Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Under the Stars

THE EMPIRE
SCAR SQUADRON

501st Legion
Siyndacha Aerin Siyndacha Aerin

It was getting dark and they were far from where they were supposed to be. A lifetime of reliance on technology had left Katja's map-reading skills with much to be desired. What she lacked in orientation though, she made up for in confidence and so she maintained that they were on course.

All of their usual technological comforts left behind since they didn't work on the planet anyway. Not even her armour, which was almost wholly reliant on its technology, would be much use so they were going old-school. It reminded her of early training before they got given all the fancy gadgets that came with spec ops.

Standing with her hands on her hips as she surveyed the wooded area, she seemed satisfied enough with the area and made the executive decision to set up camp. "This is nice." She proclaimed before setting her backpack on a fallen tree and working to gather some of the sticks in the area which she unceremoniously dumped in a pile.

"Can't you use the Force and set that on fire or something?" She asked the Knight, pointing to the stick pile.

She had been friendly enough to the other thus far, despite being somewhat wary of her. Still, she was silently judging her companion, subconsciously comparing herself to the other woman who seemed to be skilled at catching attention.

k5OxX9f.png

ERRANT HEIR
THE ORDER OF IMPERIAL KNIGHTS

501st STORMTROOPER LEGION

Katja Javik Katja Javik
X5Yx2PB.png
They were indeed far from where they were supposed to be, but not too far, so she remained silent on the matter. They were as-yet in no danger of missing their objective. Unlike the SCAR operative, she had been subjected to several analog periods at different points in her life, firstly by a cruel hand that had essentially thrown her ‘off the deep end’ during her childhood, then years later within her training as an Imperial Knight - the Knights were meant to be exceedingly adaptable, the ideal result of significant investment. But even without that specific intent being hammered into her by her handlers and late mentor, she would likely still have the force-borne ability to find her way around any location, an excellent sense of direction... and the discipline to set it mostly aside and let the Hapan take the reins to see how she managed. Ostensibly to know her better.

Regardless, this was a nice place. “It’s very… open,” she said, both agreeing and not agreeing, letting out a deep breath she’d taken in, along with her response. In some ways the openness was good, in other ways it could be a problem... if they were somewhere else, but the relative peace and quiet was nearly alien. Vaguely disconcerting. She was used to the ever-present din of the city life of Ravelin, or the hum of the Star Dreadnought they both lived on at present, or the chaos of the battlefield. She looked up to the sky where stars slowly appeared as darkness progressively fell over the land, while the other woman gathered sticks. For a brief moment or two, Aerin admired the view above that was making itself known before her mind switched over to considerations of celestial navigation and astrogation. Domains of travelling upon seas, and in skies and space. Her mind was always on.

That is, until the blonde dropped the gathered sticks in a disjointed pile, the noise and the query snapping the meandering of the Knight’s thoughts. Her chin lowered and she turned her head slightly, flicking a look at Javik that said the medic had the entire measure of her attention for that fleeting moment… then she glanced down at the pile of sticks. She turned fully to face the other, her arms folded.

“Friction would work,” she replied, but then recanted that after a couple seconds, “but friction will take too long.” They would need light and warmth quite soon. Siyn went to the fallen tree, slipped her pack off and set it on the great log, then took the handful of steps to the pile of sticks, crouched, and began stripping the leaves that clung to a few branches for tinder. She set the leaves in a little pile with some of the thinnest twigs, then glanced up at Javik, her hand hovering over over the small pile. “It should only take a small electrical spark, but I suggest you back up a bit, in case,” she informed.

She wasn’t taking any chances. Once there was enough distance, Siyn projected a spark, a rather small tendril of electricity at the dry leaves, and small licks of fire sprung nigh-immediately. She watched the fire take hold, prodding it with one of the more sturdy sticks, tending to it.

“What do you think of…” She lifted her gaze after a handful of moments, looking up at Katja again from her crouch, then she indicated the sky with the stick in her hand, “...when you look up in a place like this?”

Most others didn't think the way she did, or anywhere near to that extent.

Last edited:

THE EMPIRE
SCAR SQUADRON

501st Legion

It had been highlighted early on in training that an over-reliance on technology could be the difference between life and death. They were required to be self-sufficient without the comfort of armour and its accompanying tools and she was - for the most part. Though in training, she had the benefit of being placed in a squad with an adept navigator, rendering any input from herself useless. It wasn't exactly a skill she had needed to utilise often since.

Despite their somewhat askew trail, she remained adamant that she knew what she was doing, even if she acknowledged that they were perhaps not exactly on course. It wasn't arrogance but rather a sense of duty as she considered it to be her responsibility to lead them. The Knight would have her own responsibilities too.

Katja looked over her shoulder at the other woman as she seemingly challenged her choice of location but said nothing on the matter and continued shifting various pieces of wood to clear the area. She couldn't imagine that Imperial Knights spent much time sleeping outside. They seemed like they would have a more... luxurious lifestyle in comparison.

The trooper stood watching the Knight decide the best course of action, waiting with her hands on her hips as Siyn determined that friction might be a suitable method.

I know how to make a fire.

She thought to herself, but it seemed Siyn decided to use the Force, as she had suggested in the first place. So, as told, she took a few steps back and watched as her companion produced a fire from a spark, slowly lighting the area with a warm glow as it grew from nothing.

Katja sat on the ground with her back against the log to settle down and eat but was interrupted by the Knight who wanted to share some profound thoughts with her. Did they take classes in existential thinking?

Still, she entertained the notion by looking up at the sky. It would be a boring evening without conversation.

She thought about the choices she had made which had led to her personal accomplishments but also the abandonment of her home planet. It wasn't that she minded the latter much, she had been an outcast there anyway, but it was still part of who she was. She wasn't sure how much was appropriate to share with someone she had only recently met and she had learned pretty quickly to keep attention off of her heritage after joining the Imperial Army. Not everyone was so welcoming. However, Siyn wasn't human either and could probably attest to different treatment as a result, so she replied honestly.

"I think of my home world." She replied before adding. "Ironically." There was no night on Hapes and so the presence of night reminded her of the fact that she was no longer there. "And how I'll probably never go back there." She concluded before reaching into her backpack to grab a pouch of food. She wasn't sure what her companion would be provided with so she had brought a few meals worth. "You want one or you brought your own..?" She asked, holding a spare pack up.

k5OxX9f.png

ERRANT HEIR
THE ORDER OF IMPERIAL KNIGHTS

501st STORMTROOPER LEGION

Katja Javik Katja Javik
X5Yx2PB.png

While awaiting a response to her query, and listening to what Katja had to say, the Imperial Knight-Errant continued to tend to, and add to the fire until it was strong enough that she could leave it with only cursory minding. She stood up from her crouch, and her eyes were drawn to the other woman again as she offered a pouch of food.

Siyndacha was provided with much the same fare as an attaché to the 501st, “I have my own, but thank you for the offer,” she replied, wandering over to her own pack to fish out a pouch, turning it over to check what it was, “ah, rice,” she muttered to herself appreciably, about the pouch of Kublag Curry. She knew it wasn’t going to taste better than the real thing, but it was acceptable for what it was.

“You don’t seem like a typical Hapan woman to me,” she said, remembering just how the blonde had conducted herself in Ravelin as she wandered back to the fire to warm up the pouch before eating it. “And I can’t imagine such a woman would fare very well within the Empire,” she conceded. That was all because of one of the differences between where each of them had come from; inheritance and governance were along the female line, yes, but at least on Eshan, men were equal in every other respect, “But… why the Empire?”

She could have just as easily thrown her lot in with their adversaries. The Hapes Consortium was a long-time supporter of Jedi-centric governments, after all. She set her pouch against a makeshift fence of branches, tented against the fire, and waited.

THE EMPIRE
SCAR SQUADRON

501st Legion

"Alright." She shrugged and dropped the spare into her backpack before tearing the corner of her own pouch with her teeth and then pulling it the rest of the way open. It was only after she had dug the spoon in that she realised her companion was heating hers up. It was so rare that she ate them warm that she had almost forgotten it was even an option. It didn't always make the food that much more palatable anyway.

Her attention was immediately drawn to the Echani with a curious expression, trying to decipher whether her observation was an insult or a compliment but her following comment prompted a brief chuckle from the Hapan and she nodded in agreement. "No, I can't imagine they would." Any Hapan in the Empire would need to conduct themselves well if they were to abide by its tenets. No one in the galaxy ought to have considered the Empire as the epitome of equality, yet it was still somehow more advanced than Hapes in that regard.

"I suppose I was raised to value different things like respecting someone for their actions rather than their status or the circumstances they were born into." She pondered. It wasn't though she had been taught to respect others in such a way but rather that she learned it through experience, namely due to her own low-social class.

It was a valid question and the answer was one tainted by her own prejudices. "There was nothing for me on Hapes. Social mobility is near impossible. Sure, I could've tried to join the Concord Service Corps or one of their defence forces but the Jedi always see themselves at the top. At least in the Empire you have to earn your way to the top. I mean look at Kriegan Tavlar, he has to work the same as the rest of us." She replied.

"But, then... I could ask you the same." She looked through the flames at her companion. It wasn't simply a matter of getting to know her compatriot but also to judge her. "I can't claim to know a lot about Eshan but I know it isn't in the Empire, at least... it isn't now. I don't know if it used to be. How did you find your way here?" She returned the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom