Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Unyielding-class Command Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
unsc_paris_class_heavy_frigate_by_annihilater102-d4xr5tl.jpg

Image Source
: Here

Affiliation: Omega Protectorate
Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced
Material: Durasteel-Titanium Alloy (Hull Plating), Quadanium (Structural Frame), Glasteel (Viewports)

Classification: Cruiser

Length: 500 meters
Width: 185 meters
Height: 95 meters

Armament: 15/12//10 Fore/Side/Rear

Hangar:
Primary Configuration

Alternate Configuration
  • Fifty-Six Droppods

Special Features: None

Maneuverability Rating: 15
Speed Rating: 11
Hyperdrive Class:
  • Primary: Class 1.5
  • Secondary: Class 12
Strengths:
Durable Defenses - The Unyielding-class is constructed with a high degree of craftsmanship in the hull design. Plates woven in criss-crossing micro-combs afford the ship remarkable durability. This reinforced hull combined with emergency bulkheads gives the class the ability to fight on long after other ships would have succumbed. Field tests have shown that the ship can be compromised across more than eighty percent of its hull and remain moderately active in fleet engagements.

Weaknesses:
Poor Maneuverability - The Unyielding-class Cruiser relies heavily on its exceptional hull strength as the ship has very poor maneuverability. Turning more like a Star Destroyer than a cruiser, it is difficult for the ship to reorient in the midst of a fleet battle.

Short-Duration Combat - Relying heavily on munitions for combat effectiveness, the Unyielding-class has difficulty engaging in sustained combat. Once its munitions run out, it is left virtually defenseless until all of its weapons can be reloaded, a process that can take upwards of ten minutes for some systems. Thus if a target is left capable of engaging while the Unyielding is depleted in munitions, the fight will rapidly swing against the ship.

Description: Conceived in a CEC think tank on Druckenwell, the ship that would come to be designated as the Unyielding-class Cruiser was born of a need for a smaller, more durable cruiser. Excubitors, while a venerable design that had served the Protectorate well, simply were not up to the task of direct combat.

Thus the first task set out by the think tank was to design a cruiser with unprecedented durability. Crisscrossing durasteel-titanium shells in a comb fashion allowed for the ship to sustain punishment from ships much larger than itself. Emergency bulkheads complimented this feature, allowing the ship to continue combat operations while others would be forced to retreat or face assured destruction. Such reinforcements necessitated a cutting back of maneuvering thrusters, making it exceptionally difficult for the craft to reorient.

Armed with an array of heavy mass drivers and a handful of incredibly powerful long-ranged mass driver cannons, the Unyielding-class aims to apply overwhelming force to its targets in a minimal amount of time. To this end the mass drivers are designed to rapidly deplete target shield facings, unable to effectively disperse the energy compared to a turbolaser, and then follow up with intense bursts with missiles to damage and destroy weapon emplacements and exterior systems. This does mean that any craft that can withstand this simple tactic is often beyond the Unyielding-class for engagements without the aid of other friendly combat vessels.

Fighters and dropships are stored in hangers along the port and starboard, with two fighters and a dropship per hanger cell. The decision for this separation was made to keep the hangers secure from weapons fire, though it does mean combat retrieval of support craft can be a lengthy process better left to after fighting has ended. If necessary, one or both hangers can be converted in their entirety to allow for the deployment of drop pods though this is more of a theoretical modification than one in actual field use as the Protectorate does not widely use drop pods.

• Emergency Bulkheads
  • Encryption Network
  • Escape Pods
  • Heavy Deflector Shield Generator
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Long-Range Communications Array
  • Standard Detention Cells
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Sensor Array
  • Standard Targeting Systems
  • Tractor Beam (x4)
Development Thread: N/A
Intent: To develop a smaller command ship for more junior Protectorate officers

[member="Ayden Cater"]

I like it, I don't see any glaring issues with the submission at all. The armament rating AND list is a little confusing, but I do think either would work alone.

My only issue might be the fact in your description you mention that the hanger can be swapped over to run drop pods, but how can you make that distinction in the rps consistently? Otherwise I think this is ready for approval, I'm just not familiar with how common it is a ship can run both options. I don't think its a problem, but I'd like a slightly better description for efficiency and consistency instead of just the tacked on bit.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

It's not at all a standard thing, as the Protectorate does not widely use drop pods. However, I wanted to have a ship I could point to should someone in the future express an interest in in attempting to use them for a thread.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

Alright then. I'd like to make two requests then. First I'd like you to drop the number of dropships from 12 to 6. A cruiser that isn't a carrier can max hold 3 squadrons total by the new template, and even then that leans more towards larger cruiser and not smaller ones usually. A dropship is at least worth 2 fighters. Second, I would like a little elaboration in the description, or at least a second hanger section listing an alternate loadout with the drop pods.

or

A dev thread on why the ship has a larger than average hanger space for its size. But I would still like the alternate hanger loadout with drop pods listed and how many.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

I figured having two listed weaknesses to one strength was a sufficient balancing factor to having the dropships.

As far as a second hanger listing, I wouldn't know how to make that since drop pods aren't really accounted for in the new template.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

I'd follow them like the old. 1 dropship per fighter.

Also like I said with the new template 36 is a lot of fighters for the cruiser class period unless its a carrier type. You're armed with enough guns to be considered between a balanced and assault cruiser from the before, so that does also factor into the hanger as well. With the weaknesses and thinking, I could agree to allowing 8 dropships instead of 6, but 12 would be another full squadron on a well armed and small cruiser.

So if you can, make note of the dropships, of which the alternate hanger could have 40, and drop the dropships from 12 to 8.

Or again, you could make a short dev thread regarding the hanger space expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom