Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uniting the Tribes

James watched as the Tsubasano Senshi practiced in the field before him--at least fifty of them anyway. Their blades moved in series of well-defined actions, what Ujio, their trainer had told him was called a "Kata." As best as the Spacer could come to understand it was like target practice, a training mechanism to stay sharp on their skills.

"My Lord," said the familiar voice of Katsumoto behind him, "You wanted to see me?"

James turned and smiled at him from the porch. It was Katsumoto's house. By most standards it was "primitive" no running water, no electricity, a thatched roof and all the other houses around were like it. But it was their culture, Katsumoto explained, it was what they were used to. It had been a month since James had met Katsumoto. The land had been given as promised. The houses had been set up, the tribe had begun to till the field, the seeds were taking root. Life had never been better than it was now for the Tsubasano Senshi.

James smiled and gave a half bow. It was clumsy but an attempt at their culture. A culture he was learning more about every day, "Tell me, Katsumoto, how are you and your people enjoying their new homes?"

"It is very gracious of you, my lord, we have never been better," Katsumoto said. "You have given us everything you promised and more."

James half-smiled, pleased, "As long as I can help people, that is what matters to me."

Katsumoto took several steps, taking his place beside James. The two of them watched as the warriors in the field flourished their weapons. Every move was precise. Calculated. Planned. Honed down to maximum efficiency and damage.

"I wish to go see my brother," Katsumoto said after several moments.

James looked at Katsumoto. His surprise was clear, "You never told me you had a brother."

"The head clan is only to have one child, one heir to lead the people," Katsumoto explained, "This prevents any disputes of who can and should rule the land."

"But?"

"We were twins," Katsumoto answered. "It could not be decided who would lead, until we were thirteen, when it was decided I would, being three minutes older. He was embittered. When father died and I was given control, he left, taking almost half of the tribe with him," he fell silent for a moment, "I have not seen him in over ten years."

James studied Katsumoto's stoic face, "I am coming with you."

Katsumoto, his son Nobutada, their field marshal Ujio, and Katsumoto's bodyguard and mentor Bob all saddled up on pack animals to ride. James had offered to let them take speeders, but the traditionalists rejected them. It was not just a shame to them, but it was something beyond their understanding and comfort. The ride back across the equator into the wasteland was long, taking several days. Slowly the land changed from easy going and grass covered to a rock, barren harsh desert. Several rocks were suspended in the air, along with corpses. James looked at them all with a slight grimace. More death, their age was untellable. Perhaps they had died under the moon Verga's crushing nature, the same one that suspended these rocks in the air.

As James looked away, he grit his teeth. Images of the past flashed into his mind. Faces of the dead. Their screams. Their last moments before he sent them into nothingness. When did I become such a monster? James asked himself.

"Men who have done what we do not need to feel the shame for it," Katsumoto said as if to answer James' question.

"You have no idea what I have done," James said in a soft voice.

"I know that you took a clan in and helped them get set into a better place," Katsumoto answered, "I know that you helped to rescue our women and children."

James' dull and lifeless eyes snapped into fiery anger. He looked into Katsumoto's face and rage threatened to take him over once more.

"I have killed, and killed, slaughtered without remorse, an endless, trail of death leads to my door," James hissed through clenched teeth. "Bodies of the sons who only were doing their job, I killed them. I took them from their mothers and I can't give that back."

His furry did not abate as he looked with pure rage into Katsumoto's face. For several minutes they rode in silence.

"But you gave them death with honor," Katsumoto said at last quietly. "We will die, you gave them the honor of dying for what they believed in and one day, I will do the same. As will you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom