Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Tuwak

Status
Not open for further replies.
lizard_man_by_sansyu.jpg
Name: Tuwak
Designation: Sentient
Homeworld: Manetuwak
Language: Tuwakian
Average height of adults: 2-3m
Skin color: Hide color ranges from dark browns, blacks, and greens to brighter colors such as yellows, reds, and blues.
Hair color: No actual hair, though spines are often colored and dyed.
Breathes: Type III atmosphere
Strengths:
  • Survival - Born to a planet where only the strong survive, each Tuwak is resourceful, strong, and has incredible endurance. Their strength and toughness are easily equivalent to the strongest of human society, if not greater. On a world that is constantly trying to kill you, simply surviving is a massive achievement.
  • Resilient - Manetuwak is a world of many poisons and toxins, most of which the Tuwakians know of or are resistant to. Their strong hide protects them from most known poisonous substances and their strong immune system can quickly metabolize most of what cannot be stopped by their hide.
  • Fieldcraft - Residents of an uncivilized world, the Tuwak race has learned the ways of Manetuwak and its swamps and wetlands. To varying degrees of skill, many are quite stealthy in the wild and most can easily find their way with bare sticks and stones while navigating the wilds they live in.
  • Scaled - A Tuwak's hide is naturally tough and durable, easily shrugging off minor injuries. Often, their scales protect them from the most basic of things and what little armor is worn is placed over vital areas. Tuwak hide is equivalent to class 3 armor.
  • Spiritual - A spiritual people who worship scores of deities, the Tuwak are ferocious and terrifying in battle, utilizing their natural and artificial weapons in combat and often attribute victories and gifts in the form of luck from their pantheon of gods and goddesses.
Weaknesses:
  • Survival - While each Tuwakian is tough and strong, many do not survive to adulthood. Because of this, the native population on Manetuwak is constantly lower than galactic standard and population centers are often small, along the scale of towns and villages with few small cities.
  • Resilient - While naturally resistant to most poisons and toxins, there are a few native to Manetuwak that can easily kill a Tuwakian. Indeed, throughout the galaxy the most potent poisons will work on the species, though the proper dosage and amounts are unknown.
  • Primitive - Tuwakians are a very basic society and even such things as gunpowder or iron-working are lost to them. Unless educated or exposed beforehand, most will have no idea or possibly fear any higher level of technology than their own.
  • Cold-Blooded - A reptilian species, Tuwakians live and thrive in warm, humid environments. They can live more or less comfortably in drier climes, so long as it is warm, but cold or even frozen environments can weaken or even kill them over time if left without a heated environmental suit.
  • Spiritual - While ferocious in battle and quick to heed their deities' call, one who can learn the Tuwakian culture or even understand the language can often make peace with the species to trade or to request aide. So great is their spiritual ties to the planet and their gods that not only do they not know advanced technology, but they shun things like blasters or lightsabers thinking such things to be evil magicks or spells and wielded by daemons or evil sorcerers.
Distinctions: Reptilian, teeth, spines, claws, primitive society, resistance to most poisons and toxins.
Average Lifespan: 150 standard years.
Races:
  • Lowland Tuwak - A race that generally dwells in the swamps and wetlands only. Typically, but not exclusively, features solid or mottled earth tone hides such as greens or browns. This race often supports more shamans and agricultural workers than the others.
  • Upland Tuwak - A race that generally dwells along the footlands of the planet's few mountain ranges were the wetlands tend to give way to a sort of rainforest analogue. These individuals often sport, but are not restricted to, various brighter shades such as reds, blues, and yellows. This race often features more adventurous individuals and is known for its artwork in stone and precious metals.
  • North or South Tuwak (depending on the hemisphere) - A race that generally lives near the frozen archipelagos of the planet. These Tuwakians are almost entirely, but not restricted to, much darker greens and browns or outright black hides. The lands this race frequents are often sparse and remote, leading to tribes fighting for resources. North/South Tuwak are some of the greatest warriors of the species and are often employed by tribal kings and warlords as personal guards.
Estimated Population: Almost nonexistent throughout the galaxy and Manetuwak sports a below average to low population compared to the Galactic Standard, approximately a few dozen million at best.
Diet: Omnivorous
Communication: Verbal, Tuwakian
Culture:

Tuwakian culture is primitive, yet complex. The species is oriented around village and tribal life, with each population center sporting its own king, village leader, or tribal warlord. Each leader is put in place however the village or group deems to do so with most being placed in power by inheritance such as royalty and some being elected into power. Regardless, the leader holds absolute authority over the village and is responsible for the village and villagers' well being.

Within each population center can be found a Shaman. Whether a single individual or a small group depends on the size of the population, but even the smallest of communities has access to at least one Shaman. The Shaman oversees the spiritual well being of the community and acts as an intermediary between the general population and their gods. While many are Force sensitive, it is not required to have such abilities in order to be a Shaman.

Outside of these two groups, the rest of the population falls into general groups. Most of the population are hunters and farmers while in the larger population areas one can find artisans, craftsmen, warriors, apothecaries, and much more.

The species is mainly separated into three groups.

The Lowland Tuwak are the most populous as the majority of the planet are, in fact, lowlands. The race is known for the predominant green or brown coloring of their hides and are mainly a race of farmers and hunters. In larger villages, towns, or the few cities that can be found the Lowland Tuwak generally occupy most manual labor tasks, though some can be found as artisans or even warriors. Often, they are known for being excellent trackers and, in fact, most apothecaries are Lowland Tuwakians.

The Upland Tuwak are known for living at the base and foothills of the few mountain ranges on the planet. They often sport more vibrant and bright colors than their lowland brethren and are often seen as more adventurous in many ways. Most are artisans and craftsmen that work with the elements around them, though some can be found as merchants or in other roles such as hunters, farmers, or even warriors.

North or South Tuwak are a rare sight among the Lowlands and Uplands of Manetuwak. Their hides are very dark green or brown, often seen as a black coloring. The regions of their homeland have few natural resources and life there is very harsh. Most take to raiding and pillaging nearby villages for supplies and are often known as great warriors. A few are known as artisans or hunters, even as merchants, but most found in the Lowlands or Uplands are often warriors employed by local leaders or the wealthy.

The three races generally get along in most areas, though occasionally some unrest is found. This usually is quieted by the Shamans as disunity among the Tuwakians generally is deemed to displease the gods.

Technology level: Primitive
General behavior:

Deeply spiritual, the Tuwak species permeates their every day lives with their religion. In fact, many aspects of daily living are controlled in one way or another by religious means.

Simple greetings are given ritualistically during first meetings, praising the deities for the opportunity to meet a new individual formally. Business deals are concluded with a formal prayer or ritual saying while important business dealings often have a Shaman present for a more intricate closing ceremony. Births and deaths are all overseen by Shamans and each feature their own rituals to please the gods.

Even in war or conflict these are apparent. Before a battle begins both sides must meet and speak with Shamans present in an attempt to prevent bloodshed. Should this fail, combat may begin with the losing side being slain to the last individual. This, however, is not always followed in the northern or southern regions where surprise means survival. However, despite this, an individual or individuals may seek safety from perceived enemies for a short time, generally a day and a half of the planet's time. This is done by approaching the individual or enemy group unarmed bearing a container of water, generally a basin of some kind. Upon being placed before the individual or leader of the enemy group, the individual seeking safety places the container upon the ground, offering the water with - called the Waters of Peace - to be drunk by both involved. The enemy individual or leader is required to drink from the water, signifying that no harm will come to the beseecher for one and a half Manetuwak days, but only if the beseecher can name the enemy individual in question. If this is done, safety is given, but only once per planetary month. If the beseecher fails to name the other, a single drop of blood from the appealed is placed into the water to show that the beseecher has failed and that blood may be spilled. The beseecher is then allowed to leave in peace to bring the message to any others seeking asylum to show that none shall be given.

There are many more rituals and observances, though they are not listed here. In short, the culture of the Tuwakians is extremely complex and revolves entirely around their religion. Outsiders will find the culture both confusing and strange, but ultimately one who reaches and understanding of the Tuwak way of life will have a great advantage over any dealings with the Tuwak race.

History:

The history of the Tuwak is relatively unknown. Their belief system states that the Tuwakians were born of the mud and water in the form of stone eggs which hatched into the first of the Tuwak race. In reality, scientists believe they hold some relation, albeit distantly, to various reptilian species on the planet and have, in fact, potentially evolved from one of them.

Regardless, the species is only recently introduced to the galaxy and, so far, the majority of the population are unaware of anything outside their own planet, much less the region the live in.

Notable Player-Characters: N/A
Intent: Well, with a test bed planet, I figured it'd make sense to make a species to inhabit it. I figured a primitive species that wasn't everywhere and wouldn't ravage the planet with immediate industry would be a great idea. Having a Type III atmosphere would, I figured, help keep the planet from being industrialized that much longer.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Arrbi Betna said:
Spiritual - A spiritual people who worship scores of deities, the Tuwak are ferocious and terrifying in battle, utilizing their natural and artificial weapons in combat and often finding gifts in the form of luck from their pantheon of gods and goddesses.
This strength is a little troubling, particularly the bit about their gods. Are you implying that these deities actually exist and interact with this species?

Arrbi Betna said:
North or South Tuwak (depending on the hemisphere) - A race that generally lives near the frozen archipelagos of the planet. These Tuwakians are almost entirely, but not restricted to, much darker greens and browns or outright black hides. The lands this race frequents are often sparse and remote, leading to tribes fighting for resources. North/South Tuwak are some of the greatest warriors of the species and are often employed by tribal kings and warlords as personal guards.
As cold blooded creatures, how are they able to survive in 'frozen' archipelagos? This seems contradictory and you'll need to use some substantial backing to make this viable.

Arrbi Betna said:
Estimated Population: Almost nonexistent throughout the galaxy and Manetuwak sports a below average to low population compared to the Galactic Standard.
Can you give me a number here? Also, for the sake of continuity, please change 'Galactic Standard' as it isn't used correctly here. 'compared to the rest of the galaxy' would be more appropriate.

Arrbi Betna said:
General behavior:
Be careful with this section. A lot of the characteristics you have included here seem to be more cultural practices than general species behavior. This isn't a huge issue as the species is sentient and as such many of these things tend to meld together. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not to edit this section a bit.

Arrbi Betna said:
The history of the Tuwak is relatively unknown.
I always strongly recommend that members avoid this phrase at all costs. It can sometimes be viewed as a cop-out as it allows members to avoid putting much work into the history section of the species. However, as a huge fan of Tolkien's writing style and world building, I can admire the idea that writers may not know everything about their creations and would rather let it develop gradually.

My advice here is to go ahead and write a few paragraphs on the history of the species, touch on all the big key events in their history if you can. Just because you write it does not mean it isn't still unknown IC, it just gives you and future PCs a chance to look back and know it internally.

Other than those things I suggested above, this submission is looking pretty good! Tag me when you have made the necessary edits.

[member="Cecily de Demici"]
Alrighty. Let me see if I can go through these and get things answered and cleared up one by one.

Cecily de Demici said:
This strength is a little troubling, particularly the bit about their gods. Are you implying that these deities actually exist and interact with this species?
I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Does it matter if they exist or not? There are canon deities that may or may not exist, why does it matter if theirs exists or not? This is a purely existential question. To the Tuwak race, they're as real as Jedi or Sith. It doesn't matter if they actually exist, only that the Tuwak believe in them and believe they interact with them much like any religion. All else is philosophical conjecture and existential circular reasoning.

Cecily de Demici said:
As cold blooded creatures, how are they able to survive in 'frozen' archipelagos? This seems contradictory and you'll need to use some substantial backing to make this viable.
You'll want to look again. I did state that they lived near the poles, not within the poles. Also, it is documented and proven that reptiles on earth can survive colder temperatures through various means ranging from hibernation to simply tolerating the cold, even migrating in some places. Now, keeping in mind that the submission states near the poles, this does not mean they are in the poles. Think of locations such as Maine in the US or perhaps other northern states, even northern countries in Europe like Norway or Scotland, even Sweden where reptiles are found and survive. Just because a reptile is cold blooded does not restrict them to warm and humid temperatures. With that in mind and clarifying that they live near the poles and not within the frozen areas, hopefully this has answered any concerns here.

Cecily de Demici said:
Can you give me a number here? Also, for the sake of continuity, please change 'Galactic Standard' as it isn't used correctly here. 'compared to the rest of the galaxy' would be more appropriate.
I kept trying to write out a long, thoughtful answer for this question, but it all kept boiling down to one word: Why? I've submitted various species - plants, animals, and sentients - where numbers were not an issue. With multiple submissions I and others have made as such, why is a number necessary? If anything, it arguably restricts the submission to individually counting settlements and population bases. As for the Galactic Standard, arguably the term "compared to the rest of the galaxy" is directly equivalent. Comparing one thing to the average of other things is, by the definitions given by Google, considered a Standard. Galactic Standard and "Compared to the rest of the galaxy" are synonymous in my opinion. If you insist on changing the phrasing even though they both mean the same thing, I'd be happy to do so, but I must admit it would leave my confused as to why as I've also used the term before with approved submissions.

Cecily de Demici said:
Be careful with this section. A lot of the characteristics you have included here seem to be more cultural practices than general species behavior. This isn't a huge issue as the species is sentient and as such many of these things tend to meld together. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not to edit this section a bit.
I do understand your point of view on the issue, but at the same time... arguably they often do act along the same lines. As you've given me the option, I'd rather leave it as is.

Cecily de Demici said:
I always strongly recommend that members avoid this phrase at all costs. It can sometimes be viewed as a cop-out as it allows members to avoid putting much work into the history section of the species. However, as a huge fan of Tolkien's writing style and world building, I can admire the idea that writers may not know everything about their creations and would rather let it develop gradually. My advice here is to go ahead and write a few paragraphs on the history of the species, touch on all the big key events in their history if you can. Just because you write it does not mean it isn't still unknown IC, it just gives you and future PCs a chance to look back and know it internally.
Again, I see your reasoning. That said, this species and the planet they live on are almost entirely unknown by the galaxy. No one has taken the time to research and investigate outside of the standard creation myths or evolutionary theories. Personally, I see this section as a challenge for aspiring writers who decide to write a character of this species. They know the culture and how the species interacts with each other and outsiders, even understanding the religion to an extent by the descriptions provided. Leaving the history open allows those writers to leave their own mark and their own myths and legends should they so desire. It also adds a sort of... IC and OOC mystery to the race, meaning that not just individuals seeking to write a Tuwak are able to build up on the species. Simply interacting with the planet and the species from the perspective of an outsider can easily help build up the history as new things are discovered or interpreted. It's almost akin to a sandbox in the form of a species where those writing can slowly or quickly build up on the history and such. The concept of the planet and this species was to create a sort of test bed for IC and OOC theories. The history of the Tuwakians is one of those theories open for other writers to test and expand on their own or together, both as a member of the race or simply interacting with the species as a whole.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
I appreciate how much you have contributed to the Codex over the years and recognize that you have a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to creating well-written submissions. However, there may still be kinks that need working out in any given submission. That much could just depend on the judge you're working with. If there is an issue with a recommendation I make, all I ask is that members provide sound reasoning for why the recommendation is unnecessary and that they do so respectfully.

That being said, I still have a few concerns that need to be addressed before we can move on to the approval stage.

Arrbi Betna said:
I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Does it matter if they exist or not? There are canon deities that may or may not exist, why does it matter if theirs exists or not? This is a purely existential question. To the Tuwak race, they're as real as Jedi or Sith. It doesn't matter if they actually exist, only that the Tuwak believe in them and believe they interact with them much like any religion. All else is philosophical conjecture and existential circular reasoning.
There is a difference between the species believing in deities or attributing lucky happenings to their gods and definitively stating that the luck is brought to them by the gods. If you're implying their gods are definitely real and definitely intervene in an OOC submission, we have an issue. At the very least I am asking you make the statements about their deities less definitive.

Arrbi Betna said:
You'll want to look again. I did state that they lived near the poles, not within the poles...
I did do some quick research on cold blooded animals before replying with my recommendations. I am aware, for example, that many reptiles find their home in places north of the US. However, in one part of your submission you say "near the poles" and in another you indicate they are often not found "outside of the poles." Please correct this inconsistency.

Arrbi Betna said:
I kept trying to write out a long, thoughtful answer for this question, but it all kept boiling down to one word: Why? ...
As to why I wanted a number here, it is simply my preference as a Codex Judge to have some hard numbers when evaluating a submission. Whether it be to check it against the population numbers of a planet or what have you. Either way, the template asks for an estimate which is a rough calculation and I'd appreciate it if you'd make this addition. As for the Galactic Standard bit, I'm not really married to the request I made for you to change it. However, when you take into account how many things are referred to with "Galactic Standard," it might be prudent to simply add "population size." after it.

Arrbi Betna said:
I do understand your point of view on the issue, but at the same time... arguably they often do act along the same lines. As you've given me the option, I'd rather leave it as is.
This is fine.

Arrbi Betna said:
Again, I see your reasoning. That said, this species and the planet they live on are almost entirely unknown by the galaxy. No one has taken the time to research and investigate outside of the standard creation myths or evolutionary theories...
I also see your reasoning. It's fine to leave things open-ended for the sake of future creativity, but I think you would almost be more effective at encouraging people to be creative if you provided them with a foundation. Something as simple as adding how they were discovered by the rest of the galaxy could be helpful.

Cecily de Demici said:
There is a difference between the species believing in deities or attributing lucky happenings to their gods and definitively stating that the luck is brought to them by the gods. If you're implying their gods are definitely real and definitely intervene in an OOC submission, we have an issue. At the very least I am asking you make the statements about their deities less definitive.
I'll reword the statement to be more in line with the intention meant. Hopefully that will suffice.

Cecily de Demici said:
I did do some quick research on cold blooded animals before replying with my recommendations. I am aware, for example, that many reptiles find their home in places north of the US. However, in one part of your submission you say "near the poles" and in another you indicate they are often not found "outside of the poles." Please correct this inconsistency.
This is less an inconsistency in my mind and rather a difference in interpretation. Nonetheless, this will be edited to reflect a more understandable meaning.

Cecily de Demici said:
As to why I wanted a number here, it is simply my preference as a Codex Judge to have some hard numbers when evaluating a submission. Whether it be to check it against the population numbers of a planet or what have you. Either way, the template asks for an estimate which is a rough calculation and I'd appreciate it if you'd make this addition. As for the Galactic Standard bit, I'm not really married to the request I made for you to change it. However, when you take into account how many things are referred to with "Galactic Standard," it might be prudent to simply add "population size." after it.
I understand what you mean, but to my mind either way of stating it makes no difference; the same meaning is derived in both cases. It's a question of synonymous labels to my eyes. I understand your preference for solid numbers, but due to precedence of previous submissions made by myself and others where lack of numbers is apparent in approved submissions, I'd rather leave numbers out of the submission at this time.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
Everything looks fine, however, I will once again request that you provide me with an estimate of the species. The number does not have to be exact, but it does have to be in this submission.

I did not judge the other submissions of yours where the vague estimation was permitted, but (especially for sentient species) I do my best to avoid vagueness.

This is a very small hurdle to your submission being approved. Please tag me when you have made your decision.

I understand that numbers are your preference, however I've never been required to put forward solid numbers for a species. In fact, outside rough estimates for planetary populations I can't think of a single species submission I have made where numbers were outright required and I cannot think at the moment of any that required it outside of my own submissions. At this time, I will politely state that the following listing on the submission itself should be sufficient:

Arrbi Betna said:
Estimated Population: Almost nonexistent throughout the galaxy and Manetuwak sports a below average to low population compared to the Galactic Standard.

This in and of itself is, to my mind entirely all that is needed for an estimated population. I understand your preferences quite clearly. However, precedence set time and again in the Codex by myself and others backs my decision to stand my ground on this. If asked, I will be most happy to provide links of said submission that set this precedence.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
If you are unwilling to comply with my request of making a very small edit to your submission, you leave me with no choice.

Please know that Codex Judges work very hard as volunteers on SWRP and the suggestions we make are only given to improve your submission and make it as thorough and complete as possible. We respect the creative license of all members, but we also reserve our right to make requests so that submissions can better serve the site as a whole. The Codex is a privilege, not a right.

Unfortunately, this submission is denied. You are always welcome to second chance it for further consideration.

Thank you.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] l [member="Snowflake"] l [member="Lorelei Darke"]

[member="Arrbi Betna"] [member="Cecily de Demici"]

Arrbi, I am disappointed that a member of your talents and longevity would grind matters to a halt over such a trivial thing, especially considering that this is such a good submission otherwise.

In this case it is very much the prerogative of the Codex Judge to request expansion on any area they feel is lacking.

However, here’s what we’ll do. If you are unwilling to give me a number, perhaps expand this section further. Explain about their population on the planet, explain and expand if there are specific other worlds with populations. I can’t see why you won’t give me a number (I won’t hold you to that number!) but if you want to do more work you may by giving me population details in writing.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
My issue is actually pretty basic: I've never had to give any numbers outside a broad spectrum terminology. For example:

Cheiracanth - "Estimated Population: Very substantial on Argo VII, almost entirely non-existent elsewhere."
Uystraoan Green Squash - "Estimated Population: Insubstantial"
Uystraoan Orange Corn - "Estimated Population: Very substantial within the Uystraoan System. Attempts to place the corn elsewhere have not occurred as of yet."
Diabolus Mortii - "Estimated Population: Lives only in the 'Lost World' valley, so it's a rare species"
Spinopelta - "Estimated Population: Found only in the 'Lost World' valley on Agamar, though they're common there."
Therosuchus Spinax - "Estimated Population: Only found in the swamps and rivers of the 'Lost World' Valley on Agamar, so there are very few individuals that make up the population"
Wyton - I was unable to even find an estimated population for this submission at a glance. I'm not sure if it was overlooked or was somehow hidden due to a formatting mistake.
Corellian Sand Cat - "Estimated Population: They’re from a world that was destroyed, however a few select buyers had taken them off world to palces such as Talus, Tralus, Selonia, Drall and Fondor"

My issue is that these submissions, and many more, show that hard numbers or even a rough estimate of numbers are not needed. I normally do not dig my heels in unless I see inconsistencies or unfairness. In this case, I understand the preferences listed, but previous precedence lends my case weight in my belief. The actual line in the template even implies vagueness is completely acceptable.

Estimated Population: [Is it common throughout the galaxy? Only found on a single world? Only being of its kind?]
If this submission will not pass without a solid number, then I will add one. My issue is that this appears to be the enforcement of preference and not precedence or template which is why I dig my heels in as I do.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
As a former factory judge yourself, you know very well that enforcement is very much down to the preference of the judge in question. I have had some things questioned in the Codex and Factory by one judge which was not by another. This is not only normal, this is good.

If every judge was a robotic clone, mindlessly stamping things the same then the loopholes and downsides could be easily and completely exploited. I will not blame Cecily for her preferences here.

In any case, the examples you have listed are not relevant. Sentient creatures, especially ones spread over more than one world, demand closer scrutiny than plants and cats. This is especially the case because you used weasel words. What is the ‘galactic standard’? That doesn’t tell me anything since it’s something which is not known.

Frankly, if you spent less time digging through ancient submissions to prove a point and more time just doing what my judge asked we wouldn’t be in this situation. This could have been a 5 minute fix. Cecily, and I would have accepted: “Very low. They have scattered populations off their homeworld and less than 50 million on their homeworld.” Rather, you’ve decided to make a big show of this.

I hope you’re happy, and that your desire for cosmic justice has been sated. Now change the population field and get it approved, or argue with me more and get a Codex ban.

Your choice.
[member="Snowflake"] [member="Cecily de Demici"]

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
The submission has been edited. My only question is are hard numbers or approximate estimate numbers to be required in the codex from now on for species? If so, I'll make sure to include that in future submissions where needed.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
Acceptable.

I am not looking for 1,024,058,451 as a population number. What I want is an indication, especially with non-sentients.

I will accept any of the following:
  • 'Exact' numbers. (1,024,000,000)
  • Rounding to the nearest large number. (1 billion)
  • Approximate numbers. (Around 1 billion)
  • (For non and semi-sentient) Conservation Status is perfectly acceptable.

Basically, anything so that a member looking at it for the first time gets a good idea of how common they are.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom