Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncharacteristic

There were only a handful of days in the month that Cedric had time for himself. Most of that leisure was spent meditating, training, or perusing the old histories of the Jedi Order. There was so much to digest, and so little time to do it in. In his attempts to chronicle what tidbits of old lore he could find, Cedric had grown obssessed. It was beginning to bleed into his work hours, and caused no end of annoyance for his secretary.

Now, however, was different.

It the anniversary of Ession's demise, and the anniversary of the death of his twin sister. Caida had been a better Jedi than he. Ever the calm one, ever compassionate, always willing to lend a hand even if it was unwanted. She'd embodied all the traits of a true Jedi Knight, and there was no one better suited to rebuilding the Order than her - or at least there hadn't been until a lightsaber had pierced her throat.

The two events had not occurred in the same year, though on the same day. Cedric's eternal foe was cruel in that way, and he had succeeded in causing the Jedi Master more than a hint of distress. Cedric had secluded himself today, locking himself in the private libraries of the palace so that he might not be disturbed.

Now, as before, he read. He tried to immerse himself into the deep histories of the Jedi, but memory was a powerful thing, and it had its hold on the Essonian. After another failed attempt at learning of a battle fought over Tython millennia ago, Cedric set the book down in frustration, and began to pace. One of the serving droids trilled at him from a few meters away, a glass of bright blue liquid on its tray.

"Thanks," the Jedi breathed as he took the glass, eagerly bringing it to his lips. The effects of the liquor were quick, and this had not been his first. It dulled his senses somewhat, but it also dulled the emotional spikes that come with recalling his losses. He cradled the glass closely as he wandered back over to his table, eager for another attempt at reading the old texts now that he was less distracted.

[member="Wrenarias"]

Life on Coruscant was... different, far different than what Wrenarias had grown accustomed to. For the past few years she'd been something of a nomad, always moving from one place to the next, constantly on the look out for that next clue or trying to figure out how to pay to reach it. Since coming to the core, however, she'd found that life was rather static.

A sedentary lifestyle did not suit the twi'lek woman in the least. Within two days of her arrival, Wren set about exploring the palace grounds. It was far grander in scale and luxury than anywhere she'd ever stayed before. While impressive, it was almost unsettling. She felt as if the very walls of the place screamed that she didn't belong. There were a few corridors she wasn't permitted to enter, but that was to be expected in a compound like this.

After yet another day of idly meandering the sprawling corridors, Wrenarias was retracing her steps back to her quarters. It was fairly late, the sun having set hours ago, but the darkness outside did nothing to perturb the pleasant glow of the palace's lights. She could see the flicker of red and white lights in the distance through the massive windows that spanned the outer wall of the corridor. The glass was so clean that it was easy to forget that she was standing inside. In the back of her mind, she wondered how many droids it took to keep them so spotless.

The hallway was empty except for her, most of the staff had turned in for the night it would seem.

Still gazing out the windows, Wren absently traced her fingertips along the tops of the decorative tables that lined the corridor, all of which were adorned with beautiful and exotic flowers. Her thoughts wandered, meandering in the same way that her feet carried her aimlessly through the palace.

She was so consumed in her thoughts that she didn't notice the doors to the private library along the inner wall slide open. A serving droid shuffled out with a tray of empty glasses on a tray, stepping directly into her path.

Her shoulder caught the droid's arm, knocking the tray to the floor. A few of the glasses shattered as they struck the floor, but Wren was able to catch two or three with the force before the entire set was annihilated.

"Kriffing stars, I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed, mortified to have been so clumsy.

The droid gave a pleasant, but bumbling, apology of its own, insisting that it was at fault.

She quickly bent down to pick up the tray, hurriedly handing it back to the droid along with the surviving glasses. "No, no. I should have been paying more attention. Why don't you take those to the kitchen? I'll clean this mess up."

Unsure of what to do, the droid looked between the mess and the glasses it now held once more. Conflicting codes and programming ran through the droid's processor, before the twi'lek waved it off.

"It's fine. I'll take care of this." She muttered, shaking her head.

The droid gave one last look, Wren imagined that it almost managed a bemused expression, before it ventured off to see to its original task.

Sighing to herself, Wren knelt once more to start collecting the broken shards of glass off the floor.

[member="Cedric Grayson"]

In other cases, Cedric would have been upset to have his inner sanctum breached. The library was his realm. No soldiers, officers, or anyone else of note were permitted. He'd made exceptions on rare occasions, but the knowledge kept here was far too dangerous for the eyes of most. The keys to unraveling the stars themselves were kept hidden within the dark corners of the Jedi Master's library, tomes of knowledge recovered over a lifetime of research.

He peered out into the hall curiously, his choleric reaction wavering for a moment as he reached out. Recognizing the presence of his padawan, Cedric rose, setting the glass neatly aside between a few books. His arms were folded across his chest as he strode out toward the shattered glass, a brow raised.

"You're going to give my droid a panic attack if you keep that up," he said by way of greeting as he held out a hand. The bits and pieces of glass she'd not collected danced up into the air, twirling like nightflies as he drew them to his palm.

"Welcome to my library," he added as he went to throw the shards in a corner trash can. "Normally I'd wait until you were a Jedi Knight to show you, but I suppose now is just as fine as later."

[member="Wrenarias"]

As the glass shards were pulled away by the Force, Wrenarias blushed slightly. She had a habit of doing things herself, instead of using the Force to do a task for her.

Awkwardly, she stood back up and wiped her hands off on the backs of her trousers, smiling sheepishly to Cedric. She hadn't expected to find him during her meandering, especially since it was so late.

"Oh..." She murmured, glancing up and down the corridor for a brief moment before she followed the Jedi Master into the library, entirely unsure as to what else she should do.

"Didn't mean to make such a mess, sorry about that." She fumbled a quick apology, shutting the door behind her.

"If I'm intruding," she said when she caught sight of the books sprawled across the table, "I can leave. I wouldn't want to interrupt your studies."

It was a little late now. His tranquility had already been disturbed - might as well embrace change.

"It's alright. Glass is fortunately replaceable." Cedric gave her a light shrug. "You don't need to leave. I suppose a bit of conversation would be healthy for me," another shrug as he turned about.

The library was deceptively large, though ti seemed far smaller due to the racks of bookshelves and dataslates. Several tables were arranged about the chamber, included a workbench that was covered in misplaced tools. The remains of a blue holocron were arrayed neatly between them all; the remnant of a project Cedric had been putting off for far too long. As they stepped further into the chamber, Wren would hear what sounded to be almost elevator music.

"You've caught me at an interesting time," Cedric settled onto one of the couches in the reading area, his glass of bluesky flying forth to meet his outstretched hand. "I've been somewhere between reading about old Jedi wars, and brooding, so a change of pace is welcome." He took a sip.

"How's Coruscant treated you thus far?"

[member="Wrenarias"]

As Cedric casually sank down onto one of the couches, Wren hesitated for a moment longer. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was still intruding somehow; but, he insisted that she was welcome to stay.

Her lips pressed into a thin line and she walked over to a chair opposite Cedric, plopping down onto the cushion, which was surprisingly comfortable. Like everything else in the palace, she'd expected the couch to be rather stiff and unyielding.

Out of sheer habit, she tucked her legs up onto the seat, curling up in the chair to get more comfortable. One of her arms propped up on the armrest, her chin coming to set in her palm as she watched the Jedi.

She was going to have to get accustomed to people asking questions about her. It was... new.

Her free hand lazily fiddled with the zipper to her jacket while she responded. Even if she was uncomfortable talking about herself, she still managed a warm smile.

"There's a lot to see. So far, I've spent most of my time exploring the palace grounds. I think tomorrow I might venture out into the lower city, see what I can find." She mused, chuckling a little to herself. It was still strange to be on Coruscant and have the freedom to do as she pleased -- certainly not something that she took lightly.

"What are you 'brooding' about, as you put it?"

Cedric fought the urge to laugh.

The brooding thing had become a bit of a running joke, though it did have more than a bit of truth to it. Cedric was quite known for taking time away from the affairs of those around him in search of solitude. Most had attributed to his work, which was true, but those closer to the Jedi understood that he often required solitude to retain his balance within the Force. Such things needed to be met immediately, lest they be ignored and allowed to fester.

"Today is the anniversary of Ession's demise, and the death of my sister," he answered plainly. The Jedi had grown rather desensitized to talking about it, so often had it been discussed. He did not mean to unload on Wren, but she'd asked. He took another sip from his glass before setting the neon drink aside, hands clasping together in front of him as he continued. "Generally I can retain my composure rather well, as all Jedi Master must. Sometimes, I'm afraid, my human physiology fails my sense of discipline and I have to take some times. Particularly on days like these."

[member="Wrenarias"]

Loss and heartache was something Wrenarias was well acquainted with. She empathized with Cedric and his sorrow. His home had been lost and destroyed... hers had betrayed her. A faint smile touched her lips, her pale eyes filled with warm understanding.

"Mmm... I'm sure today, of all days, it's understandable. Means you're a person, still. Not just a husk shuffling through life." She glanced around the library, taking in the sights about her. It was the first time she'd seen so many books and artifacts gathered in one place. Fascinating.

"I know it won't help, but for what it's worth, I am sorry for the pain you've endured."

"I dunno. I rather enjoyed going from mission to mission without being bothered. It's true what they say - serenity gets harder to find with experience," he mused as he leaned back into the sofa. There had been a time when nothing but purpose occupied the Jedi Master's mind. The little things had been inconsequential, and everything had been surprisingly simple. Cedric only needed to do his duty, and in that he was fulfilled. Growth and change had made things more complicated; taught him to put more stock in the small things.

It made life complex.

"I appreciate it," he sounded like he did. "It's been several years, so it's something I've learned to deal with. Ession's been in the heart of the people for a long time now." A sip was taken, the sharp flavor of the drink burning down his throat. "I wasn't actually present for the beginning of the attack. My fleet showed up at the edge of the system mid-bombardment. We did what we could, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to slow them."

The drink was set down, and Cedric fought the urge to frown. "It's a different galaxy these days."

[member="Wrenarias"]

"Heh... time helps, but it never really goes away, does it?" She mused, turning her gaze back to Cedric.

She took a breath and then slowly exhaled.

"I'm proving to be a rather dismal distraction." Wren said with a low chuckle, dropping her palm away from her chin. "I don't mean to make you relive painful memories. Would you rather talk about something else?"

Her weight shifted once more.

"Or does it help to talk about it?"

"Not so much, no. You get used to things, but knowing the place you spent most of your life is gone...well," he gave a light shrug. He surprised himself with his general neutrality toward the topic. The feelings were there, but they were distant, murky. He knew how it was supposed to make him feel, but he did not experience it himself. The Jedi was unsure as to whether or not that was a good thing. "Coruscant is a lot like Ession. Similar culture, similar makeup. It's almost like home. Almost."

The serving droid came waddling in, another tray of beverages in its tinny hands. It waddled on over to the duo, setting the tray down on the center table between them. "Thanks bud," The droid tweeted in reply before doddering back off down the hall.

"Well, let me offer you a drink first," he gestured toward the tray - various alcoholic beverages were arrayed. "Sometimes it helps to talk, other times it's better to move on. As for right now," he took another sip of his own, "Well, I'd offer you a lesson, but I think my skills might be a bit less than perfect at the moment."

[member="Wrenarias"]

She waved a hand dismissively at the idea of a lesson, shaking her head. What she didn't turn down, however, was a drink. Wren leaned forward, just far enough to pick up a glass from the tray. Sipping from the drink, she leaned back into the chair to get comfortable once more.

"Not everything has to be a lesson, y'know." She smirked a little.

"Sometimes, it's alright to just be a person every once in awhile." The twi'lek added a few moments later, setting her glass on top of her knee. "Which means you're allowed to relax."

"No, but turning things into lessons is my only hobby." Not true, but it dominated so much of his time that it wasn't terribly far off. "Although I have been changing gears a bit lately. Different company breeds different ideas." He'd been making a concerted effort to live in some semblance of normalcy. The mundane things most sentients enjoyed were foreign to Cedric, and his recent smattering of companions had inspired a bit of a change in the Jedi Master.

It was important to at least appear social anyway. No one wanted to follow an unpleasant Imperator.

"There was a time when I'd go for days without having a conversation with another person beyond simple orders. Interesting how experience changes you," he set the empty glass down, quickly retrieving another of the same kind.

an idea came to mind. Wren had been less than open about things thus far, but he'd need to pick her brain in order to train her properly. That, and he preferred to know how those at his side ticked. With that in mind, he proposed, "How about this," he gestured with his glass, "You ask a question, then I'll ask a question. We'll stop when it gets grating."

[member="Wrenarias"]

Wren arched a brow at the proposal, watching Cedric over the rim of her glass as she took a sip from the contents. She wasn't sure what the drink was, but it tasted surprisingly good. She took another heavy sip from the glass, polishing it off.

"Alright then. Since you came up with the idea, you can ask the first question." She murmured, setting the empty glass down on the counter.

"What would you like to know, Cedric?"

"I suppose it is only fair." Cedric agreed, falling silent for a few moments as he stared into his glass.

It took a few seconds, but something came to mind.

"Your lekku," he gestured toward the cybernetic replacement. "How'd you end up with that? Seems like there's be a story behind it."

[member="Wrenarias"]

Of all the questions Cedric could have led with, Wren hadn't expected him to ask her about the prosthetic right off the bat. Her head moved back slightly with surprise and she blinked once, taken a little aback. She wasn't offended, the cybernetic lek was certainly a distinctive feature and was prone to ensnaring a person's curiosity. The issue was that she hadn't spent enough time around any one person for them to feel comfortable enough to ask her about it. Her life had been rather isolated from any real interaction with other people for some time.

She bit her bottom lip, running her free hand over the mentioned appendage. Her fingers curled around the last few inches of the lek and she lifted it slightly off her chest to look down at the metallic prosthetic.

To buy herself sometime to gather her thoughts, Wren took a long sip from the drink in her other hand. She grimaced as the liquor burned down her throat and she shook her head a few times, chuckling quietly. "Well... let's see." She mused, swirling the last of the drink around in the glass.

"It was... a lesson learned at an exorbitantly high price." She said after a few moments of consideration, then lulled back into silence. At first, it seemed as if that was all she was going to say on the matter until she took a deep breath and continued.

"A Sith Lord and his apprentice had been pursuing me and Kelina for some time. She never really told me why... just that we had to keep moving. They eventually caught up to us in the middle of some revolt on Orinda. Kelina and I were separated in the fighting. The apprentice and I fought... he took my lek, and I took his life as recompense." Wren muttered flatly, shaking her head.

Cedric knew something of high prices.

He listened in respectful silence as she spoke of her experiences, his lips pressed into a thin line, his gaze never leaving her own. There was genuine interest in that expression - especially when she mentioned the Sith. The Jedi had dealt with them far too many times not to understand.

"You're strong, moving past that as you have," he remarked as he sipped at his drink. The warmth swam at the edges of his senses, but nowhere near enough to fragment his thoughts a liquor often did. He wanted sensation numbed, not burned out entirely. "Life is all about the scars you gain along the way, after all."

He reachedup to the hem of his collar, pulling the robes down low to expose the upper portion of his chest. It was a mix of warped synthflesh, stitched together by hurried hands, and phrik plating where muscle should have been. The natural flesh that remained was naught but calloused canyons of singed skin, the results of some form of chemical burns upon inspection. "The Sith have left me with my own fair share of gifts." He let the collar flick back into place. "Just another of the many great trials a Jedi will face. You fight ass long as I have, you'll start to wonder whether you can be classified as part droid."

[member="Wrenarias"]

Wren actually chuckled at the droid comment, shaking her head as she took another sip from her drink. She had some catching up to do with the Jedi Master, if the empty glass that the serving droid had been carrying out of the library were any indication. There was a brief lull in the conversation while she savored the taste of the drink.

"Oh right. Guess it's my turn to ask a question now, eh?"

She tilted her head back slightly, gazing up at the ceiling in thought. Her thumb lightly traced the outer rim of the glass, brushing back and forth along the surface.

After a few moments, she shrugged and gestured towards him with the hand that was holding the glass. "That's a serious looking burn on your chest. How did you get it? I know you said Sith but... that's a little vague."

Another sour subject. Wren had answered him honestly, so it was only right he did the same.

"It's a gift from a menagerie of different individuals," he explained, choosing his words carefully. "Though the phrik plating is courtesy of one [member="Darth Maliphant"]. I have fought many Sith in my die. Killed some, redeemed others, but Maliphant seems to be beyond both." His brow furrowed. "We fought on Hoth several months ago. It was a titanic conflict - Maliphant is a master of the Dark Side, I his opposite. When we fought, the world shook." He continued, clearly displeased with the memory from his tone and facial expressions.

"He nearly killed me. Loske and a few others are the only reason I survived - they recovered my body from the aftermath. I know I harmed Maliphant just as grievously, but he's still out there, likely plotting some form of revenge," The Jedi scowled. "If you ever come across a very effeminate man with unkempt white hair, watch yourself. He's approached my students before. He'll do so again until I've finally put him in the ground. Of that I am certain."

He shook his head.

"My turn, I suppose." He downed the remainder of his drink. The stutter at the edge of his vision grew in accordance, though his paid it no mind. "Is the lightsaber yours, or was it your master's?"

[member="Wrenarias"]

Wren listened intently to Cedric's response, quietly sipping from the glass that she held. Her free hand idly fiddled with the last few inches of the cybernetic lek, twisting it around her fingers. She pulled her legs a little closer to her torso, curling up comfortably in the chair.

"If I see anyone like that, I'll keep that in mind..." She murmured, shaking her head with a frown on her lips.

When asked about her saber, she lifted her hips momentarily to pull the weapon in question out of her jacket.

"It's a mixture of both..." She answered.

"Originally, she gave me her lightsaber that she used when she was a padawan herself... but I modified the hilt to better fit me and my fighting style." She clicked the button to extend the hilt out into the small staff, twirling it with her free hand and then offered it out to Cedric.

"How come?"

----

It was inevitable that Maliphant would show up again. Until the Sith Lord was dead, he would not cease to be a threat. Too many of the Jedi’s students had been targets of that decrepit creature - if he could at least give Wren some warning, that might be enough. “Just be wary.” His arms folds about his chest as he set the glass down. He needed to slow it down - his grip on the empyrean was beginning to slip, and if it fell too far away, he would be victim to the liqour’s tendencies as any mortal was. An open hand took the weapon. It snap-hissed as Cedric drew it to light, his eyes narrowing as he observed the emerald blade. “Just curious. A lightsaber is often an embodiment of the creator. I was curious about what it might represent if you..” he offered an easy smile as the blade was doused, and offered back to its owner.

---

She watched him curiously while he handled the weapon, then leaned out to take it back from him once he was finished with the inspection. Another quick click of button and the hilt folded back into itself, small enough to fit into her pocket. "What does yours mean then?" She asked, gesturing towards the Jedi Master with her free hand after the hilt was tucked away once more.

---

A good question. He raised a hand, and the hilt of the blade flew forth from one of the many bookshelves, coming to land in his open palm with ease. The weapon was twice the size of a normal lightsaber, and emblazoned with the symbol of the Jedi Order. He twirled it between his fingertips, before offering it to her. “Just don’t ask me to touch tips, he mumbled. The weapon had a calming aura to it, and physical contact would likely leave one mollified of any unpleasant sensation, such was its power. “That is the Blade of Russan. It was forged several thousand years ago, though it was never completed. My family took it upon themselves to repair it, and the blade has been with us ever since.” He paused, “It represents our eternal vow to the Jedi Order. Even when it has fragmented, we will remember its purpose, and stand against the dark tide until there is no one left to do so.”

---

Touching the hilt of the blade, feeling the calming aura that surrounded the weapon, caused her to take a sharp breath. It was a similar effect to her own touch with another person. A faint smile flitted over her features while she inspected the hilt curiously. "How did they come into possession of such an ancient weapon?" She asked, then paused with a chuckle. "Sorry, it was your turn."

---

The Jedi snickered. He leaned back in his chair, a vague look of amusement flitting over his features as Wren asked her question. There was quite a long story to the ancient blade, but he doubted she wanted to spend the entire night hearing it. With that in mind, Cedric endeavored to give her the best summary he could muster. “Shortly after the Rebel Alliance was defeated by the Sith Empire, I returned to my home on Ruusan for more training. It was there that a specter of my ancestor confronted me, and informed me of the trials that awaited. I underwent them, traveled deep beneath the surface of my family’s home, and faced more than a few demons.” “When all was said and done, I passed my trials of mastery, earned my place as a Jedi Master, and the Blade of Ruusan accepted me as its current wielder. When I die someone else will take my place, and so on.” Another pause. "What did you want to be, back when you were a child?"

---

His story only prompted more questions from the twi'lek, but she refrained from spouting them all off at once. They were taking turns asking each other questions, after all. There would be another time to have an actual conversation about his blade. Shaking her head, she held her hand out and offered the hilt back to Cedric. It was a quirk of hers that she never used the Force for mundane things. She could have easily moved the saber over to him without having to shift her position, and yet she didn't. It came more naturally for her to do things for herself. She noted the Cedric, on the other hand, used the Force as if it was second nature. She wondered what it must be like in that head of his. He always seemed so... stoic. His question caused her to laugh bitterly and she shook her head. "You mean back before the Galaxy showed me how brutal life really is?" She took a deep breath and let her head drop back against the back of the chair, slowly exhaling as she got comfortable once more. "I wanted to be normal." The answer was a painfully honest one. "But that wasn't really a feasible thing to want. What about you? Did you always want to be some grand Imperator and a Jedi Master?"

---

It was the sort of answer he’d nearly expected. Wren has a mundaneness about her that most Force sensitives lacked. That was not a bad thing, but it hinted at her true desires. The Jedi Master could sympathize. He took the lightsaber with a grateful nod before setting it aside. “Normalcy is often so out of reach,” he agreed as he went for one of the last few glasses. He didn’t drink this one, instead simply nursing it close to his chest. “I wanted to be a lot of things.” His brow furrowed. “Artisan, farmer, teacher - responsibility put me in the path I walk now, and I don’t regret it, but it was never what I wanted for myself as a child

---

Wren smirked slightly and finished the last of her glass. She then reached for another. Her thoughts seemed to wander for a short while, visiting old memories and taking note of the rather long list of reasons why she did t belong here in the palace. What had Cedric seen in her? What did he want? She took a sip from the new drink, which didn't burn this time as it went down. The alcohol was starting to finally catch up to her. "Have any artistic talent these days?"

---

“Yes, actually. I’ve been trying my hand at directing pornographic films. Truly riveting stuff.” He deadpanned as he took a swig, allowing himself to savor the taste for a few moments before continuing to speak. “But really, I mostly write. A lot of spiritual stuff, some political treatises, nothing really for entertainment. I’ll get to that eventually.” He paused. “Most of my work goes toward preserving what information on the Jedi Order remains, and my philosophies. Not the most interesting reads.”

---

His dry quip caught Wren off guard, but she busted out laughing a moment later. The mental image it painted was so absurd that she couldn't help it. She rocked forward, wrapping one arm around her stomach as she chortled into the glass she was holding. "I'm... I'm sorry." She stammered, trying to get herself to stop laughing, shaking her head a few times. "I just... I couldn't help but imagine it." She wiped her free hand under her eyes, still giggling a little. It felt good to laugh. Once she was under control, she nodded a little. "If you could write for entertainment, what would you write then?"

---

“Quite the mental image, I’m sure.” He cracked a pleased little grin as he leaned back into the couch, content that his humor had landed. Wren seemed a bit sour at times, and a bit of entertainment would likely do her good. He waited to answer the question, his gaze traveling off toward the many row of books as he considered. “I’m not really sure, honestly. Likely a deconstruction of some kind of genre. I enjoy the vitriol that tends to follow.” His turn then. “What about you? Any hobbies beyond tomb plundering?”

---

"Nothing so fanciful as writing, or really much of anything artistic. When I was little I would draw, but... that changed after I uh..." She paused, trying to think of the best way to describe her departure from Ryloth. Telling someone like Cedric that she'd been forced into slavery seemed daunting. Her eyes scanned the library once more and a frown touched her lips. Everything was so elegant and refined. He'd been brought up in a life of privilege, wealth, and power. No, he wouldn't understand and she certainly didn't want his pity. Not to mention souring the mood of the conversation. She cleared her throat and forced a crooked smile. "After I left Ryloth." "Nowadays, I just tinker with cybernetics and various gadgets. Droids and speeders... stuff like that. Machines are rather simple, they either work or they don't."

---

“You’ve got more of a useful mind than me then. I’m about as good with machines as I am with with tolerating Sith.” That was a certain truth. Cedric has little capacity for hardware of any kind - his abilities remained in realms of leadership and esoterica. He understood the immaterial - the material was a bit too different for his liking. “I’ve been to Ryloth once.” He fought the natural frown that came with the memory. “Got myself captured working to liberate it for the New Republic. Spent a year in the gladiatorial pits,” the serving droid returned with another tray. Cedric took the offering eagerly - the drink had already loosened his tongue. “Not the best of experiences.” He paused, curious, “Why’d you leave?”

---

She chewed the inside of her cheek, trying to decide if it would be better to just lie about the circumstances, or come out and lay the truth at his feet. As much as she wanted to avoid talking about the subject, she knew she was a terrible liar, so it wasn't exactly an option to begin with. Sighing quietly, she took a much longer sip from the drink in her hand, finishing the second glass before she quickly grabbed a third from the serving droid -- trading the empty glass for a fresh one. "Because my family sold me into slavery." She said bluntly, not sure how to get around the fact in a delicate manner. Slaves were a chief export from Ryloth, and had been for as long as anyone could remember. It wasn't exactly a secret.

---

There had been private suspicions at the back of Cedric’s mind, but he’d not engaged with them. Ryloth was known for many things, and most of them were not very good. He’d gotten well acquainted with the underbelly of that world. “Well,” he reached up to scratch at the top of his skull. “I’m sorry they did that to you. My family was messy, but not like that.” He leaned forward, elbows resting on his knees as he formulated a follow up. “But you survived it. That takes a certain willpower most people don’t have.”

---

Wren gave a slight shrug and a sardonic smile flitted over her features. "It's behind me, has been for awhile. But... thank you, Cedric. I don't really talk about stuff like this very often." She eyed the now half empty glass in her hand and frowned, maybe she was drinking a bit too much, too quickly. This was the most she'd talked about herself in years, and she wasn't sure how to feel about that. Or what it meant. "Like I said on Odessan, I don't really have a family. You kind of get used to being alone after awhile."

---

The drink was set aside. Perhaps more for later, but Cedric was keen on not making a fool of himself. He folded his arms about his chest, his curiosity to her origins sated. “It’s not a problem. I’m good for listening, usually.” The decision to set the drink aside was a wise one, as the burning liquid found its way into his blood. It made things a bit slower, but wasn’t debilitating. Cedric could hope for nothing less. “I know how you feel.” He leaned back into the couch, “I’ve been isolated in one sense or another for most of my life. Leadership tends to drive rifts between oneself and others in an interpersonal sense. It’s comfortable though. Your decisions are always your own.”

---

The twi'lek gave Cedric a dubious look. She doubted very much that he knew what it was like to be a slave, but she wasn't going to contradict him out right. Leadership and having your family sell you off to the highest bidder weren't exactly the same thing. She wasn't angry with him, she just doubted the sentiment. His mention of isolation brought another frown to her face and she shook her head. That wasn't something she wanted to get into yet. Her inability to forge a normal relationship of any kind was a sensitive subject, one she did her best to avoid in casual conversation. "Do you ever wish you could change any of that?" She asked him instead, turning the subject back to Cedric.

---

The Jedi pauses to consider her question. It was one he had pondered himself many times, before eventually coming to the conclusion that wondering about such things was a waste of time. Still, he allowed himself to engage in the question. “Sometimes,” his gaze went to the floor for a moment, before returning to Wren. “I would have been happier in another life, if that’s what you’re asking, but I don’t regret what’s happened to me.” Arms folded about his chest. “These things were going to happen either way - they happened to me because that was the Force’s will. If they hadn’t happened to me, I wouldn’t be a Jedi Master, wouldn’t have been able to save Corsuscant - I probably wouldn’t be helping anyone.” He cracked a small, wondering smile. “So no, I don’t think I’d want to change any of it.”

---

His answer wasn't unexpected. Cedric had the air about him that only individuals confident in their abilities and choices could carry. There was something he said that she wasn't sure she agreed with -- that everything happened because the Force willed it so. If that was the case, then the Force could go fuck itself for all she cared. For Cedric all his life had been building to something, this great culmination of events that ended with him seated as Imperator, leader of a movement, and a Jedi Master. He wasn't that much older than Wren, only having a few more years on her. Did that mean the Force intended for her to suffer indefinitely? What kind of life was that? Anything she'd managed to accomplish, what little there was, she'd done for herself. The thought of the Force actively conspiring against her was... unsettling. And it left a bitter taste in her mouth. She glanced to the drink in her hand, then tilted her head back to drain it down in two quick gulps. The empty glass was set aside, the ice clinking softly against the cup. "Your turn." She said simply.

---

There was much communicated that went unspoken. Cedric did well to make it look as if he were simply listening to her, but he was monitoring her body language as well. Her lekku were of particular note - such things tended to shift in accordance with how one was feeling, or that had been Cedric’s experience at the least. What he picked up on was distaste, though he couldn’t identify it in a particular sense. The source was simply undiscernable. “What’s the reason you decided to come with me? You don’t strike me as the type that would want to be a Jedi simply for the sake of it.”

---

Wren's mouth quirked ever so slightly to the side after Cedric's question. The truth was she didn't rightly know herself, at least, not in the sense that he was looking for. If he wanted her to spout off about how she always yearned to be a Jedi, she was only going to disappoint him. She chewed her bottom lip, considering the answer for a few moments. "I guess... because I don't want people to have to go through what I did. I want to be strong enough to protect others from that life..." She murmured in a soft voice, shaking her head. "I know I can't make that much of a difference... but if I can help just one person, it's something."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom