Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Type-51 Special Application Rifle/Advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
oSaKD9o.png
Type-51 SAR/a Rifle in its' standard configuration with two-tone desert camouflage.
Source (x)

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: Creating an advanced sniper rifle system for the exclusive use by the First Order's Death Troopers.
  • Image Source: Source
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Mass-Driver Cannon.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION

[*]Manufacturer:

[*]Affiliation: Closed-Market

[*]Model: Type-51 Special Application Rifle/Advanced
[*]Cost: 15,000 Credits (Not available on Civil Markets)
[*]Value: 100,000 Credits (Black Market Value)
[*]Modularity: Yes (Camouflage Pattern, Scope-Type)
[*]Production: Limited
[*]Material: Durasteel, Reinforced Duraplast, Titanium.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Electromagnetic Lorentz Railgun
  • Size: Large
    Hand-Held

[*]Length:
  • 83cm (Barrel).
  • 110cm (Overall, Stock Collapsed).
  • 118cm (Overall, Stock Expanded).

[*]Weight: Very Heavy
  • 20 Kilograms

[*]Ammunition Type:
  • 30x113mm Armour-piercing discarding sabot Tungsten-Jacketed Depleted Duranium Projectile.
    ​Projectile Mass: 1.1 Kilograms/2.5 Pounds

[*]30x113mm Semi-Armour Piercing Tungsten-Jacketed Depleted Duranium-Cored White Phosphorous Tip high-explosive incendiary.
  • ​Projectile Mass: 0.9 Kilograms/2.0 Pounds

[*]Power Cell.

[*]Feed System: 10 Round Double-Stack Detachable Box Magazine, Power Cell
[*]Action: Gas-Operated Rotating Bolt
[*]Operation: Electrically-Manipulated Programmable Trigger, Electrothermally-ignition assisted Electromagnetic-Lorentz Acceleration
[*]Optic Magnification: 1.5-50x (5.3-1.5M Field of View @ 100M w/56mm Objective Diameter & Thermal Capability)
[*]Muzzle Velocity: 2,500 Meters Per Second.
[*]Ammunition Capacity:
  • 10 Shots (Per Projectile Magazine)
  • 20 Shots (Per Power Cell)

[*]Reload Speed: Slow, Very Slow
  • ~8.5s; Projectile Cartridge, Dependent on User
  • ~18-30s; Hydrogen Power Cell Replacement

[*]Effective Range: Battlefield
  • 5,000 Meters

[*]Rate of Fire: Average
  • ​Semi-Automatic & Safe Only
  • 120 Rounds/Min

[*]Stopping Power: Extreme
  • Armour-Piercing Sabot: 3437 Kilojoules
  • Semi-Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary: 2812 Kilojoules

[*]Recoil: High
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Ambidextrous Safety/Selector
  • Ambidextrous Cartridge Release
  • Angled Trigger Grip
  • Cheek riser
  • Collapsible Stock
  • Folding Bipod
  • Gas Canister Rubber Handle
  • Handguards
  • Heat Sinks
  • Magnatomic High-Adhesion Angled Trigger Grip
  • Recoil Dampener
  • Sight Picatinny Rail(s)
  • Thumbhole Stock
Strengths:
  • Begone Lightsaber: Attempts to block the projectile can prove futile; with the slug violently slamming against the magnetic field potentially wounding the wielder severely and knocking their lightsaber clear of grip or even destroying their weapon under 64,000 Joules of kinetic energy.
  • Optic Power: Standard Optical Sight mounted on each Type-51 is a cutting edge 3.5-25 x 56 magnifications scope with an in-built laser rangefinder and targeting computer which significantly increases the efficiency of the wielder by displaying the target's range and elevation after compensating for atmospheric conditions. For a sufficiently trained Trooper this permits them to operate normally without a dedicated Spotter increasing manpower at the squad-level for other tasks.
  • Penetrative Power: The Type 51 rifle fires a conical-shaped slug with incredible penetrating power; and is designed to punch through virtually any Infantry Armour and completely penetrate whoever is wearing the protective equipment with exception to high-quality armour constructed of tough materials. Which tends to prevent penetration albeit not the impact of kinetic energy on target which can still be crippling. The Rifle is even capable of punching through armoured vehicles that are constructed with a thin armour envelope such as APCs or from materials with low density making it a viable anti-material rifle.
  • Smart-Scope: Each Type-51 Rifle comes with propriety First Order Software-installed which permits the Death Trooper using it to link their heads-up-display with the optic-sight permitting them greater target resolution, instead of having to manually sight the target through the scope, the shooter can utilise the weapons' "Smart Scope" Functionality and protect the optic's sight as an overlay on the Head-Up-Display.
Weaknesses:
  • Alert Systems: Certain armoured vehicles are equipped with a laser-warning detection system which is usually intended to alert the crew if their vehicle is being 'lased' by a hostile tank. Unfortunately for the Type-51's user these systems also react to the Optic sight's laser rangefinder making the element of surprise difficult to maintain when engaging combined-arms units. Users are encouraged to disable the optic's digital systems in environments with vehicles for this reason and rely on the analogue magnification with their own sniper training.
  • Battery Powered: Type-51 rifles contain an internal battery that is responsible for ionising the gas contained within the cartridges and cannot be easily replaced, to replace the internal battery the rifle must be field-stripped and then re-assembled with a new power cell/electric battery. This process usually takes anywhere between 18-30 seconds depending on the user.
  • Distinct Feedback: The weapons' projectiles travel much faster than the speed of sound and it creates a distinct orange-red coloured lance on each shot's flight path as a result of becoming super-heated against atmospheric friction, identifying the shooter's position to the keen observer. This forces the Sniper to change firing positions quickly to maintain a concealed position. A distinct disadvantage especially in engagements at extreme or close-range.
  • Length: The Type-51 Special Application Rifle is quite long making it less suitable for Close-Quarters Fighting or Building Clearing unless the user is quite skilled with Sniper-Rifle type weapons. Rounding corners and bringing the weapon to bear for example takes ever so slightly longer due to the impressive barrel length.
  • Low Cartridge Capacity: Each Projectile Cartridge loaded into the weapon can only discharge ten shots before depleting its' capacity forcing the wielder to reload the weapon before firing any further shots.
  • Overheating: The weapon's barrel overheats considerably under sustained fire and two or three shots fired in quick succession will overwhelm the heat-sinks venting the excess thermal energy visibly and cannot be discharged again until the vent is complete which can take more than a couple seconds; the weapon wasn't built for the amateur Marksman.
  • Very Loud Report: Type-51 Rifles are anything but quiet thanks to their electromagnetic operation and create an absolutely deafening sound when discharged, not only does this have the potential to be hazardous for the user it can also alert hostile forces to their position and/or presence.
DESCRIPTION
Appearances are deceiving and in this case the deception is used to conceal the true nature of what is ostensibly a simple slugthrower or cyclic rifle, no. The Type-51 Special Application Rifle/Advanced is exactly what its' name suggests it's no common Marksman rifle it was developed and constructed for the exclusive use in the hands of the First Order's most feared and awe-inspiring force; the Death Troopers. Utilising an inert conical bullet shaped projectile for ammunition the weapon is in truth a Lorentz railgun which gives the weapon its' awesome penetrative power; the supersonic ammunition is incredibly effective as dispatching hostile infantry. The conical projectile usually passes through not only the target's armour but all the way through the target themselves with the possibility of creating secondary or unintended casualties. The Titanium slug roars through the target transferring its' kinetic energy onto the atoms and molecules in its' path cauterizing the wound and usually kills the target instantly; causing severe hemorrhaging of the circulatory and nervous system from the sheer amount of kinetic energy absorbed by the body. Non-fatal injuries such as third degree burns can be caused by the ~1,200 degree Celsius projectiles.

The distinct shot of the rifle can be easily seen or heard by bystanders and hostile troops making it a necessity for the user to displace after firing to minimise risk of injury from counter-attack or a counter-sniping Operation. Another significant trade-off for the weapon is that the Projectiles create massive amounts of heat when discharged; this is an issue as the weapon's heat-sinks become a distinct black body on Thermal sights and successive shots will disable the weapon while the heat-sinks vent on the rifle's chassis as a safety feature to prevent internal damage to the rails or barrel housing. The weapon cannot be discharged while the heat-sinks are venting so its' use by a confident and competent marksman is important as misses and discharges in general almost always result in other parties becoming alerted to the user's presence if not their position itself leaving little margin of error to correct shots that don't find their target. Generally, two to three shots in rapid succession will overwhelm the heatsink which also makes engaging multiple targets in close-quarters fighting quite problematic requiring a calm and steady hand with sufficient skill to utilise properly at short ranges. The Optic sight can be programmed to have six different magnification and field of view presets to reduce set-up time for the Shooter or where the typical engagement ranges are predictable.

The Weapon has two different types of ammunition; firstly its' battery which is located deep within the weapon and can only be accessed with a field disassembly and the Projectile Magazine which is shaped like a traditional box magazine for durability purposes and to conceal the nature of its contents. The magazines hold enough projectiles to fire ten shots before depleting while the battery can support twenty shots, with each shot depleting the battery by 5%; essentially limiting the maximum number of shots that can be discharged to 20 before requiring maintenance. Fortunately the weapon's battery is small and a Trooper could easily carry several though most take anywhere between 18-30 seconds depending on the individual and would require them to remain more or less stationary while stripping the weapon down into its' basic components.

SUBMISSION MODIFICATION RECORDS
  • 10/04/2019: Edited the Affiliations, Manufacturer and Designer to include the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation, changed the affiliation to closed-market but left the actual affiliations themselves unchanged, but added Project: Revenant. Increased Production Rating to Limited, Increased Weight Rating to Very High, left hard statistic unchanged. Increased discrete value for range by 100% left rating unchanged. Gave discrete measurements and mass for the weapon's projectiles, recalculated kinetic energy appropriately. Specified feed system magazine capacity with discrete value, included a new "Action" field splitting some information from "Operation" and put it into "Action". Added "Recoil Dampener" to Special Features.

Kyli DT-6767 said:
Penetrative Power: The Type 51 rifle fires an ionized stream of Tibanna-Hydrogen Gamma Particles with incredible penetrating power; capable of easily slicing straight through virtually any Infantry Armour and completely penetrating wearing the protective equipment with the notable exception of those constructed of materials such as Phrik or Mandalorian Iron.
This is "calling hits", as it does not allow a opposing writer to decide what damage they will take it. I recommending using words like "designed to" and other words that suggest, but does not dictate, damage. This is not to say that this shouldn't be a powerful weapon (it clearly should be, with the closest real life analogue being an anti-material rifle), but this section and in the description needs to be toned down in order to give opposing writers more leeway in taking hits (which is especially difficult with a weapon designed to kill someone in one shot).

Kyli DT-6767 said:
Begone Lightsaber: Attempts to block the particle stream with a lightsaber often prove futile; with the stream violently exploding against the magnetic field potentially wounding the wielder severely and knocking their lightsaber clear of grip or even destroying their weapon under 64,000 Joules of kinetic energy.

This also needs to be toned down somewhat. If you'd replace "often" with "can", we should be good.

Kyli DT-6767 said:
Air-Cooled Particle Beam Bullpup Sniper Rifle
Let's talk about particle beam weaponry a little bit. There's scarce information about their properties in handheld weapons. What we do know from their vehicular equivalents (heavy particle cannon and Tri-beamer) is that they're pretty short ranged for their actual size (You can see the actual statistics for the Tri-beamer here).

In this respect, I think that we're actually better off looking at Charrics for precedence. But again, charrics are also known for their short range for their size. The closest equivalent that we have for this then is probably the Chiss sniper rifle, which has a substantially smaller range than this.

This is likely because the Star Wars particle beams are based on real life particle beams. Real life particle beams are likewise very unstable but powerful, and this comes at the cost of range (you can read some about that here).

Because of that, I recommend shortening this weapon's range to be slightly higher than the Chiss sniper rifles. If you can find a different example that shows a relatively long-range particle weapon, I'm all ears.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Can you give me a little while to make edits? I'm pretty set on having this weapon have a range of 2,500 meters, to reduce the effective range to a few hundred meters would make it redundant the First Order already has designated marksman rifles with that range. I might have to look at converting the design to take advantage of mass driver technology instead to achieve the ranges I desire, so I'm going to have to ask for some-time to make considerable edits to the rifle's design and operation along with change some of the language as you suggested.

[member="Gir Quee"]
Edit1: Not my most careful edit job, but it's done. Give that a look over when you get a chance and let me know your thoughts?

[member="Kyli DT-6767"], I appreciate the edits. I know it can be rough making extensive changes to the concept after you've already put so much work into it.

Kyli DT-6767 said:
Penetrative Power: The Type 51 rifle fires a conical-shaped slug with incredible penetrating power; and is designed to punch through virtually any Infantry Armour and completely penetrate whoever is wearing the protective equipment with the notable exception of those constructed of materials such as Phrik or Mandalorian Iron.
There's a delicate balance to be had here that I know can difficult with such high-powered weapons.

On one hand, we need to have enough detail to know its effects, and its understandable to put in enough detail so that people don't entirely dismiss its power. On the other hand, the opposing writer (especially PCs) do need some wiggle room so that they don't instantly die by taking a hit by this thing (unless they're wearing that special phrik or beskar armor).

Because of that, I think we need to change this section about Phrik and beskar armor, and simply replace it with something like "bespoke" or "high-grade" armor. If we don't, I think that many opposing PCs will be writing about how this thing never hits them.

Kyli DT-6767 said:
Distinct Feedback: The weapons' projectiles travel muchfaster than the speed of sound and it creates a distinct aqua coloured lance on each shot's flight path identifying the shooter's position to the keen observer.
Do you still want the "aqua coloured lance" now that it's no longer a particle weapon?

[member="Gir Quee"]

I'm going to keep the coloured lance for physics and fairness purposes, the projectile becomes super-heated as a result of atmospheric friction and glows an orange-red when travelling at that whopping 3000 meters per second I hope that makes sense, it does so for similar reasons that a space shuttle's ceramic plating superheats on re-entry. In terms of fairness I thought of this; if a wielder fires at a target 2500 meters away from their position the target and anybody around them in theory won't hear the shot for about seven seconds due to the speed of sound versus the velocity of projectile so I think it's important there be something to allow characters to immediately go "Holy hell, did something just shoot as us?"

I've edited the wording as you suggested, it is hard not to be too forceful with something like this I'm not going to lie, especially when you consider the Kinetic Energy from these projectiles practically doubles that of the massive 14.5x114mm round the Russians use in their HMGs and Anti-Material Rifles, that 14.5x114mm ammunition can typically penetrate approximately 3cm of Hot-Rolled High-Carbon Homogeneous Steel Armour so it's hard not to talk the SAR/a's penetrative power up when y'know realistically it should make an unarmoured humanoid target explode or bisect and punch holes through armour-skin vehicles and APCs.

Hope you find the changes acceptable and that I haven't been too much of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom