Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Paths

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

There were a lot of things in this galaxy that were a mystery to Rose. Her job was uncovering some of those mysteries.

She’d spent the better part of the last few months mapping a section of the outer rim that until very recently had been left completely and totally unexplored. There was no one to blame for that of course, the Galaxy was a big place, and for many in it The Outer Rim was simply...unimportant. Many within the core simply cared about what was immediately around them, the development of Coruscant, Anaxes, and the other purse worlds.

Rose couldn’t really blame them for that, such things were after all rather important. To her however, and others within the GUIDE, the Outer Rim was in fact important. There were entire civilizations that had never met the rest of the galaxy, whole species that had never been discovered, and other things that were simply mind-blowing to think of.

For Rose, uncovering those things was important.

Of course, once those civilizations and planets had been mapped, there was the key component of actually keeping in contact with them. It was one of the few things that would allow for development within the galaxy, and that was why she was here today.

The expansion of hyperlanes wasn’t something she was exactly versed in, but charting unknown space? That was well within her wheelhouse.

She shifted slightly within the small chair, waiting for her partner on this particular trip to show up.

To say he invited [member="Rose Kuhn"] out into this little sector of black just to forge a new hyperlane would be a little simplistic, although that's how he had pitched it to GUIDE. Of course he wanted a hyperlane extension in order to move goods easier throughout this sector of the 'verse. Knowing more about the sector was another bonus. Salacia was looking to expand northward and push up, away from Silver Jedi territory. Much was unknown, especially when vessels started to skirt the edge of the 'verse.

Doing the mapping today was one Miss Kuhn, a familiar name to himself. Judah was good friends with her step-mother, [member="Danger Arceneau"] .Despite knowing the Kuhn-Arceneau family, he lacked a great deal of knowledge on the cartographer herself. Given the reputation of the name, Judah knew the mapping and cataloging was going to go along smoothly.

Booted feet advanced quietly to her location, with Judah giving a knock against an entryway frame to announce his presence.

"Miss Kuhn? Judah Dashiell, I apologize for being a bit tardy."

"Rose." She said as she quickly stood from the small table. She had never met Judah before, though she was well aware that the man had some sort of friendship with her step-mother.

When she had sent her last message to her father and Danger she'd received word back almost immediately. When one was not in the middle of the outer rim it was nice to actually be able to send and receive holo-mail almost instantly, one of the perks of civilization she supposed. Either way, she was at least aware that Judah knew her family somewhat, and that made her slightly more comfortable than running around with a random stranger.

Not that it would matter much.

"It's quite alright." Rose went on. "I wasn't waiting long anyway."

That wasn't exactly true, Rose had actually shown up fifteen minutes early and had been sitting here the entire time, but she wasn't about to say that.

Either way, she was excited for this project. It was not something that she had done before, and mapping a hyperlane was something that looked fantastic on a resume. She had prepared a number of tools on her ship and had dragged out every piece of information she possibly could on the sectors that they were heading towards, now they just actually had to make their way down the trade routes...and not run into any trouble on the way.

[member="Rose Kuhn"]

He paused slightly, outstretching his hand to shake hers. There was an uncertainty of calling the girl by her first name, but they would be working together for some time on the hyperlane project. He had no objection in doing so, its just he would automatically revert back to the 'Miss' if he wasn't paying close enough attention.

"Rose, of course."

Judah moved around the table, waiting for Rose to sink back into her seat before taking his.

"Glad you weren't waiting too long. Now, in my original message I did note we're looking to expand a hyperlane straight to Tabaqui or somewhere close in the region. Tygara is an option. Caeliar....well....I've heard things about that planet. May not be wise to end a space lane there."

" I don't expect you to know much about the region. I still don't know much about the region. Its a bit of a mystery out here. We do need someone to map out and help us decide to take our next steps. A great deal of the planning has remained in a bit of a gray area until your survey is complete."

"The GUIDE database might have something." Rose said, though she didn't sound too confident. They had been putting together information on most regions of space for quite some time now, but...well the galaxy was a big place. One could spend a hundred lifetimes exploring sector after sector and you'd still be hard pressed to say you explored a percent of a percent of a single quadrant. It was frustrating, but in a way it was also a blessing.

An explorer needed something to explore, and right now...there was always something new.

"I'd be happy to do the job though." She continued on. "I think it'd be best if we charted a general path first, then explored the region of that path."

They had a pretty good general picture of the galaxy itself, an overview if you would. Long range sensors, radio telescopes, and probes had long since mapped a general guideline of the galaxy. It was the specifics that really became difficult, and when it came to hyperlanes specifics were really the important part. For instance, if you threw your hyperlane through the middle of an asteroid field sooner or later there would be a collision, and a hyperspace collision? That could wipe out an entire system.

Thus came the details, and to provide them came Rose.

Easy.

[member="Rose Kuhn"]

"I don't know Mis....er...Rose." Judah quickly corrected himself as the woman laid out her path. "I've spoke to several elders in the area. Its been quiet for some time out here. Its not a bad thing. I actually enjoy it. I think its exciting, its still amazing we don't know so much."

Pausing, datapad was brought out and he quickly typed in some information. An internal database would appear, causing his eyebrows to knit in concentration. It wasn't long before his search turned up what he was looking for.

"What would you require from myself Rose, besides credits of course. It appears I still have a handful of long-term exploration vessels hanging around. Wouldn't be too hard to staff them, although a bit of time would be needed. Takes a special person to want to head out and do such a thing."

”I have my own ship.” Rose said simply. A team would fit on The Wanderer easily enough, and Rose doubted that she would need a dozen vessels just to map a single path. It was actually relatively simplistic, every area of space had to be charted in some way, but if you were just creating a hyperspace route?

Well it was easier.

Mostly it was because space was really really big, so it wasn’t entirely about knowing where everything was at once, rather it was more about knowing where...it wasn’t. The idea was simple, avoid all the suns, black holes, planetoids that you could. How did you do that? By sending something with long-range sensors out to find where those things are and how to best get around them.

Multiple ships would make that somewhat easier, but Rose was pretty confident she could do it by herself, or at the very least, with only one or two vessels at her back. It helped that she had data from The GUIDE at her back as well as her fathers own exploration vessels.

”Perhaps one or two more ships.” She said with some consideration. ”To faster map the path.”

That would make things go faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom