A discussion? A poll?
This is general the best way. I'd avoid making it sound like an ultimatum, though.

Always be sure to write it in the form of a question... Like.

"Would you like Chaos to have a Wiki?" or "Do you think there should be a way to categorize lore?"

You can probably think of better questions than I can! Just make sure people are aware that it's an interest poll, not a demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom