Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untapped Well

Mandalorian Space
Orbiting Concordia
Arlan stood on the main deck of the frigate, eyes locked upon the view-screen overhead. The moon's visage slowly rotated before him, geological and atmospheric data dotted either side of the image. Arlan had been planning this venture for some time but only now, basking in the good grace of recent employment, did he have to funds to see it done. Arlan backed away, nodding to a Petty Officer as he typed away on a console. So many new faces seemed to have been cropping up as of late, and all so young. As things were now Arlan would rarely ever see a man he recognized from one operation to the next but perhaps that was the price of progress. Arlan knew he couldn't complain about it, for he had no right to. It was on his orders more men were hired, more ships were purchased, and a new Carrion Company came into existence.

A chuckled escaped from Arlan's lips and echoed down the hallway, quickly stifled and replaced with a smirk. Here they were at their destination but still so much needed to be done. Equipment checks, security protocols to enforce, that and more. If that wasn't bad enough a wayward Mandalorian might take offense to the lot of them and open fire the minute they touched down. Arlan couldn't help but shake his head at the thought of it, bring his hand up and running it through his hair with a grin. No, everything would have to work out. Too much preparation had gone into to this enterprise for it to simply fail at it's offset. Besides, Arlan had spared no expense in hiring outside help. He was a proud man, but not to the point of foolishness. He knew The Carrion Company couldn't undertake this alone and saw to it that men who knew this sort of thing were brought on-board.

A doorway opened and a tall Rutanian figure entered the hallway with a shake of his head, as if matching Arlan's previous doubts. "Arlan, you need to head to the cargo-hold and get things ready." Feeran Ji'kar spoke softly. "I know you brought me with you to help keep things in order but you have to do some of the work yourself." The Rutanian continue to complain.

"I know Feeran, I'm on my way there right now." Arlan spoke as he raised a hand to deter any further bickering. "I just gave the order to land, we have time to get things ready before touchdown."

"Always waiting until the last minute Arlan, how many times has that hurt us." Feeran fell in beside Arlan as he continued his walk down the corridor.

"Ye have little faith." Arlan jested. "Don't you think?"

"I have faith that when things turn sour I get shot at." Feeran straightened up and sounded a bit more hostile, "And don't say that it's my job, because it's not."

"Alright Feeran. This time I'll be the one getting shot at alright? Now let's go address our merry crew."

Feeran simply nodded and continued to follow Arlan down the hallway to the elevator. It wouldn't be long before they were on Concordia and things would need to go quickly and smoothly in their efforts. Hopefully the people Arlan had brought along would lessen the toll and time this particular venture would take on the lot of them. If not, well, there was always the slow and rocky way of doing things.

[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] | [member="Briar Thorn"]

Jaccer was also aboard the frigate which currently orbited Concordia. In Mandalorian space on a mining expedition was not where one would expect to find a Major of the Galactic Republic military, actually, due to recent circumstances this was the exact opposite of where he should be. But nonetheless this was where Jaccer had found himself. The soldier was not present to aid in the extraction of the Beskar, instead he would be acting as a security consultant for the company running the operation, The Carrion Company. Usually Jaccer would have delegated the task to someone else, perhaps an employee in his company, although today was different, he hadn't been off of Chazwa for a while a decided it was time for "vacation".

Mining Mandalorian Iron had always been a risky business for those not belonging to a Mandalorian Clan. It was a strong, extremely expensive and one of the rarest luxury resources found in the Galaxy and The Clans were hesitant to allow anybody but their own to possess it. This whole operation could get messy if even one clan of Mandos decided that it wouldn't be in their interests to allow The Carrion Company access to this Beskar, therefore Jaccer was pleased to see that he would allowed control of a sizeable force of security workers who seemed to be equipped with some of the best and most reliable weaponry.

Now, if only Jaccer could find his employer in these seemingly endless corridors of the frigate, he may be able to get started with his task. Hopefully someone would be able to direct him from the armoury to the location of Arlan.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]
[member="Briar Thorn"]

Briar Thorn

Life is a game, so why not enjoy yourself?
[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] [member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

Concordia was a planet that belonged to the Mandalorians, and that made it very dangerous to be at if you were doing anything that could piss off a Mandalorian. Mining beskar on the planet happened to be one of those activities that might piss them off, and that was what Briar had been hired to help do. Even he had heard about these warrior people on the farm back at Lothal on the other end of the galaxy. He had heard many things about them and none of them made things feel any better for him right now. He just knew he was going to be killed or injured on this trip. He only had a vibro-knife on him too which was more for utility than for fighting. He was a mechanic not a combatant too.

Briar knew how dangerous this job was, but he needed it. He hadn't had anything come up for him since he left Lothal other than working for transport to get to places he could try to salvage or scavenge what little was left. He finally got an actual job were they needed him for his actual mechanical skills than as an extra pair of hands to do manual labor. He wasn't scared of working hard, because that was what he grew up doing, but he was a mechanic and wanted to be wanted for that skill. He found himself on board the ship of his current boss waiting to get down to the planet so they could mine the beskar they needed. He didn't know what it was going to be used for, but he figured he didn't need to know either. All he needed to do was do his job right and well.

Briar sat on top of a crate in the hold as he went through his satchel. He was making sure he had all of his tools on him and in their proper places. He tried to keep his head down as he did because of how intimidating the company was. He had never been around mercenaries before, and this was definitely a first for him.

OOC: Sorry for how long this took. Been sick the past few days and it killed my muse along with my energy.

Mandalorian Space
Descending To Concordia

Arlan arrived in the rather large cargo hold of the ship with a worsening scowl on his face. Being stuck in an elevator with Feeran for any length of time when something irked him was not pleasant, and today he seemed especially peeved at his boss. Arlan had been lucky enough to receive all of Feeran's doubts and apprehensions about this little adventure of Arlan's on the ride to the hold, and now his mood had soured. At any moment Arlan felt as if he would skin his slugthrower and put himself and Feeran out of his misery, but he of course he didn't. Only Feeran's doubts and advice had kept him alive for most of the years they had known one another, and when Feeran was griping about things they were the closest of friends. A hand rose to Arlan's face and drug itself downward, as if attempting to wipe away the stress of the whole event. Arlan know he needed to at least seem chipper when he addressed the crew, less they all give up on things before they even touchdown.

As they entered the hold's greater area Arlan nodded to Feeran whom made his way to a wall intercom and began to speak out. "All ground operatives from the security and excavation teams make their way to the cargo hold for final instruction." Feeran's voice called out across the frigate's speaker system. The Rutanian then moved away and made his way back to Arlan's side whom was looking over the men already gathered about. His eyes found their way to Briar who The Carrion Company had hired to oversee the actual mining of the ore. He seemed a bit green when Arlan was going over his credentials, but he was sure to know more than Arlan about mining. A nod would be cast his way as Arlan crossed his arms behind his back and looked to Feeran and smiled.

"I have a good feeling about this little trip Feeran. When the rest gather down here I might just be able to whoop up spirits before we make landfall." Arlan said with a smirk, inciting only a shake of the head from Feeran. It would take an hour or so before all the people going aground on Concordia actually gathered for Arlan's last word on things, but it would be four or so more hours before their ship actually touched down at the mining site. Before then Arlan needed to have a word with his newly appointed security consultant, and Briar whom would lead the mining team in it's endeavors. The success of this operation would rely on them, that fact made Arlan a little nervous. Not that he did not trust their abilities, just that he was so used to doing things on his own.

As Jaccer wandered around the armoury, preforming finals checks on armour and weaponry, a male voice would begin speaking through the ships communication system. "All ground operatives from the security and excavation teams make their way to the cargo hold for final instruction." Now the soldier knew where to go, the only problem was getting there.

Luckily it seemed that other personnel were also heading for the cargo area allowing Jaccer just to follow them. It didn't take long as the workers he was following were accustomed to the ship and found the quickest way to the location. Jaccer also managed to push himself into the first elevator which would head directly to the cargo hold.

Once he had arrived in the cargo hold it was already filled with people from both the mining teams and security teams. It was easy for Jaccer to tell the two teams apart and therefore he was already given a brief idea of who he would be working with. Next he would spot his employer, Arlan Zy'rosh. He imagined that Arlan would want a word with him before they made landfall. Jaccer already had a plan of how he would organise the security forces but he would have to check the plan with the CEO himself. As Jaccer approached his employer, he would offer his hand and formally introduce himself, as they had not done before, "Major Ramirez at your service. I believe I will be your security consultant for this operation. Is there anything you want to discuss before I begin preparing the men?"

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]
[member="Briar Thorn"]

Briar Thorn

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"] [member="Jaccer Ramirez"]

Briar was still keeping his head down when an announcement suddenly asked for all personnel to gather into the hold. He watched as people suddenly began to pour into the previously fairly open hold. He wasn't sure what to think of this especially because most of them were armed mercs. He was thinking of relocating to a more isolated spot when the captain walked up to him. He didn't know what to think of this at all. Had he done something wrong? Was he not suppose to be where he was at right now? Did they need him to fix something for them? There were so many questions racing through his mind and no answers. He smiled awkwardly to the intimidating man as he rubbed the back of his head. He just kept quiet and figured the man would tell him what was going on when he needed to know it.

Mandalorian Space
Descending To Concordia
Some time had passed, but not much, before people began streaming into the hold and filing into place. Most of the men he had brought along for this trip were fairly green when it come to conducting themselves in a combat situation but at least they were able to follow orders like hardened veterans. The choice to refute experienced soldiers in exchange for the cookie-cutters he had with him had been entirely Arlan's. This was a dangerous expedition, one that could well end with everyone involved dead, and Arlan just was not going to sacrifice the better of his soldiers on it. No, instead he brought about double the necessary number of his less trained men in hopes numbers would give them the advantage. Arlan's eyes were glued to them as they lined up before him, at least they gave off an air of hardened troops. In fact, Arlan doubted if anyone save for the most savvy of men would be able to tell the difference at all. Arlan chuckled and nodded to himself, but as he did a voice caught his attention.

It was Major Ramirez, Arlan's outsourced security consultant. With Arlan overseeing things on the ground and Feeran heading up the ships based operations, Arlan needed a man in the trenches with the security team to keep them in line. This man was the one to do that, or so Arlan hoped. "Major, glad you could make it." Arlan said with a smirk as he extended his hand towards the major. "You didn't get the best, but I think they will serve well enough all the same." Arlan motioned his head towards the gathering of men in the security team. "If you're half as good as your reputation I think you'll do fine, assuming we don't get an Basilisk War Droids dropped on top of us whilst were knee deep in ore." Arlan laughed loudly, then wiped his eyes. "Reports say this sector of the moon is rarely patrolled so we should be fine if we hurry things along."

Arlan thought hiring Ramirez had been foolish of him at first, but he was slowly coming around to the idea of having another experienced commander around in case things got hairy. It was as he shook the Major's hand that his eyes once again fell upon the young salvage teach loitering just out of plain sight. "And that one there will be your primary responsibility." Arlan pointed towards Briar. "Come here boy, meet the man responsible for your life."

Jaccer would listen intently as Arlan gave a briefing about the situation on Concordia and the security force. He would give a quick chuckle as Arlan mentioned the Basilisk War Droid. Though the Major had never seen one himself, he had heard stories of their ferocity and servitude in the name of Mandalorian people in ancient wars. It would indeed be a frightening sight if one were appear during this operation. At least a circumstance such as that would be incredibly unlikely. "Yes, that situation would be undesirable to say the least. I'd imagine that a mando war party would soon follow as well." Jaccer would say in response as his smile soon disappeared; he already had his fair share of conflict against the barbarians know as the Mandalorians, and he didn't wish for another any time soon.

Soon Arlan would attract the attention of a young boy, who was apparently under the responsibility of Jaccer, a role he did not realise would included in his job as security consultant. "And who may you be?" The soldier would ask the boy as he approached.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]
[member="Briar Thorn"]

Briar Thorn

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"] [member="Jaccer Ramirez"]

So it seemed that Briar hadn't done something wrong here, but he still tried to keep from making waves. The one who had hired him on and the man who's job it seemed to be keeping him alive were both intimidating men. They moved and carried a certain air about them that even Briar could tell how experienced the two men were. He still wasn't entirely sure what men like these could use with him for this kind of job, but he was still glad to be hired on for it.

Briar smiled nervously to the two men as he got waved over. He said as he came closer, " Hello there. Me name is Briar. I was hired on to be yar salvager. I'm not entirely sure what all ya need from me, or why ya even need me but I will work hard and do me best. It is a pleasure to meet the both of ya." He held out a hand for them to shake and shifted his weight nervously. He held onto the strap of his satchel with his other hand as he waited for them to shake his hand, answer, or be done with him.

Léon

The King's Buccaneer
Datapads were a curious thing. His mind was still wrestling with the concept as he walked into the hanger. His head was down, focused on the bright screen and its text that had been converted to Keshiri, his feet were on autopilot. He looked hardly the part of his role, dressed in knee-length riding boots, black trousers and a tight grey tunic, a leather jerkin was draped over his shoulders and he wore dyed-black leather gloves. At his hip was a dagger made of bone with a crude hilt, and a sheathed hand-and-a-half sword. He also had a blaster on him, but it was more for show. He still needed further practice in the field.

With his eyes glued to the datapad, he looked more the child playing with a toy than a man partly responsible for Arlans men. His attention shifted instantly, the datapad was slipped away into a pouch, but its bright screen still illuminated through the cloth, he had not figured out how to set it to rest mode. His eyes focused on the men, then Arlan and those invited along. He had been in the Carrion Company for less than a full moon and he was still working things out, especially the technology side of things. Just over half the time he was meant to clock off at work he forgot to, and so the machine never registered him as having left, the same went for when he went to work. It was a real annoyance in the offices.

With the guidance of a teacher, utilizing, as far as he could understand, some form of magic portal located on the screen, he was able to see his tutor thousands of star systems away and he was told how to operate day-to-day technologies, but blaster training would have to take place elsewhere. Galactic Basic was still an incredible hurdle, as was reading and writing. For now, he could spell his name in Galactic Basic. Léon moved into line with the other troops, and kept himself at the ready. His gloved hand draped over the wooden hilt of the bone dagger, the bone affixed to place by knots and strings. A crude weapon.

[member="Briar Thorn"] | [member="Jaccer Ramirez"] | [member="Arlan Zy'rosh"] |

Mandalorian Space
Descending To Concordia
Arlan smiled as he listened to Briar, more out of amazement than amusement. He seemed the squeamish sort, easily frightened and deterred. Arlan just could not wrap his head around why such a young lad would risk a venture like this one, nut then again Arlan had done worse for less credits in his day. Still, Arlan did not want to put off the only one he brought along that could supervise the extraction of the Mandalorian Iron Ore so he kept a cordial face. A hand would be extended towards Briar, welcoming him to the crew officially since he had stayed hidden away for most of the trip, and then Arlan would look to his motley band of companions gathered before him and chuckle. For the first time in Arlan's life, his plans seemed to be going as expected. Not often did his musing come to fruition, though there was still a long time left in this particular venture, but he felt good about things as they were now.

"Briar, glad you could join us. We'll all be relying on you for the length of this trip." Arlan took back his hand and attempted to pat the boy on his shoulder. "Your excavation team will be the one doing to actual work on this operation, you'll have to lead them right." Arlan nodded and laughed. "Try to forget where we're going, no matter what happens your only job is to move Beskar onto the ship alright?" His voice got a bit deeper, carrying a more serious tone. "Unless we get hit by a clan's raiding party I think Major Ramirez here has enough men to stave off most threats." Arlan looked to the major and nodded before turning back to Briar. "I wouldn't knowingly risk the lives of any of the men on this ship, but it's best to prepare for anything." Arlan took a moment, placing his hands upon his hips and looking towards the two outsiders he had brought on to help see things done. Briar may well have seemed a tad green in terms of combat, but there was a lot more to being a man than knowing how to shoot a blaster. Nodding once more, Arlan reassured himself that Briar was the perfect choice for this operation.

It was then Arlan noticed Leon making his was into formation with the others, after which Arlan quickly waved him over. Leon was still getting used to life off of Kesh, but so far he had proved to be a valuable member for The Carrion Company. Primarily, Arlan had brought Leon along to get used to working in large groups and the standard way the company handled things, but there was a bit more to it than that. Leon was a trained soldier, perhaps not in the way Arlan or Major Ramirez was, but a soldier all the same. If things did go south and their group was attacked by a group of Mandalorians having Leon along would be a great boon. "Leon, come meet the others keeping this operations running smoothly." Arlan yelled towards the Keshiri.

"Anyhow, things will go like this." Arlan said when Leon was in earshot. "Major Ramirez will be in charge of the security forces on the ground, his team will be in charge of protecting the mining team headed by you Briar." Arlan continued. "Feeran will remain on the ship, monitor scanners to warn us in advance if something comes our way. Myself and Leon will be on over-watch, checking the surrounding area and ensuring nothing surprises us." Pointing to each one of them as he said their name and role, Arlan tried his best to make sure everyone was up to date on exactly what they needed to do. For a moment he said nothing, brooding over what he needed to emphasize on, but before he could speak again he was interupted.

"Touchdown in excavation area in t-minus thirty minutes." Feeran's voice crackled over the intercom.

"Well, I hope everyone's ready. Looks like time is officially up."

[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] |[member="Briar Thorn"] |[member="Léon"]

"Bloody pish that is, ye pile ay scrap." Yngvarr spat out the words at the droid along with the fluid that was a moment earlier in his mouth. "Ye call that ale ?"
"But sir, Commander Zy'rosh has handpicked this ale for the company. It's-"
"Not ale. Ye humans know drinks as much as a gravel bag." The Valkyri interrupted and stood up, his 2.20 figure quite intimidating amongst the rest of the mercenaries who were enjoyin themselves in the mess hall. "Pish off now."

Yngvarr looked around as the droid quickly left the Valkyri's area of wrath. If it had emotions, it would probably be feeling glad of doing so.
The massive man donned in his armor, without his helmet, was a formidable being. Thick furs covered most of his armor, something typical for his kind since they were born and bred on the frigid planet of Midvinter. He had been for a couple of years across the galaxy working as a gun for hire alone, he knew well that if he did not look as scary as he did, the other members of Carrion Company who had been part of the Company much longer than him would have reprimanded him. Now they were only giving him disapproving looks for interrupting the little time they had for resting and enjoying themselves. Yngvarr was fresh blood within the Carrion Company, he had recently joined with the sole purpose of bettering his chances on getting fortune. There was not much left for him else after having such a negative reputation and popularity amongst his kin. The man occassionaly went home because he sorely missed it but there was not much for him to do there.

Arlan Zy'rosh said:
All ground operatives from the security and excavation teams make their way to the cargo hold for final instruction."

A voice boomed through the frigate's communication system cutting Yngvarr's thoughts. It was time to get ready for his first operation with this mercenary company. He was looking forward to see how capable they were if any fighting was to occur. What he knew was this was a risky mining operation. Mining a material called beskar, a Mandalorian iron. Yngvarr did not know much more, only that the Mandalorian were quite the warrior culture. It would be a pleasure if the Valkyri could test their strength in combat, if that was to happen. With a grimace observing everyone, the intimidating mercenary left the mess hall towards the cargo hold. His armaments were with him, he did not like leaving them at armories at the hands of others. Not yet, at least.

By the time Yngvarr arrived at the cargo hold, he was just on time for the short brief by the Commander of the Company.

Arlan Zy'rosh said:
"Anyhow, things will go like this. Major Ramirez will be in charge of the security forces on the ground, his team will be in charge of protecting the mining team headed by you Briar. Feeran will remain on the ship, monitor scanners to warn us in advance if something comes our way. Myself and Leon will be on over-watch, checking the surrounding area and ensuring nothing surprises us."
Looking at the commander's glances, the Valkyri remembered to who the names belonged. He nodded at Arlan while joining the row of soldiers that were to deploy on the ground. As the same voice on the communications system of the frigate boomed through the cargo hold, Yngvarr's face was painted with an enthusiatic smile. The man put his slugthrower from his back in to his hands and with a grin spoke to those around him.

"Ye better not color yer panties if ye see someone shooting at ya." His laughter echoed through the cargo hold while he waited the deployment.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"] [member="Léon"] [member="Briar Thorn"] [member="Jaccer Ramirez"]

"Copy that sir. Lets get this operation rolling." Jaccer would walk to the rows of security personnel under his command. Most of the warriors looked glum, supposedly because they knew where they were going and the dangers they were being faced with, however, one man, in particular, caught the attention of the Major. This man had a smile plastered on his face and was enjoying some banter with the other soldier who were standing at attention. An attitude like that would not be accepted in the military Jaccer was familiar with, although, this was not the military.

The Major would approach Yngvarr, coming within a few inches of his face. Jaccer would speak seriously and with authority, "What are you finding so funny?" This would not be said with hostility, only curiosity. Being the tough military officer was the natural role Jaccer would usually take in combative situations such as this, however, today he would attempt to be different. He would instead try to be more welcoming and friendly towards those he would be working with. This mission would be smoother if the soldiers respected the Major and his authority. If the Mandalorians were to attack, the last thing Jaccer would need was a soldier not following his orders and potentially derailing everything.

(OOC: sorry for the late and short post. I wasn't getting any @mention notifications. My Bad)

[member="Yngvarr of Alkheim"]
[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]
[member="Léon"]
[member="Briar Thorn"]

Briar Thorn

Briar just nodded to the man in charge of everything as he spoke. It would seem that Briar was in charge of salvaging things for the operation. He wondered why no other salvager would take up the job though, but the danger involved in it was probably the reason why. The man in charge of him though and his well being seemed like he had a lot of experience and really knew what he was doing. He was going to find out though if he did soon enough and had no doubt he wouldn't be surprised by the results.

Briar began to follow the man in charge of him as they headed where they needed to go to. Along the way they ran into a big man with a big beard. He didn't act with the discipline of the other men around them, and was more like a drunk at a bar than a mercenary. Briar hadn't seen many mercs though so for all he knew this man could be what most of them are actually like. Briar didn't take any offense to the man's behavior, but Ramirez certainly did. He confronted the man in a drillmaster like fashion, and things were about to get a little heated up for sure. Briar got a little distance from them just in chance violence broke out. He didn't like the idea of getting caught up in anything that might happen.

[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] [member="Yngvarr of Alkheim"] [member="Arlan Zy'rosh"] [member="Léon"]

Mandalorian Space
Surface of Concordia
A few hours had past since the groups descent, and already the respective teams had began their duties. Arlan waited near the ship, a comm-link clenched within his fist as he barked out order at a few new recruits that couldn't quite seem to get their acts together. Thankfully, there had been no incidents thus far and all things were running fairly smoothly as operations of this type go. The security team lead by Major Ramirez had set up a perimeter watch around Briar's mining team whom were already cutting into the moon's surface where scans indicated a high Beskar reading. It wasn't often Arlan could actually enjoy the fluidity of things, but still he kept his nerves on edge. This was no time to relax and smell the roses, this was day one of a month long endeavor if they hurried. At any moment things could go tits up and they'd have to pull out with little to nothing to show for it. Arlan was prepared to fight, that is not to be doubted, but dying for a hunk of iron was not on his to do list. So, as it were, Arlan stood with Feeran surveying the area as his men mined for Beskar about a hundred yards from his position.

"Calm down. Things are going too well for you to be worked up." Feeran chastised Arlan. "Wait till we're being shot at before you have a heart attack."

"Maybe I should have brought more experienced men. Look at those recruits, they can't even rotate shifts correctly." Arlan pointed to a pair of men exchanging duties.

"The decision you made was for the good of the company, not this venture." Feeran spoke in his usual monotonic manner. "Remember that."

"I know, i know." Arlan agreed. "Sometimes though, I'd like to be selfish and damn everyone but myself."

"It's not in your nature Arlan." Feeran smiled. "It's just not in your nature."

There was no point in arguing with Feeran, he was a stubborn old Rutanian that never conceded defeat. Arlan had learned years ago that when he spoke it was best to just accept what he said as final and move on, but that didn't mean one had to like it. Arlan shrugged, turned from Feeran and yelled out towards another recruit that dropped his blaster. Patience was nice to preach, but in practice Arlan always found that the stick was far more effective than honey when someone needed convincing.

[member="Yngvarr of Alkheim"] | [member="Jaccer Ramirez"] | [member="Briar Thorn"] | [member="Léon"]

Mandalorian Space
Surface of Concordia
The day had begun to drag on, a fact that made Arlan happy and agitated all at the same time. He had found long ago that when things began to feel boring, you could take solace in the fact things were going your way. Such was the case on the surface of Concordia as The Carrion Company's little mining venture continued without a hitch, well without a serious one anyway. The security team was sloppy, held together by nothing save for Major Ramirez's leadership; the mining team moved slow, Briar trying his best to make up the time; and the air was so humid it stuck to skin like and adhesive. None of those were favorable facets which made them even worse when combined, but still things could be worse. Arlan knew full well that he could have been thrust into some unknown horror as soon as he touched down on the moon. He knew that instead of tripping over themselves and making a fool of the company, the young men he brought along could have been dying for next to nothing. Above all else though, he knew he had gotten lucky. Luck was not something Arlan liked to hinge on, but today he figured he's take it all in stride.

"Feeran." Arlan called out over the com-link. "What's the status of the mining team?"

"They're at near ten percent capacity right now." Cam a delayed response. "They struck a right vein of Beskar, yield should double in the next few hours."

That was good, very good. If this route persisted Arlan and his men could very well leave towards the end of the week. Though he did not want to rush thing, Arlan did not wish to linger either. The sooner and his men made their presence on this moon scarce, the sooner he could truly relax and get back to his real line of work.

[member="Briar Thorn"] | [member="Jaccer Ramirez"] | [member="Yngvarr of Alkheim"] | [member="Léon"]

Léon

The King's Buccaneer
Léon was a skilled pathfinder. It was one of his 'specializations' in the Carrion Company, or so he was told. No one else was as capable as him at surviving and thriving of the land, and finding the best routes through the countryside. He thought nothing of it until someone mentioned that most people in the galaxy grew up in cities and had rarely seen the wild forests of distant planets. It was a valuable skill, and one he was utilizing at this very moment.

He was moving through a thicket, he had heard a communicator buzz with chatter, it was Mandalorian and his updated translator sent the audio feed into his earpiece. Something about one of the voices was distinctly familiar. Like an old friend. His leather boots squished gently against the soil, keeping his profile low to the ground and his movements slow so as to not alert them. But not slow enough that the mans radar didn't pick up his life signature.

The man leapt onto his feet, faster than he thought was possible for someone in such bulky armor. He was caught by surprise, it reminded him of Kesh. The horned helmet, the fur belt shoulders, the tooth hanging from the necklace. "Léon!?" the Mandalorian exclaimed in confusion. The stranger reached up and removed his helmet, and Léon quickly relaxed, and laughed. "Lord of the Vale of Dreams," Léon said, taking a deep bow to the Mandalorian. "What're you doing here, kid?" Lord Gaius asked, Léons translator burped, "I was employed for a mining op. I'm scouting the area to make sure no one is watching."

The tall warrior stroked his chin, "I am, and I was just about to call it in. I'll tell you what, if not for your help at the Vale, I wouldn't have had such a successful campaign. I'll turn my head and double back, I didn't see anything." Léon was a bit puzzled, he didn't quite understand the rarity of Beskar, or why the Mandalorians found it to be so worthy of sacrifice to defend it. Surely a lump of rock was not worth dying for. "Come with me back to camp, enjoy some tea," Léon offered. Lord Gaius shook his head, he couldn't be caught at the mining operation. It would be dishonorable to let them scurry off with Mandalorian ore.

As quickly as their meeting had come, Lord Gaius was gone. It felt like an odd dream. It had been years since he had seen the man. He had known he was a galactic interloper, travelling from planet to planet, but it was an impossibly big galaxy, surely such a meeting was exponentially unlikely. It had happened nonetheless, and he was thankful for meeting him again. He made his way out of the thicket, saw the retreating back of the Mandalorian, and the Keshiri turned away and made a path back to camp.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

Since landfall Jaccer had been organising the soldiers under his command around the mining site and had been doing his best to ensure that they were all in their places and ready for potential engagements. Although, Jaccer was but on man and he himself could not be in two different places at once, let alone the fifty different locations this job currently required him to be in. For the Major, and anybody else watching, it was easy to tell the veteran soldiers from the newbies. These newbies were the ones that he had to keep an eye on particularly.

After Jaccer had finished briefing a team of twenty soldiers about their stations around the perimeter of the site, he would notice two seemingly incompetent soldier among the other. These two were waving their weapons everywhere and shouting jokes to eachother as if they were one-hundred meters away from one another. "You two," Jaccer shouted to them, obstructing their jokes, "over here now!" By commanding them over to him, Jaccer showed his authority and would hopefully cause them to show some respect. As expected the soldiers would sprint to the officer and come to attention. Both the posture and the alertness of the two was acceptable for the decorated Republic Military officer, they would need to be taught a lesson before they were to be briefed.

"A soldier must always expect the unexpected..." Before continuing, Jaccer would grab hold of the first soldier's weapon and force it into his hands, "And to me, you do not look ready for anything. Keep your hands on your weapons at all times." After releasing his grip on the weapon, he would turn to the horizon and speak again, "​We don't know if or when a Mandalorian battle group will charge over that hill. So be prepared. Your life, and all other lives in this mine rely on you. Don't. Be. Stupid."

Jaccer would allow the two a second for this to sink in. Of course, now they were clutching their weapons like they were their own children; it could be assumed that the lesson had been learnt.

"Also," Jaccer would begin to speak to the men once again, "I have set up sentry duties five-hundred meters out in the North, the South and the West. It is your job to man the East sentry post." Usually, this was all Jaccer would have to say but these were not trained marines like he was familiar with. He thought that it would be best if he explained what a sentry was to these two soldiers, "A sentry post is quite simple; you will take a radio, your rations, a range finder, your weapons and yourselves. You will find a concealed location with a view of the surrounding area. You will spend as long as necessary in that location, keep your eyes out for any and all hostile behaviour and radio in with details about positioning and location if a combative circumstance should arise. When you leave ensure you leave nothing behind." This final sentence would repeated. "Again, leave nothing behind." Jaccer repeated this in order to emphasize it's importance. Neither Jaccer or The Carrion Company wanted their presence to be known on Concordia at any time.

After a "Yes Sir!" each, the soldiers would scuttle away and begin preparing for their mission.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]
[member="Briar Thorn"]

Mandalorian Space
Surface of Concordia
Arlan smiled as he saw the Major giving a couple of recruits the what-for. A good thing to because if he hadn't that would have meant that Arlan would be the one having to whip them into shape. If he couldn't count on his security team leader to do that much then he would have had no reason to bring him alone after all. As it were though, the Major seemed to be doing his job and then some. Meanwhile Arlan was overseeing the majority of the operation form his command post with Feeran, both relieved and peeved on how things were progressing. Yes, the mining team had picked up the pace by quite a degree but all in all they were still behind Arlan's newly projected schedule. It wouldn't take much of a push to get things back on time, but the miners were already working at capacity. Briar seemed to at least be keeping his men on their toes but Arlan did not want to push them over the edge by demanding more so soon. He had seen operations go tits up when men were overworked, and he would not make that mistake. Until they were done extracting the ore he would have to sit tight and ensure the safety of the mining team, damn the risks. If The Carrion Company were here for an extra day or so what could the harm truly be?

"Feeran." Arlan called out over the com-link. "Do a role call and check all the sentry guards status. If something is moving out there I want to know about it." Arlan demanded. "Radio Briar and tell him to take his time. We aren't in a hurry, yet."

[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] | [member="Léon"]

Briar Thorn

[member="Jaccer Ramirez"] [member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

There was something about watching all of the mercenaries scurrying around like crazy that reminded Briar of watching his dad order around new droids back home on Lothal. He stood around taking everything in for a bit before he decided to go check on the mining equipment. He didn't have any experience with security or organizing people, but he did have experience with checking out machinery and making sure it worked. He dove straight into the task of inspecting the mining equipment. He wasn't sure what all they were using though, but he was checking out what he did see. He wanted to make sure nothing happened mid mining, because he had heard enough horror stories of cave ins in mines.

Briar was in the middle of doing his self appointed task when he heard something over his com about taking his time. He sat back to take a break with grease and oil already on his hands, face, and clothes. He said over the com, " I'll be sure to take me time. I did want to know what kind of equipment yall brought along though. Are we dealin' with man powered drills or usin' minin' droids? I want to take a look over all the equipment before we get started. Best to prevent any avoidable problems right?" He waited for an answer as he sat down catching his breath. People didn't realize how hot and tiring it was having your head inside of machinery for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom