Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble Doesn't Always Knock

[member="Rook"]

Qyren's brows knit at his apology, and she added another layer to her growing understanding of her companion. She eyed the headset as Alexander tucked it into his ear, faint surprise crossing her features at the loud chastisement that followed. A fleeting smile appeared on her face at the swift handling of the situation, but it fell when Alexander turned his attention back to her. His eyes were quite blue.

"I won't accept the transfer if you do," she replied, voice and gaze unwavering. Somehow, she had changed him with her words; this was closer to the man she had expected to find when she went to visit the hospital. The distance was growing between them as he settled back into the mindset of a mercenary, rather than whatever he had been considering himself before. Apparently, he really had forgotten his job and how time sensitive it was. For just a moment, Qyren regretted that she had reminded him of it, though she knew that ignorance could not have gone on forever.

A gentle gesture of her fingers indicated he should walk with her, and she guided him down a winding route to Rindaren's shop. If anyone had thought to follow them, it would have become obvious to her more quickly that way. Eventually, they turned out onto a narrow back road that ran parallel to the main avenue, only half a block from their target. The heavy foot-traffic could be seen down the side street that ran alongside the building, and the sounds clearly echoed over and around the buildings separating Alexander and Qyren from the bustle of early morning business. When Alexander would have continued walking, Qyren caught his arm with her hand and pulled him back; he would overshoot his destination that way.

It had also suddenly hit her that she was assisting someone in committing a murder. Whether or not that murder was justified, she would have a hand in the blood spilled once Alexander caught up with Rindaren, as she was certain he would eventually. Her lips parted soundlessly for a moment before she closed her mouth again, precious seconds ticking by. She had already made the choice; there was no way for her to turn back now. The consequences of her actions were something she would have to accept and live with. This would be a choice, a day, that she knew she would reflect on often in the future.

"The second building, third door down. It could be street-level or there might be a flight of stairs to a lower level. That should be the entrance to the storage area of his store." She slid her hand from his arm. There would be no need for her to find him clothing or shelter for the evening now. This would be his last stop before he moved on to wherever Rindaren had escaped to, assuming that he didn't get caught by the authorities before he left. The hospital would most certainly have noticed his escape by now. They might do nothing, but it would be wise for Qyren to concoct a story anyway, in case someone asked around.

It was also where Qyren knew she had to leave him; lurking around the store would be suspicious, and she certainly wasn't going to go in with him. He wouldn't be looking to take her with him when he left either, not that she had any intention of leaving her parents. Several cliched good-byes crossed her mind, each just as distasteful as the last, but nothing better occurred to her. She finally settled for a smile and "Try not to get yourself killed, Alexander."

"I got shot with a disruptor last night and I'm walking around today. I'll be fine, sweetheart." He quipped, though the concern made sense. Rook had a habit for getting himself into situations that didn't always end well. She was going to be leaving him now; something to be expected really. Still, he could not shake another thought. One that stuck at the back of his mind. It was a nagging, illogical thing, but it was there.

"Could always come with me. I'll be heading to the capital. Place might confuse me a bit." He shrugged. It was a legitimate enough reason, though he already knew the answer. This place was her home, and if he dragged her off on an adventure now, things might not ever be the same for her here. Besides, all her suitors would be crying knowing she was no longer in town. Was it right for Rook to deprive those poor souls?

No, probably not.

Should he ask to exchange comm codes? No, she might be linked to him, and that wouldn't do him any good. She'd only acted out of the kindness of her heart; a moral obligation. There was no reason for him to assume they were friends. "There's this gathering on Sullust. A few Jedi soldiers, and such. I'm going there after this," he smiled, "If you're ever in the system, feel free to look me up. Kind of like you."

That was that. He turned to face the building. No doubt Rindaren had left some kind of machine to defend his property. The soldier reached into his pocket, collected a small syringe filled with blue liquid, and jammed it into his neck. The relief was instant, albeit temporary. He needed to be in full control of himself to deal with whatever waited beyond those doors.

[member="Qyren Leret"]

[member="Rook"]

When he suggested she go with him, she considered it, if only for a moment. Then her family, her obligations, her real life without imminent death and arrest on the horizon lifted itself into her line of sight. She didn't need to speak; he seemed to recognize the refusal in her face without her having to voice it.

Sullust. He wasn't looking for a response of any kind this time, though it had been phrased almost as a question. The words were barely out of his mouth, a softer, more genuine version of his usual brash smile on his face, before he had turned his back on her and effectively cut off any chance of a reply. She watched his posture change and harden, seeming to lend him inches and breadth that weren't really there (and, frankly, didn't need to be with his build). Even in a borrowed tunic and battered pants, he looked... formidable. This time, her mind shied away from the word dangerous, though she didn't understand why when it was the truth.

Qyren couldn't help but wince as Alexander carelessly stabbed himself in the neck and finally turned away from him. The less she saw of his next decision, the better position she would be in if and when someone came looking for answers. Her steps were slow, and soft, until she heard the crunch of gravel under his boots, a sound that indicated his own departure. With a lift of her chin, Qyren increased her pace, refusing to look back.

They should still be strangers, but they really weren't anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom